JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I am a Wigan season ticket holder and will always go and support my club but I like many others am greatly disturbed by the current state of my club. This is not as many people might think a reaction to us losing to a team well adrift at the bottom of Super League but is due to the patterns that anyone including the fans of Wigan and other clubs can see. Patterns that some of the people that have been or are running our club either cannot see or if they can see them they seem from the fans’ perspective to be unwilling to do anything about.

Firstly with regards to our proportion of games won in super league during the regular season. I know that the championship is decided by the Grand Final series and that we have reached the final eliminator in the last two seasons but this cannot be used on its own as a measure of our standing in the competition in comparison with the previous 2 or 3 seasons. Over the last few seasons (with the current coach) we have established a pattern of winning a smaller proportion of our regular season games in any given season than we did in the previous campaign. Our record in playoff games serves only to paper over the cracks and mask the true state of our record competitively and disguises the need for improvement. This pattern follows a similar pattern to that in the seasons from around the year 2000. During that period our proportion of wins in the regular season slowly diminished with some good performances during the playoff series again papering over the cracks and the declines continued. This pattern of declining records culminated in a season where we very nearly suffered relegation. Although the threat of relegation is now removed surely the club must realise that any club that slips into a pattern of scrapping around the bottom of the table will come under the threat of their licence not being renewed particularly if clubs in the championship with equally good pedigrees (past trophies aren't everything) can be seen to be more progressive and upwardly mobile.

Secondly with regard to the promotion of young players. Whilst the wholesale transplanting of reserve players into the first team is not viable as 0-70 vs Leeds and 0-75 vs St Helens graphically demonstrated there does need to be some drip feed system in place. Although there are some young players coming through there is not the sort of conveyor belt system in evidence that has and is being used at clubs like St Helens. Taking the two most high profile youngsters as examples in Sam Tomkins and Shaun Ainscough highlights the problem in Wigan's case in the area of integrating youth. Here we have two players who have been thrust into a lot of games this season in an underperforming team whilst having little or no experience of first team rugby. Thrusting players into the first team in this manner creates a sink or swim situation and can as the coaching staff at Wigan have rightly pointed out have a detrimental effect on the player and their development. However Shaun and Sam are 19/20 years old now as they get their first taste of senior action. Surely a better way for following the duty of care and aiding development would be to give young players an increasing number of games from an earlier age. If an 18 year old is given 2/3 appearances (starting or as a sub), then 5/6 as a 19 year old and then 9\10 as a 20 year old he will be much better able to cope with the rigours of a more regular spot in the team afterwards. A player that springs to mind who seems to have followed this type of path is Kyle Eastmond who may well be the successor to Sean Long for Saints next year. If one place in the 17 is kept for an 18 year old, one for a 19 year old and one for a 20 year old in each first team game and the reserves rotated to fill these spots then it could ease them into the senior squad. Also as these developing players would always feature it would not be likely to cause much fluctuation in the standard of the squad as a whole and would surely be better for the club in the long run. Youth production is after all a required part of the licence and a club does not need to be in Super League to supply other clubs with players as Widnes and Leigh continue to show.

Whilst these are not the only problems we have at the moment I think these are two of the most pressing and this post is long enough already.

RB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4235No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I have to say I disagree with most of what you say.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I have to say i disagree with your second point.

With regards to ainscough and tomkins, ainscough hasn't played many more games than was predicted for him at the beginning of the season, therefore he hasn't been thrust into any first team action that wasn't expected to be a case. As for tomkins, again his prediction was only to play a similar number of games to ainscough, but he has made a very good impact and has therefore forced the management into giving him much more game time.

As for drip feeding youth into the team, last year was the first big year for Joel Tomkins, and years before that players like Prescott, O'Carroll, Hansen have all been brought through.

If there is an area that i'm not particularly concerned about its the youth development at wigan, Leneghan especially seems keen to ensure that we our youth get game time as soon as they are ready an become mainstays of the first team.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2169
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23338.gif
Wellens 3/10 Like public transport. Late, slow and stunk FIOS:23338.gif

great first post - have you been saving all that up icon_confused.gif:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach968No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41312.jpg
"she wore, she wore, she wore a yellow gibbon" "she wore a yellow gibbon in the merry month of may" "and when i asked her why she wore a gibbon" "she said it's for the wire and it's gonna climb a tree!" INARDIS FIDELIS "If Noble is there next year I will not be renewing my season tickets mine and two grandchildren the future Wigan Suporters. How low can we get".............wigan fans ...ancient and loyal:41312.jpg

2 things wrong with wigan the team and the fans, trolling of the lowest order i know but i could not resist icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: slimwire66 "2 things wrong with wigan the team and the fans, trolling of the lowest order i know but i could not resist
but yet even though most wigan fans consider ths to be one of the worst seasons in years, at this moment your still below us in the table, and we're at the same stage in the cup.

Kinda shows the difference in the expectations between the two clubs, you guys seem happy to be , we're all devestated to be classed in the same group as you!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44075_1339364158.jpg
What's the rumpus, Tom? [quote="Pemps":1dso5atj]I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala". [/quote:1dso5atj] [quote="Wigan Peer":1dso5atj]I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:[/quote:1dso5atj] [quote="MattyB":1dso5atj]you cant tell me they are all busting for a turd. [/quote:1dso5atj] Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm To keep her from the howlin' winds.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44075.jpg

Quote: inside_man "but yet even though most wigan fans consider ths to be one of the worst seasons in years, at this moment your still below us in the table, and we're at the same stage in the cup.

Kinda shows the difference in the expectations between the two clubs, you guys seem happy to be poop, we're all devestated to be classed in the same group as you!'"

Well put my good man icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: inside_man "but yet even though most wigan fans consider ths to be one of the worst seasons in years, at this moment your still below us in the table, and we're at the same stage in the cup.

Kinda shows the difference in the expectations between the two clubs, you guys seem happy to be poop, we're all devestated to be classed in the same group as you!'"

icon_lol.gif

This guy just keeps standing up and we keep knocking him down. It's great.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44075_1339364158.jpg
What's the rumpus, Tom? [quote="Pemps":1dso5atj]I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala". [/quote:1dso5atj] [quote="Wigan Peer":1dso5atj]I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:[/quote:1dso5atj] [quote="MattyB":1dso5atj]you cant tell me they are all busting for a turd. [/quote:1dso5atj] Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm To keep her from the howlin' winds.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44075.jpg

Quote: Cruncher "

It seems to me that Dire fans ultimately do not care that they have been the laughing stock of RL for the last 30 odd years. They are more concerned with our problems. Perhaps they feel that need to escape the confines of their GCSE lacking forum and talk to more enlightened fans on here.

I find it quite flattering TBH. We should have a sticky thread for all the Cat 10 wolves’ morons who are obviously closet Wigan fans and can get enough of vying for our attention.

All their Signatures are about Wigan!. I bet the Widnes fans are glad to get rid of them for a while.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1696No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012Feb 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Deano G":wqb36lm9]Come to think of it, that Saints side (1992/93) was a better side than the 2006 side and the 2009 side.[/quote:wqb36lm9]:

The two problems at Wigan are;

1. You have no (performing) world class prop forwards.
2. You have a coach whos gameplans revolve around having at least three world class prop forwards.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3528
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25472.jpg
[img:2n7j1gh7]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/heathenchemist/sig.gif[/img:2n7j1gh7] [size=75:2n7j1gh7][color=red:2n7j1gh7]WIGAN RLFC IS MORE THAN A RUGBY CLUB - IT'S A RELIGION[/color:2n7j1gh7][/size:2n7j1gh7] [size=75:2n7j1gh7][color=black:2n7j1gh7]There will always be a Wigan Warriors no matter what the bitter & twisted blues say[/color:2n7j1gh7][/size:2n7j1gh7]:25472.jpg

Quote: Badwanger "The two problems at Wigan are;

1. You have no (performing) world class prop forwards.
2. You have a coach whos gameplans revolve around having at least three world class prop forwards.'"

What about a third, 5 drives and a poor kick

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

And again the wire fans would dream of the last few years we have had finishing 3rd two years in a row with a couple of cup semi-finals.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wiganrlforever "What about a third, 5 drives and a poor kick'"

i hate to sound like im defending noble and everything, but i don't believe our pack EVER gives us a solid base to try anything but the above. Look at the games we've performed well with the backs, its always been "coincidentally" when coley et al have actually shown up.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg
[color=#000000:3fno8grb]Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing. [/color:3fno8grb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30366.jpg

A good argument and I have to agree with what he says about drip feeding players into the first team squad.

Look at James Graham the current man of steel and one of the best prop forwards in super league and a regular for England for many years to come:

2003 - 1 appearance ( Age 1icon_cool.gif
2004 - 7 appearances ( Age 19)
2005 - 21 appearances ( Age 20)
2006 - 21 appearances ( Age 21)
2007 - 26 appearances ( Age 22)
2008 - 25 appearances ( Age 23)

Paul Prescott:

2004 - 3 appearances ( Age 19)
2005 - 2 appearances ( Age 20)
2006 - 2 appearances ( Age 21)
2007 - 21 appearances ( Age 22)
2008 - 10 appearances (Age 23)

Kyle Eastmond

2007 - 2 appearances ( Age 17)
2008 - 14 appearances ( Age 1icon_cool.gif
2009 - 5 appearances (Age 19)

Sam Tomkins

2007 -
2008 -
2009 - 11 appearances ( Age 20)

So Saints seem to be blooding youngsters far more earlier than Wigan and much more gradual as well. Recently with Sean Ainscough and Sam Tomkins they have just been thrown into the squad without any real duty of care at all. So subsequently lad behind other young players.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: cadoo "A good argument and I have to agree with what he says about drip feeding players into the first team squad.

Look at James Graham the current man of steel and one of the best prop forwards in super league and a regular for England for many years to come

It's very true but it's alot easier for a young player coming into a team like saints who are just pure class, Lomax said it himself.

69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1044921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
Recent
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
FORUM