JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Is it only me, but I don,t get what Lam is seeing with playing all of these young guys together. There is no doubt that in 3 or 4 years time POTENTIALLY we have the makings of a very big good pack of forwards.
However at the moment and for most of last season we are being pushed around the park by bigger more experinced packs.
For all of their obvious potential let's be brutally honest here about these young guys, for all of their heart and workrate and defensive effort and lets me say here they offer loads in these departments, what do Partington and Smithies offer with ball in hand, no go forward and not particularly skilful at this stage of their careers, because of their size I think Byrne , Kilner and Havard are better prospects although they still need to develop the strength to take on the big guys week in week out, our metre making at the moment is non existent and through no fault of these kids, they should not have to be trying to do it week in week out when clearly they are physically not up to it.
Equally and more worryingly the reason Lam puts them in each week is because the older forwards are lazy and underperforming. when you have a pack out on the park that contains Oli, Isa Faz and Smithies our threequarters are bigger.
If we are going to achieve anything this season and give the likes of Hastings and Smith something to work with Lam needs to be getting Bullock, Flower, Burgess Clark and Greenwood out there fully fit, motivated and playing to their full potential, and just drip feed one of these young kids in each week not playing them all together.
I am all for giving kids a chance but not all together at the same time.
It is Lams job to get a tune out of these older guys or move on an bring someone in who can.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

Don't think you'll find many that disagree

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Egg Chasing "Don't think you'll find many that disagree'"

I really want too but I can’t on the whole disagree. I will take issue with the Smithies criticism though; he’s been a brilliant player for us and will only get better. Deserves his place in the squad IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

Quote: 100% Warrior "I really want too but I can’t on the whole disagree. I will take issue with the Smithies criticism though; he’s been a brilliant player for us and will only get better. Deserves his place in the squad IMO.'"

Yeah agree

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Lets now start picking on the young players when the problem lies with some of the more experienced players, especially those who have passed their best.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29666
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

You throw 3 young props in with Clubb in his current state and you’re asking for trouble. Big Tony made another whopping 25 metres last night from 5 carries and got through a whole 12 tackles. They’re rugby Union stats! In fairness to him he only played one spell but that’s 3 games (including the friendly) now where he’s been unable to get through more than one spell (if he’s even made it that far). He should e been retired by the club but he wasn’t and he’s not going to walk away.

On the plus side looking at the stats last night, Ethan Havard made 98 metres from 12 carries. I’d want only one of him, Byrne and Partington in the side currently (maybe rotating them to give them all chances and keep them fresh) and he’d be at the front of the queue based on that. Ollie Partington is a terrier but he struggled to make ground again with only 50 metres.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15238No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The tragedy is that we see these young guys working their guts out in every game and still getting physically battered in the middle.

Those blaming the older forwards are correct.

Some of the elder statesmen in our pack should hang their heads in shame for letting the youngsters take a pounding while they limp off (again).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

I’d say this batch of forwards is the best bunch of forwards since Joel Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Liam Farrell, Harrison Hansen, Micky Mac, Chris Tuson, Paul Prescott etc.

Potentially could surpass those when you throw in the others who haven’t featured.

To turn your sights on a bunch of young lads is terrible. The likes of Morgan Smithies is breaking world records aged 18.

We have the best young pack in Superleague by far.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29666
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Smithies, Byrne and Havard made more ground than Lockers and Clubb, so it doesn’t stack up to blame any of them for an issue with making ground. It’s not even somebody like Lockers fault, he doesn’t do huge spells and we know he brings loads of other qualities. No pack in the world has 6 starters plus 4 subs banging out 100m plus apiece but the best sides have 3 or 4.

The issue lies with the selection and that’s Lams responsibility.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7769
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: post "I’d say this batch of forwards is the best bunch of forwards since Joel Tomkins, Lee Mossop, Liam Farrell, Harrison Hansen, Micky Mac, Chris Tuson, Paul Prescott etc.

Potentially could surpass those when you throw in the others who haven’t featured.

To turn your sights on a bunch of young lads is terrible. The likes of Morgan Smithies is breaking world records aged 18.

We have the best young pack in Superleague by far.'"

Read what everyone's said again
Noone is blaming the young lads

Everyone's saying that were picking 4 of them at once Alongside IMO the WORST prop out there to "Support" them (because he never contributes more than 20mins of abject average week in week out) and these guys are having to play 55/60mins each to cover that when they're not ready.
We should be picking no more than 2 of them at any one time and the clarkes/clubbs/bullock/Burgess and flower (injury not withstanding) should be doing the bulk of the work.
These guys should doing 2 x 15min spells apiece, but due to the coach, and inability of certain ones to do more than 20mins a game they're getting battered up front.

The new interchange rule is designed to make props do more minutes, our first line prop atm is doing less and less!

Last week I got in the car and as the team was announced I shook my head in disbelief. Not because of any one particular player, but the inclusion of all of them.
We dodged a bullet last week, especially due to Burgess not contributing anywhere near what we thought he would (which Lam should have known and with Ten minute Tony playing it makes Lams decision even more astounding) and i thought this week he would support these lads by rotating a couple and bringing at least 2 of Clarke / Bullock / Greenwood in.
When I saw the team again about half 6 last night I couldn't believe it.
20mins in and our senior prop is off the field again after making sod all co tribution again and were left with 4 young lads trying to deal with Watts and Millington etc.
It's a good job cas had 2/3 forwards injured because if theyd played wed have been Mullered!

Its Lams job to get the best out of these players.
I didn't like what he was doing from 3/4 games into last year but I thought hed been dealt a difficult hand that with Edward's situation was made more difficult.
Hes had almost 12 months to get ready for this year and IMO we look even worse.

Walking off last night I made a comment that in 35 plus games under Lam I've felt "enthused' about our performances maybe 4/5 times, that's simply not good enough.
If Clarke/Bullock/Greenwood cant get into this team especially when Flower/Burgess/Powell are injured and we know BFUT can only do 10/15 mins of nothing then get rid of them. Theres no point in keeping them?
And if they play next week then it's one thing and one thing only, Lam got it wrong for the last 2 weeks.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Jukesays "Read what everyone's said again
Noone is blaming the young lads

Everyone's saying that were picking 4 of them at once Alongside IMO the WORST prop out there to "Support" them (because he never contributes more than 20mins of abject average week in week out) and these guys are having to play 55/60mins each to cover that when they're not ready.
We should be picking no more than 2 of them at any one time and the clarkes/clubbs/bullock/Burgess and flower (injury not withstanding) should be doing the bulk of the work.
These guys should doing 2 x 15min spells apiece, but due to the coach, and inability of certain ones to do more than 20mins a game they're getting battered up front.

The new interchange rule is designed to make props do more minutes, our first line prop atm is doing less and less!

Last week I got in the car and as the team was announced I shook my head in disbelief. Not because of any one particular player, but the inclusion of all of them.
We dodged a bullet last week, especially due to Burgess not contributing anywhere near what we thought he would (which Lam should have known and with Ten minute Tony playing it makes Lams decision even more astounding) and i thought this week he would support these lads by rotating a couple and bringing at least 2 of Clarke / Bullock / Greenwood in.
When I saw the team again about half 6 last night I couldn't believe it.
20mins in and our senior prop is off the field again after making sod all co tribution again and were left with 4 young lads trying to deal with Watts and Millington etc.
It's a good job cas had 2/3 forwards injured because if theyd played wed have been Mullered!

Its Lams job to get the best out of these players.
I didn't like what he was doing from 3/4 games into last year but I thought hed been dealt a difficult hand that with Edward's situation was made more difficult.
Hes had almost 12 months to get ready for this year and IMO we look even worse.

Walking off last night I made a comment that in 35 plus games under Lam I've felt "enthused' about our performances maybe 4/5 times, that's simply not good enough.
If Clarke/Bullock/Greenwood cant get into this team especially when Flower/Burgess/Powell are injured and we know BFUT can only do 10/15 mins of nothing then get rid of them. Theres no point in keeping them?
And if they play next week then it's one thing and one thing only, Lam got it wrong for the last 2 weeks.'"

Absolutely spot on. Well said Jukes.
A Cas fan told us the teams in the pub before the kickoff and I couldn’t believe the selections and neither could the Cas fan!!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29666
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Aye spot on that post and if Jukesays is bagging Lam, then he’s clearly getting things wrong because he’ll give anyone a fair crack of the whip from my experience on here.

Lam needs to change, he needs to get his selections right. He’s signing his own death warrant at the minute and it won’t take long for people to turn on him if he doesn’t change. It all feels a bit Keiron Cunningham at the minute and like Saints at that time, I feel we have far more talent in the squad than is being allowed to come out. A good coach gets more out of players than you thought possible, at the minute Lam isn’t even getting players average performance levels out of them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: NickyKiss "Aye spot on that post and if Jukesays is bagging Lam, then he’s clearly getting things wrong because he’ll give anyone a fair crack of the whip from my experience on here.

Lam needs to change, he needs to get his selections right. He’s signing his own death warrant at the minute and it won’t take long for people to turn on him if he doesn’t change. It all feels a bit Keiron Cunningham at the minute and like Saints at that time, I feel we have far more talent in the squad than is being allowed to come out. A good coach gets more out of players than you thought possible, at the minute Lam isn’t even getting players average performance levels out of them.'"

Jukes nailed it and you have in there too - ‘Kieron Cunningham’.

I can’t remember who posted it but it was the “Jobs for the boys” thread. This is what Lam feels like. A brilliant player for us and one of the lads, let’s give him a job despite his lack of credentials. Same for Paul Johnson in the S&C role. Is it any coincidence we look like we’re unfit and can’t play?

For me it’s a full clear out of back room staff when Lam goes. We need fresh blood, fresh ideas and a fresh direction.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29666
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Easter would be decision time for me. We’ve got 7 games before Saints and they’re 7 winnable games (with varying levels of difficulty). We’d then go in to that acid test against Saints, a side we were a million miles away from last year and it would tell us plenty. We’d then be ten games in to the season and even if we’re in a bad spot, we’d have time to recover under a new man.

If Lam was to still be the man then we need to see some of the following in the build up to that Good Friday game-

-better selections

-an increased go forward to allow the backs to play

-A game plan, a style of play. I want to watch a side and think ‘that’s what we’re trying to do’.

-individuals being left out on performance, not picked on popularity. A genuine competitive edge to selection, driven by players being rewarded for playing well in the first team and in the reserves and losing their places for not doing so.

I’m not holding my breath.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32342
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Looking at the match stats last night Clubb played only 22 minutes in the match, Jake Shorrocks played 18 minutes. IMO we could have had another forward on the bench in place of Shorrocks, Morgan Smithies could have played hooker for that same spell.
As it was it meant the younger forwards had to play longer minutes, although I would agree that Byrne, Havard and Smithies were among our better performers.

39 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
39 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

7.0625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
5m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
18m