JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10172_1376829585.jpg
Dan Sarginson: "This is a fantastic opportunity for me to join the biggest name in the competition" 18/10/2013 Tony Clubb: "This is a new exciting chapter of my life signing for Wigan and I couldn't be happier" 18/10/2013 Romain Navarrete: “I’m very happy to have signed for Wigan Warriors. As soon I knew that Wigan were interested, they were the only team that I wanted to sign for. To me, Wigan is the biggest Club in Rugby League and it will be an honour to pull on the famous Cherry-and-White jersey next year. I look forward to working with Shaun Wane and the players at Wigan.”:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10172.jpg

Quote: Orrell Lad "Leeds are away at Catalan. You'd expect them to win that but they could quite easily get turned over. If we put a big number on Hull we could be level on points with nothing in the points diff. I'd love to pinch top spot off them, they can't have all the silverware can they?'"

It would, of course be nice to get the LLS, and it would have been helpful if we could have beaten Leeds last month.
What's important now is to be ready for the semi final and final.

RankPostsTeam
International Star280
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71103_1376482778.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71103.jpg

I've been saying since about round 13 that leeds will eventually tipple over a few games, and now as it turns out wigan have another chance to capitalise. I honestly think we will put a big score on against hull hence the unchanged game squad and leeds could be in trouble IF Cas were to turn saints over as leeds have Cas and hudds still to come who are still in contention (mathematically at this point should I say) for the semifinals.

I certainly think leeds have the tougher final 3 games than us due to how the 8's have panned out. interesting!

all this talk of leeds winning the LLS and GF as well as their CC win will come undone if you ask me, they are there for the taking.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2961
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "If Ryan was as good as you say he'd be in the team every week. Simple as that. No coach ignores match winners especially as according to you we have no one else with pace to match, bar Burgess. I'm not sure why you have to bring Fairhurst into it. Wane has picked and backed Williams at stand off. Smith is his organiser. Hampshire isn't as good as either at their allotted roles. Otherwise he'd be in the team.

As for giving up your season ticket. Do you support Wigan through thick and thin? Or are you Ryan's uncle?'"

There is a tipping point for most people unless you follow something as if under sort of spell or indoctrination. It's called having a personal opinion and thoughts.
I have watched Wigan on a regular basis since 1966 therefore, have seen many thin years and fortunately many good years.
Hampshire has more skill than Smith however, Smith probably does what he is told and plays to a game plan therefore gets the position. That's great if you steam roller teams but not very good if you need to execute a game changing move or try against stiffer opposition like Leeds or Saints.
You may be surprised but coaches obviously have favourites but I can't tell you why SW favours Smith versus pace a and natural ability or than maybe he doesn't want to play two half backs at a young age in the same team.
Can you explain why we should planning Bowen tomorrow? SW has stated previously that he need to nurture him through the season therefore, why not rest him against what is on paper an eminently winnable game?
By the way if I was Hampshire's uncle or dad I would be telling him to get out of Wigan a sap because he wasting precious years of his playing career.
I may be very wrong but losing Hampshire will come back to haunt us for years to come because a coach feared losing some control in letting the team play a more off the cuff style of play.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner861No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "There is a tipping point for most people unless you follow something as if under sort of spell or indoctrination. It's called having a personal opinion and thoughts.
I have watched Wigan on a regular basis since 1966 therefore, have seen many thin years and fortunately many good years.
Hampshire has more skill than Smith however, Smith probably does what he is told and plays to a game plan therefore gets the position. That's great if you steam roller teams but not very good if you need to execute a game changing move or try against stiffer opposition like Leeds or Saints.
You may be surprised but coaches obviously have favourites but I can't tell you why SW favours Smith versus pace a and natural ability or than maybe he doesn't want to play two half backs at a young age in the same team.
Can you explain why we should planning Bowen tomorrow? SW has stated previously that he need to nurture him through the season therefore, why not rest him against what is on paper an eminently winnable game?
By the way if I was Hampshire's uncle or dad I would be telling him to get out of Wigan a sap because he wasting precious years of his playing career.
I may be very wrong but losing Hampshire will come back to haunt us for years to come because a coach feared losing some control in letting the team play a more off the cuff style of play.'"

A coach lives or dies by his results. He has an idea in his mind of the way he wants the team to play, he has decided Matty Smith is a better option to get that than a young kid who has played a handful of first team games in the halves?

That is his job and why he is paid good money. If we are champions in five weeks he 100% picked the correct side if we aren't he might have questions to ask, but to say your going to give up your season ticket if he doesn't play Rocky is a bit OTT

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: bazdev "A coach lives or dies by his results. He has an idea in his mind of the way he wants the team to play, he has decided Matty Smith is a better option to get that than a young kid who has played a handful of first team games in the halves?

That is his job and why he is paid good money. If we are champions in five weeks he 100% picked the correct side if we aren't he might have questions to ask, but to say your going to give up your season ticket if he doesn't play Rocky is a bit OTT'"

Spot on. The coach has the right to pick the team that he wants. He will stand or fall by those decisions and if he gets it wrong often enough he will be gone. Personally I would have given Hampshire a few more games in recent weeks, particularly when Williams got those knocks to the head v Wire, but that's just my opinion.

Wasn't it Wayne Bennett who said "If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them."

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4957No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3632_1352982335.jpg
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery....... I will look to the moment, and miraculously, the future will take care of itself. Radio 5 Live, Sat, April 14th, 2007,...Dave Whelan, "In Wigan, rugby will always be king" 'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet..........unsure' 'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it' Worry will not prevent destiny from unfolding.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3632.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Spot on. The coach has the right to pick the team that he wants. He will stand or fall by those decisions and if he gets it wrong often enough he will be gone. Personally I would have given Hampshire a few more games in recent weeks, particularly when Williams got those knocks to the head v Wire, but that's just my opinion.

Wasn't it Wayne Bennett who said "If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them."'"

Philadelphia Eagles coach Joe Kuharich in 1967, but has been repeated by many since, including Bennett and John Monie, and IMHO very true. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star7544
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Why would it be listening to the fans? Two people can have the same opinion you know.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Wigg'n "Why would it be listening to the fans? Two people can have the same opinion you know.'"

The quote everyone is responding to was very OTT.

Despite having an up and down season, we're in pretty good shape at present. We left the Cup in awful circumstances, particularly given that the team who beat us went on to play like absolute chumps at Wembley. At one stage we couldn't win away from home for toffee. And yet now, at the business end, things look to have changed dramatically. On current form, the title is ours to lose. In that regard, having a real pop at Shaun Wane over of his management of a promising kid smacks a little bit of someone trying to find a reason to moan.

I too would consider it a big error to lose Ryan Hampshire, possibly an error akin to the loss of Sean Long and with much less reason. But we ought to remember that he's still a relatively untested youngster. Just how dramatic an issue is this? Moreover, I sincerley hope that Ryan himself doesn't read these forums, because some posters almost sound as if they're encouraging him to leave.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2961
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Cruncher "The quote everyone is responding to was very OTT.

Despite having an up and down season, we're in pretty good shape at present. We left the Cup in awful circumstances, particularly given that the team who beat us went on to play like absolute chumps at Wembley. At one stage we couldn't win away from home for toffee. And yet now, at the business end, things look to have changed dramatically. On current form, the title is ours to lose. In that regard, having a real pop at Shaun Wane over of his management of a promising kid smacks a little bit of someone trying to find a reason to moan.

I too would consider it a big error to lose Ryan Hampshire, possibly an error akin to the loss of Sean Long and with much less reason. But we ought to remember that he's still a relatively untested youngster. Just how dramatic an issue is this? Moreover, I sincerley hope that Ryan himself doesn't read these forums, because some posters almost sound as if they're encouraging him to leave.'"

Cruncher I think that some of your comments are a response to my earlier posts so I would like to clarify a few points if I may.
Firstly believe it or not I am a SW fan and I applaud his determination to encourage the development of new blood via our youth system however, for me the potential diamond in that said system is used infrequently and when used is in a position that he obviously does not enjoy or display some basic requirements of the role.
We have lost Burgess and will lose Charnley for next season. Sarginson is also off and add to that Bowens retirement which leave our backs exceptionally exposed.
I work on the premise that no news is bad news therefore, assume that Hampshire will also be exiting.
How many backs have we got left?
We have tried to get Carney but I believe he is off to Hull. I know bugger all about NRL so haven't got a clue who we could sign from there and as for SL who would we like to sign even if we could?
I currently despair at our apparent ineptitude in recruiting and retaining backs of any quality. You may consider that a moan I consider it a fundamental requirement.
I am not a fly by night but neither am I a one eyed spectator who accepts a modicum of improvement as everything is rosy in the garden.
I personally want to aspire to perfection and hopefully achieve excellence. Come on Rouges who is that quoted from? icon_smile.gif
Maybe I am being too pessimistic or perhaps I'm being pragmatic?
You describe our season as up and down I would describe the majority as bland.
I want pace with calculated risk not a 2 and 5 making hard yards whilst a front row pick their noses and scratch their s.
I'm hard to please? yep I am.
Currently we have probably the best facilities, youth system and infrastructure in SL therefore my expectations are set on these premises.
Losing Hampshire in itself will have no impact on the current season or maybe even next season what it will for me concur is that we can't retain quality or recruit quality which longer term is worrying.
Hey I hope your optimism is absolutely is spot and I am being an owd maudering fart who should accept the glow of today and ignore my impending chill of tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "Cruncher I think that some of your comments are a response to my earlier posts so I would like to clarify a few points if I may.
Firstly believe it or not I am a SW fan and I applaud his determination to encourage the development of new blood via our youth system however, for me the potential diamond in that said system is used infrequently and when used is in a position that he obviously does not enjoy or display some basic requirements of the role.
We have lost Burgess and will lose Charnley for next season. Sarginson is also off and add to that Bowens retirement which leave our backs exceptionally exposed.
I work on the premise that no news is bad news therefore, assume that Hampshire will also be exiting.
How many backs have we got left?
We have tried to get Carney but I believe he is off to Hull. I know bugger all about NRL so haven't got a clue who we could sign from there and as for SL who would we like to sign even if we could?
I currently despair at our apparent ineptitude in recruiting and retaining backs of any quality. You may consider that a moan I consider it a fundamental requirement.
I am not a fly by night but neither am I a one eyed spectator who accepts a modicum of improvement as everything is rosy in the garden.
I personally want to aspire to perfection and hopefully achieve excellence. Come on Rouges who is that quoted from?
Much of this, I agree with. But seriously, don't cancel your season ticket. In the days of Jinkin' Jimmy Fairhurst we all had lots of reason to walk away and never come back. Look what we'd have missed if we had.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2961
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Cruncher "Much of this, I agree with. But seriously, don't cancel your season ticket. In the days of Jinkin' Jimmy Fairhurst we all had lots of reason to walk away and never come back. Look what we'd have missed if we had.'"

I will cancel my season ticket when Hampshire leaves but will just attend the must see Saints Wire and Leeds matches.
I did the same when when we sold John Burke to Workington all those years ago and obviously returned to the fold eventually!
Sometimes a point of principle is more important but even a man of principle like myself eventually yields to the pull of the cherry and whites!
I just don't think we must support the club at all costs like some young easily led puppy. It is total shoite and IL and Co need to know that some of us think like this.
I just get so peeved off with this rough tough forwards backs are soft shoite icon_biggrin.gif . Forwards get you to finals invariably backs win you the finals.
As I said I seek perfection but will gladly accept excellence.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "I will cancel my season ticket when Hampshire leaves but will just attend the must see Saints Wire and Leeds matches.
I did the same when when we sold John Burke to Workington all those years ago and obviously returned to the fold eventually!
Sometimes a point of principle is more important but even a man of principle like myself eventually yields to the pull of the cherry and whites!
I just don't think we must support the club at all costs like some young easily led puppy. It is total shoite and IL and Co need to know that some of us think like this.
I just get so peeved off with this rough tough forwards backs are soft shoite
Supporting a club through thick and thin is called being a fan. But each to their own. Coming back when things get good is better than not coming back at all.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32338
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "I will cancel my season ticket when Hampshire leaves but will just attend the must see Saints Wire and Leeds matches.
I just get so peeved off with this rough tough forwards backs are soft shoite
Would you have cancelled your season ticket if Sam Tomkins had gone to Wire instead of Wigan? Players come and players go, that's a fact of life. Hampshire has two more years on his contract at Wigan and he has been offered a new contract. That offer has been on the table since early in the year. IL can't hold a gun to his head. I don't want to lose him, but it will be Hampshires decision.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Didn't IA just make a flippant remark to state his annoyance? He's getting hammered over this one!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Hammered? Just looks like people giving their opinions.....

63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.06494140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
7pm
5m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
6m
Game - Song Titles