JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2012Nov 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41627_1288549685.jpg
"I read somewhere that Leeds-Bradford is an airport, Wigan-St Helens is a rivalry. I can't wait to play my first game against them.":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41627.jpg

OUR game will never be afford central contracts for players whatever number you want in a squad, cricket and ru have a thriving internationl scene which we will never match.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: king benny "You don't think everyone gets paid the same do you??
Whats your definition of a superstar? Australian or kiwi??
If one of the best young british players doesn,t deserve good money who does???'"

If you think Joel is a superstar then what does that make Sam, Leuluai, Richards etc. Good Joel is he is no superstar. Not even the best second row at the club last season and defenitly not the best centre.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: inside_man "RFL will pay the wages, and put him on a fast-track to the RU setup.

That's the difference between the 2 codes, not the domestic game, the international game. Everything is tailored to providing a better international side, its whats turned England RU into the team it was in '03 (and isn't far off being now), as well as turning England cricket in the no.1 side in the world.

It's also what the NRL prioritises, everything is tailored for the national side.

That's where we are going wrong, the RFL should be looking at keeping key players on central contracts, more regular internationals etc etc etc.'"

Here is the irony of all ironies.

If England wins the next League World Cup the revenue will jump as success breeds success. But by letting 3 good players (Joel, Eastmond and Ashton) it weakens any chances of winning it. Sometimes you must take a chance and RFL is playing it safe to ensure the game stays intact and keeps clubs like Wakey and Cas in SL. When its obvious all it does by keeping the status quo is giving England less of a chance of winning a major tournament. And thats the irony were keeping Cas and Wakey in SL at the cost of the national game.

I am lookng at it from the Welsh football point of view when a team wins a few games a full house is guranteed everygame at the Millennium stadium when we struggle were off to Swansea or Cardiff City. If England wins 1 world cup your guranteed the next few games are a sell out in a major stadium.

RankPostsTeam
International Star122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tank123 "If you think Joel is a superstar then what does that make Sam, Leuluai, Richards etc. Good Joel is he is no superstar. Not even the best second row at the club last season and defenitly not the best centre.'"

Thats were the problem lies 2 of them aren't British and who are the other 2, Carmont and Hoffman??
Yeah Sam and Leuluai fantastic, Richards is a winger, good as he is, not a superstar.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: king benny "Thats were the problem lies 2 of them aren't British and who are the other 2, Carmont and Hoffman??
Yeah Sam and Leuluai fantastic, Richards is a winger, good as he is, not a superstar.'"

Yup. MoS last season, try a game this year + our goalkicker.

Definately not a superstar that guy.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I am not sure if I agree with this "Who can blame the Tomkins bros if they wanna go to Union"

They are both on good money at Wigan, yes not what the RFU can give them but still on good money. If both players love Rugby League and actually are only going for the riches on offer then I am not sure if I can support that. There have been players in our game, over here and in Australia who have turned down union deals for less money because they love league and have no desire to actually play union!

Sam was in the papers few weeks back saying how he cannot understand why Union is gets more media coverage as League is the better game. I totally agree with him and was glad he said it.

Running off to Union does not help Rugby League's cause though, instead it just proves the media right.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Is anyone surprised? I certainly am not. RL is becoming a second rate sport at an alarming rate, and I place the fault at the "cloth cap and whippet brigade" who think that this is absolutely fine as long as the game between Wakefield and Castleford is a "competitive" one.

The CC is ruining the sport. Whilst we may not be able to compete with the levels of money on offer for every player, clubs should at least be given the chance to compete for their top players.

I would be staggered to see Sam in a Wigan shirt in 2013. Can you imagine the conversations as Joel drives up to Wigan for Xmas in his £100,000 car and talks of how much easier it is to earn lot's more money in London?

The only "slight" issue around Sam switching to RU is his position. I'm not sure where they would play him. Certainly not Full Back, - his running from deep will be frowned upon in favour of kicking the ball out.

Perhaps Scrum Half. In which case the transition will be harder as it's a more technical position. Better for his sake to go earlier rather than later.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1404No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I don't believe he has been offered the £400k per year as reported which would represent 5x what he is allegedly on now but I'd hazard a guess it's probably triple the amount he is on. No one in their right mind, regardless of personal reference or need to please fans would turn that sort of money down. He'll set himself up for life not just for his career years and you can't begrudge him that at all, particularly in today's austere times. We all know the biggest problem with our game is people who run it but I'm not particularly sure there is anything to stop this going through.

RankPostsTeam
International Star122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: inside_man "Yup. MoS last season, try a game this year + our goalkicker.

Definately not a superstar that guy.'"

He is good no doubting, but at the end of the day he's a winger on the end of a good backline who kicks goals!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[url:33s610on]https://twitter.com/#!/Robbo_Wigan[/url:33s610on]:

Quote: kobashi "I am not sure if I agree with this "Who can blame the Tomkins bros if they wanna go to Union"
'"

If rumours are true about the suggested £400k salary compared to the £80k he is currently on I think he would be silly to turn it down. He's played for Wigan, he's won a SL and CC. At the end of the day he is a professional rugby player. I love my job but if another place offered me a 5 times raise in salary. I wouldn't be hanging about. And who's to say he can't one day return to Rugby League as a big profile player after he's had a good payday. Rugby league players have short careers and I think if anyone held it against him for taking a massive pay rise it would be a bit unfair. Over the past few years he has put his body on the line for this club and can now earn a lot more doing the same elsewhere. I'd rather him stay. he's a great player but who are we to moan and try and hold him back. Good luck to him I say.

RankPostsTeam
International Star122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Robbo "If rumours are true about the suggested £400k salary compared to the £80k he is currently on I think he would be silly to turn it down. He's played for Wigan, he's won a SL and CC. At the end of the day he is a professional rugby player. I love my job but if another place offered me a 5 times raise in salary. I wouldn't be hanging about. And who's to say he can't one day return to Rugby League as a big profile player after he's had a good payday. Rugby league players have short careers and I think if anyone held it against him for taking a massive pay rise it would be a bit unfair. Over the past few years he has put his body on the line for this club and can now earn a lot more doing the same elsewhere. I'd rather him stay. he's a great player but who are we to moan and try and hold him back. Good luck to him I say.'"

Well put robbo

RankPostsTeam
International Star3441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53430_1391854791.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53430.gif

400k a year? Take the money and run Joel.

No Rugby League player in England would ever come close to earning that.

Hes won every domestic trophy with Wigan already and he has the chance to go to Rugby Union and have a 10 year career earning that. 4 million pounds. Wow.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20421
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:1br14l5m][color=#800000:1br14l5m]WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024 SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023 CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013, 2022 & 2024 LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020, 2023 & 2024 ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019 WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018 BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012 CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012 [/color:1br14l5m][/b:1br14l5m]:

If they are looking to throw £400k a year at Joel then what the hell are they offering Sam to tempt him away?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: XBrettKennyX "Is anyone surprised? I certainly am not. RL is becoming a second rate sport at an alarming rate, and I place the fault at the "cloth cap and whippet brigade" who think that this is absolutely fine as long as the game between Wakefield and Castleford is a "competitive" one.

The CC is ruining the sport. Whilst we may not be able to compete with the levels of money on offer for every player, clubs should at least be given the chance to compete for their top players.

I would be staggered to see Sam in a Wigan shirt in 2013. Can you imagine the conversations as Joel drives up to Wigan for Xmas in his £100,000 car and talks of how much easier it is to earn lot's more money in London?

The only "slight" issue around Sam switching to RU is his position. I'm not sure where they would play him. Certainly not Full Back, - his running from deep will be frowned upon in favour of kicking the ball out.

Perhaps Scrum Half. In which case the transition will be harder as it's a more technical position. Better for his sake to go earlier rather than later.'"

You and i disagree on other matters, but i agree 100% with this post.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Robbo "If rumours are true about the suggested £400k salary compared to the £80k he is currently on I think he would be silly to turn it down. He's played for Wigan, he's won a SL and CC. At the end of the day he is a professional rugby player. I love my job but if another place offered me a 5 times raise in salary. I wouldn't be hanging about. And who's to say he can't one day return to Rugby League as a big profile player after he's had a good payday. Rugby league players have short careers and I think if anyone held it against him for taking a massive pay rise it would be a bit unfair. Over the past few years he has put his body on the line for this club and can now earn a lot more doing the same elsewhere. I'd rather him stay. he's a great player but who are we to moan and try and hold him back. Good luck to him I say.'"

If I were your boss and you had signed a contract with me that said five years and you asked to leave after one year you would not be going anywhere. You could bleat all day about how much more you had been offered but it would be tough luck. I would not be doing this out of spite either but to send the message to all my players you can't just walk away as soon as a better offer comes along. I would see this as protecting my clubs interests and if you went into a sulk and refused to play I'd put you on gardening leave on principle. The fact you put your body on the line over the last few years would have nothing to do with it. You contracted to do that for another four years and so you should get on with it.

There is nothing unfair about any of that.

And yes contracts can be enforced as Spurs have done with one of their players.

426 posts in 29 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
426 posts in 29 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 27 HKR Away
Zoo Zoo Boom
2m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Ellam
5m