FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Time for change.
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pacific "Your statements are right but you are ignoring my wider point.

All I'm saying is everything isn't as rosy as some people think within the club.

The truth will come out in the end.'"

Honestly I understand your point about Wane, and I've heard similar, but I can only go off the facts, hence my discussion of what occurred with the players you've mentioned.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20371No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Pacific "Your statements are right but you are ignoring my wider point.

All I'm saying is everything isn't as rosy as some people think within the club.

The truth will come out in the end.'"

If Williams is selected over Hampshire in the halves next week I think that would go a long way to prove the point you make.

RankPostsTeam
International Star437No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72761_1404204935.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72761.jpg

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "Honestly I understand your point about Wane, and I've heard similar, but I can only go off the facts, hence my discussion of what occurred with the players you've mentioned.'"

Fair enough. Like i said, we both know the truth and you are indeed right with your points. With Sam coming back i expect we may here more on this next year from Hampshire and/or Tierney. Time will tell.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pacific "For what its worth I do think its time for change but only at the end of the season. Deacon would be the ideal replacement. Radlinski has talked his coaching potential up so lets see what he can offer.

My biggest problem with Wane has always been his "jobs for the boys" approach. Anyone who has ever spoken to anyone on the inside of the club knows that Wane has his favourite players. The younger academy lads arent always given a fair chance. Dont know what it is but Wane only ever favours some academy lads and those who he classes as his "mates". Those who arent are thrown to one side. Jack Murphy was an example of this. He had great potential and when we lost at Wakefield last year he was our best player on the pitch but he wasnt given another chance. If Wane has a personal problem with you it becomes political and you end up dropped. Just ask Scott Taylor - he experienced it at the end of last year and Charnley is experiencing it now. In recent video review sessions rumour is Charnley was unfairly blamed for nearly every problem under the sun. Yes, he's not as good as Manfredi but he didn't deserve the criticism Wane gave him.

Whilst I cant prove all of this it does indicate that Wane may have a "nasty" side and this is one problem I've had with him from what I've been told.'"

Deacon is still very inexperienced as a head coach. Let's get in an experience successful coach from the NRL, let Deacon learn from said coach before taking over.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pacific "Fair enough. Like i said, we both know the truth and you are indeed right with your points. With Sam coming back i expect we may here more on this next year from Hampshire and/or Tierney. Time will tell.'"

Wigan will do well to keep Hampshire unless something happens. i.e. he stops favouring Williams/Smith in the halves and gives Hampshire a run in the halves.
I don't see a where Tierney fits in. As a full back we'll have Sam with Hampshire as a back up, and in time someone else will come through the system.
On the wings we'll have Manfredi and Charnley with cover in other established better players.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20371No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Let's let Deacon cut his teeth elsewhere then have a crack at the Wigan job.

Next coach has to have NRL experience.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jonh "Let's let Deacon cut his teeth elsewhere then have a crack at the Wigan job.

Next coach has to have NRL experience.'"

Let Deacon learn from an experience NRL coach at Wigan. Someone who can teach him another perspective to what he's learnt under SW.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1440No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

This thread is like the ones on our board after the HKR defeat. We thought something was seriously wrong, something deep routed too.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20371No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg

Can't agree. I think the Wigan job is far too big a job to step into as your first Head Coach job without experience in a senior position in the top league in the World.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain434No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73877_1443115014.jpg
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.” ― [b:pmq1153i]Frank Zappa[/b:pmq1153i]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73877.jpg

Is it now time to bring back The One

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain81
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I have supported Wigan RL since 1984, and was a season ticket holder for over 15 years. Because of work commitments, I got to see fewer Friday night games. Since retiring to Anglesey, I've seen a few games, mainly on TV, however I had the misfortune to be at the match against Salford. I have NEVER seen such a shambolic performance from 17 players who were stealing a wage. I thought, after that, the next game, with a break and especially against Wire, they would storm it. So I decided to go to the match (In disgust, I left early). what a waste of money, time and effort! Matty Bowen dealt with all the high balls (which makes a change!) but the rest of the team were diabolical. As has been said elsewhere our forwards were pussies, Wires second row were bigger than our props. Our halves were non existent, our coach didn't have a clue (didn't really seem to have a plan "A" let alone a B or C!

Wigan now play one dimensional rugby, which has been sussed by all the other big teams, we don't scare them any more, we are now quite easy to defend against and, more worrying, very easy to attack against.

In short, if SW cannot or will not change recruitment policy, tactics, discipline, attitude and aggression (legal), then, I am sorry to say, he must go.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB181.gif
:cartoons/WB181.gif

You lads need a pick up, some sparkling off the cuff RL with the ball being thrown about left and right by players comfortable in passing and catching.

Leigh v Featherstone on Sunday 12th July, 3pm ko would be just the tonic you fans need, free under 16 with adult tickets btw

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: jonh "
From top to bottom we have slipt back into the good old bad old days of jobs for the boys and Brian Noble style tactics.'"

The situation with Wane is very similar to that with Noble and I have been saying that for a while. I got slagged off for saying Noble was taking us nowhere fast at the end of 2007 because for some people the fact he came to the rescue in 2006 meant what I was saying was sacrilege when in fact if you judged the way the team was playing in a cold hard manner it was not good enough.

It's the same with Wane. The double has made him bullet proof for far too long despite things going backwards ever since.

I think it's actually worse with Wane. I think he has been exposed as outdated and tactically limited even more than noble.

I also think he has lost the dressing room. The players not only look clueless but not interested.

His selections are just strange with Powell for example and I think he only likes players who run themselves into the ground in training and hasn't much of a clue how to manage players for whom that would not be the best way to approach training. Once you face doesn't fit you are out in my view which is why I think Taylor went the way he did.

The structure of the competition is such we could get in the top 4 and win it but if we did it would be a huge fluke. In the past poor league games were dismissed as if we were keeping our powder dry saving ourselves for the end of season playoffs. I don't think anyone thinks that now.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

This is the worst I've seen from Wigan's pack. I mean, even though you went down against Hull KR's bullying - at least you put up token resistance. Against Warrington it seemed like every time the dummy half looked up expecting a receiver [ino one was there. [/i

Any coach watching tonight's match and the Challenge Cup game must conclude that providing you don't make major defensive blunders outside, it is entirely possible to intimidate Wigan's forwards into submission.

In the last twenty minutes it was impossible not to notice the [irelish[/i Warrington defenders showed toward hitting and hurting Wigan players. I'm sure Shaun Wane will criticize the commitment of some of his guys (and he's right to). But on the issue of recruitment he must take his share of the responsibility. All the "commitment" in the world is no match for one of two genuine "hard cases" whose job it is to make sure nothing happens to their teammates. Warrington, Saints and Leeds have their quota. But I'm really struggling to identify this Wigan pack's "enforcers". O'Loughlin and McIloram are the closest I suppose. But the former seems crocked this season and McIloram's veneer of invincibility has been peeling away for some time (Masoe was using him as a tooth-pick recently).

Credit where credit is due - Wigan's backs have single-handedly kept them near the top. As for Bowen, I can't believe people are so willing to point the finger of blame in his direction without ever mentioning the obvious catastrophe in the forwards. Personally I thought he was one of your better players last night.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain81
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Matty Bowen & MM were the ONLY players who stood up to wire tonight.

80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.04345703125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
2m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
15m