FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Lenagan pulling no punches...
28 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Star1002
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62118_1550845628.png
Everything [i:1c0rjla2]is [/i:1c0rjla2]Awesome:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62118.png

Quote: Eastbourne Warrior "....it has the potential to be an exciting and interesting competition for most teams.....'"
I liked the concept from the first day it was mooted (and all the pundits were dismissing it as raving lunacy). But, and it's a HUGE "but",[i where is the money going to come from?[/i Who is going to broadcast the middle 8 for example? Assuming Premier Sports are on board for 2015, are they & Sly going to share it out between them?
I really hope it does work, but I simply don't trust the current set of jokers in charge to get it right.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3908
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

It's not rocket science. We should have made some tough but necessary decisions about what i call no ambition clubs and then when we had a solid group of teams we should have implemented longer licensing & forced quotas of academy produced players onto clubs.

We should have closed SL up and kept the licensing system for a minimum of 10 years imo. Like the Grand Final or Magic Weekend it needed a prolonged period to really bed in and become the norm. How can you judge something in so little time? How do you know the long term impacts and benefits?

Going back to a hap hazard promotion and relegation system isn't good for anyone. In previous seasons with P&R in place all we saw was the yo-yoing of a couple of teams being promoted and then getting relegated the season straight after. Add into that the sides were jam packed with 2nd rate Aussies who once relegated signed for the promoted team the season after made it laughable.

You only have to look at the development of Widnes to see the positives of a having time to build without the threat of relegation hanging over you. In their first season they stayed loyal to the young lads who had been with them in the Championship. It let them properly evaluate which lads were good enough to make the step up in class. Do you really think anything like that would have happened if they had to fight relegation from day 1? They progressed in a slow and steady way in every 3 of the seasons of the licensing system.

We needed longer to let the stability that it offered sink into the league. Long term investment in youth without the fear of relegation is how you improve standards. Look at a club like Cas who have now got a settled and talented side.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1876No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28305.gif
:28305.gif

Quote: CyberPieMan "I liked the concept from the first day it was mooted (and all the pundits were dismissing it as raving lunacy). But, and it's a HUGE "but",[i where is the money going to come from?[/i Who is going to broadcast the middle 8 for example? Assuming Premier Sports are on board for 2015, are they & Sly going to share it out between them?
I really hope it does work, but I simply don't trust the current set of jokers in charge to get it right.'"

I, along with most give the RFL a substantial amount of criticism but surely in the deal signed with sky there has to be a contracted number of games shown from the second teer during the weekly rounds combined with a selection of matches from each of the three groups after the split.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "I don't really get where you're coming from with this £1m game stuff. '"

It is a proposal from the RFL for the 4th and 5th teams to play off to decide who finishes 4th regardless of the points position. They called it the £1m game because if you win you gain and extra £1m on the salary cap if you are not already a SL team as you will be going up (and presumably lose if you are a SL side if going down - back to the old problem of P&R between pro and semi pro leagues with players contracts ripped up no doubt).

Quote: Grimmy "The middle 8 is effectively a mini league where teams need to make the top 4 to survive so surely most games will matter. If it all ends up coming down to the result of one game putting a Championship club up then it's because the team did well enough to get into that position. Of course it's open to a bad ref call, injuries, bounce of a ball etc but that's only the same as the play offs and many other relegation systems.'"

At 4th they could finish several points better off than the 5th placed side and have beaten all sides below them in the mini-league. It's not just about only doing well enough to finish 4th its about whether finishing 5th despite being potentially very poor in the league is reason enough alone to give them a pop in a one off final.

It is a totally contrived fixture all about trying to manufacture a situation. It's got naff all to do with merit.

Quote: Grimmy "If this system is engineering the failure of a team you must hate the football system. 3 teams are guaranteed to be relegated from the Premier League next year, none are guaranteed to be relegated from Super League.
'"

I have no idea what the relevance of the above statement is.

Quote: Grimmy "I'm looking forward to next year and think it will be a vast improvement with regular season games being far more important and teams 5-8 being pushed to properly catch up with 1-4 instead of just hoping they can come good in a game or two the play offs. Likewise teams 9-12 will be pushed to make the top 8 to get big games at the back end of the season and avoid the prospect of relegation. Championship teams also incentivised by the possibility of making the Super League'"

You are ignoring the logistics. Only a few sides will get an increased salary cap to cira £900K and so the rest will be expected to play against these sides in the lower 12 before the split on a peanuts budget. As I said above if we do get movement between leagues the former SL side will lose circa £1m in salary cap spend. This is no different a situation in reality to relegation as was under the old system. You can't just shed £1m off your wage bill without sacking players. It is no way to run a so called pro sport.

You are also ignoring what happened in Switzerland where they ran this system in soccer which crowd wise is very similar to RL in the UK. Crowds dropped to around 7K a game. Sponsors did not want to be associated with two the two second tier competitions. They scrapped it and crowds went up 40%.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: sergeant pepper "It's not rocket science. We should have made some tough but necessary decisions about what i call no ambition clubs and then when we had a solid group of teams we should have implemented longer licensing & forced quotas of academy produced players onto clubs.

We should have closed SL up and kept the licensing system for a minimum of 10 years imo. Like the Grand Final or Magic Weekend it needed a prolonged period to really bed in and become the norm. How can you judge something in so little time? How do you know the long term impacts and benefits?

Going back to a hap hazard promotion and relegation system isn't good for anyone. In previous seasons with P&R in place all we saw was the yo-yoing of a couple of teams being promoted and then getting relegated the season straight after. Add into that the sides were jam packed with 2nd rate Aussies who once relegated signed for the promoted team the season after made it laughable.

You only have to look at the development of Widnes to see the positives of a having time to build without the threat of relegation hanging over you. In their first season they stayed loyal to the young lads who had been with them in the Championship. It let them properly evaluate which lads were good enough to make the step up in class. Do you really think anything like that would have happened if they had to fight relegation from day 1? They progressed in a slow and steady way in every 3 of the seasons of the licensing system.

We needed longer to let the stability that it offered sink into the league. Long term investment in youth without the fear of relegation is how you improve standards. Look at a club like Cas who have now got a settled and talented side.'"

Spot on. At least someone recognises that this new system is in reality the return of P&R with all the negatives.

I'll guarantee you won't see a promoted side doing as Widnes did. In fact I reckon Betts would have been replaced by a more experienced coach never mind half the team were the new system in place rather than being given time to develop as a coach and build a team as he has been.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3908
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: DaveO "Spot on. At least someone recognises that this new system is in reality the return of P&R with all the negatives.

I'll guarantee you won't see a promoted side doing as Widnes did. In fact I reckon Betts would have been replaced by a more experienced coach never mind half the team were the new system in place rather than being given time to develop as a coach and build a team as he has been.'"

I also forgot to mention how immunity from relegation helped stabilise Catalan as well. Like Wines they were allowed time to bed in at this level. They were given time to gamble with unknowns such as Bosc, Fakir, Elima etc. I can't for the life of me seeing any championship side doing the same with the threat of relegation looming. Its obvious that they will take short term strategy and live from season to season.

That short term thinking, for me, devalues the competition.

History is littered with the failures of P&R.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: Eastbourne Warrior "It is apparent you are not a fan. But then you seem to have a downer on most things.'"

You read what you want to read. You obviously ignore anything positive I write.

Quote: Eastbourne Warrior "At them moment we have a closed shop of 14 teams where the weekly rounds are largely insignificant as the top teams canter their way through the season doing 'just enough' to put themselves in a position to challenge in the play offs. The bottom teams have nothing to play for, for most of the season.'"

And you talk about me having a downer!

So why, with an even bigger league and a top eight playoff is the NRL so successful? That tells you it's not the format that is the problem.

TV companies are chucking money at a competition with a format you have dismissed. There are epic games during the season. Apparently this should never happen as they will all play the %'s and over here games like Saints-Wigan on Good Friday should not happen either.

The format is not the problem, in a nutshell, its the fact half the SL clubs here are not up to fielding strong teams. Altering the format won't change that.

Fix SL at 12 teams with no P&R (i.e. licensing again) and divide the £40m a year Sky money between them you end up with a £3.3m salary cap minimum. Possibly higher if as now the cap isn't expected to cover the entire wage bill.

Then you will attract the best players and have a realistic chance of actually having good players in all the sides. At the moment there aren't enough good players for a 14 team SL never mind a competition predicated on a 24 team basis.

Go for a 12 team SL funded like that and you will get intensity in the league and you will get it because if the clubs adopt the attitude they can coast into the playoffs not only will they risk not doing so they will also lose the paying customers. As I keep saying RL is not a computer game "RL manager" where all that matters is the points at the end of the season were deliberately putting out weak sides or trying to play the %'s affects no one but you playing the computer game.

Quote: Eastbourne Warrior "I was initially very sceptical of the new format. Having had time to think about it the idea has grown on me. Essentially there are weekly rounds of 23 games until the split when effectively the play offs start. The top 8 is no longer good enough, you have to aim for the top 4. The middle 8 are in a battle as to which league they play in the next season, I'll grant you the bottom 8 being relatively meaningless, effectively a best of the rest competition.
'"

The top eight is clearly good enough to get you into the top eight. Then you have to get into the top 4 but those outside the 8 will know their fate as quickly as those outside the top eight do now. Those in the top 8 may also know their fate pretty quickly if league points are carried over. The 7th and 8th placed sides may already have no chance of making the top four for example. This system does not solve the issue of teams with nothing to play for.

If the middle 8 is decided by the £1m game what precedes it is no more relevant for all but two teams as anything we have now. If it isn't decide don one game then it could all be decided pretty quickly. The bottom 8 is a waste of time for all concerned with eight teams waiting for next season already. I have also read one proposal for the middle 8 is all league points are wiped and they all start on zero. Well all that means if if you are not going to make the 8 if in the top 12 you may as well give up and rest players and ditto if you have secured a place in the middle 8 from the bottom 12.

I don't understand why people can't see there are really just as many anomalies if not more in the new system than the old closed shop.

Quote: Eastbourne Warrior "As fans the majority have complained about the lack of intensity throughout the season. The new format is intended to address this. I think it has the potential to be an exciting and interesting competition for most teams. What we need to address is the gulf in spending power between the top and second teer giving those looking for promotion a realistic chance of achieving it. I would look at one simple tweak and have a single salary cap for all clubs in both divisions with huge penalties for administration to discourage overspending.'"
'"
]

Well the fact of the matter is there isn't going to be an equal salary cap so it's no use arguing this format is good when you identify a major problem with it that isn't going to change.

Like or not we are stuck with £40m a season divided unevenly among 24 clubs with with the 12 SL sides on £1.825m. An even split would be £1.67m but I am sorry there is just no point in giving that sort of cash to some clubs. They aren't interested in it and have no ambition to be full time.

The way to address any lack of intensity is to equalise the standards of the teams but you can IMO only do that with quite a small number of teams. Not by spreading the money and talent as thinly as the new format requires.

You can't conjure up an intense league competition on a week by week basis if you don't have the players. If you do have them then you will get it regardless of format as the NRL shows.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1876No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28305.gif
:28305.gif

Quote: DaveO "You obviously ignore anything positive .'"

There's positive stuff icon_eek.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1002
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62118_1550845628.png
Everything [i:1c0rjla2]is [/i:1c0rjla2]Awesome:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62118.png

Quote: Eastbourne Warrior "I, along with most give the RFL a substantial amount of criticism but surely in the deal signed with sky there has to be a contracted number of games shown from the second teer during the weekly rounds combined with a selection of matches from each of the three groups after the split.'"

(don't call me Shirley)
You've actually obliquely hit on one of the problems with all thisis [/igoing on? We can all speculate & gripe as much as we want, but until washday comes nobody has a clue what will happen.

(or which one of us runs out of metaphors first)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5874No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13517.jpg
:13517.jpg

Quote: DaveO "It is a proposal from the RFL for the 4th and 5th teams to play off to decide who finishes 4th regardless of the points position. '"

This is the first I've heard of this proposal, do you have a link to an article or something confirming this?
As a Bulls fan you can probably see why I might take a bit more interest than most! icon_confused.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5443
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
788_1290880131.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_788.gif

Quote: Nothus "This is the first I've heard of this proposal, do you have a link to an article or something confirming this?
As a Bulls fan you can probably see why I might take a bit more interest than most! 3.521484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Smith out ASAP
Leeds_Luke
Recent
WHO IS NEXT
Once were Lo
Recent
This site is crap
ALAW
Recent
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
Recent
TV Games - Not Hull
bonaire
Recent
Batley Bulldogs H
Willzay
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Jayden Okunbor
bonaire
2m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Yellow G
2m
Toulouse A
Bull Mania
4m
Leeds
the-bearded-
4m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
5m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
6m
WHO IS NEXT
Once were Lo
6m
2025 Recruitment
herr rigsby
7m
Salford - Away
The games af
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Accountability
Gazzagiant2
TODAY
email
orangeman
TODAY
This site is crap
ALAW
TODAY
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Prettys Girls in your city for night
jackmac452
TODAY
Vegas Baby
Jason65
TODAY
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thriller
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights game v Giants
karetaker
TODAY
Free parking
Philth
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Start@1873
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
TODAY
Leeds
the-bearded-
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
walter wall
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Willzay
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,945 ↑6680,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
15:00
Salford
v
Hull FC
       Championship 2024-R14
Dewsbury
v
Doncaster
Featherstone
v
Whitehaven
Swinton
v
Widnes
Wakefield
v
Batley
York
v
Barrow
       League One 2024-R14
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Thu 11th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
10:50
Dolphins
v
Souths
 Fri 12th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Warrington
v
Leeds
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 Sat 13th Jul
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
WSL2024 7 LeedsW6-16St.HelensW
WSL2024 7 FeatherstoneW0-50WiganW
Fri 5th Jul
NRL 18 Cronulla16-20Gold Coast
NRL 18 Brisbane6-14Penrith
SL 16 St.Helens6-8Castleford
SL 16 Warrington48-0Huddersfield
SL 16 Wigan24-6Leigh
CH 14 Sheffield28-0Halifax
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Warrington 16 406 213 193 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 16 291 286 5 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10