Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5845-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
:icons077e_files/5845-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Quote: MatautiaVila "As a Saints fan who's seen a fair bit of Wigans younger players it is Hampshire that is the pick alongside Burgess.
The forwards will take longer to make their way through although I've been surprised by how well Sutton has held his own on occasion. Credit to him for doing that.
Wigan could put any of the younger forwards in for a spell off the bench and they'd all be ok if, and it's a big if, they had 3 big quality yard making props to rely on.
Flower will make a difference and Mossop needs an injury free run. It's up to the others to back these two up because the back row is way too small to bully teams.
I think Wigan will struggle in the short term but when Flower and SO'L return they'll get parity with most up front and then the halves will have a chance of playing with some field position consistently.
We'll find out then if Smith, Williams, Powell or Hampshire deserve a shirt.
On a side note I think if there was a tea lady at the DW called Farrell or Tomkins she'd be in the 17 on current form.'"

Joel Tomkins has been tearing it up this season.

One bad game doesn't change that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4748
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

Quote: Stevo's bald dome "Likewise. I thought Manfredi was one of the few standout players we had on Friday.'"

In the face of all this support for him, perhaps I should reconsider! He's certainly been enthusiastic; I remember that chase back to make the try-saving tackle with Bateman against Cas (?), when Bowen CBA. But I seem to recall a few dropped passes too, and he was responsible for the (very unnecessary) penalty which led to Burrow's try.

If the Cas and Leeds games were a better watch, I'd see them again to re-check his performances. But I'm sure Wigan fans can understand, I don't have much enthusiasm to do that. icon_biggrin.gif

What I am sure about is that a few dropped passes by wingers are far from being Wigan's biggest problem at the moment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: moto748 "In the face of all this support for him, perhaps I should reconsider! He's certainly been enthusiastic; I remember that chase back to make the try-saving tackle with Bateman against Cas (?), when Bowen CBA. But I seem to recall a few dropped passes too, and he was responsible for the (very unnecessary) penalty which led to Burrow's try.

If the Cas and Leeds games were a better watch, I'd see them again to re-check his performances. But I'm sure Wigan fans can understand, I don't have much enthusiasm to do that. Smith gave away that penalty I thought?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: moto748 "Truth is, for all the criticism of Burgess, Manfredi hasn't exactly seized the opportunities he's had this season with both hands, has he?
Hasn't had a pass to seize with both hands either!

RankPostsTeam
International Star4748
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73327_1685730441.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73327.jpg

That's true!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

I'd go:

FB 20 Hampshire
RW 22 Manfredi
RC 3 Gelling
LC 4 Sarginson
LW 5 Burgess
SO 6 Williams
SH 7 Smith
P 17 Clubb
H 23 Logan
P 23 Mossop
SR 14 Bateman
SR 31 Connor
LF 9 McIlorum

S 11 Joel
S 12 Liam
S 24 Tautai
S 28 Sutton

I don’t think Bowen is anywhere near as bad as people are making out but realistically Hampshire needs to be playing FB against the likes of Wakefield now if he is to take over the position full time next season. Plus if he can be safe defensively he would be the better option anyway.

McIlorum brings experience and a bit of direction to the side. I don't really think we can afford him off the pitch at any point whilst Lockers is injured. Having said that Logan is outplaying him at hooker currently so putting him in at loose makes sense to me. He did a good job there last year in the same circumstances.

Liam Farrell and Joel Tomkins being benched may well give them the kick up the backside they need, 11 penalties from Joel and 8 by Liam within 6 games is shocking. Bateman is an aggressive player doing pretty much the same job and has given away 4 in the same time. Connor Farrell has impressed me in all his opportunities so far this year so I think he would do us a good job there. I think having an extra back rower on the bench might just keep us a bit fresher, hopefully mitigating the chances of us running out of juice in the second half as we have been doing.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1084No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4745-863FALH-msnicons.jpg
:icons3ae4_files/4745-863FALH-msnicons.jpg

According to shaun wane both hampshire and tierney need to up their game if they want to play in the 1st team

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach555
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If that is a true comment by Wane about Hampshire, it beggars belief - yet again. Maybe if he had picked him at 6 rather than trying to turn him into a Sam MK 2 fullback, he might see a different player. And Wigan did win the only game (against Huddersfield) that Rocky started at 6, even though he was only drafted in 10 minutes before the kick off.

In all honesty, it is maybe the coaching staff and IL and Rads if they are in charge of recruitment who need to up their game!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Grimmy's team is ok for me apart from the back row.
Connor, Bateman & MicM is far too small for my liking.

I'd try and "go big" with Clubb, Logan, Mossop, Joel, Gelling & Patrick as the pack.
They are big, fast and skillful. I'd put Bateman left centre and Sargy right centre, With Rocky as FB.

Waney's comments about Hampshire are odd.
Which super star who is on top of his game is keeping Hampshire out of the team, may I ask?
Hampshire started one game at 6 and we won it.
What more do they want from a 6?

It's the pack that needs sorting, 3 4 & 5 carries from three of our props in an entire game is utterly dreadful. That needs sorting. If it isn't and we give Saints the freedom Cuthbertson and Peacock were given then Saints could run riot.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7559
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hampshire has 1 more assist than Smith this season despite playing 4 less games......

But yeah Smith is doing "just enough" no doubt.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Father Ted "Grimmy's team is ok for me apart from the back row.

I'd try and "go big" with Clubb, Logan, Mossop, Joel, Gelling & Patrick as the pack.
They are big, fast and skillful. I'd put Bateman left centre and Sargy right centre, With Rocky as FB.

Which super star who is on top of his game is keeping Hampshire out of the team, may I ask?

It's the pack that needs sorting, 3 4 & 5 carries from three of our props in an entire game is utterly dreadful. That needs sorting. If it isn't and we give Saints the freedom Cuthbertson and Peacock were given then Saints could run riot.'"

Because Wane has his knife into Hampshire for daring to suggest that he would be more comfortable playing halfback.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1831No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's difficult to know for sure where the problem lies without seeing what goes on in training.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach555
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Big Steve "It's difficult to know for sure where the problem lies without seeing what goes on in training.'"

Maybe Wane is not impressed with Hampshire's wrestling technique......

RankPostsTeam
International Star1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Father Ted "Grimmy's team is ok for me apart from the back row.

It's the pack that needs sorting, 3 4 & 5 carries from three of our props in an entire game is utterly dreadful. That needs sorting. If it isn't and we give Saints the freedom Cuthbertson and Peacock were given then Saints could run riot.'"

It has been tried a couple of times having M Mac at loose forward, therefore if we are thinking outside the box why not give the following a chance.

Until Sol comes back I would play Liam Farrell at loose forward, fans may say that he is not creative enough, but neither is M Mac
One thing Farrell has is a good engine and he will tackle all day, as well he runs good lines and if the halfbacks can pick these lines he would cover both sides of the pitch.
In Farrell's place in the second row I would have Gelling, with him running the left channel and Joel on the right, to my eyes this would give us added weight in the second row.
To take Gelling's place in the centre why not play Bateman, in the past he has shown promise in the position.
Drastic measures I know, but it may just freshen (or shake up) a few players.

RankPostsTeam
International Star32No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2016Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: stillinthepast "It has been tried a couple of times having M Mac at loose forward, therefore if we are thinking outside the box why not give the following a chance.

Until Sol comes back I would play Liam Farrell at loose forward, fans may say that he is not creative enough, but neither is M Mac
One thing Farrell has is a good engine and he will tackle all day, as well he runs good lines and if the halfbacks can pick these lines he would cover both sides of the pitch.
In Farrell's place in the second row I would have Gelling, with him running the left channel and Joel on the right, to my eyes this would give us added weight in the second row.
To take Gelling's place in the centre why not play Bateman, in the past he has shown promise in the position.
Drastic measures I know, but it may just freshen (or shake up) a few players.'"

Sounds a good idea but, given Farrell's less than stellar form, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him ride the bench for a week or 2. MMc showed up well last year at loose (I seem to remember him having a stormer there against Hull but I may just be imagining things) and if not him then I would look to add a little size through playing a 3rd prop.

Patrick has been mentioned but his form is poor;
Flower would be ideal but that isn't happening any time soon;
Clubb would be effective but the long minutes may affect his game;
Tautai is a maybe but I think his powerful running could be better utilised out wider in a 2nd row position;
Greenwood is young, pretty unproven, and seemingly not one of Wane's favorites but probably my choice (I'm just eager to see him play);
Sutton would be a great option but we run the risk of overplaying him at his young age.

42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
42 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.28955078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Betting 2024
karetaker
3m
TV Games - Not Hull
boardwalkemp
3m