FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Tomkins best player......
158 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Following on from last nights quiz regarding fullbacks me and Liam had a discussion this morning about Sam Tomkins. Had Chris Melling not tragically suffered that acl injury so early in his career would Sam have ever took that fullback spot? Melling was not only a great fullback in the making but was also a superb goalkicker and a very good captain and reader of the game, such a shame that we never got to see him progress. Mind you he also played centre for England academy, so who knows.'"

We'll never know, but I don't think Melling was destined for the 1 jersey. Ashton came through not long after, which I think would have spelled the end for Melling at Wigan given that we had cover in Colbon, Sean Gleeson and Goulding. Don't forget we were still fairly poor at converting youngsters into regular starters at the time Melling was coming through as well. Nearly all the youngsters we produced around that time ended up forging decent SL careers at other clubs. If he came through a few years later then maybe.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Grimmy "For sure. Sometimes it's hard not to fall into the trap of slating one player to make your case for another. I can remember a CC semi against Leeds and an international against Aus where he came unstuck and cost us points, but it certainly wasn't an every week kind of thing. For me it was more whether I preferred Radlinski or Williams/Lam in the 17. I think almost everyone agrees Tomkins would have to be in there, and I stand by his ability to play in the halves, he tore it up there in 09 and early 10.'"

That CC semi was a massive upset. Wigan had all the stars and were flying.
The very bad aspect of Tomkins came out, when he stopped playing mid action and starte chasing the ref, leaving a massive hole for Hardaker to stroll through...
I remember laughing at the time, looked so comical and amateur like....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Shabino "That CC semi was a massive upset. Wigan had all the stars and were flying.
The very bad aspect of Tomkins came out, when he stopped playing mid action and starte chasing the ref, leaving a massive hole for Hardaker to stroll through...
I remember laughing at the time, looked so comical and amateur like....'"

Yeah there was a season when he came back from NZ where he seemed to spend every game doing that, combined with wrapping himself around defenders looking for a penalty. I thought he was done, but the season after he screwed his head back on and played brilliantly again in his last season for us (albeit in more of a creative role) and has continued to do so for Catalans. He's a clear choice for England this time for me.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29681
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "Yeah there was a season when he came back from NZ where he seemed to spend every game doing that, combined with wrapping himself around defenders looking for a penalty. I thought he was done, but the season after he screwed his head back on and played brilliantly again in his last season for us (albeit in more of a creative role) and has continued to do so for Catalans. He's a clear choice for England this time for me.'"

I think he might actually be better suited to internationals now then he was at his blistering best. He looks to have worked so hard on his defence, his organisational skills and his play making. There’s very little space in internationals against the top sides and a lad who can blitz superleague defences with his individual running game won’t find it as easy to find space against the Aussies and Kiwis but if you’ve got a lad with the ability to be a play or two in front and work space for others than your chances improve.

He’s absolutely nailed on for the fullback shirt IMO. I’d personally have him in the conversations for the captaincy.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: NickyKiss "I think he might actually be better suited to internationals now then he was at his blistering best. He looks to have worked so hard on his defence, his organisational skills and his play making. There’s very little space in internationals against the top sides and a lad who can blitz superleague defences with his individual running game won’t find it as easy to find space against the Aussies and Kiwis but if you’ve got a lad with the ability to be a play or two in front and work space for others than your chances improve.

He’s absolutely nailed on for the fullback shirt IMO. I’d personally have him in the conversations for the captaincy.'"

Agreed. Except I'd have him in the halves now too icon_lol.gif not a massive fan of Lomax. In tough games against us I think he tends to spend a lot of time on the floor getting treated, then go missing. The aussies and kiwis often get nasty when they sense an upset, ask Long and Deacon who both got serious facial injuries in internationals we have won.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Grimmy "Yeah there was a season when he came back from NZ where he seemed to spend every game doing that, combined with wrapping himself around defenders looking for a penalty. I thought he was done, but the season after he screwed his head back on and played brilliantly again in his last season for us (albeit in more of a creative role) and has continued to do so for Catalans. He's a clear choice for England this time for me.'"

Agreed. Not even a discussion about fullback. He was back to his very best last year....

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29681
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "Agreed. Except I'd have him in the halves now too
I can’t think of anyone else I’d want at fullback tbh or I’d consider it. I think Lomax deserves a crack at six. He’s played a few games for England but they seem to have been at fullback or cameos off the bench. One issue I’ve got is that I think we need a top level goal kicker as well and a player to kick us around the field and I don’t think Lomax, Williams or Tomkins bring that. At the minute I’d probably go 1-Tomkins, 6-Lomax and 7-Gale and have George Williams covering the halves and hooker from the bench.

I’ve read a few people saying how poor the halfback options are at the moment but we’ve been in worse spots in the last 20-30 years. It’s tough to really judge it because we hardly play any internationals but the lads available are playing for top teams here and in Williams case, holding down a spot at one of the best teams in the NRL. It’s not all bad IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: NickyKiss "I can’t think of anyone else I’d want at fullback tbh or I’d consider it. I think Lomax deserves a crack at six. He’s played a few games for England but they seem to have been at fullback or cameos off the bench. One issue I’ve got is that I think we need a top level goal kicker as well and a player to kick us around the field and I don’t think Lomax, Williams or Tomkins bring that. At the minute I’d probably go 1-Tomkins, 6-Lomax and 7-Gale and have George Williams covering the halves and hooker from the bench.

I’ve read a few people saying how poor the halfback options are at the moment but we’ve been in worse spots in the last 20-30 years. It’s tough to really judge it because we hardly play any internationals but the lads available are playing for top teams here and in Williams case, holding down a spot at one of the best teams in the NRL. It’s not all bad IMO.'"

Just realised I totally forgot Gale. Dur. Disregard my last post. Tomkins at FB, Williams and Gale in the halves.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1341No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16487_1311752847.jpg
Wigan home of league:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16487.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "
Quote: Grimmy "I think he might actually be better suited to internationals now then he was at his blistering best. He looks to have worked so hard on his defence, his organisational skills and his play making. There’s very little space in internationals against the top sides and a lad who can blitz superleague defences with his individual running game won’t find it as easy to find space against the Aussies and Kiwis but if you’ve got a lad with the ability to be a play or two in front and work space for others than your chances improve.

He’s absolutely nailed on for the fullback shirt IMO. I’d personally have him in the conversations for the captaincy.'"

Agreed. Except I'd have him in the halves now too
I had a front row seat to the tackle on Deacon at Huddersfield, was one of the most blatant shots that I’ve seen, the damage nearly killed him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: stpatricks "I had a front row seat to the tackle on Deacon at Huddersfield, was one of the most blatant shots that I’ve seen, the damage nearly killed him.'"

That shot had nothing to do with Winning instinct. Was one of the worst things I've seen on a rugby field.
As bad as the assault on Ronan O 'Gara, which you can watch in graphic detail on YouTube

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4083_1711972570.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4083.jpeg

Quote: NickyKiss "Lockers was (feels terrible typing was) a great player and certainly top 10 and maybe even five material in my time but Hanley and Farrell were a level above. There’s no shame in that as both were probably the best players in the World at various times. Faz would’ve smashed it in the NRL. Lockers would as well but Faz could do pretty much everything Lockers could but was also an unbelievable ball runner and was more of an individual threat running the ball. Hanley was just a freak.'"

Spot on.

I think one thing that does tend to get overlooked a little with Faz is his goal kicking, to be able to play the way he did but also convert from our wide under pressure was outstanding, not forgetting his drop goal ability too.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1450
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1673_1436275874.jpg
Jamie Jones-Buchanan "I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire" And neither would any Lancastrian.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1673.jpg

Double post icon_surprised.gifops:

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1673_1436275874.jpg
Jamie Jones-Buchanan "I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire" And neither would any Lancastrian.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1673.jpg

Just scored a cracking try..

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31835
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Tomkins is certainly one of the best fullbacks I've seen at Wigan. Up there with Radlinski, Hampson and Henry Paul certainly. One name that hasn't been mentioned on here much is Joe Lydon who was superb at fullback. A real big game player who could turn a game on his own. He could score from anywhere on the pitch. Then there was his amazing kicking out of the hand not to mention drop goals (THAT semi final drop goal from 60m for instance).

I think if you could take aspects of all the players above you'd have the perfect fullback. Lydon's pace and big game mentality, Hampson's defence and freakish ability under the high kick, Henry Paul's unorthodox ball skills, Radlinski's support play up the middle and Tomkins ability to chime into the line and hit the gap or put someone else in.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1673_1436275874.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "Tomkins is certainly one of the best fullbacks I've seen at Wigan. Up there with Radlinski, Hampson and Henry Paul certainly. One name that hasn't been mentioned on here much is Joe Lydon who was superb at fullback. A real big game player who could turn a game on his own. He could score from anywhere on the pitch. Then there was his amazing kicking out of the hand not to mention drop goals (THAT semi final drop goal from 60m for instance).

I think if you could take aspects of all the players above you'd have the perfect fullback. Lydon's pace and big game mentality, Hampson's defence and freakish ability under the high kick, Henry Paul's unorthodox ball skills, Radlinski's support play up the middle and Tomkins ability to chime into the line and hit the gap or put someone else in.'"

Joe Lydon waa a cracker. Hope I'm not jinxing Tomkins for the rest of the game, Cats v Wakey but he's been imperious so far.

158 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
158 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.23681640625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
Recent
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
FORUM