FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Ryan Hampshire.
263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Star1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Ryan Hampshire's patience is set to pay off as he prepares to make his Castleford Tigers debut. - See more at: www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... N3WBC.dpuf.

Interesting article by Ryan.
Ryan Hampshire's patience is set to pay off as he prepares to make his Castleford Tigers debut. - See more at: www.rugby-league.com/superleague ... N3WBC.dpuf.

Interesting article by Ryan.

RankPostsTeam
International Star931No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Read this yesterday. It is an interesting article. He is clearly sending out a message to SW that it is either the halves or nothing. The confusion is though, he has signed a new contract and there is much debate of who actually wanted him to have that contract. Surely the future must be Hampshire 6. Williams 7 but Smith has hardly put a foot wrong so far this season and he never get's dropped when he has a run of stinkers so i just can't see where he fits in. I appreciate the job Smith does and i applaud his much improved kicking game but when does Rocky get bloodied in? You can tell Matty is working his socks off trying to improve and you have to give him credit for that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cherry_Warrior "Read this yesterday. It is an interesting article. He is clearly sending out a message to SW that it is either the halves or nothing. The confusion is though, he has signed a new contract and there is much debate of who actually wanted him to have that contract. Surely the future must be Hampshire 6. Williams 7 but Smith has hardly put a foot wrong so far this season and he never get's dropped when he has a run of stinkers so i just can't see where he fits in. I appreciate the job Smith does and i applaud his much improved kicking game but when does Rocky get bloodied in? You can tell Matty is working his socks off trying to improve and you have to give him credit for that.'"

The signing of the new three year contract on the day he left means in my view it was on Wigan's insistence , if he decides he doesn't want to come back Wigan can demand a fee for the remaining 2 years of his contract.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20371No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

While SW is coach of Wigan I do not think there is a future for Rocky at the club.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32342
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

I really hope he does well and it would make Powells decisions very interesting when Roberts is fit again, particularly in view of his new three year deal. What I have never understood is Ryans insistence on playing #6, he is cutting his options of first team rugby by 50%. Had he stayed at Wigan I have no doubt that he would have played at least four games this season (including reserves) whereas at Cas he hasn't had a game at all.
I've said it many times before but the majority of todays fullback started off in the halves, what would have happened if they had insisted on staying there?
Back to Hampshire, I hope he plays well and that would also give Wane food for thought.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rogues Gallery "I really hope he does well and it would make Powells decisions very interesting when Roberts is fit again, particularly in view of his new three year deal. What I have never understood is Ryans insistence on playing #6, he is cutting his options of first team rugby by 50%. Had he stayed at Wigan I have no doubt that he would have played at least four games this season (including reserves) whereas at Cas he hasn't had a game at all.
I've said it many times before but the majority of todays fullback started off in the halves, what would have happened if they had insisted on staying there?
Back to Hampshire, I hope he plays well and that would also give Wane food for thought.'"

Agree with all this, but it bugs me a little when kids try to stipulate where they must play.

In the modern age of big bodies and hyper-fitness, it always strikes me that kids are lucky to get any first team action, let alone action in their preferred shirt.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29677
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Whilst I agree with him that he's more of a half then a fullback you have to worry why the kid doesn't want to play at fullback in the first place. He gets his hands on the ball a lot in the position and he can influence the play so in attack he's seeing no real difference. That leaves the defensive side and you'd imagine it's this that puts him off. He always looked tentative taking kicks in traffic and going in to tackles but that doesn't bode well for his career full stop, regardless of position.

I hope it all works out for him as he's supremely talented. I'd love to see a future at Wigan for him in the halves but under Wane I can't see it.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

I don't get the issue with him wanting to play 6.

Perhaps he has seen what happens to players who play out of what they feel is their natural position. The last player we had do that was Hughes who took on the job of centre when he was really a forward and despite making a better stab at it than some other so called centres he ended up out of the forwards and eventually out of favour in the pack. His willingness to fit in with the needs of the team out of position did him no favours.

And if full back is just another half back why have we never seen Smith there? Or Williams? Why not play Williams at 7, Hampshire at 6 where they played in their academy days and stick Smith at full back?

I am sure the answer will be no one thinks Smith at full back is a good idea. Has it ever entered anyones head as a plausible idea? If not then Hampshire at full back isn't a good idea either.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "I don't get the issue with him wanting to play 6.

Perhaps he has seen what happens to players who play out of what they feel is their natural position. The last player we had do that was Hughes who took on the job of centre when he was really a forward and despite making a better stab at it than some other so called centres he ended up out of the forwards and eventually out of favour in the pack. His willingness to fit in with the needs of the team out of position did him no favours.

And if full back is just another half back why have we never seen Smith there? Or Williams? Why not play Williams at 7, Hampshire at 6 where they played in their academy days and stick Smith at full back?

I am sure the answer will be no one thinks Smith at full back is a good idea. Has it ever entered anyones head as a plausible idea? If not then Hampshire at full back isn't a good idea either.'"

Do you think Smith is fast enough to play full-back? I've never seen him show that kind of pace.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32342
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

I am sure the answer will be no one thinks Smith at full back is a good idea. Has it ever entered anyones head as a plausible idea? If not then Hampshire at full back isn't a good idea either.'"

The answer is quite simple, all the players who have moved to fullback have a lot of pace, Smith doesn't, Wiliams has a bit, but nowhere near the likes Hanbury, Dorn, Tomkins, etc.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

Another player we did it with was Sam Tomkins.. how did that work out?

I'm with Rogues and Cruncher on this one and have been banging this drum for some time. I don't like that a 19/20 year old is trying to dictate where he should play and equally I don't really understand why he would have reservations about playing FB when the modern style of play suits having a pacey playmaker chiming in from the back. As NK says, it may be the defensive side he doesn't like, he's not the best under the high ball but he'll need to do more tackling at 6 than he would at 1.

I hope he has a good season at Cas and comes back next season a better player, because he's an exciting attacking player who I think could have a good career at Wigan. But ATEOTD it's taken an injury to a first choice half back for him to even get a shot at Cas so there's no guarantee he's going to get 15/20 games in this "preferred position" of his.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7559
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm guessing he doesn't want to play FB because we already have Tomkins to come in so at best he'd be a stop-gap or 2nd choice and reserve player. He probably thinks he is a better player than Williams, which is a good thing - confidence is impossible to coach.

RankPostsTeam
International Star931No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

You can't blame him though if he isn't comfortable playing FB. People are talking as if Fb and SO are the same position, they aren't. Much more pressure on a Fb and Rocky clearly thinks his skill and quick feet suit his game in the position he grew up in. Ask a footballer to play right back when he has played all his career as a striker and he won't perform.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Cherry_Warrior "You can't blame him though if he isn't comfortable playing FB. People are talking as if Fb and SO are the same position, they aren't. Much more pressure on a Fb and Rocky clearly thinks his skill and quick feet suit his game in the position he grew up in. Ask a footballer to play right back when he has played all his career as a striker and he won't perform.'"

This could well be the answer.

Personally I don't mind a young guy pushing for a particular spot if he has the talent to support his confidence.
Maybe he just thinks that he better than Williams and Smith therefore, why should he play out of position.
I hope he plays out of skin at Cas and tells SW where to shuff it when his loan expires.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4130No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34595_1297504122.jpg
[color=#BF0000:1qi6asc8]WAKEFIELD FANS ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED.WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND NEED NO EXPLANATION. THOSE WHO DONT, DONT MATTER.[/color:1qi6asc8] [color=#0000FF:1qi6asc8]I AM THE SEEKER OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE[/color:1qi6asc8]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34595.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "I really hope he does well and it would make Powells decisions very interesting when Roberts is fit again, particularly in view of his new three year deal. What I have never understood is Ryans insistence on playing #6, he is cutting his options of first team rugby by 50%. Had he stayed at Wigan I have no doubt that he would have played at least four games this season (including reserves) whereas at Cas he hasn't had a game at all.
Back to Hampshire, I hope he plays well and that would also give Wane food for thought.'"
if backed 100 per cent and not slaughtered and dropped for every mistake when others were far worse then he might of done better at full back. He's probably the most natural half the country has produced in years and wane decides to play him full back when the country is crying out for fast halves with vision and who can pass. Ryan needs his hands on the ball and will make things happen hes not Sam and Sam is not ryan bearing this in mind Ryan's running game was completely taken away and he didn't have the power to run through people. He's blistering pace great hands and awareness use it. Wigan completely missed a trick not bringing George and ryan through together and building a big pack behind them to help them they knew each other inside out. He's never demanded nothing from anyone or any team but promised them and been let down. A new contract was offered to keep him away from sts Leeds or wire even though wigan don't want him. He's finished at wigan with wane there that's the bottom line he could lose both halves and bookers and he's play a fan before recall ryan. Final thought in the academy ryan sniffed around and was scoring 20 or 30 tries per season when he went to full back it dropped to bout 5 it might be cause it's the wrong position or style of play

263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.8955078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Bent&Bon
7m
Tonights match v HKR
Wires71
10m
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
14m
Worst semi
lefty goldbl
24m
Film game
karetaker
27m
Sam Burgess
lefty goldbl
27m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
karetaker
39m
Leigh it is
Snowy
47m
Rumours thread
PopTart
Recent
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
1m
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
1m
Isa 1 year extension
Cherry_Warri
2m
Ashurst to depart
BarnsleyGull
2m
Sam Burgess
lefty goldbl
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
2m
MjM
2m
karetaker
3m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
rubber ducki
4m
Call for funds
the fax in a
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
karetaker
TODAY
Worst semi
lefty goldbl
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Listenup94
TODAY
Sam Burgess
lefty goldbl
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Wires71
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Cherry_Warri
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
northernblok
TODAY
Championship Awards
Butcher
TODAY
Season tickets
terry silver
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Bent&Bon
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Rafa9
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
rubber ducki
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,442 80,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
 FT 
Hull KR
10-8
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 4th Oct
SL
LIVE
Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22