FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Toulouse game.
212 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player1067
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "I’ll give you HKR, I didn’t see it, so can’t comment but I’ve seen your other three games and the attack functioned as a result of your defence. Grinding the opposition down and picking them off in their 20. It isn’t traditional attacking rugby (that Saints are famed for) by any stretch (maybe at HKR it was try’s from all over the field, 60,70,80 metres, I don’t know).

We’ve had great points differences in the past and been much the same in terms of a style of play. You score your points through your defence IMO and one or two individuals bring a bit of magic. In terms of my post, I’m saying for us to replicate that is pretty much impossible. Saints clearly put so much time and energy in to practicing that, as well as Woolf coming up with his ‘energy saving’ tactics.'"

I actually think that you could cause us some real problems this season when we play. Any team with genuine pace could (if utilised correctly) get around our linespeed.

Wakefield caused us a whole host of problems, they kicked early, went wide early in the tackle count and were genuinely inventive and different. I can’t recall a team making as many line breaks and half breaks against us for a long time. We scrambled superbly otherwise they would have posted a few points against us.

Field in particular in broken field will definitely cause us problems. I agree with you that to take us on down the middle would be foolish.

I’m really looking forward to Saturdays game. If Wigan win (or even lose by a close score) I’ll hold my hands up and say they are a real threat this season. Toulouse game apart (and parts of the Hudds game) they’ve looked good this season so Saturdays game is a good barometer of where they are.

It will be really interesting to see how your pack goes against Catalans. We nullified them for the first game however we’ve got our own great pack anyway so it was fighting fire with fire.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Stu M "I actually think that you could cause us some real problems this season when we play. Any team with genuine pace could (if utilised correctly) get around our linespeed.

Wakefield caused us a whole host of problems, they kicked early, went wide early in the tackle count and were genuinely inventive and different. I can’t recall a team making as many line breaks and half breaks against us for a long time. We scrambled superbly otherwise they would have posted a few points against us.

Field in particular in broken field will definitely cause us problems. I agree with you that to take us on down the middle would be foolish.

I’m really looking forward to Saturdays game. If Wigan win (or even lose by a close score) I’ll hold my hands up and say they are a real threat this season. Toulouse game apart (and parts of the Hudds game) they’ve looked good this season so Saturdays game is a good barometer of where they are.

It will be really interesting to see how your pack goes against Catalans. We nullified them for the first game however we’ve got our own great pack anyway so it was fighting fire with fire.'"

We’re a work in progress I think. I fancy that we can maybe take Catalans on at the minute and go close but there’s still work to do before we face (and try to beat) Saints. I don’t think we’ll be in the trophies this season but you never know. People are just enjoying seeing a bit more threat and attacking intent. When we do meet Saints we’ll need to push things and be inventive but it could make for a good game.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1812No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "I’m torn on this. It’s something I’ve been sat thinking about at times this season and all roads lead back to thinking how we close that gap to Saints. Yes their line speed is unbelievable and I wonder if we can try and replicate that but I keep coming back to the same point- we will need beat them at that game when we play them. To play a game of us meeting fire with fire and flying off the line, we’ll have to accept it’s likely to be decided through the middle of the field and we’ll be using an awful lot of energy in doing that. Are we good enough to beat them through the middle? Not a chance IMO.
'"

I agree trying to 100% replicate what they do isn't the answer, but we need to look at how we up our intensity at key times and positions on the field and find teh right balance. Especially against Saints you need to stop them coming out of their half as easily in the first 3-4 carries.

A good kicking game (it's been better this season but still more improvement needed) exploiting our pace and increased offloading in attack which we seem to be doing will be a huge improvement on last years rugby. We need to put more doubt into a quick line speeds defence and make it harder for them to rush and close the ball players down.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3098No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12361_1295957451.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12361.jpg

Any of you guys travel over? If so any useful info? Best hotel, bars etc....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5360
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: NickyKiss "We’re a work in progress I think. I fancy that we can maybe take Catalans on at the minute and go close but there’s still work to do before we face (and try to beat) Saints. I don’t think we’ll be in the trophies this season but you never know. People are just enjoying seeing a bit more threat and attacking intent. When we do meet Saints we’ll need to push things and be inventive but it could make for a good game.'"

It's interesting to hear people including yourself saying that you don't think we'll be in the trophies. We're among the top 3 or 4 sides in the comp so we're definitely in with a chance otherwise the no.1 ranked team would do the clean sweep every year! And that's before we get to the likes of Sheffield etc winning trophies against all the odds.

Saints might look to have the advantage at the moment but it's a long season. Get French and Havard in and we might move a level up. Saints have been relatively lucky with injuries over the last 3 seasons. There's no guarantees that will continue. Most of all form changes over the course of a season. If we're firing on all cylinders come the end of the season (or Saints aren't for that matter) it could look a whole lot different. Most importantly of all, finals are two horse races. We were shoe-ins to win the GF in 2014, Saints to beat Catalans in the CC similar and we know what happened on those days and many others besides.

The trophies aren't handed out in March.

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player1067
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "It's interesting to hear people including yourself saying that you don't think we'll be in the trophies. We're among the top 3 or 4 sides in the comp so we're definitely in with a chance otherwise the no.1 ranked team would do the clean sweep every year! And that's before we get to the likes of Sheffield etc winning trophies against all the odds.

Saints might look to have the advantage at the moment but it's a long season. Get French and Havard in and we might move a level up. Saints have been relatively lucky with injuries over the last 3 seasons. There's no guarantees that will continue. Most of all form changes over the course of a season. If we're firing on all cylinders come the end of the season (or Saints aren't for that matter) it could look a whole lot different. Most importantly of all, finals are two horse races. We were shoe-ins to win the GF in 2014, Saints to beat Catalans in the CC similar and we know what happened on those days and many others besides.

The trophies aren't handed out in March.'"

You make some good points. I agree that injuries play a huge part. If we lost say Walmsley or Lomax or even Dodd, we would be massively affected.

However you’ve not made mention of the fact that I think we have a lot more in us yet. Woolf has alluded to this and as I said earlier we are still to play a first choice full strength team. The spine of Welsby, Lomax and Dodd is only 4 games old so lots of room for improvement still.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

Quote: Stu M "You make some good points. I agree that injuries play a huge part. If we lost say Walmsley or Lomax or even Dodd, we would be massively affected.

However you’ve not made mention of the fact that I think we have a lot more in us yet. Woolf has alluded to this and as I said earlier we are still to play a first choice full strength team. The spine of Welsby, Lomax and Dodd is only 4 games old so lots of room for improvement still.'"

I don't even know why we're having the season. They should have just given Saints all the trophies and let the players rest for 12 months.

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player1067
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Egg Chasing "I don't even know why we're having the season. They should have just given Saints all the trophies and let the players rest for 12 months.'"

Not sure why you have felt the need to respond the way you have. I've not for one minute suggested we are going to do a clean sweep, I've just alluded to the fact that injuries could play a part. I was merely saying that I think there is more improvement in us yet.

I thought you welcomed fans from other clubs?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5360
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Stu M "You make some good points. I agree that injuries play a huge part. If we lost say Walmsley or Lomax or even Dodd, we would be massively affected.

However you’ve not made mention of the fact that I think we have a lot more in us yet. Woolf has alluded to this and as I said earlier we are still to play a first choice full strength team. The spine of Welsby, Lomax and Dodd is only 4 games old so lots of room for improvement still.'"

I'm not dismissing the fact you have more in you as do all teams, ourselves included. I'm not sure that's relevant as, come the end of the season, no team is likely to be playing their first choice 1-17.

The point I was making is that I simply don't understand the "I don't think we'll win any trophies this year" coming from supporters of a top 4 side. ANY top 4 side has a good shot at winning a trophy and, even outside of the top 4, there's still a chance, especially in the CC where it's a regular occurrence.

The fact is Saints only needed to turn up at Edinburgh. Radlinski had other ideas and the rest is history. Wigan only had to turn up in 2014. Ben Flower had other ideas and the rest is history. Even just 2 years ago Saints only had to turn up yet Wigan could (should?) have won. The posts had other ideas and the rest is history icon_biggrin.gif

I'll tell you on the evening of September 24th who is winning the trophies. Anything else is just so much hot air.

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player1067
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "I'm not dismissing the fact you have more in you as do all teams, ourselves included. I'm not sure that's relevant as, come the end of the season, no team is likely to be playing their first choice 1-17.

The point I was making is that I simply don't understand the "I don't think we'll win any trophies this year" coming from supporters of a top 4 side. ANY top 4 side has a good shot at winning a trophy and, even outside of the top 4, there's still a chance, especially in the CC where it's a regular occurrence.

The fact is Saints only needed to turn up at Edinburgh. Radlinski had other ideas and the rest is history. Wigan only had to turn up in 2014. Ben Flower had other ideas and the rest is history. Even just 2 years ago Saints only had to turn up yet Wigan could (should?) have won. The posts had other ideas and the rest is history
Yeah that's fair. The best examples of this are Leeds winning it from 5th when they used to pace themselves for the play offs, get players back who had been resting and gain momentum going into the play offs.

I agree that any of the Top 4 have a realistic chance of winning trophies.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5360
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: Stu M "Yeah that's fair. The best examples of this are Leeds winning it from 5th when they used to pace themselves for the play offs, get players back who had been resting and gain momentum going into the play offs.

I agree that any of the Top 4 have a realistic chance of winning trophies.'"

Very true. That Leeds side could hardly be said to have dominated the comp. In fact, it's relatively rare for the LLS winners to go on and win the GF and probably even rarer for them to win the CC.

I think this season will be an interesting one. Without belittling Saints achievements in any way, the last 2 seasons haven't exactly been an even comp. Even playing a couple games less than an opponent can have an enormous effect, if only in terms of fatigue and a corresponding reduction in the chances of picking up injuries. This season should, in theory at least, be the same for everyone.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg

Quote: Stu M "Not sure why you have felt the need to respond the way you have. I've not for one minute suggested we are going to do a clean sweep, I've just alluded to the fact that injuries could play a part. I was merely saying that I think there is more improvement in us yet.

I thought you welcomed fans from other clubs?'"

"However you’ve not made mention of the fact that I think we have a lot more in us yet. Woolf has alluded to this and as I said earlier we are still to play a first choice full strength team. The spine of Welsby, Lomax and Dodd is only 4 games old so lots of room for improvement still."

Apologies, but that comes across as the typical "Saints are the best side RL has ever seen" sort of crap I keep reading on these boards alongside comments such as "Wigan are nothing special". Fair enough if it wasn't.

BTW...you have more in you (as do we) have yet to play a full side (nor have we) and your spine is only 4 games old (as is ours, and arguably won't be our first choice spine)

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "It's interesting to hear people including yourself saying that you don't think we'll be in the trophies. We're among the top 3 or 4 sides in the comp so we're definitely in with a chance otherwise the no.1 ranked team would do the clean sweep every year! And that's before we get to the likes of Sheffield etc winning trophies against all the odds.

The trophies aren't handed out in March.'"

We absolutely could win something but personally I don’t think we will. We’ll tell plenty over this next 4-6 weeks now when we play Catalans and then Saints and maybe my confidence will grow after that. I think I’m just trying to stay pretty level about things. I don’t expect a trophy but I do expect vast improvements and I think we’re getting that. I do see one or two areas that we can really look to improve in via recruitment and I’m confident if we retain who we need to and sign players to plug any gaps, we’ll be right in the mix next season. Who knows, maybe we’ll get there ahead of my made up schedule but I’m feeling pretty comfortable with how we’re looking.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5360
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

We'll do a clean sweep and England will win the World Cup, humiliating the Aussies in the final. Have faith! icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "We'll do a clean sweep and England will win the World Cup, humiliating the Aussies in the final. Have faith!
I would take the World Cup part over Wigan winning anything this season TBH.

212 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
212 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.06201171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Smith out ASAP
Leeds_Luke
54m
WHO IS NEXT
Once were Lo
Recent