JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41943_1280660400.jpg
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple? "unless you hit it directly at Paul Wellens, it's several minutes before he'll arrive at the ball." Saddened "I'm done. Brown out. If LMS, Turner or Walker get in any match day squad i will not be attending from now on in." LFC Saint:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41943.jpg

This has been suggested for some time and it now looks like something is developing.

rlhttp://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/rugby-league/7159762/?rl

The New Zealand Warriors are a step closer to formalising a partnership with Wigan after a successful fact-finding mission to the United Kingdom by recruitment boss Dean Bell.

The Wigan Warriors legend and also the inaugural New Zealand Warriors captain, Bell, who now heads the recruitment strategy for the Auckland-based club, recently met with officials from the English Super League's top clubs, leading player agents and attended a number of matches.

The purpose was not to scout potential signings for the 2013 season, but rather to help the Warriors build closer relationships in that part of the world.

Officials from Wigan shared those sentiments and expressed to Bell, one of 10 players in their hall of fame, an interest in forming a partnership.

"Wigan are very keen to set up some kind of partnership with us. That's maybe something we will be able to look at doing in the future," Bell said.

"We are yet to get to the final detail.

"But we might be talking about the sharing of ideas, not only by the football staff, but also marketing, sales and membership ideas.

"I did bring back some information after meeting some of the people at the top clubs in relation to that kind of thing."

Like many Super League clubs, Wigan already boast strong ties with New Zealand. A spate of New Zealanders have worn the cherry-and-white jersey with distinction and three Kiwis, Graham Lowe, Frank Endacott and Graeme West, have coached the club.

If talks progress, there is the prospect of a regular pre-season game between the Warriors and Wigan.

"Until their season changes – and it is something they are talking about – it's probably going to be a little bit impossible at the moment," Bell said.

"They're due to start their 2013 season a month before us and for any opportunity for a pre-season game right now, we'd be looking at the first or second week of January to fit it in.

"That's not going to happen.

"But I know they are talking about moving the start of their season – until it happens, it's going to be difficult."

Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah acknowledged his club's desire to establish a stronger foothold in that part of the world.

"We are a long way off confirming any potential benefits that will flow from it. But the fact that we've made closer contact with some of the Super League clubs is going to be beneficial," Scurrah said.

"Wigan and Leeds were the main clubs that he [Bell] had detailed conversations with.

"We could share IP (intellectual property) with them – things like training data and commercial activities. It's about the sharing of ideas."

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Sorry to be negative, but I actually suspect that it's more about NZ Warriors trying to pinch our best players.

When Bell first arrived over here, we heard several press statements that he was coming to cast a rule over British players. But now, all of a sudden, he came to talk about sharing 'IP property'?

I wish I believed that.

If we go into a of deal with the any NRL club, I hope we do it with eyes wide open, and try to ensure that for every one of ours who goes over there, we get one back as part of some kind of exchange deal.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Not so sure about this with the NRL cap going up.

I know we have a chance to take a closer look at their young players but they can do the same with us. What if Sam Tomkins had gone to NZ before 2009?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Odem "Not so sure about this with the NRL cap going up.

I know we have a chance to take a closer look at their young players but they can do the same with us. What if Sam Tomkins had gone to NZ before 2009?'"

And it's not as if Dean Bell has a clean sheet in this regard. Both he and Frank Endacott have form for trying to take Wigan players away.

RankPostsTeam
International Star484No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

'"

what im thinking is maybe the club see this as the only realistic way to attract nrl players with cap going up, like cruncher said in a swap type of deal. its highly unlikely wed be able to sign anyone worth having with alot less money and no inroads.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20255No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

I actually think this is a great idea.

In regards to taking players it is going to happen like it or not if the player wants to test themselves in the NRL. If they do wish to go they may as well go to a club we have a partnership with so we can keep links with them.

Also it may very well work the other way, the junior Kiwi competition is extremely strong and we may well benefit from players coming our way too with no issue of State of Origin concerns or not being picked for the International games should they come.

Most excitingly for me though is the chance to form some kind of global "Warriors" brand, with significant revenue potential.

Personally I hope it happens.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

With the appalling financial state the British game is in, with clubs going bust and a salary cap over 30% down in real terms since it came in, the best British clubs can hope for are scraps from the NRL table. We (British RL fans, not just Wigan fans) will need to adjust to the reality that it's going to be increasingly difficult to hold on to our star payers and that the days of top quality southern hemisphere players coming here are at an end.

At least IL is doing something to help Wigan deal with the symptoms of the financial decline of the British game, though I wish he and the other club owners would start doing something to deal with the underlying disease.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: Deano G "With the appalling financial state the British game is in, with clubs going bust and a salary cap over 30% down in real terms since it came in, the best British clubs can hope for are scraps from the NRL table. We (British RL fans, not just Wigan fans) will need to adjust to the reality that it's going to be increasingly difficult to hold on to our star payers and that the days of top quality southern hemisphere players coming here are at an end.

At least IL is doing something to help Wigan deal with the symptoms of the financial decline of the British game, though I wish he and the other club owners would start doing something to deal with the underlying disease.'"

We have it worse at Wigan though. Being 'Wigan' brings extra attention to our best players.

Sam Tomkins is wanted all over the place including the other code. Leuluai has been signed up back in NZ, not many players come over here and get a big deal to go back.

RankPostsTeam
International Star576No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="headhunter":lnxdgxk2]Union people are idiots. They almost universally accept that league is a better, faster game played by better athletes, yet for some reason they continue to disregard and belittle it. That game is tedious as hell from start to finish. If he'd ever played or even bothered to give more than a fleeting chance to league he would realise that the game is far more 'technical' than Union ever could be. Booting the ball into touch, scrummaging and forming rucks and mauls aren't areas that involve any skill, technique or mental capacity whatsoever. These are clumsy, outdated facets of the game that are also extremely uninteresting to watch and thus have to be defended in some way by people who are too prejudiced to see the truth.[/quote:lnxdgxk2]:

Thought about this before. Despite all the doom-mongering, this IMO could actually assist us recruit and keep our best talent.

Realistically our top players are always going to be courted by the NRL, given the disparity in salary cap and potential earnings, but this at least gives us some control over this, and actually could allow us to offer better deals to players than other SL clubs, by utalising the warriors rather than seeing them as a threat.

For example............Sam in another 2 years has many offers on the table from NRL / Kick and Clap etc. which ordinarily we couldn't match - however, if the partnership is utalised in the correct way, we could actually offer a competitve deal -

Say at the moment the most we can offer Sam is £250k per year. Where as Sam may be getting offers of circa £350-400k from union and the NRL. Ordinarily we're blown out of the water, but with a partnership like this, we would have potential to offer sam say another 5 year deal, but where two years of it he would be loaned to NZW. He would still be a Wigan player, but NZW would pay us for him, enabling us to use his extra earning capacity in the NRL, and redistribute accross the rest of his contract.

Suddenly, we can offer him everything he wants - The security of a 5 year deal he would be unlikely to get elsewhere, a competitve offer with what he is being offered elsewhere, with also the opportunity to play and test himself in the best league in the world, in either code!

OK Sam may still go, as the union offer for example may still be able to out bid us, but it would at least give him something else realistic to consider.

This would probably work even better with our young up and coming talent - ie/ George Williams, Lewis Tierney, Iain Thornley etc. When Union come sniffing round our developing youngsters, as with Chris Ashton, it usually only takes an offer in the region of £100k p/a to take them away from us. What an advantage then for these players, if Wigan can offer enhanced terms, to keep them on a 5 year deal, where they know they will get the challenge of the NRL thrown in in 2-3 years time? Surely that counters anything union may turn their head with.

Again, we could loan/second the player to NZW for a fee for this period, and offer that as part of a holistic 5 year deal, which again should be able to compete with RU. OK so after they've tried the NRL we may not get them back, but at least we keep them for another 2-3 years we wouldnt have done, so at least get a bit of our investment back, and it at least stops them from being wasted talent going to union!

RankPostsTeam
International Star484No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

combined with the partnerships with saracens, wales rl and the south wales scorpions it really sounds like theres a plan in motion here.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1661No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

"Global Warriors brand" - good grief, Jack Robinson was right all along in naming us Warriors back in 95!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

I know we have a chance to take a closer look at their young players but they can do the same with us. What if Sam Tomkins had gone to NZ before 2009?'"

What if he'd have spent 2008 playing in the Toyota Cup and had come back to us even better than he is now? Not saying it would have happened, but there are going to be flipsides to every argument. We might be able to send some of our better 20s out there to play in their comp instead of being loaned to Championship clubs over here.

It may also be a case where we are able to take some of their players who are on the fringes of the 1st team. We know Wane and Lenegan seem to like "project" players and this is probably what we should be looking at more now as with the NRL SC increase it is going to be more difficult to attract established players, even if this means it is likely we will only get a couple of seasons out of them before they go back. I'm sure there would also be options for coaches to go over and learn some of their techniques. As long as we don't see a massive drain of our better players leaving for NZ then the positives outweigh the negatives IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner12006No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6278_1381491357.jpg
[b:3ekusm3q][color=#FF0000:3ekusm3q]WIGAN RLFC[/color:3ekusm3q][/b:3ekusm3q]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6278.jpg

We'll have Shaun Johnson, Simon Mannering and Ben Matulino please.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1348No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Games/PDT_419.gif
[color=#FF4040:2teu7uxz]CHERRY AND WHITE[/color:2teu7uxz] [color=#000000:2teu7uxz]IT'S IN OUR BLOOD[/color:2teu7uxz] [color=#FF4040:2teu7uxz]ANCIENT & LOYAL[/color:2teu7uxz] [color=#000000:2teu7uxz]UNTIL WE DIE[/color:2teu7uxz] WIGAN WARRIORS CHALLENGE CUP CHAMPIONS 2011:Games/PDT_419.gif

Johnson would be as good as Sam over here.

Mannering is past it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2284
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35892_1286104184.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35892.jpg

Quote: p1e e8ter "Johnson would be as good as Sam over here.

Mannering is past it.'"

At 25 Simon Mannering is "past it" don't talk rubbish he's a great world cup winning player and there was strong rumours The All Blacks wanted him to convert to Union in 2011.

21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.47607421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
Jake the Peg
11m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
12m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
tad rhino
Recent
Round 17 Warrington Away
Loiner at la
Recent
Bradford Away 140724
Luppylad
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Yellow G
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Lewis Murphy
imwakefieldt
39s
Odsal lease up for sale
Bull Mania
43s
Recruitment rumours and links
karetaker
44s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
44s
Bradford Away 140724
Luppylad
47s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
weaver93
56s
Toulouse game
REDWHITEANDB
59s
Saints h
moto748
2m
Lee Briers
karetaker
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Warriors Extend League Lead with Derby Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Toulouse game
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Ashton extends contract
chris2925
TODAY
Damel Diakhate
Eastern Wild
TODAY
Sackings
SFW
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Into Second With Win Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights game v Leeds
karetaker
TODAY
Watson toast
FIL
TODAY
Watson Been Stood Down
Deeeekos
TODAY
Watson gone
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Giants
doc999
TODAY
Just makes me laugh
Wildmoggy
TODAY
Anyone know about wfd v batley
Redscat
TODAY
Bradford
BigTime
TODAY
One more Saints inspired novel
glee
TODAY
Bradford Away 140724
Luppylad
TODAY
Fax v Fev
The Phantom
TODAY
Cas
the-bearded-
TODAY
Round 17 Warrington Away
Loiner at la
TODAY
Saints h
moto748
TODAY
For the live of god Arthur out
christopher
TODAY
Arthur In
Tex Rerp
TODAY
Wakefield H
Bullseye
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,896 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
08:30
Gold Coast
v
Parramatta
10:35
Brisbane
v
St.George
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
12:00
York V
v
FeatherstoneW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
15:00
Hull FC
v
Hull KR
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
       Championship 2024-R15
Whitehaven
v
Toulouse
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
17:30
Catalans
v
Salford
 TOMORROW
12:00
Wire W
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R15
14:00
Newcastle
v
Hunslet
14:00
Hudds W
v
BarrowW
       Championship 2024-R15
Batley
v
Barrow
Bradford
v
Wakefield
Halifax
v
Featherstone
Sheffield
v
Swinton
Widnes
v
Dewsbury
York
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R15
Oldham
v
Crusaders
Workington
v
Rochdale
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
17:05
Manly
v
Newcastle
 Wed 17th Jul
     State of Origin 2023-R3
11:05
Queensland
v
New South Wales
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Fri 12th Jul
NRL 19 Cronulla58-6Wests
SL 17 LondonB20-34Castleford
WSL2024 8 WiganW12-16St.HelensW
SL 17 Wigan16-12St.Helens
Thu 11th Jul
NRL 19 Dolphins36-28Souths
SL 17 Warrington30-18Leeds
Sun 7th Jul
NRL 18 Sydney42-12St.George
NRL 18 Canberra12-16Newcastle
SL 16 Salford22-20Hull FC
CH 14 Dewsbury16-20Doncaster
CH 14 Featherstone66-0Whitehaven
CH 14 Swinton24-12Widnes
CH 14 Wakefield34-12Batley
CH 14 York54-12Barrow
L1 14 Newcastle0-44Workington
L1 14 Crusaders18-32Midlands
L1 14 Keighley20-20Rochdale
WSL2024 7 Wire W10-32Hudds W
WSL2024 7 York V44-0BarrowW
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 16 443 182 261 28
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
St.Helens 17 441 186 255 22
Hull KR 16 397 217 180 22
Salford 16 317 308 9 22
Catalans 16 304 234 70 20

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 17 280 455 -175 11
Hull FC 16 218 496 -278 4
LondonB 17 176 649 -473 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 14 520 154 366 28
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 14 353 230 123 19
Toulouse 13 344 186 158 17
Widnes 14 327 269 58 15
Featherstone 14 396 283 113 14

Doncaster 14 257 341 -84 13
York 15 339 305 34 12
Batley 14 217 320 -103 12
Swinton 14 284 344 -60 10