FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Playing not to lose.
62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Ziggy Stardust "Not a one off is it.

Poor performances are becoming a regular problem in big games especially.

We have had many wake up calls, the crowds are dropping.

Maybe IL will have had enough if we fail to final or win a trophy this season, i know i would.

Opposition will always raise their game against Wigan, we should always be ready and properly prepared for that, we weren't today.'"

You can't win every game even St Maguire couldn't do it with a far superior squad.
The players lost the game tonight.
Sarginson, Bateman and Tomkins are ok players. We make them out to be the best thing since sliced bread. BatemAn made one pass last Easter and suddenly he was the next best centre in the comp.
Senior players need to step up and SW should keep quiet and work away in the background for the next few months.
By the way is the CC a big game anymore? I'm a traditionalist but even I know for the last 15 years or so it's a bit of an afterthought with pathetic crowds until the final and even then they are pretty poor compared to the GF.
I hate losing and it ruins my weekend however, tonight we we're Second best to the opposition. Shit happens but there is still time to regroup.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "Castleford last year, Hull KR this year. Who was the last Wigan coach to get knocked out of the cup two years in a row by such average teams? Granted Flower robbed us of a trophy in the Grand Final, but I can't help thinking back to 2013 and looking at the ridiculously easy cup run and Warrington injuries during the GF and wondering whether Shaun Wane has actually had a fair bit of luck which has potentially made him look better than he is. I'm not saying I'd get rid at this point but I'm not yet convinced by him either, certainly think we've gone backwards since Maguire left. Nothing but winning the Grand Final will do for this season now.'"

I agree with most of that except I do think we were up for the GF v Wire. The win in the CC v Hull was a lot less convincing. Since then though I think we have been going backwards with the odd spark of form that flatters to deceive.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "
By the way is the CC a big game anymore?'"

Getting to a Wembley final and winning is worth more financially than winning a GF.

But come off it, regardless of the finance . The CC is still huge.

Getting knocked out at this stage would have seen Wane sacked before he left the ground and thumbing a lift home. Particularly as it has happened two seasons in a row.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: DaveO "Getting to a Wembley final and winning is worth more financially than winning a GF.

But come off it, regardless of the finance . The CC is still huge.

Getting knocked out at this stage would have seen Wane sacked before he left the ground and thumbing a lift home. Particularly as it has happened two seasons in a row.'"

I fully accept the financial benefit however, for me the magic of the competition has gone maybe forever.
Personally I didn't have clue when the draw was taking place this year. Don't get me wrong I want to win it but the trophy to win these days is the GF

RankPostsTeam
International Star1119No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I don't like Wane but the bloke makes silk purses out of pigs ears and is building a formidable young team. They will have results like this until they gain experience. Two years time they'll win most things for a few seasons.
They got schooled by Campese who had Mickey Mouse in his back pocket and your captain never turned up.

RankPostsTeam
International Star230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "I fully accept the financial benefit however, for me the magic of the competition has gone maybe forever.
Personally I didn't have clue when the draw was taking place this year. Don't get me wrong I want to win it but the trophy to win these days is the GF'"

Pretty similar to the way the importance and kudos of the FA cup has declined over the years.
For me a trophy is a trophy there are only two on offer and one has gone as a result of another inept display.

Congratulations to KR wanted it more and deserved their win

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: Bad Leg Strikes "Pretty similar to the way the importance and kudos of the FA cup has declined over the years.
For me a trophy is a trophy there are only two on offer and one has gone as a result of another inept display.

Congratulations to KR wanted it more and deserved their win'"

I don't believe that they wanted it more, the look on the Wigan players faces at the end shows just what it meant. I watched the game again when I got home last night and it's a game we SHOULD have won. The defence, bar Sarginsons poor tackle for the first try was good. However, the number of individual errors (I include poor decision making in that) cost us.
Tomkins should have give Charnley a run to the line just before half time, Williams should have caught the ball over the line instead on pushing it dead just before Sarginson lost the ball for the "gift try" Smith missed three kicks at goal, one from in front of the posts. Then there were the dropped balls from Hampshire, Smith, Farrell, Tautai etc. Poor passes from Williams and O'Loughlin, the list goes on.

Fair play to HKR they played their sets out better than we did and deserved their win, but our poor handling gave them a leg up.

The title of the thread is correct and being two points up with fifteen to go is exactly what we should have done. Kick deep and stay disciplined. There was no way HKR were going to go seventy or eighty meters, play smart.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2015
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/a27.gif
Hull kingston rovers.:Others/a27.gif

Quote: NickyKiss "I've labelled the team childish on a few occasions this season. They run about getting wound up and play with little composure.

It's a huge issue.'"

Always browse your board and you are an outstanding poster imo,I agree with most of what you post.Dont you fancy the wigan coaching job ? icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Wigan should have won that game by thirty points. But I'm afraid it's the same weakness showing through once more. When it comes to the real blood and thunder your front six just isn't at the races. Immediately after the half time whistle I detected a definite upsurge in the level of aggression shown by the Hull KR forwards. This peaked during the final fifteen minutes when Hull KR's pack were quite literally beating on your guys. Bateman and Farrell are just not capable of meeting some of these big, raw-boned opposition props head on and knocking them back. The former walked past your own winger (Burgess) in the final few moments and looked like a garden gnome! Wane is making a massive mistake playing both of them at once.

Time and time again Wigan showed that once they break over the advantage line they capitalise in the backfield. But last night, aside from Tautai (for a couple of brief periods) none of your props seemed capable of repeatedly generating big yards and quick play the balls to put the dummy half on the front foot. Certainly none of them seemed all that interested in standing up to Hull KR's bully boy tactics.

As for McIlorum - his current value to the team really was summed up by putting one of his own players in the infirmary.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7559
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quick play the balls and fast ruck is not our game and hasn't been for years. Considering you're an expert on forwards, "packs" and the Wigan team you should know that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7559
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

And Bateman is more than a match for most forwards in SL thanks. He was outstanding in defence last night and last week against Cas he was probably the best forward on the pitch.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7559
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Epic 3x combo post but how funny is it to see Mugwimp on here after one loss? I bet his last post was err... about 6 weeks ago? icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

I really don't understand criticism of McIlorum. Our best spells were when he was on but once again he was spelled and was off the field for over half an hour. It just seems a tactic to give Powell some game time, because the drop in our overall standard of play when McIlorum is off the pitch is huge. I wish we'd just go with MMc for the full 80.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5846
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "I really don't understand criticism of McIlorum. Our best spells were when he was on but once again he was spelled and was off the field for over half an hour. It just seems a tactic to give Powell some game time, because the drop in our overall standard of play when McIlorum is off the pitch is huge. I wish we'd just go with MMc for the full 80.'"

Point taken, but you have to have someone used to playing there if he should get injured... So Wane HAS to do it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Mental mickey signalled to the bench in the first half that he had to come off,to me the only way to keep up the intensity is to put bateman at hooker while mickey is off to maintain the level of aggression.

62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.42578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
YosemiteSam
13m
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
15m