JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: mikey800 "While I agree the game has probably shifted too far, and I'm certainly glad I've finished officiating, we can't place the blame entirely at the door of the RFL.

If things had not changed, we wouldn't have any form of RL to watch in this country. Too many people have backed the game into a corner. I can see a point where the impact of the cards will finally see a real adjustment from players and it will improve things.

I know several people will call this a dream or stupidity, but it's the only way our game can survive and I have to try and believe it can.'"

Just no on every level and with all due respect, as I don't know you, that's exactly what I'd expect a ref to say.

Firstly, you can't adjust for things like last night. Heck, I'm not even in favour of lowering the tackle height. It would just mean softer defence, more stupid offloads and games ending 60 points to 40. Give me a 8 - 4 Wigan Vs Manly, or a low scoring, attritional SOO game any day of the week. Brutal defence, big hits, hard running and a bit of good old biff.

There is nothing wrong with the game. Players don't need to be protected. The game doesn't need it's gladiatorial elements removing from it.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3726
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4067_1617434324.jpeg
1998,2010,2013,2016,2018 & 2023.....I was there ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4067.jpeg

I don’t enjoy the game anymore which ultimately will lead to me not going at all. The excitement of hearing and seeing the big hits is what attracted me to the game all those years ago. But now, watching it is akin to looking forward to a pint of Stella and being served a Skol shandy
It’s sad times and unfortunately I don’t see a way forward

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1841No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I’m in favour of the clampdown on head high contact. With the legal action being taken by past players the game has no choice. Insurance is obviously a problem though the NRL must have insurance so why not approach that company?

I’d go as far as to say that 90 - 99% of high tackles are accidental. Some are simply an accident, others due to circumstances or down to poor technique. I’ve no issue with players being sent from the field, it puts the onus on them to get their technique right. If they do and it still happens then it’s a penalty and no more. Ellis against Cas is a prime example of that. His tackle position was good, he was wrapping the arms and the Cas player slipped into him so the attackers height changed fractionally before contact. Conversely Watts, although not intended, his body shape was tall and arm wrapping so although Dupree was low he did not change height therefore red card & 4 matches.

The game simply HAS to apply some common sense. I get why the red card was given against brown, by the letter of the law direct forceful contact with no obvious mitigating factors.

I’d argue that Currie swung round and went into Brown as much as Brown went into Currie. There was literally nothing either player could do about it. It wasn’t a head butt. There was no swinging arms, no recklessly throwing arms and legs in random directions. Just a simple accidental clash of heads.

I quite like an idea muted by Wilkin last night. If they’re not sure about whether it’s yellow or red sin bin the player and give the VR 10 mins to review then upgrade to a red if appropriate. Perhaps introduce an orange card for this.

All that said I’m not going to throw my toys out of the pram and suddenly stop watching a sport I’ve loved for 45 years because the RFL have not quite got the interpretation right for a new law introduced for the best intentions.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15209No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sergeant pepper "Just no on every level and with all due respect, as I don't know you, that's exactly what I'd expect a ref to say.

Firstly, you can't adjust for things like last night. Heck, I'm not even in favour of lowering the tackle height. It would just mean softer defence, more stupid offloads and games ending 60 points to 40. Give me a 8 - 4 Wigan Vs Manly, or a low scoring, attritional SOO game any day of the week. Brutal defence, big hits, hard running and a bit of good old biff.

There is nothing wrong with the game. Players don't need to be protected. The game doesn't need it's gladiatorial elements removing from it.'"

I mostly agree with this. I'd argue that player welfare is important, but it's also plain that the best and surest way to protect players is for them not to participate at all.

It's their choice. As it always has been.

No one is forced to play rugby league. And anyone who says they didn't know how dangerous it was is simply lying. They shouldn't even be given the time of day, never mind be allowed to put a court case together.

In all honesty, I don't know what rankles with me more: the fact this is happening just when we were entering a new age of mass publicity, or the names of some of the players who are causing it.

You talk about two-bit troublemakers. That doesn't even come close to describing them.

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player1064
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

This isn’t hyperbole but on Good Friday we genuinely could be looking at 11 v 11

With a capacity crowd and a hostile atmosphere it could happen.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29437
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Stu M "This isn’t hyperbole but on Good Friday we genuinely could be looking at 11 v 11

With a capacity crowd and a hostile atmosphere it could happen.'"

If they carry on with the bans that 11 v 11 might be from kick off!

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player1064
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I’m going to Hudds today with my eldest lad. He’s 13 and wants to tick off the away grounds now like I did at a similar age. He’s been to Wigan, Salford and Leeds and now obviously wants to do more.

However there’s a very real chance the game could be ruined by a controversial decision. Granted we are no angels but there’s a real worry in me that a Sironen/Matautia walks early doors and it’s game over.

It’s a strange feeling going to games at the moment

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1587
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15483.jpg
:15483.jpg

Quote: Cruncher "I mostly agree with this. I'd argue that player welfare is important, but it's also plain that the best and surest way to protect players is for them not to participate at all.

It's their choice. As it always has been.

No one is forced to play rugby league. And anyone who says they didn't know how dangerous it was is simply lying. They shouldn't even be given the time of day, never mind be allowed to put a court case together.

In all honesty, I don't know what rankles with me more

Sadly, like so much usualy does, it comes down to money. Some ex-players and grubby lawyers have a sniff of getting a big payout and hang the consequences - if it destroys the game which gave them a living originally then that doesn't bother their conscience one iota (assuming they have one).

Both codes of rugby are going the the same way (with RU a bit further along) - as a consequence of the blame someone else culture and the contant using of the latest information and current hand-wringing thiking to apply to the past (happening in so many areas not just sport). Sadly RL is too small in this country - if the ex-players win big then it could be disastorous.

Sport is about entertainment - that is something that a lot of sports are loosing sight of.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2845
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Is there still a "sending off sufficient" option in the disciplinary ?
It will be absolutely shocking if Nu Brown gets a ban on top of that sending off.
He's made a brilliant statement about last night
https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/there-ha ... WA4G2s3hIE
Is there still a "sending off sufficient" option in the disciplinary ?
It will be absolutely shocking if Nu Brown gets a ban on top of that sending off.
https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/there-ha ... WA4G2s3hIE

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29437
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

When you hear about the insurance issues, it’s clearly a money problem and we don’t have the finance to make it go away. I look at football and they started making a thing of concussions last year but even when players clashed heads or looked dazed from an elbow or similar they didn’t really bother doing anything, even though they’d brought in new protocols. This season I hear nothing of it whatsoever. It’s just brushed under the carpet and I can only think the lack of a threat of financial oblivion makes it easy to turn a blind eye.

It’s been much the same for years with things like recreational drugs use. Rugby League players picking up bans of 2 years here and there, whereas football players must have all been squeaky clean and living an athletes life…honest! The same goes for legal cases, were trials miraculously fall apart or not guilty verdicts come through against all odds. A certain player from a Merseyside club was accused of a crime around 18 months ago and seems to have just disappeared of the face of the earth since and it doesn’t get spoke of. I’m in no way one of those conspiracy theory nuts but I’ve no doubt money is helping.

Rugby League looks to be an easy target for ambulance chasers and insurance companies. How we break that is anyone’s guess. A breakaway league? The NRL taking us over? Player waivers? Not a clue tbh but I hope somebody has.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15209No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: apollosghost "Is there still a "sending off sufficient" option in the disciplinary ?

He puts it very well, and somehow manages to keep a lid on his emotions.

The line in the sand has to come before 2025. That will be the point of no return.

Zig
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player1857
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Stu M "I’m going to Hudds today with my eldest lad. He’s 13 and wants to tick off the away grounds now like I did at a similar age. He’s been to Wigan, Salford and Leeds and now obviously wants to do more.

However there’s a very real chance the game could be ruined by a controversial decision. Granted we are no angels but there’s a real worry in me that a Sironen/Matautia walks early doors and it’s game over.

It’s a strange feeling going to games at the moment'"

The sad fact is that many games will no longer be decided by skill. Something needs to change fast or the majority of rugby fans will become disillusioned.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2845
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Zig "The sad fact is that many games will no longer be decided by skill. Something needs to change fast or the majority of rugby fans will become disillusioned.'"

Two things professional sport needs, players and spectators and the governing body is currently alienating both groups, as Nu Brown says above it really is line in the sand time

Edit, match day officials as well, the refs must be dreading going on to the field

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner517No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Fozzie Bear.gif
Leigh....They still point at planes!:Black Backgrounds/Fozzie Bear.gif

Jon Wilkin raised a good point yesterday, why don't they do what RU do, sin bin the player and it gives 10 minutes to review the decision, if it is bad, the card gets changed, and the player cant return. it takes the crowd out of the equation, and allows refs to take time to decide if its a red or not.

its not perfect but if they make a mistake its a sin bin at worst

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player327
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78137_1709821937.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78137.jpg

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ommunities

Can't say i disagree with any of that.

Good to see people from all area's of the game speaking out about this.
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ommunities

Can't say i disagree with any of that.

Good to see people from all area's of the game speaking out about this.

45 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
45 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.0107421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Shinedown
4m
Nathan Mason
Bullseye
4m
BORED The Band Name Game
Shinedown
23m
Reserves v London
GP1
57m
Barrow
supercat
Recent
2024 l Academy Scholarship & Reserves News
fanstanningl
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Trebor1
47s
Betting 2024
karetaker
1m
Game - Song Titles
Shinedown
1m
Rumours and signings v9
The Biffs Ba
1m
Jayden Okunbor
tommyfromhul
1m
International
MorePlaymake
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Shinedown
2m
Lee Briers
Fantastic Mr
2m
2025 Recruitment
Rafa9
2m
Half Time Report
Kettykat
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Nathan Mason
Bullseye
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
Wire Weaver
TODAY
Half Time Report
Kettykat
TODAY
Dewsbury v Dons Sunday 7/7/24 3pm
Wanderer
TODAY
Our next 2 meetings
H.G.S.A
TODAY
Lee Briers
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity Register Thirteenth Win Of The Season With Victory Over Barrow
RLFANS News
TODAY
Academy Origin
B0NES
TODAY
Catalan Away
B0NES
TODAY
Englands Youngsters Beat France With Ease Despite Early Scare
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves v London