Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9812.gif
:9812.gif

At 22 I think you can rule out a move to NRL just yet...too soon in my view. Well done on getting him signed to a 5 year deal.

I have gone from thinking what an upity little last year to thinking he now has the potential to be a RL great.

You can see him maturing this year which I presume is the influence of the coaching staff and the senior players around him.

In a perverse way I am looking forward to watching him on Saturday icon_sad.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4957No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3632_1352982335.jpg
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery....... I will look to the moment, and miraculously, the future will take care of itself. Radio 5 Live, Sat, April 14th, 2007,...Dave Whelan, "In Wigan, rugby will always be king" 'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet..........unsure' 'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it' Worry will not prevent destiny from unfolding.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3632.jpg

Quote: king warrior "When the England squad went on tour he was home sick so rule aus out

He hates Rugby onion rule that out

What does that leave us he will finish with us dont worry'"

Darts, he's the new Phil Taylor !!!!!!!!!!!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1529No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27588.gif
"Games as big as a grand finals define individuals and clubs. Remember we are only renting these shirts, I had my time in Pat Richards shirt. Ellery and Faz had there time in Sean's, Hampo and Radders in Sam's. You have to make a mark in these shirts that's still there the day you hand it over to someone else. So be aware for 80 minutes you are not only playing but also writing history and creating a legacy. How many people get to actually write history, not many. A big stage demands big players, be inspired. You play for Wigan, now go do it. Good luck." - Martin Offiah, 2010.:27588.gif

On the RL Gerrumonside programme on Wish FM a week last Friday he was asked about NRL and he said he's really happy at Wigan with his mates and that Australia isn't something he's ever really dreamed about. He said it sounds strange because a lot of players say they've always dreamed of going to NRL but for him it never has been and he doesn't see himself there anytime soon. I got the impression he's happy where he is and hes got a family and group of friends who keep him grounded.

He could be the greatest EVER if he stayed at Wigan for his career, I honestly think that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53430_1391854791.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53430.gif

I honestly belive that with the right money he will stay at Wigan for the rest of his career, when it all comes down to it its not just about the Rugby its about his life over here, hes loving it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5643
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17012_1369957324.jpg
[img:2s4u5nxg]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k305/The_flying_biscuit/sig2.jpg[/img:2s4u5nxg] 2009..........2010...........2011............2012..........2016..........2017:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17012.jpg

Quote: Odemwingie "
We lose too many good players from this sport... how much better would RL be if we still had...

Chris Ashton
'"

Deary me ...........he was crap for you men...
I was stood in the Wigan end with my Pie eating chums for the game when Kev Penny ripped him two bum holes....he was hated by the boys brigades back then.....

as Soon As Tomkins would have arrived on the scene he'd have been shipped out to Huddesfield or Salford.

out of that List of which many you are simply having a laugh ..Stephen Myler....indeed...!!!!

Jason Robinson was the SPORTS biggest loss
Sony Bill was the NRL's biggest loss
and Isreal Folau is the games biggest kick in the nuts

but the rest were all replaced by just as good or better

RankPostsTeam
International Star48No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012Feb 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61102_1314988283.jpg
V 'You look like Shaun Edwards' Wigan fan to me April 2007 'You look like Shaun Ainscough' Hull fan to me March 2010 Am I getting better with age?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61102.jpg

Quote: Fletcher ender "i think ultimatly he will go back to his Birthplace club. The mighty Wire. Money talks and we have the mega rich Simon Moran-avich.'"

--------------

He was born in Milton Keynes. icon_beat.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: the flying biscuit "Deary me ...........he was crap for you men...
I was stood in the Wigan end with my Pie eating chums for the game when Kev Penny ripped him two bum holes....he was hated by the boys brigades back then.....

as Soon As Tomkins would have arrived on the scene he'd have been shipped out to Huddesfield or Salford.

out of that List of which many you are simply having a laugh ..Stephen Myler....indeed...!!!!

Jason Robinson was the SPORTS biggest loss
Sony Bill was the NRL's biggest loss
and Isreal Folau is the games biggest kick in the nuts

but the rest were all replaced by just as good or better'"

My god you are ignorant.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "My god you are ignorant.'"

And blind as a bat.

To pretend that that list of casualties has been unimportant to the game beggars belief.

Has it ever occurred to the "we can always replace them" brigade that if we actually kept them their 'replacements' would still emerge, meaning that we'd have even more quality players in the competition.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, whatever you do - whether it's a central pot of additional funds, salary cap modification, changing the rules re. personal sponsorships or whatever, you MUST do something. Doing nothing is not an option.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

What is it about Wire fans? They seem to be on a campaign to prove (if there was any doubt) that they are the stupidest fans in RL. I just wish they'd take their campaign somewhere else, and leave the Wigan board alone... icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

Quote: Cruncher "And blind as a bat.

To pretend that that list of casualties has been unimportant to the game beggars belief.

Has it ever occurred to the "we can always replace them" brigade that if we actually kept them their 'replacements' would still emerge, meaning that we'd have even more quality players in the competition.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, whatever you do - whether it's a central pot of additional funds, salary cap modification, changing the rules re. personal sponsorships or whatever, you MUST do something. Doing nothing is not an option.'"

I'm not sure whether or not I'm allowed to agree with you Cruncher. If I comment on the SC or on the other structural and management failings of RL I get called an obsessive, though recently I was abused for apparently no longer commenting on SC related issues. You couldn't make it up! icon_lol.gif

But anyway.. I agree with you entirely. The status quo is not an option. I would add that we need to incentivise clubs to raise their income. Wigan turning over less than £5m in a financial year simply isn't good enough.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5643
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17012_1369957324.jpg
[img:2s4u5nxg]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k305/The_flying_biscuit/sig2.jpg[/img:2s4u5nxg] 2009..........2010...........2011............2012..........2016..........2017:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17012.jpg

forgive my ignorance .....

I forgot to mourn the passing of Saints Player of the season Kyle Eastmond...

come on some ridiculous names on that List, Craig Gower the blokes a nut job the NRL couldnt wait to get rid of him, he's never a loss to our sport Quinns will find out not long into next season.....thats a walking car crash waiting to happen.

Gasnier Was a loss to a certain extent as he is still a top quality even in his final year in the NRL but he spent every contract renewal being linked with Wigan to try and get improved deals in the end he was always going to take union money regardless of where he would play. but he's come back to RL and won a Grand Final and a world Club challenge

Farrell had no Rugby Left in him when He left for Union.
Carney left for union aged 30 and was essentially a flop

Josh Hoffman has been impressive this year for the Bronco's yes Karmichael Hunt would have either remained in the Broncos squad somewhere in the backs or gone to another NRL club but the broncos havent missed him so far.

So I'm not about to Panick And Start demanding the RFL give pots of Money to Wigan And Warrington because they have Most England internationals in their squads.....How Would that be good for the League?

So I stand By My Ignorant point that the majority of those Names have not been Missed by the sport.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: Cruncher "And blind as a bat.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, whatever you do - whether it's a central pot of additional funds, salary cap modification, changing the rules re. personal sponsorships or whatever, you MUST do something. Doing nothing is not an option.'"

Spot on.

We need to keep ALL our talent and then ADD to it.

He may not rate Myler, Eastmond, Ashton etc. but keeping them gives us a bigger pool of players and also stops our biggest rival sport from imrproving.

RankPostsTeam
International Star32No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59963_1387802195.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59963.jpg

Another way to look at this issue is to go back to the 10 years prior to 1995, when Wales in particular, saw a number of their top players come to league. The departure of players to league was perceived as doing irreparable damage to their game and was cited as the reason for the poor international performances during that period. The change only came when the Welsh RU was able to compete financially with League and that stopped the flow of players immediately. The Union players who came to league had varying fortunes but there is no denying the contribution to League that the Welsh players, plus the odd English man have made to the game.

In any business model, your strength is in your key players. A value has to be attached to this and to retain your key players you have to be able to match this value, plus match their goals and aspirations. The question is, how to solve the problem, because as the game stands at the moment for a British player, it is essentially Grand Final, Challenge Cup and a not very inspiring international scene.

We always refer to Australia for comparisons and for good reason. If you talk with rugby people down there, the League people rave about the State of Origin and the Union people are in awe of it. It shows that you don't need lots of teams to have a credible top flight competition. Rugby League should put together a showcase competition based on GB, NZ and Australia - but in a modern context, well funded and properly presented. Let the same spirit of Origin be brought into the competition and give the star players of our game the chance to play in what should be recognised as the best competition of any code.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1824No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47997_1274724262.jpg
Ers tha' geet bitter on?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47997.jpg

Quote: the flying biscuit "So I'm not about to Panick And Start demanding the RFL give pots of Money to Wigan And Warrington because they have Most England internationals in their squads.....How Would that be good for the League?'"

Nobody has really suggested that though have they? The main point I gather on here is that there is currently very little to no incentive whatsoever for RL clubs to produce their own talent and then try to keep them at the club, or failing that, within the sport itself. That needs to change, and quickly. The talent pool in English RL is very small as it is and we can ill afford to keep letting it shrink

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: dirtbag83 "Nobody has really suggested that though have they? The main point I gather on here is that there is currently very little to no incentive whatsoever for RL clubs to produce their own talent and then try to keep them at the club, or failing that, within the sport itself. That needs to change, and quickly. The talent pool in English RL is very small as it is and we can ill afford to keep letting it shrink'"

Funny how it used to be Saints fans we had this argument with, and then Kyle Eastmond announced he was going, and suddenly they joined the casualty list as well. (Cue a Saint popping in with some unconvincing bit of bravado like "he was never any good anyway", or "we can always replace him" - but that will be purely to save face).

Have Wire had any high profile defections yet? I'm not sure, but the more they have, I suspect the less their fans will appreciate the "let's sit on our ar2e2 and let it happen" approach.

52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.14306640625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
Broadacres
8m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
10m