Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3446-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3446-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

I really feel for Rocky at the moment. Whenever he is given a chance by Wane it is at full back which is clearly not his position. I don't accept that he has been given a chance at 6, an outing with 5 minutes notice doesn't count in my book.

For some reason Wane seems to have some kind of problem with giving Rocky the chance that other players have been given. What makes matters worse is that Rocky is getting no game time whatsoever due to the lack of a reserve grade coupled with the fact that he isn't being allowed to play at Workington.

Rocky may not fulfil his potential but how will we know if he isn't given the opportunity. My fear is that he will turn out to be the player that most think he will, just not in Cherry & White. If this happens then it will be down to p**s poor management.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2797No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39978_1327618193.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39978.jpg

Quote: MOPSEY LIVES ON "Hampshire is not a full back in a million years hes an out and out halfback. you give your best players as much ball as possible hes pace to burn support play, engine to cover the field can make breaks from nothing, give him a chance or hopefully someone else will. look at his try percentage in the academy half to full back a remarkable dip from 30 to 40 a season to about ten. modern day utter bull, read bill ashursts comments about ryan the best half at the club a future international at half and why split George and rocky up he says would you split Edwards and greg. bills final comments were some people have a clue and some don't. modern day my booty.'"

I remember reading similar rants when Sam Tomkins was moved to fullback...

The fact is, whether FB is Rocky's preferred position or not, he is still capable of doing a job there. No 20 year old in the country can make demands about where they should or shouldn't be playing, and I hope any rumours of that being the case are wide of the mark tbh. Hampshire did very well tonight in the situations he has struggled the most with, dealing with the high ball. If our attack was stuctured with any depth there would be no issue with Hampshire at fullback as he would be perfectly suited in the deep-lying 2nd phase playmaker role (a la Sam). The issue is Wigan's attack is so pathetically flat and laboured it's painful to watch.

Bottom line, I don't buy the whole "he's never a FB in a million years" line that many like to churn out on here, but until we sort out our clunky and shambolic attacking structures it wouldn't really matter who we had playing there.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32319
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

Quote: WARRIORCRAIG "I remember reading similar rants when Sam Tomkins was moved to fullback...

The fact is, whether FB is Rocky's preferred position or not, he is still capable of doing a job there. No 20 year old in the country can make demands about where they should or shouldn't be playing, and I hope any rumours of that being the case are wide of the mark tbh. Hampshire did very well tonight in the situations he has struggled the most with, dealing with the high ball. If our attack was stuctured with any depth there would be no issue with Hampshire at fullback as he would be perfectly suited in the deep-lying 2nd phase playmaker role (a la Sam). The issue is Wigan's attack is so pathetically flat and laboured it's painful to watch.

Bottom line, I don't buy the whole "he's never a FB in a million years" line that many like to churn out on here, but until we sort out our clunky and shambolic attacking structures it wouldn't really matter who we had playing there.'"

Agree, he was superb last night and along with Charnley my m.o.m. although he was fortunate for Charnleys try as he was about a yard offside from the kick through. There's a good reason why many coaches pick their most dangerous attacking player at fullback. I've said many times that Hampshire can play either at #1 and #6 and be effective for the TEAM. As for the Gregory / Edwards combination, Gregory was an experienced 25 year old when he came to Wigan. For those who can remember a bit further back, look what happened when Wigan tried to go with Holden and Edwards in the haves at such a young age.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach914No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28256.gif
:28256.gif

The only reason I'd be wary of playing Williams and Hampshire at 6/7 together at the moment is whether they can be vocal enough to organise a team full of more senior players.

I'm hoping next year when Sam returns that will curtail that issue and we may see them together with Sam, O'Loughlin and Micky also on field as vocal/ organising leaders

1. Tomkins
6. Hampsire
7. Williams
9. McLlorum
13. O'Loughlin

The prospect of that spine gets me pretty excited

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5844
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: DP_wwrlfc "The only reason I'd be wary of playing Williams and Hampshire at 6/7 together at the moment is whether they can be vocal enough to organise a team full of more senior players.

I'm hoping next year when Sam returns that will curtail that issue and we may see them together with Sam, O'Loughlin and Micky also on field as vocal/ organising leaders

1. Tomkins
6. Hampsire
7. Williams
9. McLlorum
13. O'Loughlin

The prospect of that spine gets me pretty excited'"

It's their defence that would worry me. I was watching Hampshire for most of the game last night, he was fairly vocal, and did quite well.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2915
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Rogues Gallery "Agree, he was superb last night and along with Charnley my m.o.m. although he was fortunate for Charnleys try as he was about a yard offside from the kick through. There's a good reason why many coaches pick their most dangerous attacking player at fullback. I've said many times that Hampshire can play either at #1 and #6 and be effective for the TEAM. As for the Gregory / Edwards combination, Gregory was an experienced 25 year old when he came to Wigan. For those who can remember a bit further back, look what happened when Wigan tried to go with Holden and Edwards in the haves at such a young age.'"

Rogues I remember the failed Holden and Edwards combo but that doesn't mean that Williams and Hampshire would also fail due to age and/or experience.
We probably will never get the chance to see if it could actually work because unless Smith gets injured there is no way that SW will ever drop Smith however ineffective he is.
As I have said previously I hope Hampshire moves on to pastures new to give his undoubted talent a chance to develop because for whatever reason SW obviously just does not fancy Hampshire in the number 6 jersey

23 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
23 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
6m
Round 16 London Home
Emagdnim13
6m