JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27542_1296773722.jpg
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!! Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27542.jpg

Our Attack was better under Wane than Lam.

Want to see some set plays introduced this year

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain144No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think last season showed how much we missed Sam Tomkins. He did so much work off the ball in terms of organisation and talking to players that without him this season just gone, we looked lost. Also he was the man to come up with the match winning plays to get us the win like in some close games in 2018 (the drop goal v leeds from near the touch line springs to mind)

Don’t buy into the ‘our attack was better under wane’ as the only difference is that wane had a genuine match winner to get us out of trouble in games we never looked like winning.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29679
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

The attack was much the same for me but Wane didn’t ever make statements that his team would play rugby that would blow your socks off. At his original press conference Lam promised attacking and entertaining rugby, to the point where even Edwards joked he would buy a season ticket but aside from a fleeting glimpse of it around April time, we never really saw it. He was actually very conservative in his selections, leaving out attacking players like Escare and Greenwood on a regular basis.

No excuses next season. In terms of personnel, he has some unbelievable attacking talent at his disposal. If you can’t get a back line including French, Hardaker, Manfredi, Gildart and Hastings playing entertaining rugby on the back of a bigger pack and threats on the edge through Farrell and Greenwood, then you’ll struggle to do it with any side.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Our attack last season was as poor as I’ve seen for many years at Wigan, probably since 2006ish when we were in a dire mess.

This season it was highlighted further after Lam’s claim he’d improve our attack.

Lam has so much to improve in 2020. So far I’m not convinced in the slightest.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "Our attack last season was as poor as I’ve seen for many years at Wigan, probably since 2006ish when we were in a dire mess.

This season it was highlighted further after Lam’s claim he’d improve our attack.

Lam has so much to improve in 2020. So far I’m not convinced in the slightest.'"

I agree but there has been glimpses that for me show some promise. He simply has to deliver in 2020. The squad is there to compete and to challenge for trophies, and not wishing to paraphrase our current tool of a Prime Minister; no ifs, no buts and no excuses.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

This season will be the acid test for Lam. It was always going to be a difficult year last year, Wane leaving was a massive shift in culture, that alone would make things difficult, then all the other factors were added in, injuries, off field incidents etc.

Like some I saw glimpses of what the team was trying to do we just didn’t do it on a consistent basis.

This year has seen a significant change in playing personnel which should suit Lam’s style a bit more. I suspect we will see a slow start as players bed in and will hopefully pick up as the season goes on.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Trainman "This season will be the acid test for Lam. It was always going to be a difficult year last year, Wane leaving was a massive shift in culture, that alone would make things difficult, then all the other factors were added in, injuries, off field incidents etc.

Like some I saw glimpses of what the team was trying to do we just didn’t do it on a consistent basis.

This year has seen a significant change in playing personnel which should suit Lam’s style a bit more. I suspect we will see a slow start as players bed in and will hopefully pick up as the season goes on.'"

I would agree with that and it sounds strange to be critical with us finishing 2nd and getting within 80mins of a Grand Final but that to me papered over some blindingly obvious cracks in our defence and attack. Irrespective of off field issues and some injuries I think we should have been better.

I also suspect a slow start, as most teams have anyway. That being said I don’t expect a start like last year which was at times diabolical. I expect improvement week on week and around the June time is where Lam should be judged on the season(s) he’s been here.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think Lam inherited a very good team which was more than capable of winning and being competitive.
Edwards not coming etc was the best thing for Lam; it gave him a great excuse to use for when the team massively underperformed.

Look at it this way; if you’re a player who’s playing well and loving life under Lam you’d be ecstatic hearing Lam was staying on. No one on that team has any connection or relationship with Edwards; no one was effected by Edwards not arriving.
But that wasn’t the case. The fact is that we were playing poorly at times terrible in a very poor league which was even more highlighted with the void between Saints and the rest.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "I think Lam inherited a very good team which was more than capable of winning and being competitive.
Edwards not coming etc was the best thing for Lam; it gave him a great excuse to use for when the team massively underperformed.

Look at it this way; if you’re a player who’s playing well and loving life under Lam you’d be ecstatic hearing Lam was staying on. No one on that team has any connection or relationship with Edwards; no one was effected by Edwards not arriving.
But that wasn’t the case. The fact is that we were playing poorly at times terrible in a very poor league which was even more highlighted with the void between Saints and the rest.'"

Correct. Thinking back whilst contributing to the team of the decade thread reminded me that a lot of the players I picked hit their peak around Maguires arrival in 2010. It can't have been a coincidence that so many of them hit career-best form when no one had been signed. Who can we say hit career-best form under Lam? Maybe Powell and some of the youngsters who you would naturally expect to improve with gametime. All established players apart from Powell were either the same or regressed, even Williams who Lam set his stall out right from the offset to improve.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1911
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20178 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75893_1553638551.jpg
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75893.jpg

If today's players are far more fitter and athletic then why do they need more substitutions than the less fitter players of yesteryear

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Whiffy Kipper "If today's players are far more fitter and athletic then why do they need more substitutions than the less fitter players of yesteryear'"

Simple really;

They’re fitter and athletic to cope with the physical demands of the more intense, speedy and athletic game than in the 90’s. That increase in intensity and fitness demands means an increase in substitutions must follow.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51052_1304440802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51052.jpg

Quote: 100% Warrior "Simple really;

They’re fitter and athletic to cope with the physical demands of the more intense, speedy and athletic game than in the 90’s. That increase in intensity and fitness demands means an increase in substitutions must follow.'"

I disagree, still 6 tackles, drives tackles etc, 10 metres, I think they manage their time wrong and go 100 percent at everything when its not needed like the wrestle in the tackle. In the 80 and 90's they hot them low and they hit them right so wasnt time to offload as much.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1832No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15723.gif
:15723.gif

Quote: The Whiffy Kipper "If today's players are far more fitter and athletic then why do they need more substitutions than the less fitter players of yesteryear'"

They don't need it. The fact is they're fitter, bigger, stronger, plus there's more subs. There's always fresh bodies with much better conditioning. Combine that with the fact the game is all full time, with all kinds of defence coaches, this is why there are far less gaps now. The game isn't what it was in the 90s, simply adopting a few runaround and drop offs and players running from deep isn't going revolutionise anything.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Last Son of Wigan "I think Lam inherited a very good team which was more than capable of winning and being competitive.

I agree with this. However, I’d also ask how many times in the first 6 months of the season did he get to pick from a full strength squad? He didn’t and as I’ve said many times, injuries are not an excuse but do offer some mitigation. Once we got somewhere near our 1st team on the pitch, we went on an excellent run of winning games.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pieman "I disagree, still 6 tackles, drives tackles etc, 10 metres, I think they manage their time wrong and go 100 percent at everything when its not needed like the wrestle in the tackle. In the 80 and 90's they hot them low and they hit them right so wasnt time to offload as much.'"

It is the same game in essence only and I disagree with your whole point. The game has evolved from 80’s/90’s/00’s - like all sports have. Our players are all full time (in SL and NRL anyway) which means they’re training anywhere from 6-8 times a week, possibly more. That means fitness levels will naturally increase in both cardiovascular and muscular fitness. That in its own evolved the game from a “few pints and pick of smokes after a game” to diet control and fitness control to try and ensure that when the 17 takes the field they are doing so in prime physical condition.

Moving away from fitness, the other side effect of training as often as they do is that tackle technique and offensive drills are developed into more complex and skilful aspects of the game. The tackle wrestle you rightly refer to has bits from RU and wrestling and is designed to slow down the oppositions play by controlling the ruck. Control the ruck, you control the speed of the game. Control the speed of the game and you put yourself in a position that it’s very difficult to be beaten. It may look simple but I assure you it’s far deeper that a tackle technique.

I get the yearning for yesteryear. Nostalgia is a fantastic feeling but the game has changed and moved on from 30/40yrs ago. If the sport wants to move forward globally and nationally we need to look forward, not look back constantly saying “back in my day” or words to that effect.

117 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
117 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0703125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
CobraCraig
5m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
13m