JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Nov 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32494_1292356348.jpg
My record at Headingley 18/06/05 L 0-70 09/06/06 L 22-48 05/10/07 L 6-36 31/05/08 L 16 – 23 26/10/08 L 18-14 [b]25/09/10 W 26-6[/b] 1/4/11 D 22-22 [b]The vodoo is broken!! :D[/b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32494.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "I'd start him instead of Roberts but I'm in the minority.'"

So would I

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: FekaTheBeast "So would I'"

I would of done when Ainscough was playing well last season, I would of kept him in. Right now, I would play Roberts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach25No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2012Apr 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Baby Sinclair.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Baby Sinclair.gif

I hope he has shown up well in pre season training. I think he has the potential to become our best winger. A regular slot would make him a good bet for one of the top try scorers in the league.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach84No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Jan 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: CentralPark "I hope he has shown up well in pre season training. I think he has the potential to become our best winger. A regular slot would make him a good bet for one of the top try scorers in the league.'"

on his day nobody can touch him the best try scorer around hope madge works with him and sorts out his defence as he was a bit of a liability every team targeted him with their kicking game but he has time on his side and he has the potential to be a wigan legend

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Even with the negatives in his game was 10 times better than Roberts last season, Roberts is a cracking player just needs a bit more desire.

I hope Ainscough has worked hard on his dealing with kicks if he has he will be a world beater and a starting wing spot in place of Roberts. Don't get me wrong I think Roberts is a classy player it's just I would have Ainscough over Roberts when both are on form as Ainscough has desire in the bucket load.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3528
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25472.jpg
[img:2n7j1gh7]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/heathenchemist/sig.gif[/img:2n7j1gh7] [size=75:2n7j1gh7][color=red:2n7j1gh7]WIGAN RLFC IS MORE THAN A RUGBY CLUB - IT'S A RELIGION[/color:2n7j1gh7][/size:2n7j1gh7] [size=75:2n7j1gh7][color=black:2n7j1gh7]There will always be a Wigan Warriors no matter what the bitter & twisted blues say[/color:2n7j1gh7][/size:2n7j1gh7]:25472.jpg

Quote: post "Even with the negatives in his game was 10 times better than Roberts last season, Roberts is a cracking player just needs a bit more desire.

I hope Ainscough has worked hard on his dealing with kicks if he has he will be a world beater and a starting wing spot in place of Roberts. Don't get me wrong I think Roberts is a classy player it's just I would have Ainscough over Roberts when both are on form as Ainscough has desire in the bucket load.'"

competition for places can only be good for the team

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: post "Even with the negatives in his game was 10 times better than Roberts last season, Roberts is a cracking player just needs a bit more desire. '"

The negatives in Ainscoughs game were overstated last season and blown out of all proportion IMO. Other players including Roberts had just as many if not more issues with their game defensively but an excuse was needed by some to back Nobbies ludicrous (IMO) decision to drop him for his senior player at the first opportunity. Due to this fiasco Ainscough went from a try scoring sensation to a player with issues.

The fact Noble justified his position by always seeming to end on a negative when asked about how well Ainscough had played by the press left the impression he was doomed to be dropped if he never made a single mistake in attack or defense.

Hopefully things like scoring four tries one week and being dropped the next won't have knocked his confidence.

Looking back on the Ainscough situation it's one of the biggest reasons I am happy Noble is no longer our coach and we have apprently entered an era where you get picked on form not reputation.

Quote: post "I hope Ainscough has worked hard on his dealing with kicks if he has he will be a world beater and a starting wing spot in place of Roberts. Don't get me wrong I think Roberts is a classy player it's just I would have Ainscough over Roberts when both are on form as Ainscough has desire in the bucket load.'"

Roberts needs to up his game as well as do several senior players. Ainscough has the excuse of inexperience but he more than made up for the odd error in each game he played. I don't think the same can be said of the senior players who often were making mistakes but not scoring for fun at the other end to make up for it.

The comparison with Roberts is often put down because Roberts plays on the wrong side to get the opportunities but based on what I saw last season when he did get the ball the big difference between the two wingers was Roberts rarely backed himself and would cut inside and take a tackle whereas Ainscough had the confidence of youth to try anything. I hope he still has that confidence and for the good of the team I hope Roberts starts backing himself more than he did.

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

I agree with this.

Given Roberts was nothing special, I think SA was very unlucky not to get more opportunities last season.

I could see where Noble was coming from regarding the defence of SA, but as I said, Roberts offered not much more imo.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7764
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Ainscough wasn't dropped for Roberts last season, He was dropped to make way for Richards on the Left Wing.
BN never said he had a problem with his defence last season, he said he had "Areas of his game to work on". It was people on here who highlighted some of his defincies on kick return/Kick defence who then helped to spread the Myth that Noble had said he had dropped him for said reasons, he didn't.
I suspect EVERY player had areas of his game to work on & Noble used this as a way of not getting too much HYPE around Ainscough when he thought/knew there would be an inevitable Dip in his scoring rate.

I think Roberts was a better Right Wing option last season than Ainscough.

Plenty people agree, plenty people disagree.

Let's see who MM picks when he has a full squad available Eh? We'll then see who he thinks is the better "Right Wing" option.

Maybe then we will all see than BN wasn't so wrong with his picking of Roberts last season, or maybe we will?

But whatever the outcome is the coach will pick what he thinks is the best option for the team.

Individuals who think though that BN's decision to play Roberts/Richards on the wing & leave Ainsocugh out is proof that BN was the Devil Incarnate will IMO be in for a major disappointment "If" MM picks the certain players in certain positions tha BN did and Omits others.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: Jukesays "Ainscough wasn't dropped for Roberts last season, He was dropped to make way for Richards on the Left Wing.
BN never said he had a problem with his defence last season, he said he had "Areas of his game to work on". It was people on here who highlighted some of his defincies on kick return/Kick defence who then helped to spread the Myth that Noble had said he had dropped him for said reasons, he didn't.
I suspect EVERY player had areas of his game to work on & Noble used this as a way of not getting too much HYPE around Ainscough when he thought/knew there would be an inevitable Dip in his scoring rate.

Let's see who MM picks when he has a full squad available Eh? We'll then see who he thinks is the better "Right Wing" option.

Maybe then we will all see than BN wasn't so wrong with his picking of Roberts last season, or maybe we will?

But whatever the outcome is the coach will pick what he thinks is the best option for the team.

Individuals who think though that BN's decision to play Roberts/Richards on the wing & leave Ainsocugh out is proof that BN was the Devil Incarnate will IMO be in for a major disappointment "If" MM picks the certain players in certain positions tha BN did and Omits others.'"

Perhaps Juke, but I bet they don't kick up a fuss about it! icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7764
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: XBrettKennyX "Perhaps Juke, but I bet they don't kick up a fuss about it!
Unless we lose! Then that will be the reason (Or that we let Mickey Higham go!) we lost!
All those who would pick Ainscough agree with each other but "If" they were asked to pick the 16 other players & what positions would probably disagree on it.
So why does their agreement on this issue "Prove" they are right yet their disagreement on other players doesn't prove that maybe they are Wrong?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Jukesays "Ainscough wasn't dropped for Roberts last season, He was dropped to make way for Richards on the Left Wing.
BN never said he had a problem with his defence last season, he said he had "Areas of his game to work on". It was people on here who highlighted some of his defincies on kick return/Kick defence who then helped to spread the Myth that Noble had said he had dropped him for said reasons, he didn't.'"

I didn't say he did but I did not imagine Noble virtually always ending on a negative when discussing AInscough in the press. It is as though it never crossed his mind just offering him some unqualified praise for once might be a good idea for his confidence.

As to being dropped he was dropped when Noble could play all his senior players.

Quote: Jukesays "I suspect EVERY player had areas of his game to work on & Noble used this as a way of not getting too much HYPE around Ainscough when he thought/knew there would be an inevitable Dip in his scoring rate.

Maybe then we will all see than BN wasn't so wrong with his picking of Roberts last season, or maybe we will?'"

We already know the andwer to that. He was wrong to drop Ainscough when Ainscough was on form IMO. If Noble picked on form he would have kept him in the side but we know from Nobles own words that Noble will always give his senior players the benefit of the doubt. That is the way he coaches and it is different from how Maguire coaches we are told. So if Roberts gets the nod it is because he will be on form in 2010 not because Noble was right to pick him in 2009 when he wasn't (on form) .

Quote: Jukesays "But whatever the outcome is the coach will pick what he thinks is the best option for the team.

Individuals who think though that BN's decision to play Roberts/Richards on the wing & leave Ainsocugh out is proof that BN was the Devil Incarnate will IMO be in for a major disappointment "If" MM picks the certain players in certain positions tha BN did and Omits others.'"

The only disappointment will be if Maquire "does a Noble" and ignores form. If he picks on form it does not matter who he picks. The criticism Noble got wasn't because he didn't pick Ainscough or whoever but because he kept persisting with out of form players and his "pick the first 17" philosophy meant there was no competition for places. Hopefully all that is a thing of the past but even if it is I don't think anyone is naive enough to think it guarantees Ainscough an extended run in the side.

For all we know Noble could have already ruined him icon_wink.gif

Dave

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg
[color=#000000:3fno8grb]Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing. [/color:3fno8grb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30366.jpg

Quote: Odemwingie "I would of done when Ainscough was playing well last season, I would of kept him in. Right now, I would play Roberts.'"

So would I. It's a fresh start for all players under a new management team. I can't fault the team we have named.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: DaveO "The negatives in Ainscoughs game were overstated last season and blown out of all proportion IMO. Other players including Roberts had just as many if not more issues with their game defensively but an excuse was needed by some to back Nobbies ludicrous (IMO) decision to drop him for his senior player at the first opportunity. Due to this fiasco Ainscough went from a try scoring sensation to a player with issues.

The fact Noble justified his position by always seeming to end on a negative when asked about how well Ainscough had played by the press left the impression he was doomed to be dropped if he never made a single mistake in attack or defense.

Hopefully things like scoring four tries one week and being dropped the next won't have knocked his confidence.

Looking back on the Ainscough situation it's one of the biggest reasons I am happy Noble is no longer our coach and we have apprently entered an era where you get picked on form not reputation.

Roberts needs to up his game as well as do several senior players. Ainscough has the excuse of inexperience but he more than made up for the odd error in each game he played. I don't think the same can be said of the senior players who often were making mistakes but not scoring for fun at the other end to make up for it.

The comparison with Roberts is often put down because Roberts plays on the wrong side to get the opportunities but based on what I saw last season when he did get the ball the big difference between the two wingers was Roberts rarely backed himself and would cut inside and take a tackle whereas Ainscough had the confidence of youth to try anything. I hope he still has that confidence and for the good of the team I hope Roberts starts backing himself more than he did.

Dave'"

Got to say I agree with you on this one Dave.

Ainscough would of really kicked on last season had we left him in IMO. This season though I am happy to have Roberts as first choice, he was good at the back end of last season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Odemwingie "Got to say I agree with you on this one Dave.

Ainscough would of really kicked on last season had we left him in IMO. This season though I am happy to have Roberts as first choice, he was good at the back end of last season.'"

I'm just glad that we've got them both.

I always thought the 'Ainscough or Roberts' issue was being overstated - to me, Roberts was brought in partly as cover for full-back, Mathers clearly not having what we'd hoped for. He wasn't brought in to replace Ainscough. But there's no denying, under Noble you eventually got the feeling that Ainscough wasn't going to get a fair crack of the whip.

Hopefully that's now in the past, and selections will be made on merit. What could be better for Wigan than having two pretty decent wingers jockeying for a first team shirt?

40 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
40 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1279296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Film game
Wanderer
2m