FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Does Hampshires face not fit at Wigan.
147 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
International Star1789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

For the last couple of weeks Hampshire has been left out of the 19 at Wigan and the only time he has got near the squad is when Bowen as been out.
(apart from when Williams broke down in the warm up and Hampshire had to do a quick change and almost caused the match to kick off late)

It seems that after Wane said that he didn't see Hampshire as anything but a replacement for Bowen and that is the only position he would play, he is being frozen out.

Everyone on here said that Bowen had a stinker at Cas last week, but more than that he threw the towel in.
So if Hampshire is the reserve fullback why isn't he even in the squad this week.

Food for thought.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

I talked about last chance Saloon for one or two in another thread and Bowen is one of those.

I was the person who said he gave up at Cas and he did. He feigned injury during Castleford's last try and I didn't even see anybody do that during the shocking years of 2005 or 2006. He knew he'd been made a fool of and instead of turning and chasing like Manfredi and Bateman did (successfully) he threw himself to the ground.

Going back to Hampshire I worry for his future if he isn't getting a go after that tbh. He was very solid at HKR but did let himself down with a shoddy attempt on Dixon for their winner. I've said this before that I feel Wane highlights the negatives with Hampshire far more then some other players.

RankPostsTeam
International Star64No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hampshire wants to play 6 but he is fourth choice half back now.
It seems if your face doesn't fit then you've no chance with Wayne!
He might aswell move clubs

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Quote: wazman "Hampshire wants to play 6 but he is fourth choice half back now.
It seems if your face doesn't fit then you've ni chance with Wayne!
He might aswell move clubs'"

If I were Hampshire I'd give it a few more weeks, probably until May/June and make my mind up on where his career should go.

If the side was playing well then not being given a game is understandable but if we continue to struggle and more importantly Bowen, Smith and to a lesser extent Williams and Powell continue to not hit form he's got to seriously consider if he's at the right club or playing under the right coach.

Something doesn't feel right about the Wane/Hampshire relationship.

RankPostsTeam
International Star64No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

There's a few not getting their chance under Wayne. It seems no matter how bad some players play they won't get dropped. Must be frustrating for some squad members.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Quote: wazman "There's a few not getting their chance under Wayne. It seems no matter how bad some players play they won't get dropped. Must be frustrating for some squad members.'"

Not sure, he seems to have used pretty much his full squad this year already. The two I'd say have been a bit unlucky are Hampshire and Logan Tomkins but there is a lot competition in those positions.

With Hampshire it's not as much him not playing him on a regular basis that bothers me but more some of the things Wane says about him. He makes it clear he sees him as a back up full back and at points seems loathed to praise him. I don't know if he's trying to dampen expectation or it's a way of trying to gain a reason for not playing him but it all seems weird.

Ask me who our best stand off is and I like many would say Hampshire but Wane obviously doesn't see it anything like that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star64No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think money is dictating who plays for Wigan at the minute.
Last year Pettybourne this year Bowen.
Wayne should use his full squad if the team isn't playing well.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15755
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

Quote: wazman "I think money is dictating who plays for Wigan at the minute.
Last year Pettybourne this year Bowen.
Wayne should use his full squad if the team isn't playing well.'"

WANE

RankPostsTeam
International Star17No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hampshire is not happy at all. But there is only one decent potential offer for him, and that is from a, so called, unfashionable smaller club. IMO it would be best for him and the club for him to stick at it this year and hopefully prove his worth to Wigan or show other clubs enough to attract some interest.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15440
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

Quote: stillinthepast "For the last couple of weeks Hampshire has been left out of the 19 at Wigan and the only time he has got near the squad is when Bowen as been out.
(apart from when Williams broke down in the warm up and Hampshire had to do a quick change and almost caused the match to kick off late)

It seems that after Wane said that he didn't see Hampshire as anything but a replacement for Bowen and that is the only position he would play, he is being frozen out.

Everyone on here said that Bowen had a stinker at Cas last week, but more than that he threw the towel in.
So if Hampshire is the reserve fullback why isn't he even in the squad this week.

Food for thought.'"

I was at Cas, Bowen didn't have a stinker. He just didn't have a stormer either. People are really out for him at the moment, he took quite a few difficult kicks with good kick pressure on him which resulted in him being tackled as soon as he caught the ball, people being the sticks were still berating him. I'm a big Rocky fan but I reckon he would have dropped one or two of those kicks. We signed Bowen to be a solid experienced full back, the fact he scored a couple of wonder tries last season shouldn't detract from that. He is also good for a try assist per game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15214No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: never had it "Hampshire is not happy at all. But there is only one decent potential offer for him, and that is from a, so called, unfashionable smaller club. IMO it would be best for him and the club for him to stick at it this year and hopefully prove his worth to Wigan or show other clubs enough to attract some interest.'"

Are the anti-tampering rules no longer in force then?

Serious question. I've been a bit out of touch recently,

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29441
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg

Quote: Grimmy "I was at Cas, Bowen didn't have a stinker. He just didn't have a stormer either. People are really out for him at the moment, he took quite a few difficult kicks with good kick pressure on him which resulted in him being tackled as soon as he caught the ball, people being the sticks were still berating him. I'm a big Rocky fan but I reckon he would have dropped one or two of those kicks. We signed Bowen to be a solid experienced full back, the fact he scored a couple of wonder tries last season shouldn't detract from that. He is also good for a try assist per game.'"

Bowen has been 'safe' all season in fairness to him (apart from running past a kick at Widnes)and the early season pitches certainly don't suit him. He needs to offer more in attack but hopefully that will come like it did last year.

I still can't get past the build up to that last try though when he went all premiership footballer on us and clutched his leg rather then try and chase down the Cas attacker. I've never seen a player recover from injury as quickly as that!

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Hampshire did ok at Hull KR and should have kept his place.

However look at it another way if he'd been at Leeds for example, (I chose Leeds because along with ourselves they are the most successful club over the last five years) he'd have played about a third of the games he's played for us. Wigan have given him plenty of chances and whilst he's done ok he's not exactly set the world alight.

He needs to keep his head down. More chances will come. And when they do, if he's good enough, he'll take them, and keep his place - just like Sam did.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32319
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: never had it "Hampshire is not happy at all. But there is only one decent potential offer for him, and that is from a, so called, unfashionable smaller club. IMO it would be best for him and the club for him to stick at it this year and hopefully prove his worth to Wigan or show other clubs enough to attract some interest.'"

I think he's unhappy because he is not playing at ANY level. Young players just want to get out on the field and play. I remember Sam Tomkins being rested from the first team and used as sub in the U21's. After 5 minutes he was prowling the touchline at Orrell, looking up at the coach in the stand, arms wide open shouting, can I get on now.

I was at HKR and honestly didn't see any major problems in his game. Maybe he could have done better with the last try but it came from an incorrect ptb from Campese and Bateman along with McIlorum and Smith were also caught out. It doesn't seem right that he got took out of the 19 for the Cas game and George Williams got benched to sub hooker (only getting 20 minutes)

To be fair to Wane he appears to have done what most coaches do and gone back to experience. Burrow comes back for Leeds and Sutcliffe gets left out. Saints have two halfbacks missing v Wakefield so they play Wilkin and Wellens in the halves.

If Wane sees Hampshire as the replacement for Bowen, then he heeds to do one of two things.

1) Send him out on loan for a month to play in that position to gain confidence

or

2) Give him a run of games (3 or 4) in the first team

As I've said many times I see Hampshire and Williams as the long term halfback pairing at Wigan but I think it would be unfair on them to put them there at present, it's never worked in the past here or anywhere else that I can recollect.

I just hope that Wane and Radlinski sit down with the young players and explain their plans for them over the next two years rather than try to bully them into signing contract extensions.

Slightly off topic but in 2013 the England Knights halfback pairing was Sarginson and Powell. The England U18 halfback pairing was Hampshire and Wiliams and Jake Shorrocks was the England U17 halfback.

Food for thought?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner885No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Workington are waiting of an half-back from Australia if he ever gets his paperwork sorted but in the meantime they have been crying out for a number 6. Twice it looked like Hampshire was going to come to us but both times he was pulled from that idea (once being when Williams withdrew late on matchday). The lad could have had some quite valuable time playing in his favoured position and maybe let Wane see that he could be Wigan's number 6 for the future. I could see him doing for Workington what Lee Gaskell is doing at Bradford.

147 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
147 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.10302734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
boardwalkemp
12m
Leeds
the-bearded-
24m