JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Egg Chasing "How do we know we're under performing without Hastings and Gildart and with the new squad? The season hasn't started yet!!!'"

Gildart missed a huge chunk of last season and even when he returned, his performances were exactly like someone who didnt want to get hurt in case his mega-money move to the NRL was postponed.

Hastings has never set the world alight and again looked like he was wishing he'd just stayed in Aus after sorting his next move out instead of getting back for pre-season.. His lack of quality was evident when he was forced to play with either an aging Leuluai or a young and inexperienced Smith for most of the season, except when he was playing at full back, where again he didnt look great.

In terms of attracting fans who have walked away, its simple. They want to see an entertaining, winning side, and until we start doing both, the fans wont be back.

Over to you IL/KR...

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14323
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27.jpg

Quote: Egg Chasing "- Those who had the power to get the club a replacement for Hastings when it's been common knowledge for about a year he was leaving and still haven't?

Next season

- Those who had the power to get a suitable replacement for Gildart and are giving us Thornley?

Next season

- Those who had the power to terminate Lam's contract and didn't?

- Those who had the power on recruitment and retention and have given us the current squad?

Next season

- Those who had the power to not have the disastrous policy or re-signing ex-players - none of whom were better the second time round, and most considerably worse?

50/50 that one I guess so I will give you the benefit of the doubt

I'm also not asking where you think we will finish next season.....................where did you think we would finish in 2019-2021?'"

I hate to break this to you, but a large number of the squad for next season is also based on the squad in previous season (which hasn't won a major trophy for three seasons) - we don't sign players on a year-to-year basis. Poor recruitment and retention of players who are in the squad for next season have been in the underperforming squads over a number of seasons.

Decisions made over a number of seasons have lead to underperformance, which meant we haven't won a major trophy for three years against a backdrop of a poor competition, which will continue to have a knock-on effect on the squad moving forward. I couldn't make my opinion clearer. It's not the fans fault.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

Quote: Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy "I hate to break this to you, but a large number of the squad for next season is also based on the squad in previous season (which hasn't won a major trophy for three seasons) - we don't sign players on a year-to-year basis. Poor recruitment and retention of players who are in the squad for next season have been in the underperforming squads over a number of seasons.

Decisions made over a number of seasons have lead to underperformance, which meant we haven't won a major trophy for three years against a backdrop of a poor competition, which will continue to have a knock-on effect on the squad moving forward. I couldn't make my opinion clearer. It's not the fans fault.'"

You particularly mentioned Hastings lack of replacement and Thornley replacing Gildart. Unless you can see into the future there is no way of knowing how that will pan out.

The current squad in my eyes is the 2022 squad because 2021 has gone. Again...no way of knowing how they will go on, so where did you think we would finish in 2019, 2020 and 2021?

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: Egg Chasing "But recruitment has been poor so you must have some ideas. Who would you have got rid of then.'"

Firstly and the most obvious one is George Burgess. Especially when you read stuff like this
rlhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seriousaboutrl.com/george-burgess-bombshell-on-his-time-at-wigan-warriors-44468/amp/rl

Quote: Egg Chasing "Peter Gentle (St George’s assistant coach) worked with him at Souths the last year he was there (in 2019) and he said he just used to ride a bike or do yoga or something in the gym all week. Then they would wheel him out for captain’s run and then play him. He said that’s all he could do.'"

I wouldn't have kept a centre (Hank) out on loan when the alternative was to play Isa & Faz in the backs and watch our young lads getting battered.

After that, I wouldn't have resigned French. Once it was clear GB wouldn't be here, we needed a prop. I remember seeing a few rival fans on here at the start of the year saying that they couldn't believe we've not got a prop in. We instead spent the GB money on a new deal for French and Hastings.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14323
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg

Quote: Egg Chasing "You particularly mentioned Hastings lack of replacement and Thornley replacing Gildart. Unless you can see into the future there is no way of knowing how that will pan out.

The current squad in my eyes is the 2022 squad because 2021 has gone. Again...no way of knowing how they will go on, so where did you think we would finish in 2019, 2020 and 2021?'"

Based on the fact we have Thornley (bizarrely not officially announced even though he unofficially has) as a replacement for Gildart and Hastings so far, even though the club has known for a long time both were going, I'd don't think I'm being Nostradamus to say it doesn't look like a we've been given like for like in terms of quality replacements thus far.

I have to say it's quite bizarre to be hounded about having an opinion on something because next season hasn't happened yet. Most people can see there are huge questions about the halfback position but in your world we have to wait until next season is pretty much over before having an opinion is appropriate - very strange.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Egg Chasing "George Williams was the replacement for Hastings. We all know that. It didn't come off and so we've had to go back to the drawing board. Field and French being injured all season and neither playing any time in the halves to see how they would fare also hasn't helped.'"

A professional sports club and one expected to be at the top of it’s league shouldn’t put itself in a position where they’re solely reliant on signing one player and a player we didn’t actually know was coming back to the UK until a good way through 2021. We all knew Hastings would be going well in advance of that, so what was the plan had Williams remained in Oz? Why weren’t we down the road with other targets? You have to be planning well in advance surely and have various irons in the fire. Leeds needed a half, didn’t get Williams and moved straight on to Sezer. Huddersfield wanted two and got them done months and months ago. This isn’t me slagging the club off for the sake of it, I just don’t do that but I can’t say I think they’ve handled the halfback situation well at all because I think it’s a poor show tbh.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy "Based on the fact we have Thornley (bizarrely not officially announced even though he unofficially has) as a replacement for Gildart and Hastings so far, even though the club has known for a long time both were going, I'd don't think I'm being Nostradamus to say it doesn't look like a we've been given like for like in terms of quality replacements thus far.

I have to say it's quite bizarre to be hounded about having an opinion on something because next season hasn't happened yet. Most people can see there are huge questions about the halfback position but in your world we have to wait until next season is pretty much over before having an opinion is appropriate - very strange.'"

From the outside looking in I believe you have been making sense.

The squad building looks to have been criminally poor in recent times and not signing a proper prop for 2021 was insanity.

That isn't hindsight talking, it was blindingly obvious. I recall a thread on here leading into the GF saying how the Wigan pack was as good as the Saints pack and Brad Singleton would walk into the Saints team and "terrorised" us etc - it was delusional. I know the comeback will be that "we were a bounce away" but it has felt to me for a good few years that the Wigan side was one struggling (admirably no doubt) to play above its level rather than fundamentally being a dangerous team. Bad luck with injuries also granted.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wigan fall (further?) behind Saints/Wire/Leeds/Catalans next season - it all just feels a bit haphazard and rudderless, with some strangely public noises about managing injuries, Hardaker etc adding to that feeling.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg

Quote: Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy "Based on the fact we have Thornley (bizarrely not officially announced even though he unofficially has) as a replacement for Gildart and Hastings so far, even though the club has known for a long time both were going, I'd don't think I'm being Nostradamus to say it doesn't look like a we've been given like for like in terms of quality replacements thus far.

I have to say it's quite bizarre to be hounded about having an opinion on something because next season hasn't happened yet. Most people can see there are huge questions about the halfback position but in your world we have to wait until next season is pretty much over before having an opinion is appropriate - very strange.'"

Dodged the question again I see

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wigan fall (further?) behind Saints/Wire/Leeds/Catalans next season - it all just feels a bit haphazard and rudderless, with some strangely public noises about managing injuries, Hardaker etc adding to that feeling.'"

You may be right here (again we will never know) but my point is that our supposed poor recruitment and under performing squad is tipped each season by bookies and our fans to finish in the top 2/3 and challenge for trophies. So our recruitment/squad can't be that bad??

On the other hand, if someone was to say we will struggle to make the top 4 (something someone has said ahead of next season) then by finishing 2nd in 2019, 1st (and making the GF) in 2020 and 4th in 2021 we must have over performed rather than under performed???

Personally................I do think it will be a tough season BUT if we can manage to play our best 17 for once then who knows because we haven't done that for 3 years, and our coach was dreadful.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "From the outside looking in I believe you have been making sense.

The squad building looks to have been criminally poor in recent times and not signing a proper prop for 2021 was insanity.

That isn't hindsight talking, it was blindingly obvious. I recall a thread on here leading into the GF saying how the Wigan pack was as good as the Saints pack and Brad Singleton would walk into the Saints team and "terrorised" us etc - it was delusional. I know the comeback will be that "we were a bounce away" but it has felt to me for a good few years that the Wigan side was one struggling (admirably no doubt) to play above its level rather than fundamentally being a dangerous team. Bad luck with injuries also granted.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wigan fall (further?) behind Saints/Wire/Leeds/Catalans next season - it all just feels a bit haphazard and rudderless, with some strangely public noises about managing injuries, Hardaker etc adding to that feeling.'"

I think the comeback is more likely to be ‘you’re making things up’ and that’s because you are. I certainly don’t recall people saying our pack was as good, maybe they were saying that minus Walmsley it could be and it was in the league game prior to the final. I recall the Singleton conversations differently as well. In a combined 17 at the time a good few of us was putting him in because he’d really made a difference to us when he came in and in that league game he got under the Saints players skins and did a job for us. He actually had a really strong finish to 2021 for us and I’d probably pick him in a combined 17 still tbh. I still don’t overly rate Lees/Amor.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14323
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg

Quote: Egg Chasing "Dodged the question again I see'"

If the question is predict things that have already happened in the past three seasons, it does seem a redundant question - it's almost as bizarre as saying you can't have an opinion about the squad because next season hasn't happened yet.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg

Quote: Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy "If the question is predict things that have already happened in the past three seasons, it does seem a redundant question - it's almost as bizarre as saying you can't have a an opinion about the squad because next season hasn't happened yet.'"

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "I think the comeback is more likely to be ‘you’re making things up’ and that’s because you are. I certainly don’t recall people saying our pack was as good, maybe they were saying that minus Walmsley it could be and it was in the league game prior to the final. I recall the Singleton conversations differently as well. In a combined 17 at the time a good few of us was putting him in because he’d really made a difference to us when he came in and in that league game he got under the Saints players skins and did a job for us. He actually had a really strong finish to 2021 for us and I’d probably pick him in a combined 17 still tbh. I still don’t overly rate Lees/Amor.'"

In the game you refer to Singleton was said to have scared the life out of Grace so he dropped the ball . . . . by being nowhere near Grace when he dropped the ball. Then shouting at him after he'd dropped the ball. icon_biggrin.gif

Brad Singleton would be a decent 4th/5th choice prop I agree. But that is the point isn't it - he's your number 8, which underlines the shoddy squad management.

At least a couple of props are coming in next year but you'd have to say Wigan should have at least one proven, top class prop in the squad and they have none as far as I can see and I'm wondering when they last did really.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Love it when fans from other teams come on and give us advice.Much appreciated Fear.Now give your advice to Huddersfield/Cas etc.
Wigan will be ok and we will win a trophy in the not too distant future that I am sure of.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Quote: FearTheVee "In the game you refer to Singleton was said to have scared the life out of Grace so he dropped the ball . . . . by being nowhere near Grace when he dropped the ball. Then shouting at him after he'd dropped the ball.
I absolutely agree with your general point about our squad management being poor these last few seasons (although recruitment is always mysteriously better when you have a good coach and not Lam/Cunningham) but your comments about Wigan fans claiming our pack was as good as Saints first choice pack or us boasting that Singleton was the second coming are twisting the truth and you know it. The truth was that bar Walmsley there wasn’t much between the packs and Singleton would probably get a bench place in a combined 17. Where there was a huge difference was between the coaching abilities of Lam and Holbrook/Woolf.

We’ll see how we go with our props for next season. I can’t see us being weaker (not sure how they could offer less than Clubb, Clark and Bullock) but we’ll see. The real key for us will be in the coaching seat and can he get the extra few percent needed from every player across the board.

198 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
198 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.01904296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
Boss Hog
5m
TV games not Wire
karetaker
6m
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
10m
TV Games - Not Hull
ComeOnYouUll
13m
Play-off semi-final
Trojan Horse
29m
Recruitment rumours and links
karetaker
31m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
just_browny
38m
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
45m
Leigh it is
Cbr1000rr
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
1m
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
2m
just_browny
2m
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
2m
Questions for Ste Mills
JamieRobinso
2m
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
2m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
2m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
just_browny
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
just_browny
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,281 80,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
York
27-10
Widnes
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29

17:30
Wigan
12-0
Leigh
Keighran Penalty Goal
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan12-0Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH
LIVE
York27-10Widnes
SL
LIVE
Wigan12-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 731 336 395 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 414 166 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22