Player Coach15445
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: hatty "Depending on how he’s gone in training I’d give Manfredi a run at sub, just give him 15 mins or so. Then play him for half a game against Leigh to slowly ease him back into it.'"

He's doubtful for the Warrington game according to an interview I saw with Lam, so we won't see him in any of the friendlies

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain5No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hardaker
Marshall
Hank
Bibby
J.Burgess
French
Hastings
Flower
Powell
G.Burgess
Greenwood
Faz
Smithies

Lockers
Clark
Tommy
Partington

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2957
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hardaker
Marshall
Hankinson
Bibby
Burgess
French
Hastings
Burgess
Powell
Flower
Farrell
Greenwood
O'Loughlin

Leuluai
Bullock
Clark
Smithies/Isa

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: hengirl "Trouble is for me at least Hardaker is a flat average centre but an excellent fullback, the best for my money at least in SL so other than for injuries move him?'"

I know where you're coming from but I don't think he's been afforded the opportunities at centre that he has at fullback, at least at this level. He played centre in all his games at Fev I believe and was signed by Leeds on the strength of them. Many fullbacks started in different positions and often return to them with great success. He was also given the nod at international level over Percival so he must have the tools.

I think it's more a case of what's best for the team though. I don't think keeping an individual in his preferred position (if indeed it still is his preferred position) at the expense of team balance is the right way forward. The absence of Gilly swings that in favour of Zak to centres for mine. When everyone is fit I still would like to see what the French/Hastings combination looks like. If it clicks it could be devastating.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "I know where you're coming from but I don't think he's been afforded the opportunities at centre that he has at fullback, at least at this level. He played centre in all his games at Fev I believe and was signed by Leeds on the strength of them. Many fullbacks started in different positions and often return to them with great success. He was also given the nod at international level over Percival so he must have the tools.

I think it's more a case of what's best for the team though. I don't think keeping an individual in his preferred position (if indeed it still is his preferred position) at the expense of team balance is the right way forward. The absence of Gilly swings that in favour of Zak to centres for mine. When everyone is fit I still would like to see what the French/Hastings combination looks like. If it clicks it could be devastating.'"

For me Hank comes in for Gilly rather than Zak and Bibby in the other centre. Otherwise what was the point in signing Bibby? French and Hastings HB, Tommy bench 9.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: 100% Warrior "For me Hank comes in for Gilly rather than Zak and Bibby in the other centre. Otherwise what was the point in signing Bibby? French and Hastings HB, Tommy bench 9.'"

I always saw Bibby's signing more as a 'competition for places' one rather than him being signed to be a first team starter. Not dissimilar to Hank in fact. I'm not sure I, or many others, would have been happy going into the season with a first choice centre pairing of Hank and Bibby so I don't really see the argument for going into the first game with that partnership if we potentially have a better one available. Obviously, only the coaching staff will know at this stage who is looking good but the choice seems to be an international centre or one of 2 'squad' players (no insult meant to either of the two). Seems to be a no brainer to me.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29625
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Bibby was one of the form centres in the comp in the last couple of months of the season. I’d certainly be looking to play him against Wire to try and continue that momentum. It helps him that he’s a natural left centre also, compared to Hardaker or Hankinson, who’d both want to play on the right.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "I always saw Bibby's signing more as a 'competition for places' one rather than him being signed to be a first team starter. Not dissimilar to Hank in fact. I'm not sure I, or many others, would have been happy going into the season with a first choice centre pairing of Hank and Bibby so I don't really see the argument for going into the first game with that partnership if we potentially have a better one available. Obviously, only the coaching staff will know at this stage who is looking good but the choice seems to be an international centre or one of 2 'squad' players (no insult meant to either of the two). Seems to be a no brainer to me.'"

I see your point but I put back that Hank was given the 3 shirt for 2020, indicates to me that AL sees him as a starter rather than a squad player. Throw in NK’s point that Bibby was one of the in form centres at the back end of last season and for me their not squad players. Personally I think it’ll be him and Bibby battling it out for that left centre spot and if that’s the case AL is as well starting them in the centres for the opener.

All will become clear in the coming friendlies and we can start debating the team set up and tactics!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1227
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Phuzzy "I know where you're coming from but I don't think he's been afforded the opportunities at centre that he has at fullback, at least at this level. He played centre in all his games at Fev I believe and was signed by Leeds on the strength of them. Many fullbacks started in different positions and often return to them with great success. He was also given the nod at international level over Percival so he must have the tools.

I think it's more a case of what's best for the team though. I don't think keeping an individual in his preferred position (if indeed it still is his preferred position) at the expense of team balance is the right way forward. The absence of Gilly swings that in favour of Zak to centres for mine. When everyone is fit I still would like to see what the French/Hastings combination looks like. If it clicks it could be devastating.'"

I think at some point Hankinson has to be given a bit of a run in the centres,hes been at the club long enough now its time to find out if he's got what it takes and as for Bibby he was in fine fettle as last season wound down I think he will be in contention even allowing for injuries if his form carries on then he does look a fine player.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1081
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2022Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Joe Burgess should be made to sit out until theres an injury. He was terrible for the most part of last season. He thinks he is better than he is and needs a reality check.

Pick Hankinson and Bibby before him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29625
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

We will start the season with two fully fit wingers by the looks of things if they feel Manfredi isn’t quite right, so Burgess will play but he needs to start well to keep his place in the weeks after Warrington IMO because I agree that his form last year wasn’t good enough in the main (although he weirdly played pretty well in the last couple of games whilst the team struggled).

In my mind Marshall has far more credit in the bank and when fit Manfredi plays for me, so Burgess needs to come out flying. I think he will tbh, he’s a player who needs that competition and as sad as it is needing it to get yourself going, I think the fact he only has a 12 month deal and he’ll be wanting to put himself in the NRL shop window (if he’s good enough is another matter but that’s where you feel he wants to be) or in a position to get a contract here will get him going. It did last year until the one year extension was signed.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Burgess’ problem is that his eyes are firmly back on another NRL attempt. His focus should be the here and now. He plays well enough for Wigan, earns an England call up and plays well there his chance will come. The more he sets his eyes on the NRL the more he damages his chance and more importantly his reputation as a good winger.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1081
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2022Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: 100% Warrior "Burgess’ problem is that his eyes are firmly back on another NRL attempt. His focus should be the here and now. He plays well enough for Wigan, earns an England call up and plays well there his chance will come. The more he sets his eyes on the NRL the more he damages his chance and more importantly his reputation as a good winger.'"

It wont happen. He has lost the speed that made him such a great winger at a young age.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain896No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The_Enforcer "It wont happen. He has lost the speed that made him such a great winger at a young age.'"

Agree, he also isn't physically strong enough to make it as a regular winger in the NRL. They are built like fast second rowers. He needs to drop this dream of the NRL and concentrate on his rugby or he could find himself at Barrow or somewhere like that. Only takes one more injury to completely deplete his pace. Remember Chris Riley at Warrington. Ok not a brilliant player but a brilliant try scorer and a guaranteed starter in that superb Wire side. A couple of injuries and he retired at Rochdale.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The_Enforcer "It wont happen. He has lost the speed that made him such a great winger at a young age.'"

I wouldn’t consider it likely either and I do agree he’s lost a yard of pace too. I hope he proves you and others wrong (that’s not having a pop at you btw) and absolutely smashes 2020. I think he has the capability to do so it’s just up to him now to realise it

25 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
25 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.05615234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours and signings v9
CobraCraig
26m
TV Games - Not Hull
Large Paws
36m