Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2938.jpg
:2938.jpg

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "I know he used to play at centre for Widnes, but has he not been used mostly as a backrower recently? His try scoring record is woeful, 9 in 87 in SL. I'll be happy to judge him based on his Wigan appearances, but on the face of it this is a very strange and underwhelming signing (I said the same about Tony Clubb and was happy to eat my words with that one and will be again!)'"

No he didn't.

He played on the wing and we signed him as a winger from Cas. Denis put him in the back row off the bench and he's been excellent, he got the Widnes players player of the year in 2014 (which was Brown's Dream Team year too) and plays at LF a lot. He plays very tough and will suit your style of play. Gives away a few penalties but I think reading these comments quite a few of you will be pleasantly surprised with him when the season starts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: King Johns II "Its the same quotes from the usual people at the club about each average signing we make.

“I’ve been monitoring Willie for some time and didn’t think twice about completing this deal when we had the chance"

"He is highly thought of here at Wigan, our senior players who we consulted all commented that he is a fierce competitor who is tough to play against"

“He is an established Super League player and we’ve beaten off stiff competition for his signature. Willie was actually offered more money elsewhere but he desperately wanted to come here and we are delighted about that"

They cant keep saying we aren't going to make signings because we have the quality to promote from within and then sign a average player like this.

Doesn't make sense!'"

True, they should have said: "We only signed him as a back-up in case we run out of numbers. Plus he was cheap."

That woud have gone down well.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach507
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36649.jpg
King Johns II wrote: 11th July 2018 2019 - Lam (Edwards part time in background) 2020 - Edwards Mr Lebron James replied with :CRAZY: King Johns II wrote: 11th July 2018 I am just letting you know what I have heard is happening the moral or professional aspects are not being discussed. Lam will be the main coach 2019 and Edwards will work along side but not in public view until 2020 maybe we will end up following the Leeds Rhinos director of rugby style. And Mr Lebron James replied with !!!!!! :DRUMMER: Lebron James wrote: Do you want to have a bet on that? I will bet whatever you want on it as long as there is a third party to hold the money. Regards - King James (Lebron) "THERE IS ONLY ONE KING..........JOHNS!":36649.jpg

Quote: Cruncher "True, they should have said

They maybe not but thats the truth. Its the they come out with like they been scouting him for ages.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Not a bad idea to sign a back rower, presumably he’ll mainly play off the bench with Bateman at loose when Lockers is rested/injured, which may be fairly regular given his age/injury record. Perhaps an indicator that C.Farrell will go out on loan and Burke not seen as ready for a regular spot? Must admit I’d have preferred a prop though. Hard to comment on whether he’ll be a good signing until we see him in a Wigan shirt, hopefully he’s more of a Clubb than a Dudson.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Interesting signing a SR/Centre when we've just released Jack Hughes (who is a SR/centre himself).

Even though he's recently been moved into the back row I think Wigan will use him as a centre, or simply utility cover in both centres and forwards when needs must (something Jack could have done). This wouldn't be uncommon both Phil Bailey and Gene Miles were playing the back row then moved into the centres when at Wigan.

Saying this I also wouldn't be surprised if Isa was one of our starting centres come next season, the 'Sarg to union' rumour is still doing the rounds, and it seems that Gelling is on the naughty step after recent blunders. Gildart has impressed but is still very young and somewhat underweight for a centre (undoubtedly overtime he'll fill out) and Bateman is better in the pack, which leaves a void in the centre spot.

Isa has an opportunity if he impresses to be a first team player at Wigan, that alone should inspire him to playing well. I look forward to him at Wigan next season.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Orrell Lad "People - myself included - could do well to remember the outrage when we signed Tony Clubb. What a signing he's turned out to be. Wigan will bring the best out of Isa.'"

Enough said really.

He's a cheap gamble and we can't really lose.

RankPostsTeam
International Star12No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As a Widnes fan i must say i was gutted when i found out he was leaving us. He started out in the but moved to the wing due to poor defensive reads. He never really has i high return in terms of tries.

He was given the chance in the second row as an impact sub and has been great. In the middle of the park he can hit hard in defense and made some good hard yards. The only down side is he can give away a soft penalty or two but when on he did had a bit of steel to are side.

Seems to be really popular with other players in the side and i cult figure and Widnes.

I wish him all the best for the future its just a shame it was not at Widnes

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15511
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43854_1545310668.jpg
HUDDERSFIELD - THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43854.jpg

you really didnt want to keep patrick did you!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: brearley84 "you really didnt want to keep patrick did you!'"

That would have cost money as a transfer fee would have been payable to Hudds and it's pretty clear from Wane's comments when it was announced he was leaving that wasn't an option.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: brearley84 "you really didnt want to keep patrick did you!'"

He's found form now but been rubbish for 90% of the season, a massive disappointment

RankPostsTeam
International Star13No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72885_1409397390.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72885.png

I was surprised but happy to hear about this signing.

To end all the debates about his position, he has said himself on Wigan TV that Wane sees him almost exclusively as a 'middle' i.e. Loose Forward and i'd presume occasional backrow. I'd presume he's too small for prop.

He is a replacement for Larne Patrick. With Lockers getting older, picking up knocks and Bateman still having utility value at centre it will be good to have a player who can play in the 13 role and tackle hard.

Isa tackles hard, carries the ball directly and is quick off the line. However from what I've seen he does have the occasional penalty in him and error too. Hopefully his performances and intensity outweigh any mistakes he makes. Of course, he's not a star signing and he wont be starting many games Id expect but his salary will reflect this and he is someone I'm glad we've got in the team.

I was happy this was announced because lets not forget it was only weeks ago that Wane publicly stated he didnt expect us to sign anyone other than Tomkins for next season and with Larne Patrick going I thought we would be a bit light of forwards in the squad.

Lots of you are saying you are underwhelmed by this and maybe understandably. But look at how other players we've signed have turned out. Nobody expected anything from Clubb but yet he's probably been our best Prop this season. Whereas everyone was raving happy and over the moon when we signed Larne Patrick yet he has hardly set the DW Stadium alight with his performances.

As I've mentioned, I do fear that his error and penalty count could pose a bit of a problem and I hope he doesn't go down the Tautai route where his errors outweigh any positives he achieves in the match but I'm definitely glad we've signed him. I also presume this means Greg Burke wont be with us next year either.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3268No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3064.gif
saint mully wrote: It was disappointing to see the numbers leaving after the Lee Smith try when I was coming back in from the toilets, I could hardly get back in scully = god wrote: We have the worst fans in the league. FACT. What we need is the passion Wigan fans have.:3064.gif

Quote: Murray "I was surprised but happy to hear about this signing.

To end all the debates about his position, he has said himself on Wigan TV that Wane sees him almost exclusively as a 'middle' i.e. Loose Forward and i'd presume occasional backrow. I'd presume he's too small for prop.

He is a replacement for Larne Patrick. With Lockers getting older, picking up knocks and Bateman still having utility value at centre it will be good to have a player who can play in the 13 role and tackle hard.

Isa tackles hard, carries the ball directly and is quick off the line. However from what I've seen he does have the occasional penalty in him and error too. Hopefully his performances and intensity outweigh any mistakes he makes. Of course, he's not a star signing and he wont be starting many games Id expect but his salary will reflect this and he is someone I'm glad we've got in the team.

I was happy this was announced because lets not forget it was only weeks ago that Wane publicly stated he didnt expect us to sign anyone other than Tomkins for next season and with Larne Patrick going I thought we would be a bit light of forwards in the squad.

Lots of you are saying you are underwhelmed by this and maybe understandably. But look at how other players we've signed have turned out. Nobody expected anything from Clubb but yet he's probably been our best Prop this season. Whereas everyone was raving happy and over the moon when we signed Larne Patrick yet he has hardly set the DW Stadium alight with his performances.

As I've mentioned, I do fear that his error and penalty count could pose a bit of a problem and I hope he doesn't go down the Tautai route where his errors outweigh any positives he achieves in the match but I'm definitely glad we've signed him. I also presume this means Greg Burke wont be with us next year either.'"

Pretty much how I felt when I'd heard we had signed him, I have a couple of friends who work at Widnes, and they have always spoke very highly of him and with the news today both have told me they're gutted he's come to us. A couple of other clubs were also chasing him, a team he's played for over here before and one of our noisy neighbours. I'll be looking forward to see how he develops at Wigan, and under Wane in particular.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7559
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I have to wonder how far off we are spending to the full salary cap and whether 2+ years without a trip to Wembley or winning the league leaders is the reason for it.

We have let an incredible amount of talent go and replaced them with juniors. I'm glad that the likes of Manfredi, Powell, etc. are getting chances and taking them but are Wane's hands being forced? Before anyone starts, I am assuming this is the final signing we will make and we haven't scooped a SOO prop from Australia.

Just this year we will be losing Bowen, Burgess, Thornley, L.Tomkins, Patrick and Hughes (plus Greenwood and Lloyd?). Obviously Sam will take most of that wage deficit but even last year we lost Goulding, Green, Taylor, Pettybourne, James and Burke (loan) and only signed Patrick and Tautai.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Wigg'n "I have to wonder how far off we are the full salary cap and whether 2+ years without a trip to Wembley or winning the league leaders is the reason for it.

We have let an incredible amount of talent go and replaced them with juniors. I'm glad that the likes of Manfredi, Powell, etc. are getting chances and taking them but are Wane's hands being forced? Before anyone starts, I am assuming this is the final signing we will make and we haven't scooped a SOO prop from Australia.

Just this year we will be losing Bowen, Burgess, Thornley, L.Tomkins, Patrick and Hughes (plus Greenwood and Lloyd?). Obviously Sam will take most of that wage deficit but even last year we lost Goulding, Green, Taylor, Pettybourne, James and Burke (loan) and only signed Patrick and Tautai.'"

Don't forget the guys who stay will want wage increases and the new youngsters will want paying. Patrick was only a loan player so doesn't count (or if you do count him, you shouldn't count Hughes)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

The guy who told me he had signed said it was SW signing and that he was signed as a back row forward.
Good to see the comments from the Chemic fans so hopefully he will be as a few have stated a signing in the Clubb mould rather than a Pettybourne.
Sarginson is leaving and has agreed a deal with Bath. After his rehab and hopefully his all clear he will then join up with Bath. The deal was to good to turn down from Sarginson's point of view and the move delayed because of his serious injury. I can only assume that there is no announcement on this because his injury is very serious and there are no 100% guarantees that he will make a full recovery.
Hopefully this is the first of a couple of signings with a centre at the top of the list.

51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
51 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2001953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
BP1
5m
Decision on the field
NSW
12m