JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

While Wigan is run properly by IL, other clubs are still making huge losses.

Skints have just announced pre-tax losses of £2.4m for the last financial year (compared with losses of £1.7m the previous year) and falling revenue.

This loss is bigger than the SC! When will the clubs and the RL put some proper financial controls in place?

Saints directors may be willing to bail them out for now but this is a worrying position for a club which told its fans the move to a new stadium would put its finances on a sound footing.

Other than Wigan and Leeds are any clubs in decent shape financially? The game is a very worrying position.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN::27476.gif

Its very strange you decided to post this minutes before this came out:

www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/4237

Its a shame youre wrong, but hey ho, well timed.
Its very strange you decided to post this minutes before this came out:

www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/4237

Its a shame youre wrong, but hey ho, well timed.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg
[quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]IMO, Sculthorpe at his peak was better than Hanley was at his.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="nickmanator":3hoggrzp]billy boston in todays game might pinch a spot bringin the cone on and that bein kind[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="robbierotten":3hoggrzp]Imo Sam Tomkins is a very poor mans Danny Brough he is just a average player getting bigged up by the idiots who comentate on sky.[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Deano G":3hoggrzp]Jonathan Davies, who is his equal in [Super League] today?[/quote:3hoggrzp] [quote="Badwanger":3hoggrzp]Wellens[/quote:3hoggrzp]:7007.jpg

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "Its very strange you decided to post this minutes before this came out:

I'm not wrong. There are no figures for the year ended 31/10/2013 in the statement, which is a PR piece.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif

Quote: Deano G "I'm not wrong. There are no figures for the year ended 31/10/2013 in the statement, which is a PR piece.'"

No figures, no - but rather the way the figures should be interpreted. I havent seen the accounting sheet - put id put good money on the majority of the "losses" to be consist of the overheads from the stadium (which is in the "pr piece"icon_wink.gif and depreciation of the major asset. In essence both are right, breaking even in Cash value is what theyre getting at. Where youre wrong is the suggestion its not sustainable.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1876No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2014Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28305.gif
:28305.gif

Quote: Deano G "While Wigan is run properly by IL, other clubs are still making huge losses.

Skints have just announced pre-tax losses of £2.4m for the last financial year (compared with losses of £1.7m the previous year) and falling revenue.

This loss is bigger than the SC! When will the clubs and the RL put some proper financial controls in place?

Saints directors may be willing to bail them out for now but this is a worrying position for a club which told its fans the move to a new stadium would put its finances on a sound footing.

Other than Wigan and Leeds are any clubs in decent shape financially? The game is a very worrying position.'"

St Helens was a bad example. They have had a massive outlay On their stadium and if their chairman says they are likely to break even this year and become profitable from 2015 and beyond we should believe him.

There does seem to be a significant number of badly run clubs from a financial point of view and a number relying on the owners cash to keep them afloat but that is the same in most sports. It wasn't that long ago we were on the brink.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg

Quote: Eastbourne Warrior "

St Helens was a bad example. They have had a massive outlay On their stadium'"

I don't think the depreciation on their stadium is the main factor in the £2.4m loss. It will be interesting to see what the operating loss position is when the accounts are available.

Hopefully they can turn things around as their Chairman believes. I guess we'll see next year.

What worries me is that so many clubs aren't run on a break even basis (let alone trying to make a profit to reinvest), the game is on a knife edge. Bradford didn't have a chairman like McManus and as a result one of the greatest clubs in the game has been reduced to a parlous state. If that can happen to Bradford it can happen to any club, big or small, and as you point out, it almost happened to us.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg

Quote: Magic Superbeetle "No figures, no - but rather the way the figures should be interpreted. I havent seen the accounting sheet - put id put good money on the majority of the "losses" to be consist of the overheads from the stadium (which is in the "pr piece"icon_wink.gif and depreciation of the major asset. In essence both are right, breaking even in Cash value is what theyre getting at. Where youre wrong is the suggestion its not sustainable.'"

Don't get me wrong, I really don't want Saints to be in dire financial straits (one thing we can all agree on is that the Saints v Wigan derby is one of the best things in British sport, not just RL, the rivalry between the clubs is a big part of why we support our clubs). Obviously Saints aren't at the moment in a financial crisis despite another big loss, your directors (including I think McManus) are very generously supporting the club with their own cash and I've seen no signs they are not prepared to or can't keep that going as long as necessary, but it just isn't good for the game to have clubs being propped up in this way. Just because it used to happen at Wigan under Dave Whelan didn't make it right then, even though his support was also generous.

IL gets flak from Wigan fans for not waiving his chequebook around, but he's doing things I think in the best, long tem, interests of the club. We have to remember that RL isn't football, we can't assume that very wealthy people will step forward to bail out clubs, not even sides like Wigan or Saints will necessarily find a benefactor like IL or McManus - just look at Bradford, the dominant club in the early SL era, now reduced to financial ruin.

Hopefully Saints directors and management will put the club on a sustainable basis going forward, with a big improvement in this year's figures being the starting point when they are announced this time next year. It is worrying that the losses have widened this year, I would have thought that now things would be settling down and the club would be on an even keel, but we will just have to wait and see what happens.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27476.gif

Quote: Deano G "Don't get me wrong, I really don't want Saints to be in dire financial straits (one thing we can all agree on is that the Saints v Wigan derby is one of the best things in British sport, not just RL, the rivalry between the clubs is a big part of why we support our clubs). Obviously Saints aren't at the moment in a financial crisis despite another big loss, your directors (including I think McManus) are very generously supporting the club with their own cash and I've seen no signs they are not prepared to or can't keep that going as long as necessary, but it just isn't good for the game to have clubs being propped up in this way. Just because it used to happen at Wigan under Dave Whelan didn't make it right then, even though his support was also generous.

IL gets flak from Wigan fans for not waiving his chequebook around, but he's doing things I think in the best, long tem, interests of the club. We have to remember that RL isn't football, we can't assume that very wealthy people will step forward to bail out clubs, not even sides like Wigan or Saints will necessarily find a benefactor like IL or McManus - just look at Bradford, the dominant club in the early SL era, now reduced to financial ruin.

Hopefully Saints directors and management will put the club on a sustainable basis going forward, with a big improvement in this year's figures being the starting point when they are announced this time next year. It is worrying that the losses have widened this year, I would have thought that now things would be settling down and the club would be on an even keel, but we will just have to wait and see what happens.'"

Not just depreciation. Read the article - work has only just been completed - the cladding alone will account for 800k of it. It also makes financial sense to keep the outlay for as long as possible (cough tax cough)

As with all these things, if both chairmen walked away tomorrow, Id feel far more comfortable as a saints fan - but I dont want to turn this into a Saints/ Wigan row - financially speaking, Saints have never looked better.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1871No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51474_1275316988.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51474.gif

I think Saints have to be applauded for what they have done and in many ways should be a model for RL clubs going forward. Owning a new purpose built stadium with all the income streams that go with that will pay dividends for years going forward. They were very lucky to have McManus there to raise the finance and get things going but there is no reason that other clubs couldnt do the same.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Deano G "Other than Wigan and Leeds are any clubs in decent shape financially? The game is a very worrying position.'"

Not sure Wigan are in "decent shape financially". Last set of accounts showed assets of £1.887m against liabilities of £4.123m. I would expect Wigan's 2013 figures to be very good given a Wembley appearance and income from Sam Tomkins transfer however in last year's accounts there was a warning that 2013 would be a "challenging one in tough economic conditions with increased operating costs arising from .... setting-up Wigan TV" so they should make interesting reading.

As for other clubs in decent shape financially then Warrington have just posted a profit for 2013 which I think makes it about 5 years in a row whilst Warrington's assets exceed its liabilities by around £9.7m so as far as rugby league clubs go then I'd say Warrington are in decent shape financially.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10174_1376908073.png
23 - 20 - 4 Warrington led 16-2 in Saturday's Grand Final, but their joy was short-lived as Wigan roared back to win the Super League title and extend the Wire's 58-year wait to be champions:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10174.png

Haven't the Wolfs' profits fallen dramatically?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3525No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Sep 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7007.jpg

Quote: Orrell Lad "Haven't the Wolfs' profits fallen dramatically?'"

They have, from 366k to 19k, but to be fair the Wolfs do seem to be run on a prudent basis, hopefully that drop isn't a sign of problems to come.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2679
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18243.jpg
Ettinghausen's gone ice skatin':18243.jpg

Yes the word profit giving you a clue to Warrington's parlous state. How many sporting clubs post a profit these days?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Deano G "They have, from 366k to 19k, but to be fair the Wolfs do seem to be run on a prudent basis, hopefully that drop isn't a sign of problems to come.'"

Figures include transfer fees paid of £215k in 2013. Seems a lot to spend on Anthony England who was our only signing during the year icon_wink.gif

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Leeds

Turnover reduced from £10.7m in 2012 to £10.03m in 2013 mostly due to not reaching a final in 2013.

Profit reduced from £692k to £406k.

Amount owed to the club = £1.643m

Cash at bank = £1.99m

46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
46 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

7.2685546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
bonaire
24m
Batley Bulldogs H
Willzay
46m