Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: SmokeyTA "Does that ‘make every game count’? What if the title is tied up 5 matches before the end of the season? That would mean nearly 20% of the season was entirely pointless.

If the Championship had already been decided, why would anyone care about being named ‘premiers’? Not only that but if you are already ‘champions’ why would you care if you were also ‘premiers’?

Realistically all you have done is swap the minor premiers and premiers around. You now have a qualifying competition which crowns the champions, and a competition which you have qualified for becoming pointless.'"

Sorry, I haven't been on here since I posted so haven't answered the questions raised. I won't answer every one individually but I'll answer this one and hopefully it will make clear the points I'm making.

First of all, the 'every game counts' was not referring to the winners alone. The playoffs are still in existence so everyone is still playing for a playoff place. The difference being that it would remove the farce that we currently have where the league is nothing more than an extended pre-season to a cup competition! the ONLY way to stop this ridiculous situation is to have the championship won by the team finishing with the highest number of points. It works fine in Football and did for over a hundred years in our sport. I can't see anything but a devalueing of the season and, by default, the game by changing this in the manner we have. For me (and an increasing number of supporters) it's making our game a farce. If you are happy with the situation as it stands, then that's fine. That's your right. However, I find it interesting that the people who are happy with the situation are, in the main, the supporters of the team who have won it twice after finishing fifth. No coincidence I would wager. You'll never make 'every game count' in an absolute sense. You can, however, make the season more than an 8-month training run! I know which I prefer.

Why would anyone care about being named Premiers? Are you being serious? That's like saying why would anyone care about being named Challenge Cup winners? It's a title, a trophy, a big event final at a major sporting venue and an automatic entry into the WCC....not to mention a lucrative money spinner on both counts! I can't believe you actually put this forward, but hey! you're entitled to your opinion as I said earlier!

I haven't swapped round minor premiers and premiers. I have given due credit to a competion that is currently regarded as second rate when it should be the most important! But let's, for the sake of argument say I have 'just swapped them around'. What is your argument against that? I would say that is the correct way they should be regarded and anything else is merely a falsehood. There is no way on earth that the playoffs should be regarded as the 'ultimate' achievement in the sport as it currently is. The situation is laughed at by fans of other sports (I visit many football strongholds in the course of my work and, without exception, they find the way our competition is run a joke) and, if I was being honest, I find it a joke too. Winning the title (i.e finishing first) is universally regarded as the toughest achievement in the sport. It should be recognised as such. In fact, I object to the term 'minor premiers'. As for awarding the plate to mark the achievement; well, the often used nickname 'The Hubcap' tells you all you need to know.

Someone else mentioned I was putting a lot of emphasis on the WCC. I wasn't. The emphasis was on recognising that the team finishing first should be champions. As champions you would play in the WCC. QED. I'm sick of hearing that the season no longer matters. Take a look at the season ticket thread on this very site for a taste of where we are as a sport.

Bury your head in the sand all you want. I'm a season ticket holder and have been for decades. If supportors such as myself are questioning the validity of our competition (and have been for some time) I think it's fair to say that something is badly wrong with it. I can honestly say I wish it was just me who was disillusioned. The truth is it isn't. Not by a long way.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Does that ‘make every game count’? What if the title is tied up 5 matches before the end of the season? That would mean nearly 20% of the season was entirely pointless.

If the Championship had already been decided, why would anyone care about being named ‘premiers’? Not only that but if you are already ‘champions’ why would you care if you were also ‘premiers’? '"

You could equally ask why does any body care about rounds 1-27 when the title is decided by a handful of matches at the end of the season.

Whatever system you adopt they both rely on the clubs taking the "meaningless" games seriously otherwise there is no point the fans turning up.

Given premiership soccer uses a league structure to decide the champions why does anyone care about the majority of games in that competition? They clearly do.

Of course the irony is, is last seasons soccer premiership being decided by virtually the last kick of the season completely rubbishes the idea you have to have a play off system to deliver an exciting end to the season.

For me the playoffs are exactly like every school kid getting a prize on sports day. It is a system that is manufactured to give the impression teams are successful because they get into a top 8 when in fact the ones at the bottom end really are just poor teams. It's like the sport is afraid to acknowledge sporting failure and all that does is just like with school kids getting a prize for coming last is ensure no one bothers to try harder next time.

Quote: SmokeyTA "Realistically all you have done is swap the minor premiers and premiers around. You now have a qualifying competition which crowns the champions, and a competition which you have qualified for becoming pointless.'"

If you have and expanded WCC with one place for the league champions and one for the premiers neither competition would be pointless.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1072
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "Sorry, I haven't been on here since I posted so haven't answered the questions raised. I won't answer every one individually but I'll answer this one and hopefully it will make clear the points I'm making.

First of all, the 'every game counts' was not referring to the winners alone. The playoffs are still in existence so everyone is still playing for a playoff place. The difference being that it would remove the farce that we currently have where the league is nothing more than an extended pre-season to a cup competition! the ONLY way to stop this ridiculous situation is to have the championship won by the team finishing with the highest number of points. It works fine in Football and did for over a hundred years in our sport. '"

The bit in red is not true. The only times in its history that the RL champions have been the team with the most league points were the inaugural season in 1895/96 and for about twenty years from the mid seventies up to the first SLGF in 1998. For the vast majority of its history the RL champions have been the winner of a playoff final after a short competition involving the highest placed group of teams during the preceding league. It used to be called the Championship Final until the original playoff system ended in the 70s. Between the inaugural season and the inception of the Championship playoffs the league was decided on a percentage basis (not the number of points) due to clubs devising their own fixture lists and many playing very different numbers of games during a season.

There are pros and cons with having a playoff system and not everyone may like having one but a playoff system has been the method used for determining the champions for the vast majority of seasons in RL.

RankPostsTeam
International Star21No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

For me i have no issue in the Playoff winners being crowned champions even if it is a team finishing 5th. The problem i have is that teams can just coast through the regular season and into the playoffs. If you take the last 2 years then the best 2 teams were Wire and Wigan, but what if Leeds had played as well all year as they did in Sep/Oct, would they have topped the league, possibly? With the current system there is no incentive for them to play as well in the 1st 27 rounds, naturally you would expect any team to play to 100% every time they take the field but watch the Leeds team who won at DW in Sep and compare them to the Leeds team who were battered in June at Headlingley, and you can see the difference in mentality. We need to change that but im not sure what the answer will be, sadly the system we have seems to be the one that suits all 14 clubs best.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Phuzzy "Sorry, I haven't been on here since I posted so haven't answered the questions raised. I won't answer every one individually but I'll answer this one and hopefully it will make clear the points I'm making.

First of all, the 'every game counts' was not referring to the winners alone. The playoffs are still in existence so everyone is still playing for a playoff place. The difference being that it would remove the farce that we currently have where the league is nothing more than an extended pre-season to a cup competition! the ONLY way to stop this ridiculous situation is to have the championship won by the team finishing with the highest number of points. It works fine in Football and did for over a hundred years in our sport. I can't see anything but a devalueing of the season and, by default, the game by changing this in the manner we have. For me (and an increasing number of supporters) it's making our game a farce. If you are happy with the situation as it stands, then that's fine. That's your right. However, I find it interesting that the people who are happy with the situation are, in the main, the supporters of the team who have won it twice after finishing fifth. No coincidence I would wager. You'll never make 'every game count' in an absolute sense. You can, however, make the season more than an 8-month training run! I know which I prefer.'"

No it would make the play-offs an extended post season jolly. We would be playing a competition where the ‘champions’ have already been decided.

For the vast majority of our history as a game, the champions have been the team which is consistent enough to qualify for the play-offs, and good enough to beat the big sides, in the big games, when the pressure is on. I like, that i think that is the best way of deciding who is the champion side. I want to know who is the best, who can play to the highest level when it counts, im not really interested in who can consistantly win against the smaller sides.
Quote: Phuzzy "Why would anyone care about being named Premiers? Are you being serious? That's like saying why would anyone care about being named Challenge Cup winners? It's a title, a trophy, a big event final at a major sporting venue and an automatic entry into the WCC....not to mention a lucrative money spinner on both counts! I can't believe you actually put this forward, but hey! you're entitled to your opinion as I said earlier!'"
The champions have already been decided, the play-offs would be a damp squib, a sure fire set up for ‘after the lord mayors parade’. Play-offs are no longer the play-offs, they would be a short cup competition between a small amount of teams.. Why would people hold any value in it?
Quote: Phuzzy "I haven't swapped round minor premiers and premiers. I have given due credit to a competion that is currently regarded as second rate when it should be the most important! But let's, for the sake of argument say I have 'just swapped them around'. What is your argument against that?'"
We wouldn’t have a premier and minor premier, we would league champions and post-season cup winners. It would make the play-offs pointless Why should it be the most important? Why should we prize being consistent over being good? Why should we prize quantity over quality?

There would be no point to the play-offs. It would be the worst of both worlds. If you are that desperate for the league to decide the champions rather than the traditional way we have decided our champions then don’t bother with the play-offs at all.
Quote: Phuzzy "I would say that is the correct way they should be regarded and anything else is merely a falsehood. There is no way on earth that the playoffs should be regarded as the 'ultimate' achievement in the sport as it currently is. The situation is laughed at by fans of other sports (I visit many football strongholds in the course of my work and, without exception, they find the way our competition is run a joke) and, if I was being honest, I find it a joke too. Winning the title (i.e finishing first) is universally regarded as the toughest achievement in the sport. It should be recognised as such. In fact, I object to the term 'minor premiers'. As for awarding the plate to mark the achievement; well, the often used nickname 'The Hubcap' tells you all you need to know.'"
European football is in the minority of world wide sports to decide its champions that way. Far Far Far more sports throughout the world decide their champions in the way we do now, and have traditionally done.
Quote: Phuzzy "Someone else mentioned I was putting a lot of emphasis on the WCC. I wasn't. The emphasis was on recognising that the team finishing first should be champions. As champions you would play in the WCC. QED. I'm sick of hearing that the season no longer matters. Take a look at the season ticket thread on this very site for a taste of where we are as a sport.'"
The season does matter. Wigan just got it wrong this year, they peaked at the wrong time and were pretty poor for the last quarter of the year. It is a lazy analysis to say that Leeds didn’t try throughout the season and just came good at the end, whilst poor ol’ wigan went out in every game to win with a Corinthian spirit of fair play in their hearts, giving their all as sport should be. Its nonsense. Leeds train to peak at different points throughout the season. They have accepted that they cant be at 100% throughout the year. This means there are periods of the season when they play poorly, not deliberately, but because their fitness training is designed to factor in low periods because they need high periods. That’s why they win games in bunches, and lose games in bunches. Wigan didn’t do that, they tried to be 100% all the time, this meant that they had one long high period and one long low period. So when they met teams early in the season, on their low period, Wigan were playing at a higher level and blew them away, but at the end of the year when other teams where in their high period, like the last quarter of the year, Wigan lost 2 games v Leeds, against Wire and against St’s Wigan lost 5 of their last 12 games, they weren’t unlucky in one result going out to Leeds, they weren’t caught on the hop by a team who hadn’t tried throughout the season, they expended so much energy winning games early in the year that at the business end of the season they weren’t good enough to win the big games. I cant say I have too much sympathy for a team which won so many early season games, and lost so many of the late season games not being champions.
Quote: Phuzzy "Bury your head in the sand all you want. I'm a season ticket holder and have been for decades. If supportors such as myself are questioning the validity of our competition (and have been for some time) I think it's fair to say that something is badly wrong with it. I can honestly say I wish it was just me who was disillusioned. The truth is it isn't. Not by a long way.'"
Some people are questioning the validity of the competition because they dont understand what happened. Because Leeds set themselves up correctly to win the competition early season form meant they looked worse than they were, they were playing below themselves whilst others played above. Because Wigan didnt set themselves up correctly to win the competition their early season form made them look better than they were. Wigan peaked in late May/early june, they didnt win a big game after that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: DaveO "You could equally ask why does any body care about rounds 1-27 when the title is decided by a handful of matches at the end of the season.

Whatever system you adopt they both rely on the clubs taking the "meaningless" games seriously otherwise there is no point the fans turning up.'"
Idont dispute that.

Quote: DaveO "Given premiership soccer uses a league structure to decide the champions why does anyone care about the majority of games in that competition? They clearly do.

Of course the irony is, is last seasons soccer premiership being decided by virtually the last kick of the season completely rubbishes the idea you have to have a play off system to deliver an exciting end to the season. '"
That’s just a straw man, nobody has argued a league structure cannot possibly deliver an exciting end of season, just that it wont always and it leaves the possibility of large parts of the season being completely pointless.
Quote: DaveO "For me the playoffs are exactly like every school kid getting a prize on sports day. It is a system that is manufactured to give the impression teams are successful because they get into a top 8 when in fact the ones at the bottom end really are just poor teams. It's like the sport is afraid to acknowledge sporting failure and all that does is just like with school kids getting a prize for coming last is ensure no one bothers to try harder next time.'"
It is nothing like that at all.
Quote: DaveO "If you have and expanded WCC with one place for the league champions and one for the premiers neither competition would be pointless.'"
The play-offs would be pointless and idea goes against your own principle. If the league competition is the be all and end all of deciding quality then there is no need for the play-offs. If we accept your principle then the 2nd place team deserves the 2nd spot. They have, according to you, proven themselves the 2nd best team in the league. The play-offs would be pointless in a sporting sense because you have completely removed the legitimacy of them. They would be, the RL equivelant of the intertoto cup.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: HuddsWarrior "For me i have no issue in the Playoff winners being crowned champions even if it is a team finishing 5th. The problem i have is that teams can just coast through the regular season and into the playoffs. If you take the last 2 years then the best 2 teams were Wire and Wigan, but what if Leeds had played as well all year as they did in Sep/Oct, would they have topped the league, possibly? With the current system there is no incentive for them to play as well in the 1st 27 rounds, naturally you would expect any team to play to 100% every time they take the field but watch the Leeds team who won at DW in Sep and compare them to the Leeds team who were battered in June at Headlingley, and you can see the difference in mentality. We need to change that but im not sure what the answer will be, sadly the system we have seems to be the one that suits all 14 clubs best.'"

Similarly you could say, compare the Wigan team that played against Leeds in June at Headingley and compare it to the Wigan team which lost twice v Leeds, once v Sts, once V Wire, and once v Bradford in the last 12 games of the season. Its not coasting, its just the acceptance that you cant be 100% every time.

The answer to giving more meaning to the 27 rounds is to have 14 clubs who are viable play-off contenders, where the gap between 1st and 8th 10pts not 20-30 points. Where a couple of extra losses here and there are the difference between being in and out of the play-offs.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

next season there are at least 7 teams who I can see being competitve & being instrumental come the play offs - Leeds, Wire, Saints, Wigan, Hull, Cats, Hudds - that's a pretty good state of affairs.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: tigertot "next season there are at least 7 teams who I can see being competitve & being instrumental come the play offs - Leeds, Wire, Saints, Wigan, Hull, Cats, Hudds - that's a pretty good state of affairs.'"

It is, and if we had 10 teams doing that, then the league would be about as good as we could reasonably expect. If we had 10 realistic challengers then that would 2 didn’t even qualify for the play-offs.

For years we heard how anyone beating anyone, and any one of the play-off qualifiers being real contenders was one of the NRL’s main strengths, one of the reasons they were so good. We have a team from 5th win it and the whole thing becomes pointless.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach377No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2013Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tigertot "next season there are at least 7 teams who I can see being competitve & being instrumental come the play offs - Leeds, Wire, Saints, Wigan, Hull, Cats, Hudds - that's a pretty good state of affairs.'"

It's pretty good in the sense that you can't really call who'll finish where, or who'll end up winning the competition - but it'd be even better if those 7 were chasing 5 play-off spots.

As it is, all 7 can probably coast through much of their 2013 campaign without having to raise their intensity, even when playing against each other, because they all know they'll be there when it comes down to the business end.

Also, given the discontent from some quarters over Leeds winning it from 5th, imagine the fuss if Huddersfield did it from 7th next season - even though they were tipped as 'competitive' from the outset. By neccessity, the teams finishing 7th and 8th will end the regular season with losing records, or something very close to it, so there'll be a perception of them having been crap for six months, much like there has been with Leeds for the past couple of years. Would that make them unworthy Champions?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1661No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

No it isn't. It means that 7 places in the 8 are nailed on, so those 7 can coast through the regular season.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "That’s just a straw man, nobody has argued a league structure cannot possibly deliver an exciting end of season, just that it wont always and it leaves the possibility of large parts of the season being completely pointless. '"

It's not a straw man - it is an argument put forward in favour of a play off system as often as the equally ridiculous notion that with a league "large parts of the season being completely pointless".

Quote: SmokeyTA "It is nothing like that at all. '"

Of course it is. Teams can get the prize of a play off place for losing more league games than they win. It is a reward for mediocrity if ever there was one.

Quote: SmokeyTA "The play-offs would be pointless and idea goes against your own principle. If the league competition is the be all and end all of deciding quality then there is no need for the play-offs. If we accept your principle then the 2nd place team deserves the 2nd spot. They have, according to you, proven themselves the 2nd best team in the league. The play-offs would be pointless in a sporting sense because you have completely removed the legitimacy of them. They would be, the RL equivelant of the intertoto cup.'"

Now this IS a straw man argument. The problem with this idea is in your head. It's really simple. We have an extended WCC and the route into it is by either winning the league title or winning a play-offs. We then get round your objection of "large parts of the season being completely pointless" because we have retained the play-offs with a valuable prize at the end of them AND we have the league championship deciding the - league champions. Completely different competitions with different purposes with the label of champions being attached to the league champions rather than the winners of the play offs.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: DaveO "It's not a straw man - it is an argument put forward in favour of a play off system as often as the equally ridiculous notion that with a league "large parts of the season being completely pointless".'"
It is a straw man because nobody is arguing that there cannot possibly be an exciting finish to a league structure, There can and there will be examples where there was an exciting finish to a league season. There is however, also plenty of examples where the league competition was decided months before the end, where the declaration of champions became a procession, you want to bring up the example of the last premier league season as an exciting finish then yes, I would agree, but that would be countered by the year before where Man Utd won the league by 9 points, went top in November and didn’t go below that. The league was also won with a 1-1 draw against Blackburn which is about as far from exciting as you can get.

Quote: DaveO "Of course it is. Teams can get the prize of a play off place for losing more league games than they win. It is a reward for mediocrity if ever there was one. '"
Qualification for the play-offs isn’t the prize, winning them is. Qualification for the play-offs isn’t a reward, its survival in the competition.

Quote: DaveO "Now this IS a straw man argument. The problem with this idea is in your head. It's really simple. We have an extended WCC and the route into it is by either winning the league title or winning a play-offs. We then get round your objection of "large parts of the season being completely pointless" because we have retained the play-offs with a valuable prize at the end of them AND we have the league championship deciding the - league champions. Completely different competitions with different purposes with the label of champions being attached to the league champions rather than the winners of the play offs.'"
You really don’t seem to have thought this through. It doesn’t address the ‘large parts of the season being pointless’ at all, because once the play-offs have been qualified for, and the LLS being out of reach, we would be in exactly the same position as now, where (according to you) there is no reason for Leeds to exert themselves finishing higher than 5th. Leeds had a poor start to the year, the vast majority of their losses came in the early part of the season, by time the business end of the season came round the LLS was out of reach. Leeds would have been in exactly the same position as they were no, and would be able to coast in to the play-offs as you accuse them of.

The fact that we are needing to invent a super-special prize for the play-offs shows you have removed the legitimacy of it. You don’t win the Super League for the trophy, or the ring, or the WCC, you win it to be champions. The most important reward for winning SL isn’t entry to the WCC, it isn’t that trophy, the super-special prize is being champions. The competition has value in and of itself. You take that away from the play-offs and all you have is cup comp whose only meaning is to qualify for a different cup comp. You have invented the Intertoto cup.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Finfin "No it isn't. It means that 7 places in the 8 are nailed on, so those 7 can coast through the regular season.'"

But I don't expect them to, just as I don't believe they have in the past. I can't remember many or any games where losing teams were coasting. Sure, teams, if they have any brains, tailor their season to the play offs but I still don't believe that professional athletes aren't trying. I remember a game from the end of the season, WIdnes & some other basement dweller, which was an absolute cracker even though their seasons were apparently over weeks before.

Quote: Finfin "Also, given the discontent from some quarters over Leeds winning it from 5th, imagine the fuss if Huddersfield did it from 7th next season - even though they were tipped as 'competitive' from the outset. '"

The fuss is mainly from bitter fans of those teams who were expected to contend the final & didn't. Personally I thought it was a fantastic achievement by Leeds which I thoroughly enjoyed, despite not being a Rhinos supporter.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5360
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: SmokeyTA "No it would make the play-offs an extended post season jolly. We would be playing a competition where the ‘champions’ have already been decided.

For the vast majority of our history as a game, the champions have been the team which is consistent enough to qualify for the play-offs, and good enough to beat the big sides, in the big games, when the pressure is on. I like, that i think that is the best way of deciding who is the champion side. I want to know who is the best, who can play to the highest level when it counts, im not really interested in who can consistantly win against the smaller sides.
The champions have already been decided, the play-offs would be a damp squib, a sure fire set up for ‘after the lord mayors parade’. Play-offs are no longer the play-offs, they would be a short cup competition between a small amount of teams.. Why would people hold any value in it?
We wouldn’t have a premier and minor premier, we would league champions and post-season cup winners. It would make the play-offs pointless Why should it be the most important? Why should we prize being consistent over being good? Why should we prize quantity over quality?

There would be no point to the play-offs. It would be the worst of both worlds. If you are that desperate for the league to decide the champions rather than the traditional way we have decided our champions then don’t bother with the play-offs at all.
European football is in the minority of world wide sports to decide its champions that way. Far Far Far more sports throughout the world decide their champions in the way we do now, and have traditionally done.
The season does matter. Wigan just got it wrong this year, they peaked at the wrong time and were pretty poor for the last quarter of the year. It is a lazy analysis to say that Leeds didn’t try throughout the season and just came good at the end, whilst poor ol’ wigan went out in every game to win with a Corinthian spirit of fair play in their hearts, giving their all as sport should be. Its nonsense. Leeds train to peak at different points throughout the season. They have accepted that they cant be at 100% throughout the year. This means there are periods of the season when they play poorly, not deliberately, but because their fitness training is designed to factor in low periods because they need high periods. That’s why they win games in bunches, and lose games in bunches. Wigan didn’t do that, they tried to be 100% all the time, this meant that they had one long high period and one long low period. So when they met teams early in the season, on their low period, Wigan were playing at a higher level and blew them away, but at the end of the year when other teams where in their high period, like the last quarter of the year, Wigan lost 2 games v Leeds, against Wire and against St’s Wigan lost 5 of their last 12 games, they weren’t unlucky in one result going out to Leeds, they weren’t caught on the hop by a team who hadn’t tried throughout the season, they expended so much energy winning games early in the year that at the business end of the season they weren’t good enough to win the big games. I cant say I have too much sympathy for a team which won so many early season games, and lost so many of the late season games not being champions.
Some people are questioning the validity of the competition because they dont understand what happened. Because Leeds set themselves up correctly to win the competition early season form meant they looked worse than they were, they were playing below themselves whilst others played above. Because Wigan didnt set themselves up correctly to win the competition their early season form made them look better than they were. Wigan peaked in late May/early june, they didnt win a big game after that.'"

I was ok with this (albeit I comprehensively dispute every point you make) until the bit in bold. It is after all just your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, the bit in bold shows unbelievable arrogance! We don't understand what really happened??? Really??? Well thanks for enlightening us. I don't know how I ever managed until you came along. If you could see fit to explain the rest of this baffling world we live in I'd be ever so grateful! Suffice to say I, along with many others, am not happy watching and paying for meaningless games. You quite obviously are. Enjoy.

81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
81 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.5341796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
WHO IS NEXT
Once were Lo
45m
This site is crap
ALAW
45m
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
57m
TV Games - Not Hull
bonaire
Recent
Batley Bulldogs H
Willzay
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
Recent
Other Championship Clubs
REDWHITEANDB
Recent
Planning for next season
LeythIg
Recent
Salford - Away
The games af
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
The NRL Thread
YosemiteSam
1m
Batley Bulldogs H
Willzay
2m
Toulouse A
Bull Mania
2m
Tonights game v Giants
karetaker
3m
Surely its all over now for Watson
Jo Jumbuck
3m
Vegas Baby
Jason65
3m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
DSJ1983
3m
Accountability
Gazzagiant2
4m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Accountability
Gazzagiant2
TODAY
email
orangeman
TODAY
This site is crap
ALAW
TODAY
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Prettys Girls in your city for night
jackmac452
TODAY
Vegas Baby
Jason65
TODAY
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thriller
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights game v Giants
karetaker
TODAY
Free parking
Philth
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Start@1873
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
TODAY
Leeds
the-bearded-
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
walter wall
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Willzay
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,741 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
15:00
Salford
v
Hull FC
       Championship 2024-R14
Dewsbury
v
Doncaster
Featherstone
v
Whitehaven
Swinton
v
Widnes
Wakefield
v
Batley
York
v
Barrow
       League One 2024-R14
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Thu 11th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
10:50
Dolphins
v
Souths
 Fri 12th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Warrington
v
Leeds
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 Sat 13th Jul
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
WSL2024 7 LeedsW6-16St.HelensW
WSL2024 7 FeatherstoneW0-50WiganW
Fri 5th Jul
NRL 18 Cronulla16-20Gold Coast
NRL 18 Brisbane6-14Penrith
SL 16 St.Helens6-8Castleford
SL 16 Warrington48-0Huddersfield
SL 16 Wigan24-6Leigh
CH 14 Sheffield28-0Halifax
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Warrington 16 406 213 193 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 16 291 286 5 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10