JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7914_1630875396.png
I'm 49, I've had a brain haemorrhage and a triple bypass and I could still go out and play a reasonable game of rugby union. But I wouldn't last 30 seconds in rugby league. Graham Lowe When Wigan do comebacks Grand Final 2013 Hull KR 2012 Bradford Bulls 2007:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7914.png

Just found this on the Examiner live about MPs interview...

Initial comments

Firstly, I want to put on record my best wishes to Zak. I told him this personally. There is a genuine desire from this club to see him be okay and to thrive as a person first and foremost. We all know he can play rugby but we just want him to have a happy and content life and whatever support he needs, the club and the game remain there for him.

The lads have all been involved in our culture and they wish him well as a friend first and foremost and that's how I feel, I hope he's alright.

How difficult it was to make the decision

It's difficult because there is a level of care for Zak and a want to see him come here and meet the standards. But as well, we know what we have to do for the best of the club, what culture we're trying to build and to have standards you have got to have accountability. Whether that's in team selection or people not remaining on the journey. Unfortunately, that's where it has got to.

Is the decision related to the initial incident that saw him dropped, or something different?

It's related, it's a consistent theme, we have standards and repeated breaches you could say, repeatedly not meeting what is expected. That's not what is expected from me specifically, I am a massive part of it, but it's the group, the club and what we want to stand for. Zak has been part of the conversations where we have said what we want to be about, as have all the team and staff. For that reason, it becomes an obvious decision even if it's not an easy one.

Was it a necessary decision to make a point about the importance of culture and stands?

It's no good saying all the right things and you never get your culture perfect, it's a life thing. Good things happen and bad things happen but what defines your culture is how you react to it. There are two sides to it - there is the care for Zak as an individual which I will continue to stress, but there's care for all the other individuals in the club, players, staff, fans and academy. We have to do the right thing for the majority.

How important is it to not let it be a distraction for the Salford game?

I can one million per cent guarantee it won't be a distraction.

How have the players reacted?

I don't know what they'll be like, I'm sure they will all touch base and reach out to Zak, as will I and encourage them to do so as a friend, but it's business as usual.

Do you feel let down?

No, not really, I don't take it personally. I'm disappointed for Zak because I know he did want to make it work here. But it's not to be.

Did Zak show he wanted to put it right?

Consistently. I think at heart Zak wants to make it work. But I think, as I said, there has to be accountability. People make mistakes, we've worked with Zak, as we do a lot of our players, people make mistakes, but like I say, we've got to see people learning from them mistakes and unfortunately that wasn't the case.

How long did it take to come to the decision to tear up his contract?

Well firstly, it wasn't just my decision. I had a feeling on how things should go. But there was collaboration throughout the club, proper processes, proper discussions and disciplinary process and in the end, multiple stakeholders, including the baord and the owners, it was considered the right thing to do for the club. I had my own opinion on what the right thing to do was from a team and performance point of view but there's more to it than that.

Did the leadership group have a role?

I'm not going to go into too much detail but the players are the culture and know what is expected. There's time we reflect on things that haven't or have gone well, we have regular meetings to discuss our progress. They weren't asked directly but some of them would be involved in conversations.

Will you look to recruit a replacement?

We always have one eye on that and there will be cap space, but that's not been mentioned at all yet. This was a standalone decision. In an ideal world, Zak would still be here, he's a quality player and a popular member of the group. Zak at his best adds a lot. That discussion might come up at some point but my mind is focused on this week's game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15781
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "Hardaker might have thrown homophobic abuse about, beat up a student, took banned substances, drove a car sozzled etc etc but the reason people don’t wish ill on the guy is because they’re decent people. The fact he might not be a great human being doesn’t make others snowflakes for hoping he’s ok.'"

You want to read some of the comments on redvee icon_surprised.gifops:

Particularly when they mention someone who committed suicide icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29673
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: [Gareth] ""You want to read some of the comments on redvee
It’s incredible. I can dislike teams, players, fan bases or whatever on a sporting level and I can throw some banter around on places like this but when all is said and done a player could wipe his backside on our shirt on his way out and do all sorts of wrong in his personal life and I’d still be sad to hear they’re having medical issues away from the field, even more so when they have a young child.

Tits like some on RedVee, other forums, this forum, social media etc simply want the attention a shocking comment brings.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15781
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16032_1698179828.jpg
"[color=#800080:2tf4iz4f]BOHICA[/color:2tf4iz4f]":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16032.jpg

Quote: NickyKiss "It’s incredible. I can dislike teams, players, fan bases or whatever on a sporting level and I can throw some banter around on places like this but when all is said and done a player could wipe his backside on our shirt on his way out and do all sorts of wrong in his personal life and I’d still be sad to hear they’re having medical issues away from the field, even more so when they have a young child.

Tits like some on RedVee, other forums, this forum, social media etc simply want the attention a shocking comment brings.'"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach663No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Pie_Eyter "Oh no. I'm so offended
Its just called being nice, having some compassion and generally being a decent human being.

You should try it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18737No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16493_1299497226.jpg
[quote="king warrior":prbr924b]Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week Got to say this is a top signing[/quote:prbr924b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16493.jpg

And we'd best leave it there.

282 posts in 20 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
282 posts in 20 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.6640625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
3m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
4m