JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2013Dec 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

have been a rl supporter for over half a century i can honestly say it was a far far better match than the france england rl match on friday night which was an absolute joke.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1250
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29146.gif
Keep goin wit yed down:29146.gif

Quote: Wigan Peer "Not really, most south walians are English by decent having moved there for work in the pits and steel works. Until the law changed, not many, as a percentage, spoke Welsh. North wales, where my family are from, is very different. All my family have Welsh as a first language.

The Scots are well..... Scottish!! Thought they would have switched just as readily as us, if only to cock-a-snook at the English. But as i say, i don't know enough to know the reason why

And that's middle to upper class is it?

RankPostsTeam
International Star2786No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2013May 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
users/saints.gif
:users/saints.gif

Quote: proper-shaped-balls "I say It's even odder that the Welsh play or even give any time to the Establishment game. After all, where it is strongest in Wales is working class similar to Lancashire and Yorkshire.'"

I think when we split up from union we very nearly had Wales in RL,union then decided to turn their backs on Welsh players getting paid so this stopped them coming from the dark side I think.( I am sure if I am incorrect somebody will put this right but this is what I have been told).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5844
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
Officially RLFAN's most Doe-eyed Happy Clapper. Big Steve wrote: The Internet has provided some wonderful creativity, opportunities and knowledge sharing but it has also given a worldwide forum for people you would leave a full pint behind in the pub to avoid having to listen to them. aboveusonlypie... If you don't bother to go to the game when you live in the locality then you are not really a fan and therefore your views are invalid. It's simple.:icons39ad_files/4821-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

Quote: proper-shaped-balls "And that's middle to upper class is it?'"

Whats that got to do with the price of cheese?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16256
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Quote: Wigan Peer "Odd that the Scots watch an English Establishment game... Wonder why they never went down the RL route. Well i have ordered the Tony Collins book, so i should know more after that.'"

It is very much the establishment game in Scotland as well. It's the same type of people that are in the Scottish Conservatives. Union is popular in the private schools there and taken seriously at their universities like St Andrews, Edinburgh etc, the typical Scottish lawyer or accountant will be into union.

But the average working class Scot who likes beer and fried Mars bars will say rugby's a game for rich poofters.

In Wales however as other posters have pointed out, it is very much the game of the working classes.

Ireland is an interesting one, one of my flatmates is Irish, she reckons that when she was growing up, rugby union was viewed with suspicion in the Republic, the real sports there were hurling, Gaelic football and football, rugby was always associated with being the game the colonial English brought. But there has been a definite change in the last 10 years with union growing in popularity thanks to the emergence of high profile players like Brian O'Driscoll, Ronan O'Gara etc, and it is definitely more accepted as a mainstream sport.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1192
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51209_1313399598.gif
Regards , EW:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51209.gif

Wigan Peer wrote:Odd that the Scots watch an English Establishment game... Wonder why they never went down the RL route. Well i have ordered the Tony Collins book, so i should know more after that

scotlandrl.com/index.php

Scottish rugby union is very much split into 2 catagories.

1. The FP (former pupil) clubs with are by and large based in the central belt (Edinburgh and Glasgow) and north and are more or less considered middle class .

2. The Border clubs from the mill towns like Hawick , Gala , Kelso , Selkirk , Langholm etc. These are very much working class clubs where most of the Scottish players who took up Rugby League originated from .

Regards , EW

PS dont knock the fried mars bar until you have tried it (i haven't) icon_lol.gif
Wigan Peer wrote:Odd that the Scots watch an English Establishment game... Wonder why they never went down the RL route. Well i have ordered the Tony Collins book, so i should know more after that

scotlandrl.com/index.php

Scottish rugby union is very much split into 2 catagories.

1. The FP (former pupil) clubs with are by and large based in the central belt (Edinburgh and Glasgow) and north and are more or less considered middle class .

2. The Border clubs from the mill towns like Hawick , Gala , Kelso , Selkirk , Langholm etc. These are very much working class clubs where most of the Scottish players who took up Rugby League originated from .

Regards , EW

PS dont knock the fried mars bar until you have tried it (i haven't) icon_lol.gif

47 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
47 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.48291015625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
WHO IS NEXT
Once were Lo
26m
This site is crap
ALAW
26m