Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: Stu M "Again hard to disagree with a lot of that.

However Hodgson took his game to the next level in the NRL, so too Gareth Ellis. They are just two off the top of my head. Hastings seems to be getting better back there and obviously Young and Farnworth have done superbly well too. Whitehead went at a young age but he also made significant improvements to his game.

The big factor is the regular tests against the Aussies/Kiwis. As Welsby said on the podcast with Graham, he has yet to play a Test match against either. This is a player who has played SL for the last 4 years too.'"

Hodgeson's game was uniquely suited to the NRL. I'd argue that he was never able to replicate that form at international level. It certainly didn't make him into a better hooker than Roby who only played in the Superleague.

Ellis falls into the Farrell/Sculthorpe/Peacock bracket in that he'd have made similar improvements whichever comp he'd have played in.

Whitehead, essentially like Farnsworth and Young, has played most of their careers in that comp. It's impossible to know if that's made them better players or not as there is nothing substantial to compare it to.

I agree we need to play more against the Aussies and Kiwis but that doesn't really feed into whether the NRL makes players better or not.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Phuzzy "Which just adds proof, if any were needed, that top players can come from either comp.

I take issue with this "go to the NRL and become a better player" narrative as there is practically no evidence to support this. I can name far more who went and regressed or stayed the same than went and "improved". I put the improved in inverted commas because even then it's subjective at best in that there's no saying they wouldn't have made similar improvements whilst playing in Superleague.

Bateman's best season was his first in the NRL when he had only played SL. He has regressed year on year since then. Tomkins best seasons have all been in Superleague. In fact I'd say he's made more improvements to his game whilst at Catalans than he ever did in the NRL. Jammer and the Burgess brothers improved whilst over there but I'm willing to bet that they'd have been the Farrell/Peacock/Sculthorpe(s) of their generation if they'd stayed anyway. Williams is the same player that went. Same strengths, same weaknesses.

It's interesting that the best players in English history, almost to a man, never played regularly in the NRL. Hanley, Edwards, Sculthorpe, Peacock, Gregory, et al didn't seem to suffer internationally for not having spent significant parts of their careers in the NRL. I'd argue that some who maybe should be on that list, such as Ryan Hall, did suffer for going.

Welsby, Smith, Lewis etc don't need to "prove" anything by going to the the NRL. Just keep developing the way they already are and continue "proving" their quality on the international stage.'"

I agree with the first line top players can some from any comps but to get the best out of them and see how good they can be.

There is little merit to playing 2 intense matches then having 3 weeks off.

As I said earlier the best English players would make it on either comp it’s the good players who can go either way.

Players like Hodgson for example totally kicked on but the likes of Gildart, Sarg, Mathers and many more struggled. Styles make fights as they say and the lack of athleticism in the English backs combined with size is where they struggle and get badly exposed.

Farnworth and Young have showed you need that combination of size and athleticism to make it, unfortunately we rarely get it in our system because to be honest they don’t need it to get to SL level.

Tomkins was pretty much injured for his entire time in the NRL and still made a decent good it but that knee ultimately nearly ended his career and he had to adapt his game.

Ellis, Graham, Burgess x 4, Hodgson, Morley, Whitehead, Williams, Cooper all went and improved in my opinion but for every one of those you get a Greenwood.

I’d love personally to see a couple of halves go over to really see what impact they have and see how their game developed.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5482
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: jonh "I agree with the first line top players can some from any comps but to get the best out of them and see how good they can be.

There is little merit to playing 2 intense matches then having 3 weeks off.

As I said earlier the best English players would make it on either comp it’s the good players who can go either way.

Players like Hodgson for example totally kicked on but the likes of Gildart, Sarg, Mathers and many more struggled. Styles make fights as they say and the lack of athleticism in the English backs combined with size is where they struggle and get badly exposed.

Farnworth and Young have showed you need that combination of size and athleticism to make it, unfortunately we rarely get it in our system because to be honest they don’t need it to get to SL level.

Tomkins was pretty much injured for his entire time in the NRL and still made a decent good it but that knee ultimately nearly ended his career and he had to adapt his game.

Ellis, Graham, Burgess x 4, Hodgson, Morley, Whitehead, Williams, Cooper all went and improved in my opinion but for every one of those you get a Greenwood.

I’d love personally to see a couple of halves go over to really see what impact they have and see how their game developed.'"

All the listed, bar Hodgeson, were already good players and would in all probability made similar improvements had they played their careers over here instead. Hodgeson didn't improve us internationally as is being argued as a reason to send them over there.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Also if the players that are in the NRL so good how come we have players come over here and not destroy the English players,we have had some players not upto our standard from the NRL.

What we do need is more Internationals as stated more than once.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5482
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

I could go further and claim that the Superleague is better at improving players as evidenced by the likes of Field and French. French, in particular, is twice the player than the bit part NRL player that first came over. His game across every single aspect of the game has improved exponentially.

Or could it be that, like Hodgeson, their games are uniquely suited to this comp allowing their talents to flourish in the environment best suited to them?

I would also suggest that Smith, perhaps more even than Welsby, would flourish over there as his kicking and organising game is massively suited to the NRL structured approach. Would that make him a "better" player though or just one who's already existing talent is allowed to shine? I would argue the 2nd (as I'm sure John would argue the 1st)

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Phuzzy "All the listed, bar Hodgeson, were already good players and would in all probability made similar improvements had they played their careers over here instead. Hodgeson didn't improve us internationally as is being argued as a reason to send them over there.'"

Yes they were good players but I can only deal in what actually happened when they went to the NRL not speculation.

They could also have dropped off if they had stayed in SL. Unlikely I appreciate but again it’s speculation.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Jason65 "Also if the players that are in the NRL so good how come we have players come over here and not destroy the English players,we have had some players not upto our standard from the NRL.

What we do need is more Internationals as stated more than once.'"

Generally the better Aussies do go very well in SL. Croft couldn’t get a gig in Australia, Man of Steel, Hastings wasn’t established Man of Steel same with French, same with Field although no MOS same with Miski, the Melbourne when they joined us dominated SL sane with Barrett even the average NRL players who come over generally have good careers.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5482
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: jonh "Yes they were good players but I can only deal in what actually happened when they went to the NRL not speculation.

They could also have dropped off if they had stayed in SL. Unlikely I appreciate but again it’s speculation.'"

As you say John, unlikely.

You say you can only deal in what actually happened, which is fair enough. But is what actually happened that they became better players than they would have in Superleague? That is not what actually happened as there is simply no point of comparison.

What actually happened is they became better players. The reason is pure speculation.

Zig
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player2193
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Phuzzy "I could go further and claim that the Superleague is better at improving players as evidenced by the likes of Field and French. French, in particular, is twice the player than the bit part NRL player that first came over. His game across every single aspect of the game has improved exponentially.

Or could it be that, like Hodgeson, their games are uniquely suited to this comp allowing their talents to flourish in the environment best suited to them?

I would also suggest that Smith, perhaps more even than Welsby, would flourish over there as his kicking and organising game is massively suited to the NRL structured approach. Would that make him a "better" player though or just one who's already existing talent is allowed to shine? I would argue the 2nd (as I'm sure John would argue the 1st)'"

I agree with Smith being more suited to the NRL he also plays in a position they are crying out for, I’m not sure Welsby is. The 5/8th position is a pretty well stocked one, half isn’t.

I’m not sure Welsby has the athleticism for the NRL it’s the biggest question mark I have over any potential move.

Halves tend to not need that athleticism as much although if you have both aspects like Cleary you become very special.

The only thing that kept Field and French from being successful in the NRL was their athleticism. I’d say French maybe has developed that now in the 6 position but I don’t think he has it as an outside back (in either comp). Field I don’t think has that physicality and I’m not sure he will ever get it.

Plsying more internationals I totally agree would help, but I struggle to see when that is possible other than the 3 game window we now have at the end of the year, plus the appetite has to be there. Tonga didn’t send a full strength side and Samoa may not be coming due to the lack of finances on offer.

Again it’s a chicken and egg.

We need a strong England side to generate interest in the Internstional game, make it credible and generate revenue. Test matches tend to be all about respecting position, controlling field position and taking advantage of the opportunities when they come, a style much more NRL like.

The quickest way to get a competitive England side is in my opinion get the better players playing at the top level week in week out, for me that means NRL.

Longer term the ambition is obviously keep our players in SL but I feel shirt/medium term pain is the best way to see SL flourish longer term.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player1200
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "I agree with Smith being more suited to the NRL he also plays in a position they are crying out for, I’m not sure Welsby is. The 5/8th position is a pretty well stocked one, half isn’t.

I’m not sure Welsby has the athleticism for the NRL it’s the biggest question mark I have over any potential move.

Halves tend to not need that athleticism as much although if you have both aspects like Cleary you become very special.

The only thing that kept Field and French from being successful in the NRL was their athleticism. I’d say French maybe has developed that now in the 6 position but I don’t think he has it as an outside back (in either comp). Field I don’t think has that physicality and I’m not sure he will ever get it.

Plsying more internationals I totally agree would help, but I struggle to see when that is possible other than the 3 game window we now have at the end of the year, plus the appetite has to be there. Tonga didn’t send a full strength side and Samoa may not be coming due to the lack of finances on offer.

We need a strong England side to generate interest in the Internstional game, make it credible and generate revenue. Test matches tend to be all about respecting position, controlling field position and taking advantage of the opportunities when they come, a style much more NRL like.

The quickest way to get a competitive England side is in my opinion get the better players playing at the top level week in week out, for me that means NRL.

Longer term the ambition is obviously keep our players in SL but I feel shirt/medium term pain is the best way to see SL flourish longer term.'"

I'm intrigued as to why you think that. On this very forum when I've argued about Welsby compared to French/Field, the retort from a few Wigan fans has been that the reason that the NRL clubs aren't in for French/Field is the fact that they aren't athletic enough for the NRL whereas Welsby is?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Stu M "I'm intrigued as to why you think that. On this very forum when I've argued about Welsby compared to French/Field, the retort from a few Wigan fans has been that the reason that the NRL clubs aren't in for French/Field is the fact that they aren't athletic enough for the NRL whereas Welsby is?'"

I personally think Field and French are far more athletic than Welsby I think the NRL are not knocking on the door for them to return due to their physicality.

I certainly think Welsby has that physicality, I do think he is a good athlete too but it’s all about levels and that for me is where I feel he may be tested most assuming he went over as a 5/8th or a fullback. That athleticism is where most of our backs have struggled. The NRL backs are bigger, faster and stronger our lads that go over generally can’t transition quickly enough to catch up.

Players like Farnworth and Young are amazing athletes but they had time to transition in the junior pathways over there and benefit from that.

Welsby if he ever goes isn’t going to be allowed that privilege.

I’m not saying he won’t make it athletically should he ever go, I just think that will be the area under most pressure and probably be the defining factor in if he was successful or not.

I don’t think he has the style to go over as a 7.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5482
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png

Quote: jonh "I agree with Smith being more suited to the NRL he also plays in a position they are crying out for, I’m not sure Welsby is. The 5/8th position is a pretty well stocked one, half isn’t.

Longer term the ambition is obviously keep our players in SL but I feel shirt/medium term pain is the best way to see SL flourish longer term.'"

I couldn't disagree more with that last statement. There is literally no long term advantage to short termism. The only benefit to short termism is in the short term. The clue is in the term itself.

The answer to long term growth is the exact opposite of what you propose. Our game has been decimated by successive short term approaches and fixes. The only answer to long term growth is to invest in the long term.

The future of our game lies in attracting more young people, both to play and watch, and that takes stars of the game. No kid is going to come to the game because Josh Hodgeson is doing well in Australia!

Let me show you what I mean with a real world example. Our little girl has just turned 10. Last season was her first supporting Wigan and she's taken a shine to Harry Smith. Because of this she joined Leigh Miners under 11s and is loving it. In simple terms no Harry Smith, no new recruit to the amateur game. In addition her Mum took her to watch the Tonga game at the TWS for the same reason. Internationally, no Harry Smith, 2 lost ticket sales and money lost to the game. This same scenario is repeated time and again.

And if your still unconvinced as to the necessity to keep players in this country let me finish with this: on Tuesday we went to the Night under the lights event. While we were queueing we were looking at the players on the wall (the one showing their different heights). When I mentioned John Bateman she replied "who's John Bateman?" Meanwhile she couldn't wait to get her picture taken with Harry, Marshy etc. I think that says it all.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Quote: Phuzzy "I couldn't disagree more with that last statement. There is literally no long term advantage to short termism. The only benefit to short termism is in the short term. The clue is in the term itself.

The answer to long term growth is the exact opposite of what you propose. Our game has been decimated by successive short term approaches and fixes. The only answer to long term growth is to invest in the long term.

The future of our game lies in attracting more young people, both to play and watch, and that takes stars of the game. No kid is going to come to the game because Josh Hodgeson is doing well in Australia!

Let me show you what I mean with a real world example. Our little girl has just turned 10. Last season was her first supporting Wigan and she's taken a shine to Harry Smith. Because of this she joined Leigh Miners under 11s and is loving it. In simple terms no Harry Smith, no new recruit to the amateur game. In addition her Mum took her to watch the Tonga game at the TWS for the same reason. Internationally, no Harry Smith, 2 lost ticket sales and money lost to the game. This same scenario is repeated time and again.

And if your still unconvinced as to the necessity to keep players in this country let me finish with this

With all due respect most kids are drawn to the game because of their parents.

I’ve been a community coach for over 20 years and I’d say 80% because their parents have an interest in the game or association with a club, I’d say probably 15% come because they have mates that play and the remaining 5% are ones who come off their own back with no prior connections.

I totally agree about players and playing numbers. Rightly or wrongly too when players go to the NRL you start to see more of that clubs shirts at training worn by more lads (never coached in the field game although I am an admirer as it’s as brutal if not more so than some lads games).

There is always initial disappointment when a player goes but then a buzz once it’s accepted and one of their games is shown on Sky etc.

I may be wrong but I’m guess your daughter was drawn to Smith because you or someone close to her is a fan of him and talks about him positively too.

If he isn’t there someone else gets that attention.

The key to getting participation numbers up is getting it back in the schools. We haven’t had a player that transcends the sport since maybe Offiah, that’s one of the reasons I hoped the Farrell rumours were true as he was hand made already to transition as a personality.

I can’t remember a time when established community clubs have ever struggled to get junior teams out across all age groups from 6-18. Most clubs have at least 1 or 2 age groups missing.

Football is the biggest threat to participation numbers and Union is a growing risk too, however that works both ways.

As we see with most sports the media get interested in successful teams and their profile grows. Womens football is riding on the crest of a wave because of the success of the rep teams. A lot of the women who laid these foundations were developed in the American College system off the back of those players an Academy system was developed in England (actually headed up by an ex RL pathways manager Tony Fretwell) and now we have a league that can generally retain its players lots of media attention and revenue RL can only dream of.

We have to create a buzz around the international game we only do that by being successful on that stage and short term the only way to do that is get more players playing at a better level week in week out.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1353
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "Generally the better Aussies do go very well in SL. Croft couldn’t get a gig in Australia, Man of Steel, Hastings wasn’t established Man of Steel same with French, same with Field although no MOS same with Miski, the Melbourne when they joined us dominated SL sane with Barrett even the average NRL players who come over generally have good careers.'"

Pierce/Maloney didnt set SL on fire,neither did Tyrone May and I pretty sure they did win something in the NRL and were class players in the NRL but not as good as our boys in the SL.

Miski,French,Field all improved because of the Wigan coaching as did Smith/Byrne etc etc.

The better NRL players adapt to SL and become better players as a result.

2970 posts in 199 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
2970 posts in 199 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.57568359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
8m
OT Rohan Smith -
Trebor1
18m
Rumours thread
PopTart
19m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
Boss Hog
33m
Transfer Talk V5
Sir Gregory
35m
Brian Lockwood RIP
Start@1873
49m
Film game
Boss Hog
55m
Grand final Tickets
MattyB
58m
Recruitment rumours and links
Or thane
Recent
Grand Final Squad
NickyKiss
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
MattyB
36s
Finn out Murrell in
Tony Fax
47s
Grand Final Squad
NickyKiss
50s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
57s
Brian Lockwood RIP
Start@1873
59s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Irregular Ho
59s
George Hirst
Wigg'n
1m
OT Rohan Smith -
Trebor1
1m
New Players
Deadcowboys1
2m
IN 2025 Jake Connor - Expires 2026
FlyingScotty
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
OT Rohan Smith -
Trebor1
TODAY
Alfie johnson CONFIRMED 2 year deal
ninearches
TODAY
Brian Lockwood RIP
Start@1873
TODAY
Grand Final Squad
NickyKiss
TODAY
Kit for Saturday
Pie Eyed
TODAY
George Hirst
Wigg'n
TODAY
Player of the Season 2024
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Released Players List
Jemmo
TODAY
IN 2025 Jake Connor - Expires 2026
FlyingScotty
TODAY
Has anyone got any idea what is going on
gardener
TODAY
Awards
The Avenger
TODAY
dan russell confirmed 2 year contract
Wires71
TODAY
Play-off Semi Final Toulouse A
MicktheGled
TODAY
2025 Catalans Dragons Kit
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Oli Leyland confirmed 2 year deal
ninearches
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Grand Final
Douglas Blac
TODAY
Transfer Talk V5
Sir Gregory
TODAY
OUT 2025 Leon Ruan - Released
chapylad
TODAY
IN 2025 Cooper Jenkins - Expires 2026
ArthurClues
TODAY
Search Sexy Girls from your city for night - Authentic Damse
excruciating
TODAY
IN 2025 Keenan Palasia - Expires 2026
BigRoy
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Grand Final
FoxyRhino
TODAY
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
TODAY
NRL
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,766 ↑33780,13414,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 13th Oct
       Championship 2024-R30
15:00
Swinton
v
Hunslet
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 13th Oct
CH
Swinton-Hunslet
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
L1 26 Keighley6-20Hunslet
CH 29 Bradford25-12Featherstone
WSL2024 16 York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL 31 Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Bradford 27 703 399 304 36
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22