Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: fleabag "And this post does ?'"

We were talking about whether or not abolishing the Salary Cap would save the game. It won’t if there isn’t enough money in the pot to pay for it.

Sulkily saying ‘Okay let’s sell our players instead’ … adds nothing whatever to the debate, because we’ll be selling more than our players if we finish up with a league consisting of Wigan, Salford, Warrington and Leeds. That’s the crisis the game is facing – the SL doesn’t have enough money to sustain itself as things are without throwing ourselves open to NRL-type salary demands.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

eusa_wall.gif

Some people, it seems, still don't get it.

The SC is not the only thing wrong with the management of RL. There are so many things wrong with the way the sport is run that it's difficult to know where to start. The SC is however as good a place as any. THe SC reflects wider issues and problems in the game - lack of ambition, a failure to grasp what a real system of financial controls would look like, envy amongst some people in the RL world that some players might make significantly higher wages than they do, a desire on the part of club owners to reduce pay in real terms. The SC makes many of these problems worse.

The SC is a failure, it has failed to level the playing field significantly, it has failed to provide financial stability, it has seen increasing numbers of players leave the game. To those who say we cannot afford to pay more, the only answer is that we have to find ways of doing so or the SL will become a semi-pro league more like the French championship than what we think of as top flight RL. This is because the SC era has seen appalling financial performance to the extent that clubs cannot afford to pay much more than the SC (and some clubs can't afford even to spend the full SC). Inflation has eroded the real value of the SC by more than 30%. Inflation will continue to chip away at the real value of the SC until the game goes semi pro.

What we need is a rigorous system of financial planning and monitoring. The pro SC brigade still like to pretend that there are only two options, scrap the cap (or raise it to unaffordable levels) or the status quo, when there is obviously a third option - introducing a better system.

Also when people talk about the risks of not having the current cap in place they not only forget that we could have a better system, they also forget that the risks involved in not doing anything are massive.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Deano G "The SC is a failure, it has failed to level the playing field significantly, it has failed to provide financial stability, it has seen increasing numbers of players leave the game. To those who say we cannot afford to pay more, the only answer is that we have to find ways of doing so or the SL will become a semi-pro league more like the French championship than what we think of as top flight RL. This is because the SC era has seen appalling financial performance to the extent that clubs cannot afford to pay much more than the SC (and some clubs can't afford even to spend the full SC). Inflation has eroded the real value of the SC by more than 30%. Inflation will continue to chip away at the real value of the SC until the game goes semi pro.

What we need is a rigorous system of financial planning and monitoring. The pro SC brigade still like to pretend that there are only two options, scrap the cap (or raise it to unaffordable levels) or the status quo, when there is obviously a third option - introducing a better system.

Also when people talk about the risks of not having the current cap in place they not only forget that we could have a better system, they also forget that the risks involved in not doing anything are massive.'"

I absolutely agree with the bit I've underlined. I've never been a fan of the salary cap per se, and I totally believe that it was introduced to peg Wigan back - not to even the playing field, but specifically to undermine a Wigan club who had just acquired a very rich owner in Dave Whelan - and I'd be strongly in favour of moderating it so that those who really try to contribute to the game get rewarded. I'd also be dead keen to hear about any realistic and constructive alternative - I genuinely would, as I too believe that drastic action is now necessary to save us.

However, the exchange of views I engaged in earlier was in response to a rather spurious accusation that IL, by voting to keep the Salary Cap, was responsible for the game's decline (which frankly was no more than a flimsy attempt to cast yet more aspersions on him). The situation is nothing like that simple. If anything, I'd argue that IL's attitude is actually in response to the game's decline.

Until we find ways to pay more, as you yourself say, it could be that clubs have no option but to maintain the Salary Cap as it is because they can see how parlous the game's financial state is. Their chairmen are much closer to the books than we are, and they know who can and can't afford to compete. If there are lot more who can't than can, then we are in real trouble.

The other problem is that, even if we had an unlimited cap, what kind of fees would seriously be required to keep the likes of Sam away from the new-look NRL? Not only would we need to improve on the massive cash they can flaunt, but we'd have to make it worth his while to remain in our failing competition and stay away from the Sydney lifestyle and a league which now really is the best and most exciting in the world, and where British players are at last getting respect on a national stage. You can imagine the field-day the likes of Sam's agent would have if he could ask for anything he wanted.

It's a nightmarish mess, but to lay it at the door of the Wigan chairman because he cast one of several votes to keep our cap at a manageable level is a bit ridiculous.

Has he damaged the game by letting Sam go? Maybe. I think all losses of great players damage the game - the NRL is a much bigger problem for us than Union ever was, because players defecting to the NRL maintain respect - but it may also be that by allowing Sam to go a year early, we're in a better position to keep others. It's all about balancing the books and not getting into debt - even with no cap, we'd have that consideration.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: Cruncher "I absolutely agree with the bit I've underlined. I've never been a fan of the salary cap per se, and I totally believe that it was introduced to peg Wigan back - not to even the playing field, but specifically to undermine a Wigan club who had just acquired a very rich owner in Dave Whelan - and I'd be strongly in favour of moderating it so that those who really try to contribute to the game get rewarded. I'd also be dead keen to hear about any realistic and constructive alternative - I genuinely would, as I too believe that drastic action is now necessary to save us.

However, the exchange of views I engaged in earlier was in response to a rather spurious accusation that IL, by voting to keep the Salary Cap, was responsible for the game's decline (which frankly was no more than a flimsy attempt to cast yet more aspersions on him). The situation is nothing like that simple. If anything, I'd argue that IL's attitude is actually in response to the game's decline.

Until we find ways to pay more, as you yourself say, it could be that clubs have no option but to maintain the Salary Cap as it is because they can see how parlous the game's financial state is. Their chairmen are much closer to the books than we are, and they know who can and can't afford to compete. If there are lot more who can't than can, then we are in real trouble.

The other problem is that, even if we had an unlimited cap, what kind of fees would seriously be required to keep the likes of Sam away from the new-look NRL? Not only would we need to improve on the massive cash they can flaunt, but we'd have to make it worth his while to remain in our failing competition and stay away from the Sydney lifestyle and a league which now really is the best and most exciting in the world, and where British players are at last getting respect on a national stage. You can imagine the field-day the likes of Sam's agent would have if he could ask for anything he wanted.

It's a nightmarish mess, but to lay it at the door of the Wigan chairman because he cast one of several votes to keep our cap at a manageable level is a bit ridiculous.

Has he damaged the game by letting Sam go? Maybe. I think all losses of great players damage the game - the NRL is a much bigger problem for us than Union ever was, because players defecting to the NRL maintain respect - but it may also be that by allowing Sam to go a year early, we're in a better position to keep others. It's all about balancing the books and not getting into debt - even with no cap, we'd have that consideration.'"

Maintain respect? Not sure what you mean here.

Sam is a RL player, way more suited to RL than RU (though imo he will go in the future to try it out)

Josh would fit into RU like a glove and I can see him going very soon.

No-one is laying all the blame for the CC at the feet of IL, that would be silly.

HOWEVER, he did vote for the status quo so must share some of the blame.

As DeanoG says the CC is symptomatic of the attitude of the RFL in general.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: XBrettKennyX "Maintain respect? Not sure what you mean here.

Sam is a RL player, way more suited to RL than RU (though imo he will go in the future to try it out)

Josh would fit into RU like a glove and I can see him going very soon.

No-one is laying all the blame for the CC at the feet of IL, that would be silly.

HOWEVER, he did vote for the status quo so must share some of the blame.

As DeanoG says the CC is symptomatic of the attitude of the RFL in general.'"

No arguments from me on the underlined bit.

By maintaining respect I meant they don't get the criticism for taking a soft option (whether deserved or undeserved).

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

IL voted to keep the salary cap at the level it is because most clubs don't spend it anyway and the divide between the top and the bottom would have been even greater. He has criticised the RFL on numerous occasions with regards to us losing players to the NRL/RU but I guess you would have to listen to what he actually says in full rather than find the bits you dislike and run with them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

On the Tomkins move BTW, I have a feeling he'll play at 6 for the Warriors with Tommy moving to 9 to replace Nathan Friend (who I THINK is leaving) and Locky staying at full back.

Can't see him being too happy to be a sub and he's far too talented for that so unless they sell him (which again I can't see) then there isn't much room for him. A 9, 7, 6, 1 of Leuluai, Johnson, Sam and Locke has me pretty excited though as a Warriors fan.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5443
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
788_1290880131.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_788.gif

Quote: Cruncher "We were talking about whether or not abolishing the Salary Cap would save the game. It won’t if there isn’t enough money in the pot to pay for it.

Sulkily saying ‘Okay let’s sell our players instead’ … adds nothing whatever to the debate, because we’ll be selling more than our players if we finish up with a league consisting of Wigan, Salford, Warrington and Leeds. That’s the crisis the game is facing – the SL doesn’t have enough money to sustain itself as things are without throwing ourselves open to NRL-type salary demands.'"

Agreed. As pointed out, the "level playing field" excuse clearly hasn't worked, and in my view a return to the original concept of "50% of income" (or similar) should be reintroduced; applied retrospectively, so that, for example, 2012 income determines 2013 allowed expenditure, and so on.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Conroy "most clubs don't spend it anyway'"

Is that right? I thought they did. Didn't London even manage to spend up to the cap this year?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "Is that right? I thought they did. Didn't London even manage to spend up to the cap this year?'"

Most can't afford too and when they try they end up in financial trouble. Why would we raise it?

London pay their players more due to the cost of living as mentioned in another thread by FT.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3368No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2015Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60495_1398780661.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60495.jpg

Quote: Conroy "On the Tomkins move BTW, I have a feeling he'll play at 6 for the Warriors with Tommy moving to 9 to replace Nathan Friend (who I THINK is leaving) and Locky staying at full back.

Can't see him being too happy to be a sub and he's far too talented for that so unless they sell him (which again I can't see) then there isn't much room for him. A 9, 7, 6, 1 of Leuluai, Johnson, Sam and Locke has me pretty excited though as a Warriors fan.'"

got a year extension but i believe your correct that he's going to be interchanging with tommy.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Father Ted "If Hansen went to Salford at the end of next season we wouldn't get anything as he's out of contract. He may well go. That would hardly be a disaster as we are not short of back rowers. '"

It wouldn't be a disaster because he will have fulfilled his contract and given us value for money. It would be a shame if he left as I am sure he will have plenty left in the tank and I'd like to think we would try and retain his services. Not sure what H has got to do with the Tomkins situation though.

Quote: Father Ted "As far as I'm concerned Ian Lenagan has done the best deal he can for Wigan RL. The new reality is that 75% of players would go to Union or the NRL if they had a chance. So the players Union tells us.

IL is ring fencing Wigan's finances by signing our best players on long term contracts, not to stop them going as he has always known he can't but to ensure he has a legal right to compensation. He has exacted that to an astoundingly successful degree.'"

He has done nothing new at all here. Ever since the contract system came in we have given players long contracts and others not so long. We have plenty of players currently on short contracts such as Taylor and Burke. Why aren't these and others on five year deals if his contracts are designed in the way you say?

Quote: Father Ted "It is suggested that Wigan RL will get £700k for Sam, £100k for Mossop and £250k for Hock. That's over £1m for players , apart from Hock, who wanted to play in the NRL. OK so that will probably arrive over the years of the player's contract. That's still far bettter than Saints got for Graham and Eastmond and what we got for Ashton, which of course was sod all!
'"

Sants enjoyed the services of Graham and Eastmond for the duration of their contracts. I am pretty sure Graham was on a long contract anyway and Saints simply chose not to sell him early and cash in.

Quote: Father Ted "Some have asked as to where's the money going, well perhaps to pay off some of the club's debts. Can't find my copy of the 2011 accounts but in 2010 we had £ms of debts. 2012 Accounts aren't available yet, not to me anyway.

As to Lenegan pocketing the money himself, well as yet he hasn't paid himself anything as Chairman and Owner of the club. If he paid himself £100k then it would be less than half Nigel Wood is getting and there's no comparison as to the ability and business acumen of the two men. He has also invested heavily in facilities like Central Park, Orrell training Ground, South Wales and is improving the scouting system. '"

This is only to be expected. It's his job.

Quote: Father Ted "A lot of mention has been written on here as to how IL has handled the Sam business and what he has or has not said.
What is significant to me is that when he first bought the club and had a fans forum at the Deanery he said he aquired the club to win trophies.
Either at that meeting or a later one he also said that having a profitable club was an important part of securing Wigan RL's future. Well, he's acheived both those targets. Maybe his next is to have a debt free club. '"

I don't see why you link how he's handled the Sam situation (poorly) to what he said when he first bought the club except to deflect criticism. It's not black and white that he is all good or all evil. He gets some things right and some things wrong. He's handled the Sam situation badly but that doesn't mean the new CP is a poor idea, nor does the new CP mean we should dismiss how he's handled the Sam situation.

Quote: Father Ted "Sam is a fabulous player and the best we've seen for a very long time. We've also seen some other very good players leave.
All this is part and parcel. As for my attitude, it's brought about by my experiences of watching Wigan RL.
When I started following the club mid/late fifties Eric Ashton was the captain. He was the captain of Wigan, Lancashire, Great Britain and a World Cup winning captain. When Eric rertired around 1969/70 I thought the Wigan Rugby League world was about to end. Also with Billy going about the same time.
After that, well, players come and players go, Sam came through the academy and is going. Nothing though, but nothing compares to losing Eric and Billy within a year or so, absolutely nothing!

Lenagan is around my age, if not my age and will have seen the same games, players, finals, trophies as me. Maybe he and I have the same attitude, players come and players go, so do Club Chairmen.
As we all say and believe, no one person is bigger than the Wigan RL. No one!
Ian Lenegan is securing the future of Wigan RL more than any of us thought possible and far better than most of his predessors.
Well Done Mr Lenegan and Thanks.'"

eusa_boohoo.gif

Sorry but the fact other players leave has got nothing to do with the circumstances Sam left under. All good things come to and end and I have been sad to see many a player leave but this is not the normal situation where a player leaves to retire.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1522No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60422_1310296726.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60422.jpg

Quote: DaveO "It wouldn't be a disaster because he will have fulfilled his contract and given us value for money. It would be a shame if he left as I am sure he will have plenty left in the tank and I'd like to think we would try and retain his services. Not sure what H has got to do with the Tomkins situation though.

He has done nothing new at all here. Ever since the contract system came in we have given players long contracts and others not so long. We have plenty of players currently on short contracts such as Taylor and Burke. Why aren't these and others on five year deals if his contracts are designed in the way you say?

Sants enjoyed the services of Graham and Eastmond for the duration of their contracts. I am pretty sure Graham was on a long contract anyway and Saints simply chose not to sell him early and cash in.

This is only to be expected. It's his job.

I don't see why you link how he's handled the Sam situation (poorly) to what he said when he first bought the club except to deflect criticism. It's not black and white that he is all good or all evil. He gets some things right and some things wrong. He's handled the Sam situation badly but that doesn't mean the new CP is a poor idea, nor does the new CP mean we should dismiss how he's handled the Sam situation.

I think you would disect a terd if it could be used to hurt Lenagan

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The Communist Cap - dragging down success and aspiration to the levels of those who cba.:

Quote: Mash Butty "I think you would disect a terd if it could be used to hurt Lenagan'"

I think you should spell check your reply before insulting as you do.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1522No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60422_1310296726.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60422.jpg

Quote: XBrettKennyX "I think you should spell check your reply before insulting as you do.'"

I would see a shrink about your problem with Lenagan

183 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
183 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1318359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
15m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Irregular Ho
38m