JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Jason65 "Pierce/Maloney didnt set SL on fire,neither did Tyrone May and I pretty sure they did win something in the NRL and were class players in the NRL but not as good as our boys in the SL.

Miski,French,Field all improved because of the Wigan coaching as did Smith/Byrne etc etc.

The better NRL players adapt to SL and become better players as a result.'"

Pierce and Maloney were way past their prime when they came over.

Maloney was 34, Pierce 33.

Catalans have moved from a mid table team to a top team under their watch. They were outstanding playmakers.

May has been excellent for Catalans and gone to Hull KR on a massive contract despite NRL interest.

It will be very interesting to see how Catalans go next year without them given they moved from, 7th to 2nd under their watch.

The competition for places in the NRL particularly in the positions Field, French and Miski play is ridiculous.

Look at the wing and fullback options over there.

Reece Watch and Pongia can’t get the Aussie shirt it’s ridiculous, then they gave Trebijevic, Mitchell too all behind Tedesco and Edwards.

Miski has great physicality he’s great for Wigan and the way we play but I doubt he’d be anywhere mid table for pace with current NRL wingers and they have his physicality too.

I do think we have a gem in Miski to be honest as he’s perfect for the way we play but he won’t be on any NRL radars so will hopefully be with us for a long time to come. I do agree he has improved in the Wigan system particularly under the high ball.

I’m commented on French and Field earlier in the thread. Wonderful players and we are very lucky to have them as they are so entertaining to watch but I don’t think they would ever nail regular starting spots in NRL teams because the positions they play are so physically demanding and that isn’t their game.

It’s no coincidence we looked better when Miski won that wing position. French has become an excellent 5/8th (I don’t like that term but in reality that is what he is) but initially swapping him for Miski saw our sets start off much better as French was often dominated on those carries out of our 20 where as in my opinion that is Miski best trait.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

French And Field have improved under our system aswell.
May didnt do anything in the final and was outplayed by his opposite.
AS I have stated not all players from the NRL have killed it over here
They are not super heroes ,St Helens brought them down to earth their best could not beat our best at the time,If Wigan beat them aswell then their best still couldnt beat our best at the time or is it because the ex NRL players are playing for Saints/Wigan at the time.

I will always talk SL up we have players as good as them not as many obviously but the Likes of George Williams/Burgess/Jammer etc proved we have.In my opinion its that we sometimes dont believe it.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "Pierce and Maloney were way past their prime when they came over.

Maloney was 34, Pierce 33.

Catalans have moved from a mid table team to a top team under their watch. They were outstanding playmakers.

May has been excellent for Catalans and gone to Hull KR on a massive contract despite NRL interest.

It will be very interesting to see how Catalans go next year without them given they moved from, 7th to 2nd under their watch.

The competition for places in the NRL particularly in the positions Field, French and Miski play is ridiculous.

Look at the wing and fullback options over there.

Reece Watch and Pongia can’t get the Aussie shirt it’s ridiculous, then they gave Trebijevic, Mitchell too all behind Tedesco and Edwards.

Miski has great physicality he’s great for Wigan and the way we play but I doubt he’d be anywhere mid table for pace with current NRL wingers and they have his physicality too.

I do think we have a gem in Miski to be honest as he’s perfect for the way we play but he won’t be on any NRL radars so will hopefully be with us for a long time to come. I do agree he has improved in the Wigan system particularly under the high ball.

I’m commented on French and Field earlier in the thread. Wonderful players and we are very lucky to have them as they are so entertaining to watch but I don’t think they would ever nail regular starting spots in NRL teams because the positions they play are so physically demanding and that isn’t their game.

It’s no coincidence we looked better when Miski won that wing position. French has become an excellent 5/8th (I don’t like that term but in reality that is what he is) but initially swapping him for Miski saw our sets start off much better as French was often dominated on those carries out of our 20 where as in my opinion that is Miski best trait.'"

Maloney at 33 guided the blues to a state of origin not past his prime by a long way,just saying.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5482
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: jonh "With all due respect most kids are drawn to the game because of their parents.

I’ve been a community coach for over 20 years and I’d say 80% because their parents have an interest in the game or association with a club, I’d say probably 15% come because they have mates that play and the remaining 5% are ones who come off their own back with no prior connections.

I totally agree about players and playing numbers. Rightly or wrongly too when players go to the NRL you start to see more of that clubs shirts at training worn by more lads (never coached in the field game although I am an admirer as it’s as brutal if not more so than some lads games).

There is always initial disappointment when a player goes but then a buzz once it’s accepted and one of their games is shown on Sky etc.

I may be wrong but I’m guess your daughter was drawn to Smith because you or someone close to her is a fan of him and talks about him positively too.

If he isn’t there someone else gets that attention.

The key to getting participation numbers up is getting it back in the schools. We haven’t had a player that transcends the sport since maybe Offiah, that’s one of the reasons I hoped the Farrell rumours were true as he was hand made already to transition as a personality.

I can’t remember a time when established community clubs have ever struggled to get junior teams out across all age groups from 6-18. Most clubs have at least 1 or 2 age groups missing.

Football is the biggest threat to participation numbers and Union is a growing risk too, however that works both ways.

As we see with most sports the media get interested in successful teams and their profile grows. Womens football is riding on the crest of a wave because of the success of the rep teams. A lot of the women who laid these foundations were developed in the American College system off the back of those players an Academy system was developed in England (actually headed up by an ex RL pathways manager Tony Fretwell) and now we have a league that can generally retain its players lots of media attention and revenue RL can only dream of.

We have to create a buzz around the international game we only do that by being successful on that stage and short term the only way to do that is get more players playing at a better level week in week out.'"

Well, you're wrong on several counts regarding our little girl but that's what happens when you rely on supposition.

I agree with some of what you say but you're looking at it back to front in my opinion. Let me go to extremes to make my point. Suppose all the players went to the NRL. How many fans do you reckon would follow the game even if we had a successful international side? People get interested at local level. That goes for any sport including football.

Of course a thriving international scene can increase interest massively but you don't achieve that by making the club game weaker.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Phuzzy "Well, you're wrong on several counts regarding our little girl but that's what happens when you rely on supposition.

I agree with some of what you say but you're looking at it back to front in my opinion. Let me go to extremes to make my point. Suppose all the players went to the NRL. How many fans do you reckon would follow the game even if we had a successful international side? People get interested at the local level. That goes for any sport including football.

If course a thriving international scene can increase interest massively but you don't achieve that by making the club game weaker.'"

As mentioned I said I may be wrong about your daughter. However it’s very unusual for someone to be drawn to a rugby league player without some kind of link.

You are a passionate supporter clearly of Wigan. If you had no interest in Wigan and watched football and not rugby do you think your daughter would be drawn to the game and also Smith as a player? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen by the way it does but in my 20 years of coaching kids of all ages it is a massive minority.

My son’s girlfriend is one of the top u16s players in the country and I go to watch her play as part of dad’s taxi duties. Firstly it’s a fantastic game but what’s interesting I knew most of the dads when I went down as most of them played at the same time I did.

We make the international game better by exposing our players to the best facilities coaching and competition in the game. Robin Park is a great facility, outstanding but it’s generally an exception rather than the rule at SL clubs. Was lucky enough to get a tour of the North Queensland facility a few years ago and it was like nothing I’d ever seen in the game and I’ve worked at a number of SL clubs in the S&C departments.

It’s not a strategy that sits easy with me and I appreciate it’s controversial but a rep team from these shores has not beaten the Aussies in a series since Stevo was playing….and a good few of them had Australian club experience.

Was listening to a podcast with Shane Webke the other day. He said in his opinion he was prouder to wear the Aussie shirt than he was the Queensland shirt. He mentioned how much he loved coming to England on tour and the tussles they had.

I think it was 2003 when they came and we lost all 3 games in the last 5 minutes I don’t remember us ever being that close to a series win (I recall the Carl Gibson Meninga incident in the 80’s when we really could have beaten them but not really the full series) yet we lost all 3 games in the final minutes, he was asked why he thought that happened and his response was the England players were not used to playing at such an intense contest week in week out. James Graham agreed.

When players go it’s tough but I’m not sure the standard of the competition dips noticeably.

To improve the international game and realistically close the gap in the shortest time possible in my opinion we need to see a core of our players playing in the NRL. Creating a comp that can be on a level with the NRL and have players who remain in it is the ultimate goal but I don’t see how we do that without huge injections of cash and players neither of which are going to happen any time soon.

We obviously both want the same thing a competitive England team filled with English SL based players in front of full stadium but we clearly have differing theories of how to get there. I’m 45 I love the game I will watch it at any level as much as I can but sadly at the age of 45 I’ve not seen us be World Champions or beat the Australians in a series. If I’m honest I’ve not much hope of seeing that happen in my lifetime either.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "As mentioned I said I may be wrong about your daughter. However it’s very unusual for someone to be drawn to a rugby league player without some kind of link.

You are a passionate supporter clearly of Wigan. If you had no interest in Wigan and watched football and not rugby do you think your daughter would be drawn to the game and also Smith as a player? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen by the way it does but in my 20 years of coaching kids of all ages it is a massive minority.

My son’s girlfriend is one of the top u16s players in the country and I go to watch her play as part of dad’s taxi duties. Firstly it’s a fantastic game but what’s interesting I knew most of the dads when I went down as most of them played at the same time I did.

We make the international game better by exposing our players to the best facilities coaching and competition in the game. Robin Park is a great facility, outstanding but it’s generally an exception rather than the rule at SL clubs. Was lucky enough to get a tour of the North Queensland facility a few years ago and it was like nothing I’d ever seen in the game and I’ve worked at a number of SL clubs in the S&C departments.

It’s not a strategy that sits easy with me and I appreciate it’s controversial but a rep team from these shores has not beaten the Aussies in a series since Stevo was playing….and a good few of them had Australian club experience.

Was listening to a podcast with Shane Webke the other day. He said in his opinion he was prouder to wear the Aussie shirt than he was the Queensland shirt. He mentioned how much he loved coming to England on tour and the tussles they had.

I think it was 2003 when they came and we lost all 3 games in the last 5 minutes I don’t remember us ever being that close to a series win (I recall the Carl Gibson Meninga incident in the 80’s when we really could have beaten them but not really the full series) yet we lost all 3 games in the final minutes, he was asked why he thought that happened and his response was the England players were not used to playing at such an intense contest week in week out. James Graham agreed.

When players go it’s tough but I’m not sure the standard of the competition dips noticeably.

To improve the international game and realistically close the gap in the shortest time possible in my opinion we need to see a core of our players playing in the NRL. Creating a comp that can be on a level with the NRL and have players who remain in it is the ultimate goal but I don’t see how we do that without huge injections of cash and players neither of which are going to happen any time soon.

We obviously both want the same thing a competitive England team filled with English SL based players in front of full stadium but we clearly have differing theories of how to get there. I’m 45 I love the game I will watch it at any level as much as I can but sadly at the age of 45 I’ve not seen us be World Champions or beat the Australians in a series. If I’m honest I’ve not much hope of seeing that happen in my lifetime either.'"

I recall that Gibson incident (I was at that game and was gutted)and yes we should have won that,I also remember the Hall incident when Australia should have been knocked out and we play NZ in the final (that was a bent decision). But we all agree we need more International Games what with Australia losing some players to Tonga/Samoa/NZ etc.They now dont have the pick of all the best players.

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player299No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Jason65 "Maloney at 33 guided the blues to a state of origin not past his prime by a long way,just saying.'"

Guided lmao. He literally did nothing other than kick some goals. He was the worst player on the pitch lol

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Jason65 "Maloney at 33 guided the blues to a state of origin not past his prime by a long way,just saying.'"

Name me any player that is in their prime at 34?

At 28/9 he was the Australian playmaker.

In the 2018 series he played all 3 games.

2019 he was dropped but selected for game 2.

He was obviously a great play maker and a great player for Catalans (which I think you were saying he wasn’t so I find it odd you are now maybe saying he was?).

The pattern over the years before he joined Catalans wasn’t one of a player on an upwards trajectory though.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: RobRiches "Guided lmao. He literally did nothing other than kick some goals. He was the worst player on the pitch lol'"

Still played SOO though

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "Name me any player that is in their prime at 34?

He was obviously a great play maker and a great player for Catalans (which I think you were saying he wasn’t so I find it odd you are now maybe saying he was?).

The pattern over the years before he joined Catalans wasn’t one of a player on an upwards trajectory though.'"

No what I am saying some SL players were better,I didnt say he was bad.
I just dont say everyone who has been in NRL are better than the SL players I just comment not all NRL players who come over who the superior than SL players.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Jason65 "No what I am saying some SL players were better,I didnt say he was bad.
I just dont say everyone who has been in NRL are better than the SL players I just comment not all NRL players who come over who the superior than SL players.'"

It’s odd then that he was selected as the Dream Team half in 2021.

I don’t think anyone said all NRL players who come over are superior to SL players so I’m not sure of your point.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "Name me any player that is in their prime at 34?

The pattern over the years before he joined Catalans wasn’t one of a player on an upwards trajectory though.'"

Was May on a upward trajectory,if Catalan with all their ex NRL players could not win the GF maybe just maybe they arn't as brilliant as you think they are.I remember Wigan beating Manly with only British players in our side . Now you will come back with Manly were not that interested and anything else you can to denigrate what we achieved .It all comes down to belief in my opinion .

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "It’s odd then that he was selected as the Dream Team half in 2021.'"

So he is a good player then.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "It’s odd then that he was selected as the Dream Team half in 2021.'"

Of course every player when selected is the best player in that position they are selected in .

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "It’s odd then that he was selected as the Dream Team half in 2021.

I don’t think anyone said all NRL players who come over are superior to SL players so I’m not sure of your point.'"

My point is all the best players are not NRL players as I think we have some pretty good players we did win a test series against NRL players,but as you did point out they did have some players missing,we also did have some missing aswell.

2970 posts in 199 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
2970 posts in 199 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.85400390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk V5
RAPIDO
15m
Film game
karetaker
16m
Oli Leyland confirmed 2 year deal
ninearches
20m
Recruitment rumours and links
ninearches
23m
Grand final Tickets
MidlandsWarr
25m
Alfie johnson CONFIRMED 2 year deal
ninearches
31m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
40m
Play-off semi-final
FIL
47m
Finn out Murrell in
Listenup94
47m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
Yippee try y
23s
Film game
karetaker
26s
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Grand Final
Douglas Blac
28s
IN 2025 Cooper Jenkins - Expires 2026
ArthurClues
28s
ninearches
30s
Finn out Murrell in
Listenup94
31s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
33s
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
34s
Grand Final Squad
Cherry_Warri
35s
Kit for Saturday
Pie Eyed
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
OT Rohan Smith -
FGB
TODAY
ninearches
TODAY
Brian Lockwood RIP
PopTart
TODAY
Grand Final Squad
Cherry_Warri
TODAY
Kit for Saturday
Pie Eyed
TODAY
George Hirst
Wigg'n
TODAY
Player of the Season 2024
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Released Players List
Jemmo
TODAY
IN 2025 Jake Connor - Expires 2026
FlyingScotty
TODAY
Has anyone got any idea what is going on
gardener
TODAY
Awards
The Avenger
TODAY
dan russell confirmed 2 year contract
Wires71
TODAY
Play-off Semi Final Toulouse A
MicktheGled
TODAY
2025 Catalans Dragons Kit
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Oli Leyland confirmed 2 year deal
ninearches
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Grand Final
Douglas Blac
TODAY
Transfer Talk V5
RAPIDO
TODAY
OUT 2025 Leon Ruan - Released
chapylad
TODAY
IN 2025 Cooper Jenkins - Expires 2026
ArthurClues
TODAY
Search Sexy Girls from your city for night - Authentic Damse
excruciating
TODAY
IN 2025 Keenan Palasia - Expires 2026
BigRoy
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Grand Final
FoxyRhino
TODAY
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
TODAY
NRL
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,460 80,13414,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 13th Oct
       Championship 2024-R30
15:00
Swinton
v
Hunslet
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 13th Oct
CH
Swinton-Hunslet
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
L1 26 Keighley6-20Hunslet
CH 29 Bradford25-12Featherstone
WSL2024 16 York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL 31 Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Bradford 27 703 399 304 36
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22