FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Out of the current squad...
34 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9388
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13145_1273270974.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13145.jpg

Quote: Father Ted "Hock and Smith are out of the club now and their salaries are available to bring in players.
We had better be careful who we release as IL's record on signings ain't that great. Gleeson being the first real quality player he's brought in.
If Gleeson is the first of many then fine but with the overseas quota being cut for 2011 we will have to be careful who we keep and who departs.'"

Not signing any quality players would be bad. But signing the wrong players for the sake of it would be even worse.

We should only sign players who can improve us significantly.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach318No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34270.jpg
Quote from Graham Lowe - "I'm 49, I've had a brain haemorrhage and a tripple bypass and I could still go out and play a reasonable game of rugby union ......... but I wouldn't last 30 seconds in rugby league!" [img:3vzedsw8]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn313/glen264/Warriors2.gif[/img:3vzedsw8]:34270.jpg

Quote: MadDogg "Not signing any quality players would be bad. But signing the wrong players for the sake of it would be even worse.
We should only sign players who can improve us significantly.'"

We seem to have been doing that for the last 5 years or so icon_rolleyes.gif.
Obviously with a few exceptions.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: MC.FINCHY "..If they was all out of contract at the end of the season, who would you actaully want to retain?'"

Ricards
Ainscough
Gleeson
S tomkins
Lockers
J Tomkins
Hansen
Feka
MM
Prescott
O'Carroll

That list does not include he likes of Mossop and his contemporaries as it is too early to judge.

Dave

RB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4235No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

icon_lol.gif You wouldn't keep Leuluai or Carmont. icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9022No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2010Nov 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26076_1286623377.jpg
[color=#000000:1qsyq8gi]Wigan Warriors 2010:[/color:1qsyq8gi] [color=red:1qsyq8gi]Super League Champions League Leaders Under 20's Champions Club of The Year Floodlit 9's Winners Pat Richards: Man Of Steel Sam Tomkins: Young Player of the Year Michael Maguire: Coach of the Year[/color:1qsyq8gi] [quote="Wire_91":1qsyq8gi]its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are[/quote:1qsyq8gi]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_26076.jpg

Roberts
Carmont
Richards
Leuluai
Feka
O'Loughlin
J Tomkins
McIlorum
Prescott
Gleeson
O'Carroll
Mossop
S Tomkins
Farrell
Ainscough
Rest of Academy Etc.

That way we could have a squad of:

New Fullback
Roberts
Gleeson
Carmont
Richards
New Stand Off
S Tomkins
New Prop
Leuluai
New Prop
Mossop
J Tomkins
O'Loughlin

Feka
McIlorum
Farrell
Prescott

And the rest...

Id be happy

icon_biggrin.gif I dont think we're that far off it tbh, just a few good signings off being a very good team.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: RB "contracted for next season ) and the fact TL was out of contract at the end of this season, meant his wages ought to have been spent on that quality no 7 people want.

We need a better 7 and we don't need three hookers so giving him a new deal was IMO just another poor bit of business of the kind people are complaining about in this thread.

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15443
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: DaveO "Carmont looks like age is finally catching up with him and TL is over rated. He is not a particularly good 7 and most people seem to agree saying we need a quality half back to play alongside Sam.

I am also not convinced the fashion for suggesting he is really a 9 is anything other than people trying to find a place in the side for an undoubtedly enthusiastic but ultimately not quite good enough player.

Given the contractual situation of other players such as Riddell and MM (i.e. they are both contracted for next season ) and the fact TL was out of contract at the end of this season, meant his wages ought to have been spent on that quality no 7 people want.

We need a better 7 and we don't need three hookers so giving him a new deal was IMO just another poor bit of business of the kind people are complaining about in this thread.

Dave'"

I think Leuluai's a great player! Surely you would find a place for him in the team. Carmont's getting older of course but he's still playing well enough for another year IMO, in fact I'd say he's been our form back this season closely followed by Phelps.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: DaveO "Carmont looks like age is finally catching up with him and TL is over rated. He is not a particularly good 7 and most people seem to agree saying we need a quality half back to play alongside Sam.

I am also not convinced the fashion for suggesting he is really a 9 is anything other than people trying to find a place in the side for an undoubtedly enthusiastic but ultimately not quite good enough player.

Given the contractual situation of other players such as Riddell and MM (i.e. they are both contracted for next season ) and the fact TL was out of contract at the end of this season, meant his wages ought to have been spent on that quality no 7 people want.

Dave'"

We will get injuries at some point next season so the fact he can play 6,7 and 9 is a great asset to our team, and he will always do a pretty good job and even a class job as he did last friday.

Surely next season it will create competition for places which can only be a good thing.

I love Leuluai as a player as he puts his all in and it's great to see and I think he loves playing for Wigan. If you ask most United fans about their favourite players and alot will say Park and Tevez because they work so hard and are both decent players.

It also gives us options to change things for certain games if we need to or even during a game.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "I think Leuluai's a great player! Surely you would find a place for him in the team. Carmont's getting older of course but he's still playing well enough for another year IMO, in fact I'd say he's been our form back this season closely followed by Phelps.'"

The post of mine you replied to was based on a cold hard look at the facts in terms of who was out of contract, who wasn't and what the needs of the team are supposed to be.

If people say we need a new 7 that means TL isn't good enough as a 7. Yes?

If we have two hookers contracted for next year, which we do, why do we want to use salary cap money on a third?

It is academic of course because we have signed him up but the question is, is IL making the tough (and yes controversial) decisions needed to improve the side?

You mention Phelps well that is another tough one for IL because he is also a fans favorite but he is also a none federation trained player and a quota player so if IL wants to recruit two overseas players then he has got to go.

Tough job being a chairman!

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: odemwingie "We will get injuries at some point next season so the fact he can play 6,7 and 9 is a great asset to our team, and he will always do a pretty good job and even a class job as he did last friday.'"

But if we recruit a 7 and given we have Riddell and MM where does he play? Or where do they play? With a salary cap I don't see how we can afford a player of his experience as a utility player.

So I suspect we won't be recruiting a 7.

Quote: odemwingie "Surely next season it will create competition for places which can only be a good thing.
'"

Unfortunately with a first team squad of 25 (that is what is funded by the salary cap) competition for places doesn't exist across the team. I know what you are saying regarding his utility value but having kept him on, the question is can we make the improvements necessary given who else is out of contract (Hock doesn't count as to replace him would cost as much if not more than his wages)?

Quote: odemwingie "I love Leuluai as a player as he puts his all in and it's great to see and I think he loves playing for Wigan. If you ask most United fans about their favourite players and alot will say Park and Tevez because they work so hard and are both decent players.'"

The don't have a salary cap to consider. TL does put 110% in (as does Phelps). Is that ultimately good enough?

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1708No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36409_1319997811.jpg
A purple patch inspired on his home ground by man of the match WIGAN CAPTAIN Sean O’Loughlin produced three tries in an eight-minute spell just before half-time, and the GB Lions added two more after the break to maintain Smith’s 100 per cent record as Great Britain coach. Sat 27th April 2002 St Helens 12 Wigan 21 Edinburgh - Sat 4th May 2002 Celtic 2 Rangers 3 Glasgow (Carlsberg dont do weeks, but if they did.....) //www.internationalrugbyleague.net/:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_36409.jpg

Quote: MC.FINCHY "..If they was all out of contract at the end of the season, who would you actaully want to retain?'"

Great Question!

Sean O'Loughlin, Sam Tomkins, Paul Prescott and Thomas Leuleui.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1034No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2012Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[color=#FF4000:3htgpm5r][quote:3htgpm5r]I read that Leeds-Bradford is an airport and that Wigan-St Helens is a rivalry. It's one I can't wait for[/quote:3htgpm5r] Ryan Hoffman [quote:3htgpm5r]After all, rugby league has a history of ideas that appear madcap at first but are taken up elsewhere, usually by rugby union[/quote:3htgpm5r] Christopher Irvine - The Times [quote:3htgpm5r] Wire fans, like Leeds fans, are fickle as feck, and mostly glory supporters. [/quote:3htgpm5r] Sherbert Dip - Leeds Fan [quote:3htgpm5r]I will never forget that atmosphere at Knowsley Road on Good Friday when the final hooter sounded. On behalf of all the fellas thank you so much for being the greatest fans in the world.[/quote:3htgpm5r] Phil Bailey[/color:3htgpm5r]:

Quote: odemwingie "
oldest being Carmont who is 30 being our very oldest player and in contrast we have had 13 players play in our team out of our academy this season and last.'"

I'm not picking holes or being pedantic, but me and my cousin found that Coley was the oldest in the squad at 31, according to the website!

I was a lot suprised, even went and got the calculator to triple check my maths!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: Batesy "I'm not picking holes or being pedantic, but me and my cousin found that Coley was the oldest in the squad at 31, according to the website!

I was a lot suprised, even went and got the calculator to triple check my maths!'"

I had missed that one, I only did it off the top of my head so icon_razz.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach27No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I would get rid of

Smith
Phelps
Coley
Fielden
Bailey

I would keep the rest. I was unsure of Riddell but he is the best starting hooker at the club at the moment and if we get him fit I think he could come good.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach171No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2010Jul 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I would keep.

Richards
Gleeson
Carmont
Ainscough
Tomkins
Tommy
Feka
Mossop
J.Tomkins
O'loughin
Flanagan

34 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
34 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.1435546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Kicking Game
Wires71
49m
Prediction Competition Week 21 plus rearranged game
FoxyRhino
59m
Film game
karetaker
Recent
Shopping list for 2025
Irregular Ho
Recent
Betting 2024
karetaker
Recent
Round 20 Salford away 3/8/24
Exeter Rhino
Recent
Ellis Lingard
Trojan Horse
Recent
Leigh h pt 2
MattyB
Recent
Dons v Toulouse Saturday 10/8/24
Double Movem
Recent
Leigh Away
Chris71
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Squad 2024
cowfax
3m
Tonights match v HKR
Lord Tony Sm
4m
Leigh Away
Chris71
4m
Round 20 Salford away 3/8/24
Exeter Rhino
4m
Play off chances
Once were Lo
5m
Leigh h pt 2
MattyB
5m
Film game
karetaker
5m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
chapylad
5m
Recruitment rumours and links
easyWire
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Ellis Lingard
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Myler Ellis
Blackandwhit
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Borough Bonus
Old Man John
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition London Away
Old Man John
TODAY
Kicking Game
Wires71
TODAY
London Broncos Victorious Over Off-Colour Catalans Dragons
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squads - Warriors v Leopards
LeythIg
TODAY
Lockie Lam
Blackandwhit
TODAY
Leigh h pt 2
MattyB
TODAY
Weve never had it so good
MjM
TODAY
Leigh Away
Chris71
TODAY
Dual Reg & Loans The Rules Explained
faxcar
TODAY
Salford Win the Mid Table Battle Over The Rhinos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Saints Back To Winning Ways With Big Win Over Hull FC
RLFANS News
TODAY
Hull KR Top of the League With Stunning Win Over Warrington
RLFANS News
TODAY
York at home
WT_Midlander
TODAY
cats
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Lord Tony Sm
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
London Broncos Victorious Over..
Salford Win the Mid Table Batt..
Saints Back To Winning Ways Wi..
Hull KR Top of the League With..
Wakefield Trinity Back to Winn..
Catalans Dragons Defeat Hull F..
Salford Move Closer To Play Of..
Warrington Wolves Humiliate Wi..
Bill Arthur Rest In Peace..
Rhinos Comfortably Win Scrappy..
Battling Tigers Beat The Drago..
Hull KR Defeat Leeds In Headin..
Twelve Man Warrington Stun Sai..
2024 State of Origin - Game 3 ..
Wakefield March On With Win Ov..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.61M 2,740 ↓-23880,09314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Thu 8th Aug
     National Rugby League 2024-R23
10:50
Souths
v
Melbourne
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R21
St.Helens
v
Salford
 Fri 9th Aug
09:00
Gold Coast
v
Cronulla
11:00
Parramatta
v
Penrith
     Womens Super League 2024-R11
17:30
LeedsW
v
WiganW
Huddersfield
v
Catalans
Hull KR
v
Castleford
       Championship 2024-R21
Wakefield
v
Sheffield
 Sat 10th Aug
06:00
Canberra
v
Manly
08:30
NQL Cowboys
v
Brisbane
10:35
St.George
v
Canterbury
12:00
St.HelensW
v
FeatherstoneW
       League One 2024-R19
13:00
Cornwall
v
Hunslet
14:00
BarrowW
v
Wire W
15:00
Leeds
v
Wigan
       Championship 2024-R21
18:00
Doncaster
v
Toulouse
 Sun 11th Aug
05:00
Dolphins
v
NZ Warriors
07:05
Newcastle
v
Wests
12:00
York V
v
Hudds W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 8th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Salford
Fri 9th Aug
SL
Huddersfield-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Castleford
Sat 10th Aug
SL
Leeds-Wigan
Sun 11th Aug
SL
Leigh-Hull FC
SL
LondonB-Warrington
Sat 17th Aug
SL
19:30
Warrington-Leeds
SL
17:00
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
14:30
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:30
Leigh-Salford
SL
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:30
Huddersfield-Castleford
Fri 23rd Aug
SL
Castleford-Warrington
SL
Leeds-Catalans
Sat 24th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Hull KR
SL
14:00
Salford-Huddersfield
Sun 25th Aug
SL
LondonB-Leigh
SL
Wigan-Hull FC
Fri 30th Aug
SL
Hull KR-Salford
SL
Leigh-Warrington
Sun 4th Aug
SL 20 LondonB12-10Catalans
WSL2024 10 FeatherstoneW6-68LeedsW
WSL2024 10 BarrowW6-64St.HelensW
WSL2024 10 Wire W0-61York V
WSL2024 10 WiganW70-0Hudds W
L1 18 Keighley72-12Newcastle
L1 18 Oldham32-0Midlands
L1 18 Rochdale46-32Cornwall
L1 18 Workington24-28Crusaders
CH 20 Barrow24-24Bradford
CH 20 Dewsbury16-42Wakefield
CH 20 Featherstone24-16Batley
CH 20 Halifax38-18York
CH 20 Sheffield22-20Doncaster
CH 20 Whitehaven12-24Widnes
NRL 22 Penrith22-14Newcastle
NRL 22 Canterbury22-18Canberra
Sat 3rd Aug
SL 20 Hull FC6-46St.Helens
SL 20 Salford22-16Leeds
CH 20 Swinton4-48Toulouse
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 20 503 259 244 30
Wigan 19 495 258 237 30
Warrington 20 502 267 235 28
Salford 20 377 382 -5 26
St.Helens 20 501 262 239 24
Catalans 20 376 286 90 24

Leeds 20 371 364 7 20
Leigh 19 392 286 106 19
Huddersfield 20 350 453 -103 14
Castleford 20 336 523 -187 13
Hull FC 20 274 612 -338 6
LondonB 20 210 735 -525 4
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 18 626 222 404 34
Sheffield 18 510 303 207 26
Toulouse 17 516 224 292 25
Widnes 18 434 319 115 23
Bradford 18 421 321 100 22
Featherstone 18 464 375 89 18

Doncaster 18 338 432 -94 17
York 19 446 383 63 16
Batley 18 300 390 -90 16
Halifax 18 356 477 -121 14