Player Coach15448
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Frank Zappa":1sacjrvf]Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.[/quote:1sacjrvf] [quote="The_Enforcer":1sacjrvf]Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.[/quote:1sacjrvf]:

So the dust has settled from Friday and he has now had a full season in charge. For me it has been disappointing.

We thought he was a motivator, and yet we have lost every big game this year (both Warrington games and both semi finals). We also lacked killer instinct, losing every game that was closer that 12 points except Hull KR.

We thought he would be good at developing players, yet every player in the starting 17 has either stayed the same or gone backwards bar Goulding, Hock and Hughes who didn't really play last season and Finch who finally settled in. On top of that he didn't give enough experience to the young players who needed it i.e Russell/Murphy, Powell and L.Tomkins. This left us in a sticky situation at the business end of the year with Lockers having to cover at 6, then 9, and Murphy playing in a semi final for his second ever game. Also when Richards was out injured I think it would have been a lot smarter to play Gelling/Hughes at centre and Goulding out wide but I know many will disagree on that point.

Man for man we look weaker next season, so the teams needs to be greater than the sum of its parts. That's the job of the coach though, isn't it? I'm not saying we should get rid just yet, but I'm far from confident that he is the man to take us forward. Thoughts?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4083_1711972570.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4083.jpeg

For me it is as expected and predicted by many when he took over.

Nobody ever said that his man management and ability to motivate his players was in any doubt and I think that has been proved.

The question mark was always over his tactical ability and I think that has been justified by being dumped out of both competitions due to the wrong tactics.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Can't say I disagree TBH.

Mossop has gone backwards IMHO, at parts he showed what he could do but most of the time he seemed to lose heart. I asked this question after the Leeds SF - Mossop has all the potential in the world, but does he have the bottle? My answer is No.

We do look weaker for next season, I'm far from happy with the acquisition of Blake Green. Waste of money. Wane should of spent the money where we really need it, mainly prop. Powell could of been promoted or Sam back to halves and promoting Murphy.

It's a controversial question considering our final league position but its still valid; Is Shaun Wane the man to take us forward to SL/CC titles?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

To be fair, I think Powell would have had more game time and we wouldn't have signed Matty Smith had it not been for him picking up a broken leg in the u20s. With Mellor on loan to Widnes this left us very short of cover in the halves as in my opinion Leatherbarrow will never reach the appropriate standard. We should have given Logan more game time. Personally I am against wholesale rearrangement of the starting 13 and playing players out of position when we pick up an injury or a ban. These are the times we should be blooding the young kids in their natural positions; wing gets injured then we replace with u20s wing, 2nd row injured then replace with u20s second row etc.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach457
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10106.jpg
Adlington ARLFC 1988 -1992 Adlington Rangers ARLFC 1992 - 2009 Chorley Panthers ARLFC 2009 - 2011:10106.jpg

But is Iestyn Harris not responsible for our attack ? Just a thought.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member8768No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4083_1711972570.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4083.jpeg

Quote: MOUSE13 "But is Iestyn Harris not responsible for our attack ? Just a thought.'"

At the end of the day the overall responsibility is with the coach, after all its his coaching staff.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Wane has not had a full squad available. Fielden and Roberts took up a lot of salary cap when his oppo coaches didn't have that problem, Prescott has missed a lot of the season.
His mistakes were, not enough pre season friendlies which ended with us losing the first game to Hudds. Playing far too many U20s at Widnes and losing.
Then when Tommy was injured, he left Mellor at Widnes. If he'd brought him back then Finch could have stayed at 6 and Lockers 13.

What he has achieved is that when we hit form the Rugby we played was breathtaking. The Magic game v Saints, wins away at Leeds and Catalans. Then Tommy's injury stopped us, form went and the results too. SW never the less has coached a team to top of the league in his first season which is impressive.
Hopefully with Fielden and Roberts gone the full salary cap can be put on the field. I'm sure that with the size of front row next year and the fact that younger props can do extra minutes should we cop an injury, we'll do well next season.
Like all teams we need a good off season with three friendlies prior to the first SL game so the squad can hit the ground running.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's a bit harsh to suggest that Wane has made any of the players worse than what they were before. After all many players started off better than they had been under Maguire and then went off the boil late on in the season. I'd say that's down to not managing the team properly over the course of the season and allowing most of the players to peak too early.

Mossop's form dipped like several other players but I don't believe he's gone from being one of the most promising forwards in the country to a poor player in the space of a few months. You don't just lose ability. Early in the season he was matching and outplaying some very good and very experienced forwards so he's clearly got that ability.

It's not the first time a team has looked excellent at the start of the season and then faded badly towards the end and looked lethargic.

I'm not worried about the ability of the players under Wane or concerned that he's making them bad players, I'm worried about his ability to coach a team in a sensible way.

He criticised Madge's approach saying the team could have done better in some games and scored more points and he was absolutely right. The problem is there was a reason Maguire and many other coaches played such a straightforward, simple style of rugby. If you give players license to throw the ball around they will eventually take liberties and go too far in the other direction and stop playing common sense rugby.

Tony Smith found that out at Warrington. You can't just go around battering teams when it doesn't matter and then try to play the same style in big games. There has to be a focus on doing the simple things early on and the reason Wire and Leeds are in the Grand Final is because in big games they've done the simple things well, focused on forwards domination and only chanced their arm if the opportunity arose.
Wire got it wrong in the first playoff game against Saints, tried to overcomplicate things and failed. Yesterday they kept it much more simple and it worked wonders.

In the crucial games Wigan seemed to think there was no need to alter the approach and that throwing the ball wide would work against any team at any time. Too often they would overcomplicate simple plays, like putting the ball through three different pairs of hands only for a forward to drive it up the middle on the 3rd tackle in their own half. There's just no need; it greatly increases the risk for no significant gain.

RankPostsTeam
International Star484No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

its all very well spouting what you would have done differently, but their is no evidence or indication any of the supposed resolutions would have left us in a better position.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2127No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Aug 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: the wrestler "its all very well spouting what you would have done differently, but their is no evidence or indication any of the supposed resolutions would have left us in a better position.'"

*opinions*

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5750No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7349_1382076828.jpeg
CHAMP20NS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7349.jpeg

Said all season I didn't think he would take us forward, and il stand by it. I still think over the next 2/3 years we will go backwards with him coaching us. Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach803No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2013Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As a leeds fan my opinion of shaun wane is he is a very good coach and i think he has done a great job, yeh we beat you in the semi of the cc, and on friday, but i thought on friday it really could have gone either way, both sides gave it their all.

youve had the best attack and d over the season and finished top, obviously to miss out on OT is a big disappointment for you guys but its defo not all doom and gloom

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cherry.Pie "It's a bit harsh to suggest that Wane has made any of the players worse than what they were before. After all many players started off better than they had been under Maguire and then went off the boil late on in the season. I'd say that's down to not managing the team properly over the course of the season and allowing most of the players to peak too early.

Mossop's form dipped like several other players but I don't believe he's gone from being one of the most promising forwards in the country to a poor player in the space of a few months. You don't just lose ability. Early in the season he was matching and outplaying some very good and very experienced forwards so he's clearly got that ability

It's not the first time a team has looked excellent at the start of the season and then faded badly towards the end and looked lethargic.

I'm not worried about the ability of the players under Wane or concerned that he's making them bad players, I'm worried about his ability to coach a team in a sensible way.

He criticised Madge's approach saying the team could have done better in some games and scored more points and he was absolutely right. The problem is there was a reason Maguire and many other coaches played such a straightforward, simple style of rugby. If you give players license to throw the ball around they will eventually take liberties and go too far in the other direction and stop playing common sense rugby.

Tony Smith found that out at Warrington. You can't just go around battering teams when it doesn't matter and then try to play the same style in big games. There has to be a focus on doing the simple things early on and the reason Wire and Leeds are in the Grand Final is because in big games they've done the simple things well, focused on forwards domination and only chanced their arm if the opportunity arose.
Wire got it wrong in the first playoff game against Saints, tried to overcomplicate things and failed. Yesterday they kept it much more simple and it worked wonders.

In the crucial games Wigan seemed to think there was no need to alter the approach and that throwing the ball wide would work against any team at any time. Too often they would overcomplicate simple plays, like putting the ball through three different pairs of hands only for a forward to drive it up the middle on the 3rd tackle in their own half. There's just no need; it greatly increases the risk for no significant gain.'"

I don't think anyone is questioning his ability, its his heart that is in question. Does he have the heart/toughness in big games? In a semi-final game when your forwards are needed to step up and be counted? I don't want to turn this into a Mossop bashing, but it's obvious to see he doesn't have the heart.

The rest of your post I completely agree with.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2088
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: 100% Warrior "I don't think anyone is questioning his ability, its his heart that is in question. Does he have the heart/toughness in big games? In a semi-final game when your forwards are needed to step up and be counted? I don't want to turn this into a Mossop bashing, but it's obvious to see he doesn't have the heart.

The rest of your post I completely agree with.'"

To be fair at 23 he's still very young for a prop and in most of the big games he hasn't had much help from more experienced players backing him up. It's a tough ask for such a young player to effectively be the leader of the pack. It's also only his second season playing as an out and out prop forward if I'm not mistaken.

Chris Hill is of a similar age and has done well for Warrington but in a lot of the big games he's been backed up by good performances by Morley, Carvell and Westwood. He's part of a pack containing two of the most experienced forwards in the league.
At Wigan, Mossop is our equivalent to a Morley or Carvell really because to be honest him and Lima have been our two main forwards.

I would argue that he started the season well but suffered a loss of form and that's been his biggest issue. In his first 16 games of the year he missed just 5 tackles and then in a 6 games spell starting with the home game against Hull he missed 9. That's suggests a significant dip in form defensively.

Maybe he does lack a bit of heart in the big games but props only tend to mature later in their careers. If he's a big weak when it matters now it doesn't necessarily mean that will always be the case. It's a learning curve.

I think it goes back to the issue of having an inexperienced pack or perhaps a slightly unbalanced pack.

The rest of the team also seemed to lose form at the same time as Mossop so it could be a collective thing rather than one or two individuals letting the team down.

RankPostsTeam
International Star22No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66502_1332688393.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66502.jpg

I think your wrong about wane , I personally think we'll be a better team for all the disappointment we've suffered this year.

75 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
75 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1357421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
jaws1
9m
Film game
Boss Hog
21m