JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Tatts "I've had a right good laugh on Twitter today. It's as if everyone thinks all the clubs are just going to abandon academies and youth etc, for the sake of chasing one player, who is partly exempt from the cap.

For us though, I read on the local paper that Sam is our 'marquee' player for next year? So I'm assuming we've no movement for a 'big name', rather just cap space for British recruitment.'"

Well that obviously wont happen to Us, Wire, Saints, Leeds etc but it will most definitely happen to Salford. They are more than happy to completely abandon their academy system to bring big money players in. All you have to is look how reluctant they were to play their youth players a few weeks ago.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5166No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35457_1309776065.png
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35457.png

Hull KR voted for it. Who'd have thought?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Bluenosewarrior "Well that obviously wont happen to Us, Wire, Saints, Leeds etc but it will most definitely happen to Salford. They are more than happy to completely abandon their academy system to bring big money players in. All you have to is look how reluctant they were to play their youth players a few weeks ago.'"

They can only bring in one marquee player not a team of them

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: blakeysrobin "Hull KR voted for it. Who'd have thought?'"

I am not entirely surprised. Signings like Goulding (which obviously hasn't worked out sadly) show some ambition and not a club content to be also rans.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: sergeant pepper "Watching all the fans of the bottom feeder clubs announcing this as the death of RL is making me smile.

Really hope this is the seismic shift that many on here have been waiting 10+ years for. At last the backwards, cap in hand have nots have been put in their place.

Now let's watch the big boys crack on at trying to get the sport back to where it should be.'"

Mrs Thatcher is smiling in her grave right now at your views and how you express them. Are you a Blue Meanie from Pepperland?

The problem with your view is that putting the 'have-nots' in their place, as you so charmingly put it, leads to a competition just like the Scottish Premier League. Let the market take over and it inevitably leads to monopoly. (Anyone fancy a bet on who will win the SPL next year? Is there any point in watching?)

That's fine if Wigan are in the Celtic role, but what if we end up like Rangers with Saints in the Celtic role?

The good thing about the salary cap is that the league is genuinely competitive. Hull KR have beaten both Saints and Wigan this season. Are you really interested in watching Rugby League dominated by just a few teams or are you interested in watching games that are competitive (which most - though not all - are)?

Even under the present system there are really only 4 potential winners (even if you count Wire!!!) - so it's not as though we are being hampered that much by the 'cap in hand' brigade. But at least we have an interesting competition, with the top 3 losing 14 games - about 30%- between them already, often to the 'bottom feeder clubs'

I loved watching us in the 80/90s, especially as I remember us in the second division, but in truth only Widnes really managed a sustained challenge. I reckon the game is far more enjoyable now, though I guess others will disagree.

Peace and Love! icon_hearteyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44075_1339364158.jpg
What's the rumpus, Tom? [quote="Pemps":1dso5atj]I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala". [/quote:1dso5atj] [quote="Wigan Peer":1dso5atj]I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:[/quote:1dso5atj] [quote="MattyB":1dso5atj]you cant tell me they are all busting for a turd. [/quote:1dso5atj] Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm To keep her from the howlin' winds.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44075.jpg

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Mrs Thatcher is smiling in her grave right now at your views and how you express them. Are you a Blue Meanie from Pepperland?

The problem with your view is that putting the 'have-nots' in their place, as you so charmingly put it, leads to a competition just like the Scottish Premier League. Let the market take over and it inevitably leads to monopoly. (Anyone fancy a bet on who will win the SPL next year? Is there any point in watching?)

That's fine if Wigan are in the Celtic role, but what if we end up like Rangers with Saints in the Celtic role?

The good thing about the salary cap is that the league is genuinely competitive. Hull KR have beaten both Saints and Wigan this season. Are you really interested in watching Rugby League dominated by just a few teams or are you interested in watching games that are competitive (which most - though not all - are)?

Even under the present system there are really only 4 potential winners (even if you count Wire!!!) - so it's not as though we are being hampered that much by the 'cap in hand' brigade. But at least we have an interesting competition, with the top 3 losing 14 games - about 30%- between them already, often to the 'bottom feeder clubs'

I loved watching us in the 80/90s, especially as I remember us in the second division, but in truth only Widnes really managed a sustained challenge. I reckon the game is far more enjoyable now, though I guess others will disagree.

Peace and Love!
We are only talking about one player. Its not like we can just secure signings of the Harlem Globetrotters.

If anything, we will now have the ability to use the exception to play for a big player, without (necessarily) sacrificing the wages of junior players or other squad members. which is what happens under the current (previous?) system

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Mrs Thatcher is smiling in her grave right now at your views and how you express them. Are you a Blue Meanie from Pepperland?

Peace and Love!
The problem is that dumbing us all down to the level of the lowest clubs is no solution if those lowest clubs aren't the only ones we're competing with. Unlike a few years ago, we're now in it with the RU and the NRL. Okay, competing at that level might be a bit of a lost cause, but as far as I can see their persistent poaching of our best talent has been a game-changer in the last few tears, and we need to try and respond. I'd also argue that all through the salary cap era, the game has continued to be dominated by a handful of clubs. It bewilders me that pro-cappers always argue as if this isn't the case.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32342
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Whilst agreeing in principle with the ruling I would also have liked some of the tv money be ring fenced to ensure the return of U23 / reserve grade rugby. Catalan should be in that structure, but at present aren't.
At the Wigan v Catalan academy friendly game at Orrell I was speaking to Laurent Frayssinous.
He told me Catalan could not be admitted into the U19 academy competition because the majority of the Superleague clubs were not prepared to travel to France at that level, so most of the young French players were playing in the lower leagues and that their season ended in early May. As far as I'm aware only Leeds and Wigan have played in France, but I think Saints, Wigan and Leeds have hosted Catalan over here.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "

Mrs Thatcher is smiling in her grave right now at your views and how you express them. Are you a Blue Meanie from Pepperland?

Peace and Love!
Just when we all thought it was safe to come out again the protector of the underclass is back.

ATEOTD it comes down to aspiration. If you want to shoot for the stars, and have the means to do it, then what's wrong with that?

I want to see a Wigan team that's crammed full of the best talent in the world. I want to see us go over to Aus as a force to be reckoned with. I want to see a Wigan side that's considered good enough to play games vs international touring sides. In short I want us to be the pinnacle of rugby in both codes.

Who are Wakey, Cas or you to say it's wrong to want that? No one should stop another for thinking big. If you want to think parochial then please feel free just don't keep the rest down there with you.

You can shout till you are blue in the face about a competitive league but it's just a fantasy based upon season in, season out reduction in the on the field product. Every sport and every league, including ours, has its big teams who generally clean up or share honours. Even in singles sports like Golf, Tennis, Snooker etc the major titles are shared between the few.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: sergeant pepper "Just when we all thought it was safe to come out again the protector of the underclass is back.

ATEOTD it comes down to aspiration. If you want to shoot for the stars, and have the means to do it, then what's wrong with that?

I want to see a Wigan team that's crammed full of the best talent in the world. I want to see us go over to Aus as a force to be reckoned with. I want to see a Wigan side that's considered good enough to play games vs international touring sides. In short I want us to be the pinnacle of rugby in both codes.

Who are Wakey, Cas or you to say it's wrong to want that? No one should stop another for thinking big. If you want to think parochial then please feel free just don't keep the rest down there with you.

You can shout till you are blue in the face about a competitive league but it's just a fantasy based upon season in, season out reduction in the on the field product. Every sport and every league, including ours, has its big teams who generally clean up or share honours. Even in singles sports like Golf, Tennis, Snooker etc the major titles are shared between the few.'"

I suppose we just fundamentally disagree. I don't think it is ALL about aspiration at all, although that is certainly part of it.

I want Wigan to be the best in a competitive league where everyone has the chance to win it. How much more satisfying is that?

I want to enjoy watching Rugby League when the outcome is in doubt. If you want a monopoly as in the SPL or a duopoly as in Spain then I would suggest you would get pretty sick of it pretty quickly. One of the reasons I no longer watch professional football is that it is boring. The EPL pretty much mirrors what teams spend on transfers and wages. So the rich get richer as the Champions League admits only the most wealthy 4 or 5.

Obliterating the competition because you have more money and power than them is against genuine sporting principles.

Actually I'm not really against this slight change in the cap - it was your objectionable tone that prompted me to post.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "I suppose we just fundamentally disagree. I don't think it is ALL about aspiration at all, although that is certainly part of it.

I want Wigan to be the best in a competitive league where everyone has the chance to win it. How much more satisfying is that?

'"

But wouldn't it be even more satisfying if that situation was achieved by ALL clubs attempting to raise their game?

I moved towards supporting the salary cap after a couple of years, but since the NRL started cherry-picking as well as RU - and apparently the one they're lining up after Burgess is Bateman - I've been very worried that we're hamstringing ourselves with it.

I feel it's too easy for the lower-end clubs to just bask in the comfort zone of having upper-end clubs restricted by tight regulations. How does that give them any impetus to improve?

RankPostsTeam
International Star776No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Peace and Love!
If it was up to you we'd all be eating the proverbial scraps off the floor whilst every other sport progresses financially. Just so we can protect a couple of clubs that can barely generate income of any kind. GTF.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg

Quote: Bluenosewarrior "If it was up to you we'd all be eating the proverbial scraps off the floor whilst every other sport progresses financially. Just so we can protect a couple of clubs that can barely generate income of any kind. GTF.'"

Wrong. I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion from reading my posts. Why would I be against Super League generating money?

Sports can progress financially whilst still having ALL teams competitive. There are many examples of this - my favourite being Major League Baseball with 20 different winners since 1979 - and that in the land of the free as well. A chain is only as strong as its' weakest link my friend.

Be careful not to stereotype my views just because I would put the health of the overall game ahead of partisan interests.

RankPostsTeam
International Star776No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Wrong. I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion from reading my posts. Why would I be against Super League generating money?

Sports can progress financially whilst still having ALL teams competitive. There are many examples of this - my favourite being Major League Baseball with 20 different winners since 1979 - and that in the land of the free as well. A chain is only as strong as its' weakest link my friend.

Be careful not to stereotype my views just because I would put the health of the overall game ahead of partisan interests.'"

The problem with your MLB comparison is the amount of people that live in the USA and love the sport. We simply don't have those kind of numbers here. I understand your point of view, but I have to disagree. We will only attract more fans when we can put on show some of the best players in the world.

Take us for example, it is no coincidence that our attendances have decreased ever since Sam left. At the end of the day, fans want to see the best players.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1003
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62118_1550845628.png
Everything [i:1c0rjla2]is [/i:1c0rjla2]Awesome:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62118.png

Who on earth is SW looking at in Canada RU or American Poseball? Have I missed yet another memo? Or is he blowing smoke? (rlhttp://tinyurl.com/ph9vybwrl)

79 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
79 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.16845703125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
22m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
22m