JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

Quote: TrentBarrett "No Gareth Ellis ? surely that must be a mistake Wilkin isn't half as good.'"

According to the BBC Wilkin is claiming to be in the form of his life.

rlhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/15290003.stmrl

I should really have a dig at him, but I can't muster the enthusiasm even to take the p%ss out of a Stains player.

icon_biggrin.gifEPRESSED:

RankPostsTeam
International Star576No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="headhunter":lnxdgxk2]Union people are idiots. They almost universally accept that league is a better, faster game played by better athletes, yet for some reason they continue to disregard and belittle it. That game is tedious as hell from start to finish. If he'd ever played or even bothered to give more than a fleeting chance to league he would realise that the game is far more 'technical' than Union ever could be. Booting the ball into touch, scrummaging and forming rucks and mauls aren't areas that involve any skill, technique or mental capacity whatsoever. These are clumsy, outdated facets of the game that are also extremely uninteresting to watch and thus have to be defended in some way by people who are too prejudiced to see the truth.[/quote:lnxdgxk2]:

Quote: TrentBarrett "No Gareth Ellis ? surely that must be a mistake Wilkin isn't half as good.'"

icon_surprised.gifops: icon_surprised.gifops: Forgot he'd picked Ellis in the squad - In which case id drop heightingon for him....looks alot stronger then.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Quote: Deano G "According to the BBC Wilkin is claiming to be in the form of his life.

rlhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/15290003.stmrl

I should really have a dig at him, but I can't muster the enthusiasm even to take the p%ss out of a Stains player.

The thing with Wilkin is he's a decent SL player but he isn't international standard and thinks he's Wally Lewis instead of a 2nd rower.

You get JJB who isn't the best 2nd rower in the world but he will graft and put big hits in and play hard, I just think Wilkin is a 'cherry on the cake' sort of player where he would stand out playing for a good side but isn't good enough on his own to make much of a difference against the Aussies and Kiwis.

I think his bench spot should be used instead on Carvell, Griffin or Bailey, someone with a bit of 'sshyit' in em to ruffle the Aussies.

People may laugh at Bailey but when he starts acting the prat it ruffles the opposition and I think that's something we need to do against the Aussies, if we go out to play a normal game of Rugby League against the Aussies we will get stuffed but if we 'put it up em' we stand half a chance.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4979
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27794.gif
[b:1zy5cey6]"...To those people that wrote this team off... to all those that criticised this team... tonight's for you" [/b:1zy5cey6] [i:1zy5cey6]Sir Kevin Sinfield[/i:1zy5cey6]:27794.gif

Quote: post "The thing with Wilkin is he's a decent SL player but he isn't international standard and thinks he's Wally Lewis instead of a 2nd rower.
'"

Wilkin is nothing more than a "Flat Track Bully"
The only thing noticeable about him in regards to this seasons GF is his newspaper article, I can't remember him doing anything more than tackle in the final, he definitely didn't want the ball that often

He would never get in any international side of mine unless he has distant Scottish. Welsh or Irish parentage icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star791No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Sorry to say this but anyone who isn't picking heighington at least in the 17 needs to spend some time watching some NRL games.

Sam
Hall
Reed
Yeaman
Briscoe
Widdop
Chase
Morley
Roby
Graham
Westwood
Ellis
Heighington

Sinfield
Peacock
Carvell
J J-B

That's from the squad he picked, but I'd like to have seen Mossop in that squad. And I think it's time Peacock ended his international career. Not saying he's bad, I'd just like to see some younger lads in that squad.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator3221No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13373_1293476827.jpg
"I need to be myself, I can't be no-one else":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_13373.jpg

Who is this Sam everyone keeps referring too? Bob Sam? John Sam? Dave Sam? Phil Sam? Who does this 'Sam' guy play for??

RankPostsTeam
International Star113No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Dec 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
52293_1298740672.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_52293.jpg

Any ticket updates? Can we pay on the day?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: post "You get JJB who isn't the best 2nd rower in the world but he will graft and put big hits in and play hard, I just think Wilkin is a 'cherry on the cake' sort of player where he would stand out playing for a good side but isn't good enough on his own to make much of a difference against the Aussies and Kiwis. '"

It shows how you little you know about what Wilkin contributes. Remember the Exiles game? Wilkin was one of the two players who made a clean break (the other being James Graham). He tackles his heart out regardless of who he is playing for, always ending a match at the top end of tackles completed. His support play is excellent and he can pull off some tremendous passes. All these things are positives. Just because he doesn't do 'big hits' doesn't mean he isn't of value. His weaknesses are lack of pace, inconsistent kicking (sometimes fantastic; sometimes atrocious) and occasional lack of discipline leading to a penalty.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3368No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60495_1398780661.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60495.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "It shows how you little you know about what Wilkin contributes. Remember the Exiles game? Wilkin was one of the two players who made a clean break (the other being James Graham). He tackles his heart out regardless of who he is playing for, always ending a match at the top end of tackles completed. His support play is excellent and he can pull off some tremendous passes. All these things are positives. Just because he doesn't do 'big hits' doesn't mean he isn't of value. His weaknesses are lack of pace, inconsistent kicking (sometimes fantastic; sometimes atrocious) and occasional lack of discipline leading to a penalty.'"

Did joel not go the full length to score or was i watching something else, there is no way you can try and say wilkin is one of the first players to put hes hand up and take a big drive when its needed because hes not the kind of player. yeah he is a good defender but you have westwood and elis who can tackle for a day if they needed to. and we don't need another play making forward if sinfield is going to be played anywhere.

Against aus and new zealand you know your going to be starting your set deep in your own half so you need as much forward power to get out of there or you will start conceding points.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: dubairl "Did joel not go the full length to score or was i watching something else, there is no way you can try and say wilkin is one of the first players to put hes hand up and take a big drive when its needed because hes not the kind of player. yeah he is a good defender but you have westwood and elis who can tackle for a day if they needed to. and we don't need another play making forward if sinfield is going to be played anywhere. '"

I don't know what Joel Tomkins has to do with a discussion about Jon Wilkin? icon_confused.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg

Quote: MattyB "In the Exiles game Joel Tomkins broke through and ran to score a full length try.'"

Ah. I forgot about that. So that is three clean breaks then by the England team.

Quote: MattyB "You're not very good as this are you? The discussion wasn't about who made clean breaks though. I'm not on here for a dick measuring contest. It was about Jon Wilkin and what he brings to the England team. So yes, I AM 'good at this' but I can't account for people moving the goal posts.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

I'm not Wilkins biggest fan by any means, but I think he had a very good season for Saints and must have been close to being their player of the season. The fact that Gareth Hock had his brain fart and Lockers was unavailable made him an automatic England choice IMO.

Getting back on track, I still don't like the idea of starting with a loose forward at stand off, and only one prop on the bench.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Quote: SaintsFan "It shows how you little you know about what Wilkin contributes. Remember the Exiles game? Wilkin was one of the two players who made a clean break (the other being James Graham). He tackles his heart out regardless of who he is playing for, always ending a match at the top end of tackles completed. His support play is excellent and he can pull off some tremendous passes. All these things are positives. Just because he doesn't do 'big hits' doesn't mean he isn't of value. His weaknesses are lack of pace, inconsistent kicking (sometimes fantastic; sometimes atrocious) and occasional lack of discipline leading to a penalty.'"

I was waiting for a bite off a Saints fan, I don't think you have got my point.

Wilkin is a decent SL player, he might tackle his heart out but so did Malcolm Alker. You say he has a good passing game and his kicking might get a bit wayward, that proves my point about him ar5ing around thinking he's Wally lewis and he's a 'cherry on the cake' type of player, yes very good in a team on top but he won't be driving the ball out of his own 20 and making yards as he also lacks size too.

Against Aus we need players like Ellis and Westwood playing second row like their lives depend on it, Wilkin is a decent player in SL but not International IMO, it's not Wigan bias as I wouldn't of had Joel Tomkins in before him after this last season where he has been sulking all season, maybe would have had Hock before him if he was a bit fitter.

It's not anti Saints either as I think Roby and Graham always step up to International level.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1513No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34090_1296322611.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34090.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "I'm not Wilkins biggest fan by any means, but I think he had a very good season for Saints and must have been close to being their player of the season. The fact that Gareth Hock had his brain fart and Lockers was unavailable made him an automatic England choice IMO.

Getting back on track, I still don't like the idea of starting with a loose forward at stand off, and only one prop on the bench.'"

agreed

based on his season, I think Wilkin deserves his spot in the 17, i've been very impressed with him

63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
63 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.357421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
moto748
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
Recent