Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

Quote: DaveO "So what? We are constantly told this is a job to the players not a vocation to justify letting them go for higher wages and if so they have to accept the club must view any transfer requests in the same business context. It's simply business and if as Cruncher said setting a high fee that reflects the players value to Wigan sets precedent then one disgruntled player is a price worth paying if that means when Andy Clarke and Co try and manufacture another move out of nothing the players know from the start it is not a forgone conclusion they will be allowed to leave for peanuts. They won't have the expectation they will be allowed to do so without what the club considers adequate compensation.

And no one suggested stupid fees such as £3m either but a fee that sets a fair value on all the things Cruncher mentioned. If the club can justify the fee it sets (which they could not if they asked for £3m) then the player will be able to see why the club values them as they do and he should blame the Union club for not wanting to pay the fee if they walk away, not Wigan for setting it.

No they don't. Are you seriously suggesting if Saracens offered say £50K and no more Wigan would wave goodbye? I think not.'"

First of all
Quote: DaveO "If we say £3million for Joel instead of £250,000 would it not put off Union clubs in future? '"

Someone did suggest £3m.

What I'm saying is that if a player has a chance to triple/quadruple whatever their current wage is and the club blocks it by setting a fee that is too expensive then you are going to have a very unhappy player. It's not football where they are all set up for life anyway, this is literally life changing money to a RL player.

If a club comes in with a reasonable offer of a transfer fee (which around 250k would be imo) and the player decides they want to go, then there is little the RL club can do. Im not sure why you add that bit about 50k at the end because I never said anything like that?

RankPostsTeam
International Star313No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2019May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51928_1315743468.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51928.jpg

£3million was just a random high number I thought I would put out there, I know that is impossible but what I mean is that Rugby League clubs should be aiming for high figures when it comes to compensation, it is a business and if some of the players end up being valued higher then surely there has to be changes to the cap system. However it's The RFL so probably not.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "First of all
Someone did suggest £3m.

What I'm saying is that if a player has a chance to triple/quadruple whatever their current wage is and the club blocks it by setting a fee that is too expensive then you are going to have a very unhappy player. It's not football where they are all set up for life anyway, this is literally life changing money to a RL player.

If a club comes in with a reasonable offer of a transfer fee (which around 250k would be imo) and the player decides they want to go, then there is little the RL club can do. Im not sure why you add that bit about 50k at the end because I never said anything like that?'"

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on what constitutes a reasonable fee. Considering Wigan's time, effort and investment, the damage to the club, the ongoing damage to the game, and then the remainder of Joel's contract which will need to be bought out in addition to everything lese, I still think that £400K would be a good start-point.

But I honestly don't care about this unhappy player lark. If we're ever to finally draw a line in the sand on this matter, there's going to be at least one unhappy player - it may as well be Joel, given that he's the first loss I think we will really, really feel.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "First of all
Someone did suggest £3m.'"

Sorry didn't see that but I certainly was not thinking along those terms. That would obviously be a nonsense figure. Setting a proper fee however (and the £400K suggestion seems reasonable to me) is not.

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "What I'm saying is that if a player has a chance to triple/quadruple whatever their current wage is and the club blocks it by setting a fee that is too expensive then you are going to have a very unhappy player. It's not football where they are all set up for life anyway, this is literally life changing money to a RL player.
'"

I am sorry but that is irrelevant. If an agent goes to a player and says I can get you triple wages by getting you an RU gig without first seeing if the transfer is feasible the player has no right to feel hard done to by his club if they set a reasonable fee on his move if the RU side won't pay it. The agent has offered something he could not deliver.

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "If a club comes in with a reasonable offer of a transfer fee (which around 250k would be imo) and the player decides they want to go, then there is little the RL club can do. Im not sure why you add that bit about 50k at the end because I never said anything like that?'"

I mentioned £50K because you said "At the minute, unless the player says NO, then the RL club has to roll over and wave goodbye." and if that is the case then Union can offer £50K because you seem to think because the player has been offered a high wage that is the end of it. Quite frankly if it is inevitable why would the union side pay [ianything[/i?

So let me ask you. If the Union club offered a fee unacceptable to Wigan (however much that might be) what should Wigan do?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg

Quote: Cruncher "We're just going to have to agree to disagree on what constitutes a reasonable fee. Considering Wigan's time, effort and investment, the damage to the club, the ongoing damage to the game, and then the remainder of Joel's contract which will need to be bought out in addition to everything lese, I still think that £400K would be a good start-point.

But I honestly don't care about this unhappy player lark. If we're ever to finally draw a line in the sand on this matter, there's going to be at least one unhappy player - it may as well be Joel, given that he's the first loss I think we will really, really feel.'"

I would have thought 400k+ was perfectly reasonable, especially only 1 year in to a 5 year deal. But I just couldnt see Wigan turning down 250k.

The problem with a player being "unhappy" in this situation is they could become uninterested and their game gets affected, to a point where there was no point keeping them anyway, with the added insult that the club isnt financially rewarded.

In my honest opinion, and it has been said time and time again for a fair few years now, clubs should be rewarded for promoting youngsters in to their first team by implementing a system whereby only a certain % of their wages count towards the salary cap.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg

Quote: DaveO "Sorry didn't see that but I certainly was not thinking along those terms. That would obviously be a nonsense figure. Setting a proper fee however (and the £400K suggestion seems reasonable to me) is not.

I am sorry but that is irrelevant. If an agent goes to a player and says I can get you triple wages by getting you an RU gig without first seeing if the transfer is feasible the player has no right to feel hard done to by his club if they set a reasonable fee on his move if the RU side won't pay it. The agent has offered something he could not deliver.

I mentioned £50K because you said "At the minute, unless the player says NO, then the RL club has to roll over and wave goodbye." and if that is the case then Union can offer £50K because you seem to think because the player has been offered a high wage that is the end of it. Quite frankly if it is inevitable why would the union side pay [ianything[/i?

So let me ask you. If the Union club offered a fee unacceptable to Wigan (however much that might be) what should Wigan do?'"

Sorry few crossed wires I think, (Im gonna blame the time icon_lol.gif)

In the situation you mention there then obviously Wigan tell the RU/NRL/whatever club to get stuffed. But in this particular example of Joel moving to Saracens it appears though the clubs are attempting to negotiate a transfer fee which both parties will be "happy" with.

I would imagine if a player was told by an agent I can triple your current wages, then the union club offered a stupidly low amount, then the player may be a little pee'd off but would probably understand why the RL turned it down.

I would also imagine a RU club wouldnt come in for one of our stars without knowing that they were going to have to pay a decent fee, especially for contracted international players in their mid 20s. I still stand by my point that if a union club is interested and the player wants to go then the RL club dont gain anything by digging their heels in and will eventually end up letting the player go.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "Sorry few crossed wires I think, (Im gonna blame the time icon_rolleyes.gif ) have left our sport in a weak condition and with a very uncertain future. Thanks a lot. icon_twisted.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "DeanO, are you suggesting that players of Tomkins' 'calibre' are ten a penny? I would have thought that if you look around SL, the number of quality British centres is very low indeed. There are a number with potential, but as of today the best SL can come up with is Yeaman and Shenton (if fit). Joel would have been in the squad (and possibly team) if he hadn't pulled out. It's hardly a buyers' market.

I also agree with those saying that its about time RL clubs started sticking up for themselves with respect to these deals. I'm of the view that whilst Saracens would undoubtedly be able to force a transfer in breach of Tomkins' contract if they went to court (and Wigan may get less than hoped in compensation), they too wouldn't like the implications.

Imagine a (highly improbable) scenario where a crazed Russian tycoon decided to invest in Quins (I said improbable!). I suspect the RFL would quickly decide that things such as transfer fees were irrelevant, and that RU internationals could be exmpted from the Cap so long as the club involved had the money. In such a world, Saracens would be absolutely unable to prevent said Russian loon from looting their entire squad for peanuts, as they themselves had set the precedent that contracts betwen sporting clubs and professional players are basically worthless if the player wants out.

OTOH I wouldn't underestimate a court's willingness to treat reasonably highly-paid sports stars somewhat differently to your average punter. Chris Caisley (a lawyer of all things) seriously misread the ability to enforce employment contracts with respect to I Harris. I'm not saying the issue is the same but Caisley obviously thought the court would see the 'deal' between Harris and Leeds as restraint of trade and ignore it. They didn't and it cost a lot more than Leeds would have settled for before the case went to court (not to mention costs).

Finally, I'd also add that its also about sending messages to players as well. Wigan gave Joel a very long contract. Regardless of the level of pay, they offered him years of job security. In return Wigan wouldn't need to look for a player in his position for the duration of the contract. I also assume that if he really kicked on Wigan would - as every other club - have been open to renegotiating. Players need to understand that long-term deals aren't offered lightly - clubs are taking a big risk themselves. What if Joel's form goes down the toilet during the contract? I'm sure he wouldn't be arguing that 'its just a job and it'd be OK if Wigan fired me'.

Apologies for the rant but I've seen Leeds lose a couple of players to the dark side, and I don't buy the argument that players leaving RL is OK. Its not, it hurts the sport I follow a lot.'"

I also don't buy the argument that players leaving RL is OK!

As for Joel's worth, it's going to be difficult for Wigan's barrister to stand up before a high court judge to argue that a player who is only paid £80k p.a. is "worth" say £500k in terms of lost income to the club and costs of replacement!

Joel is a special talent, but in RL special talent doesn't equate to expensive staff cost (because of the SC).

I'm afraid that while the SC works to help short-sighted club owners clamp down on the pay of playing staff, it doesn't help them as employers claiming damages from their (relatively) poorly paid playing employees. They can't have their cake and eat it - if players like Joel don't cost much they can't argue they are "worth" a great deal. If club owners did try to run that argument then that could be very dangerous for them; the club owners might find the SC coming under rather closer legal scrutiny that they would wish. It's far from clear that the SC in its current form would be upheld by a court as a lawful restraint of trade. (The NZ courts allowed the NZRU cap in a restraint of trade case, but subjected it to strict conditions; I imagine a British court would approach it in a similar way and would be unimpressed by the fact that the SC has not risen in line with inflation and that only a small number of big clubs have won the SL, which makes the SC look like a device to reduce player pay rather than something for the good of the game.)

138 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
138 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.009765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
20m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
26m
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
27m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
28m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
28m
Rumours thread
vastman
52m
Film game
karetaker
55m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
Recent
Best Semi
Fourpointtry
Recent
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
53s
Call for funds
Tony Fax
54s
Planning for next season
Jack Gaskell
1m
Lower Crease
2m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
2m
Whitehaven Away
the fax in a
2m
Film game
karetaker
2m
Squad 2024
faxcar
2m
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
2m
tad rhino
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Fourpointtry
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Lower Crease
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,066 ↓-4680,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22