FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Maguire to Souths - Official?
215 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3781No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Sep 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="kimmo":19twb50c]your 6 7 and 9 this year will kill you off you will not make the play offs ,keep this post untill the end of the year and then we will come back to it and the best man wins ,deal or no deal .[/quote:19twb50c]:

If Maguire did go I am not sure I want Wane to take over the Head coach role.

I think Wane plays a vital role now at the club and we should be all means let him continue his role and bring in a head coach who is more a tactical thinker with fresh ideas to take us forward.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "I have led you to a categoric statement from the club, not press rumour, on Maguire's contract terms and you prefer to believe the rumours and go on to say in another post its actually a fact he has a two year contract when you have absolutely no proof that is the case. Quite clearly you believe what you want to believe to suit your argument despite having club statements to the contrary shoved under your nose.
'"

I don't believe anything yet, and even if I did it wouldn't matter a jot because I know no more and no less than you. There is minimal factual information in the public domain about this matter from which any of us can draw any firm conclusions. There are almost certainly numerous factors which did not make it into that old press release you're hanging onto for grim death, which could have created various alternative outcomes. You don't know about them, and likely as not you never will.

You'd better chill out, Dave. There's a hint of trouble in the camp and yet again it's you who's leading the witch hunt. Frankly, it's making you look a right prat.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Having read through all 13 pages of this thread, I think I'll put my oar in.

I personally don't know how anyone can be 'angry', 'disappointed', or 'upset' at Maguire. Or how anyone can say, "well he's clearly been talking to other clubs, he's not interested, sack him now!". Mick Potter whilst at Saints signed for Bradford after confirming his departure weeks earlier, he ended up taking them to the GF. Does that ring of non-commitment/interest? It's the same thing more or less to the situation here!

Michael Maguire, whilst at Melbourne, announced he'd be leaving to coach us - yet helped steer them to a GF success. Again, where is the non-commitment/interest?

Aside from that, no announcement has been made by the club. It's [inewspaper[/i speculation!! It's no more believable than Jordan's marriage's.

Should Maguire agree to go to Souths, I wouldn't be 'angry', 'disappointed' or 'upset'. He will of achieved his life's aim - to coach in the NRL. Wigan as a club will move on, and achieve many successes, with or without Maguire.

As a replacement for Maguire, I would love to see Shaun Edwards back in RL but the question is would he leave the mega bucks in RU?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2011Sep 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23378.jpg
:23378.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "It could also have the other effect in that the players have become such a tight knit group under Maguire that they will want to send him out on a high, which is what I think will happen.'"

No, you 'hope' it will happen.

As do I.

But recent form doesn't suggest that does it ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2011Sep 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23378.jpg
:23378.jpg

Quote: DaveO "Quite right and while the stock answer to this is he was always using Wigan as a stepping stone it was supposed to be a three season stepping stone not one where he looks for another job after less than 16 months. All this its OK and he isn't doing anything wrong because he may technically be able to get out of his commitment is just bonkers. He has screwed things up for the club by doing so, so he is in the wrong.'"

I agree, and it looks more likely now that he was receiving offers as soon as we won the match at Old Trafford.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: moonlight flit "No, you 'hope' it will happen.

As do I.

But recent form doesn't suggest that does it ?'"

Not at all, but look through the history of teams after the WCC. Leeds, Saints, Bradford all went through rough patches after this game and keeping with tradition, so are we.
Not to mention the injuries we have/had, which ever is more appropriate.

I too hope it happens, and if it were me in that team I'd be thinking in the mentality of sending him home on a high. But fairytale endings are few and far between in sport.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47567_1459269569.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47567.jpg

When this Maguire to Souths rumour first came about I was of the opinion that if he went then he was abandoning the club and not fulfilling his contract etc. But the guy has come in, inherited a team that was consistently mediocre (plus Deacon, a very shrewd signing IMO) and turned that team into champions. He was an unproven head coach that has, in effect, now proven himself. Going by what I've read on here he has every right to leave after two years for a head coach role in the nrl, he has earnt that by doing so well at Wigan. To expect him to not look for a job till the end of this season would be unrealistic and impractical for both Maguire and us looking for a replacement (whether that be Wane or someone else). Presuming that clause is in his contract then Lenegan and the club will have expected this move since we won the league last year, they would have been foolish not to. As has been said, should it be confirmed that Maguire is leaving at the end of year I'd expect the players to push and send him off in style. He has afterall, with the help of Wane, reinstated that winning mentality at Wigan. I'd also hope the fans would get behind him and appreciate that the guy did great things last year and has every right to further his career, in line with the clauses we put into his contract. It's a job at the end of the day, I wouldn't begrudge him a better paid job that allowed him to move home, how many on here would turn down that opportunity in their own line of work?

Let's not write off this season either! We've had some bad results, so have Wire, Saints and Leeds. We will be there or thereabouts at the end of the year, hopefully challenging for both the cup and league. To blame the poor results on Maguire seems ridiculous to me, with all the issues and distractions we've had, then there's the fact that this is sport and bad games/results happen! I'd still rather be in this position than where we were two seasons ago, or worse in 2006!!! I'd just hope that the club announce, when it is confirmed, what is happening so we can get on with the rest of the season.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dave26 "When this Maguire to Souths rumour first came about I was of the opinion that if he went then he was abandoning the club and not fulfilling his contract etc. But the guy has come in, inherited a team that was consistently mediocre (plus Deacon, a very shrewd signing IMO) and turned that team into champions. He was an unproven head coach that has, in effect, now proven himself. Going by what I've read on here he has every right to leave after two years for a head coach role in the nrl, he has earnt that by doing so well at Wigan. To expect him to not look for a job till the end of this season would be unrealistic and impractical for both Maguire and us looking for a replacement (whether that be Wane or someone else). Presuming that clause is in his contract then Lenegan and the club will have expected this move since we won the league last year, they would have been foolish not to. As has been said, should it be confirmed that Maguire is leaving at the end of year I'd expect the players to push and send him off in style. He has afterall, with the help of Wane, reinstated that winning mentality at Wigan. I'd also hope the fans would get behind him and appreciate that the guy did great things last year and has every right to further his career, in line with the clauses we put into his contract. It's a job at the end of the day, I wouldn't begrudge him a better paid job that allowed him to move home, how many on here would turn down that opportunity in their own line of work?

Let's not write off this season either! We've had some bad results, so have Wire, Saints and Leeds. We will be there or thereabouts at the end of the year, hopefully challenging for both the cup and league. To blame the poor results on Maguire seems ridiculous to me, with all the issues and distractions we've had, then there's the fact that this is sport and bad games/results happen! I'd still rather be in this position than where we were two seasons ago, or worse in 2006!!! I'd just hope that the club announce, when it is confirmed, what is happening so we can get on with the rest of the season.'"

Spot on.

RankPostsTeam
International Star114No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58836_1302721646.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58836.jpg

How good is this Wane bloke? Good pedigree etc?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3448
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2021Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22964_1381135683.jpg
[color=#FF0000:3ohiykr5][b:3ohiykr5]Wigan Warriors - 2017 World Club Champions[/b:3ohiykr5][/color:3ohiykr5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22964.jpg

Quote: Yedâ„¢ "So now that it's more or less established Madge is going what is the favourite scenario for 2012?
Does SW get the job full time and someone gets promoted to No.2
Or
Do they look to Oz again
Or
They look to bring in one of your old boys Edwards/Hanley/Farrell
Or
Big money offer for a current SL coach?'"

Personally, I'd like to see Wane promoted and Radlinski to become his No2.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Darkheart "How good is this Wane bloke? Good pedigree etc?'"

Won everything as coach at academy, (both levels.) Every player I know who has played under him trusts and respects him.

Oh and if you don't do as he says, he'll kick your bloody head in.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1529No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27588.gif
"Games as big as a grand finals define individuals and clubs. Remember we are only renting these shirts, I had my time in Pat Richards shirt. Ellery and Faz had there time in Sean's, Hampo and Radders in Sam's. You have to make a mark in these shirts that's still there the day you hand it over to someone else. So be aware for 80 minutes you are not only playing but also writing history and creating a legacy. How many people get to actually write history, not many. A big stage demands big players, be inspired. You play for Wigan, now go do it. Good luck." - Martin Offiah, 2010.:27588.gif

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Won everything as coach at academy, (both levels.) Every player I know who has played under him trusts and respects him.

Oh and if you don't do as he says, he'll kick your bloody head in.'"

Does anyone actually know if Wane actually is this tough disciplinarian. I know he is very friendly with the young lads cos hes been with them since they were in the academy but I often think Maguire is the main one who instilled the discipline as he came with no pre conceived ideas or relationships with any of the players.
I'm also worried that our pulling power in terms of recruitment may suffer with Maguire leaving. I don't see us being able to lure the calibre of NRL players like Hoffman and Finch without a respected Aussie/Kiwi coach. The only hope is Maguire puts in a good word. I reckon bring in Adrian Lam as assistant

RankPostsTeam
International Star114No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
58836_1302721646.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_58836.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Won everything as coach at academy, (both levels.) Every player I know who has played under him trusts and respects him.

Oh and if you don't do as he says, he'll kick your bloody head in.'"

It's refreshing to see a club promote within, rather than going out and trying to attract a big name. The players will be familiar with him and shouldn't be too much unrest.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16493_1299497226.jpg
[quote="king warrior":prbr924b]Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week Got to say this is a top signing[/quote:prbr924b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16493.jpg

Quote: cherryandwhitedavid06 "Does anyone actually know if Wane actually is this tough disciplinarian. I know he is very friendly with the young lads cos hes been with them since they were in the academy but I often think Maguire is the main one who instilled the discipline as he came with no pre conceived ideas or relationships with any of the players.
I'm also worried that our pulling power in terms of recruitment may suffer with Maguire leaving. I don't see us being able to lure the calibre of NRL players like Hoffman and Finch without a respected Aussie/Kiwi coach. The only hope is Maguire puts in a good word. I reckon bring in Adrian Lam as assistant'"

It's a common misconception that Wane is the 'bad cop' in the Madge/Wane partnership. The real 'bad cop' is Madge and Wane is the soothing voice in the changing room.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1824No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2013Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47997_1274724262.jpg
Ers tha' geet bitter on?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47997.jpg

Quote: Darkheart "It's refreshing to see a club promote within, rather than going out and trying to attract a big name. The players will be familiar with him and shouldn't be too much unrest.'"

That can work both ways though. If players are too comfortable within the system it can lead to complacency in training and performance. I think Wane deserves a shot at the top job and I'm sure he'll say he's ready for it but I'm always wary of a coach being over-familiar with his squad, especially when it comes to making tough selection decisions

215 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
215 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.18115234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
New Players
Deadcowboys1
19m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
ComeOnYouUll
Recent