Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Edinburgh Warrior "Many on here don't want him because of his Union connections but still crave the presence of a certain Mr S Edwards .

Strange .

Regards , EW'"

That one became more unlikely then ever when he signed a 4 year extension to his Wales contract this week.

Nor he or Farrell could walk straight in to the top job here without working as an assistant first IMO. They've both been out of the game too long. The chances of getting them in as an assistant at any point is less then slim.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sergeant pepper "Of course he'd have to contribute. If guys like Agar and KFC can 'contribute' then I can't see why Faz can't.

Some of thr posts are going too far imo. Out of all the players who moved over to RU -Robinson, Paul, Hape, Ashton, big Les, Burgess etc Faz is the one that earned the right to not have this sort of nonsense thrown at him. He had a long and glittering RL career and moved to RU at the end of his career for a once in a lifetime payout.

I have no issues with that because if anyone in sport deserved one last pay day then it was Faz.'"

Deserving has got nothing to do with it. We are talking about how much a new employee can benefit Wigan RL, and nothing more.

By quoting Agar and KFC you seem to be implying that we should employ Faz as coach, which is at least as big a load of nonsense as the 'we hate him because he was in RU' stuff that you rightly take issue with. Andy Farrell has never coached in RL, and his RU coaching career is chequered - so any possibilty of his walking into a big job at Wigan is a non-starter.

Maybe he'd be prepared to start as an assistant, where he could learn his trade, though I couldn't see he'd want that given the wages and status he's been used to.

Someone else mentioned Shaun Edwards. I think his chance has also now gone, but I feel there are two key differences between him and Farrell: Edwards has been successful in his time as a coach (albeit in a different code, which would still be an issue for me), and Edwards has not been implicated in luring RL players to RU. That latter point is not of overweening importance, except it indicates to me an innate loyalty to RL which would be a reassuring factor if we were to consider hiring him again. As I say, though, I think Shaun's opportunity has also been and gone.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7558
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Father Ted "If there was a vacancy I'd have him, there isn't though.'"

Who is our assistant coach these days?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB181.gif
:cartoons/WB181.gif

Quote: sergeant pepper "It takes some doing but that's one of the stupidest posts I've seen on here in a good long while.

He 'made his bed' carrying Wigan on his back for 10+ years. I can't honestly remember a time during any of his 350+ appearances for Wigan when he didn't give anything short of his full effort. I also can't remember him missing or ducking an international series either which is more than can be said for some 'legends' who he played against.

How easily people forget how much both he and Rads held our club together.

Quite simply a club legend who should always be welcome back.'"

Where did I mention Wigan? I admire your club for the player production and willingness to blood the kids, but don't support it. The RFU should rot in hell in my book for crimes against our sport both direct and indirect, but for some reason I don't have the same hate for Welsh RU which is why I would have no issue with Edwards coming back in a paid capacity to RL. Leave Farrell in your hall of fame, but keep him away from players.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: sergeant pepper "It takes some doing but that's one of the stupidest posts I've seen on here in a good long while.

He 'made his bed' carrying Wigan on his back for 10+ years. I can't honestly remember a time during any of his 350+ appearances for Wigan when he didn't give anything short of his full effort. I also can't remember him missing or ducking an international series either which is more than can be said for some 'legends' who he played against.

How easily people forget how much both he and Rads held our club together.

Quite simply a club legend who should always be welcome back.'"

Correct.

Aren't people allowed to make mistakes in life?

Always welcome back for me. (If there's a vacancy)

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32342
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Correct.

Aren't people allowed to make mistakes in life?

Always welcome back for me. (If there's a vacancy)'"

Agree. Farrell did what was best for his family and himself at the time, no dramas for me, good luck to him.
Would I have him back at Wigan, yes IF there was a suitable position. We should not be that inward looking to recognise that we can learn things from almost all different sports. The point that he has been out of the RL game for 10 years is irrelevant IMO. I will guarantee that the likes of Farrell and Edwards spend a lot of time studying the game and players in Rugby League, however would either be willing to be an assistant for a while of that I'm not quite sure.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'd have him back in a heart beat. The lad knows rugby league inside out! Maybe it's a few years since he played but that doesn't mean he doesn't keep up to date with the sport and watch it regularly. A year as assistant with SW and regardless of code, I think he'd be very good and I'd bet still has Wigan in his heart. That's what IL wants. Local lads who love the club, appreciate its history and can contribute to its future. I'd say Faz fits that description to a tee!
Who knows, maybe he could lure some union lads over to RL in years to come? Maybe his son for example!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16493_1299497226.jpg
[quote="king warrior":prbr924b]Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week Got to say this is a top signing[/quote:prbr924b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16493.jpg

I honestly don't think he'd have a problem getting a job closer to his new home. He's settled. His eldest is playing down there and his others are going through school.

That being said, if he was willing to spend some time as Wane's assistant then I'd take him in a heartbeat.

RankPostsTeam
International Star348No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71460_1381776172.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71460.jpg

I don't have a view on whether or not it would be a good thing to have Andy Farrell back in a coaching role. However for the life of me I cannot understand the antipathy shown towards him by some of the posters on this forum. Here is a man who gave fantastic service to this club in a long and distinguished career during which he achieved legendary status. That he chose to cash in at the end of that career by taking the easy and plentiful money available in R.U. is no reason for animosity to be directed towards him. Funnily enough I never read on here any expressions of horror when, as it has often been promulgated, that Sean Edwards could return not that I have anything against the idea. We should be proud of the achievements of these local born lads and extremely thankful they chose to play the bulk of their career at our club.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Just for completeness, Edwards signed Lee Smith from Leeds to RU. The fact that turned into a bit of a disaster for both parties may help explain why he never poached from RL again.

I think the issue non-Wigan fans - including me - have with Farrell is that he helped lure Burgess to RU whilst he was a guest of the RFL during the RL WC. That to me was putting his self-interest ahead of the game that made him.

In pure rugby terms, I wouldn't consider an RL coach who hadn't been involved in the game for a decade as a likely first team coach, let alone someone who has zero experience in coaching senior RL.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "Just for completeness, Edwards signed Lee Smith from Leeds to RU. The fact that turned into a bit of a disaster for both parties may help explain why he never poached from RL again.

I think the issue non-Wigan fans - including me - have with Farrell is that he helped lure Burgess to RU whilst he was a guest of the RFL during the RL WC. That to me was putting his self-interest ahead of the game that made him.

In pure rugby terms, I wouldn't consider an RL coach who hadn't been involved in the game for a decade as a likely first team coach, let alone someone who has zero experience in coaching senior RL.'"

Agree with you about Lee Smith. I always felt that he was a very talented player who should have stuck with Leeds. Maybe he does too. (BTW about halfway through last season he started posting on the Wakey boards, all his posts are about what a great player Lee Smith is icon_biggrin.gif )

Burgess is his own man. People are talking as if going to Union wouldn't have occurred to him unless Faz had poached him.

Rugby League is a far simpler game to coach. Faz knows more about RL than the vast majority. A spell as an assistant and he would be up to speed in no time.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15781
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

club legend but isnt qualified and has absolutely no business being anywhere near an RL first team

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg

One of the things a new coach has to do is impress the squad so that they will listen to him. Andy Farrell has won literally everything that the game can offer, so no player can disrespect him on the basis of what he achieved as a player.

He coached Saracens, England and the British Lions. Clearly many people in Union feel that he is a good coach. He must have come across a degree of scepticism because of his past.

Are we so myopic that we can't learn from someone with his experience and qualities?

People's objections seem to centre on the fact that he hasn't been in the game for the last nine years. Do we really think he doesn't keep in touch? (And as for qualifications - I understand the only current holders of the level 4 coaching badge, the top RL coaching qualification, are Denis Betts and Richard Agar, good coaches both, but I suspect neither would be welcome here)

If Waney were to go then I for one would be happy to have Faz back. No question.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3053No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10172_1376829585.jpg
Dan Sarginson: "This is a fantastic opportunity for me to join the biggest name in the competition" 18/10/2013 Tony Clubb: "This is a new exciting chapter of my life signing for Wigan and I couldn't be happier" 18/10/2013 Romain Navarrete: “I’m very happy to have signed for Wigan Warriors. As soon I knew that Wigan were interested, they were the only team that I wanted to sign for. To me, Wigan is the biggest Club in Rugby League and it will be an honour to pull on the famous Cherry-and-White jersey next year. I look forward to working with Shaun Wane and the players at Wigan.”:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10172.jpg

Interesting split of views. I don't hold with the view that great players always make good coaches. There will be some stats somewhere about successful RL coaches and what success they had as a player. For me, good coaches need man-management skills first. I'd be very surprised if AF fails this, due to the longevity of his career: as a captain and coach. He can surround himself with assistants, in the same way MM did, and come up with team tactics and plays, but his handling of the squad, getting them on board with his philosophy and motivation, is the key.
The game hasn't changed that much to suggest he would be incapable of re-learning it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: maurice "Where did I mention Wigan? I admire your club for the player production and willingness to blood the kids, but don't support it. The RFU should rot in hell in my book for crimes against our sport both direct and indirect, but for some reason I don't have the same hate for Welsh RU which is why I would have no issue with Edwards coming back in a paid capacity to RL. Leave Farrell in your hall of fame, but keep him away from players.'"

I'm responding to Maurice and partly a general response.
I too have an intense dislike for the RFU for their historical and recent behaviour to anything RL however, generally we hold the moral high ground and we should avoid at all costs any intolerance towards the RFU in any guise be it to the game in general or individuals connected with RU. My rationale for this is that it simply is the right thing to do and hopefully it winds up the kick and clap brigade particularly the bigots and zealots from the broadsheets.
Some negative comments on Farrell are because he went to RU and therefore, he should never return. I'm the opposite in that I would welcome him back or for that matter any other player or coach who return to the fold irrespective of their initial reasons for going to RU.
With regards to Farrell if he made it known that he did want to return to RL then I'm certain that there would be no shortage of suitors irrespective of his lack of coaching experience in RL. Farrell is rugby down to his boots and is part of a small clique of people who just seem to have been born to play and coach the game. In the modern game I would put Wellens in the same category - I'm certain Wellens will eventually coach the Saints.
I personally would have Farrell back however, I just don't see how we could accommodate him with SW and I wouldn't want to lose SW therefore, if Farrell did return then it would have to be to one of our rivals which for me wouldn't be a bad thing.

47 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
47 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.4296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
8m
Rumours thread
Kettykat
10m