Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2778.gif
:2778.gif

IMO our international game is embarasing so i dont see the point to be honest. We have got 3 teams who are any good and France are in a bracket on there own below us Aus and NZ. I wish it wasnt, i really dont, but this is the reason why Union are more of an apeal than we are (as boring as i and all others think union is to watch). They have a good solid 10 teams internationaly and thats were the difference is. Until the likes of France, Wales, Ireland, Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Tonga and so on become more competative with the bigger nations our game wont move on Internationaly. I personally would rather have an Ashes Series at home at the end of 2010

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: FekaTheBeast "It isnt publicised enough for me. I really enjoy the autumn series (world cup, 4 nations etc) but i think they either need to lengthen these tournemants or have mid-season internationals like in football and RU. What do you recon?'"

A mid season international should replace the Magic weekend IMO. The magic weekend does nothing to improve the standard of play here nor does it do anything for the international game and you can hardly argue playing it in Scotland is a worthwhile exercise in promoting the domestic game..

A regular mid-season game v France should replace it.

As it is RL internationals seem to pop up out of nowhere and don't seem to have any firm roots in the sporting calendar. We need regular international games so fans (and the media) get back into the habit of internationals being an important part of the RL sporting calendar.

Eventually an England / France game would hopefully reach a standard where the rivalry would be as good as England v France in RU and be good preparation for both sides for things like the four nations or world cup.

It would be one sided to start with but then provided the right development priority is given to it there is no reason a French side could not emulate the pretty rapid rise of Les Cats to becoming competitive.

EDIT: RU introduced Italy to make the six nations and they were very poor. They didn't give up despite some thrashings the Italians got and viewed the whole thing as a positive step. They stuck at it withItaly and now they can win against the home nations. We show far too much impatience with the likes of France and PNG - the two sides just outside the top of international RL.

Argentina are going to start playing in the southern hemisphere version of the six nations. They will get murdered but RU will stick at it.

Dave

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18803
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
699_1268771516.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_699.gif

Quote: Scotty Keeeeeeench "IMO our international game is embarasing so i dont see the point to be honest. We have got 3 teams who are any good and France are in a bracket on there own below us Aus and NZ. I wish it wasnt, i really dont, but this is the reason why Union are more of an apeal than we are (as boring as i and all others think union is to watch). They have a good solid 10 teams internationaly and thats were the difference is. Until the likes of France, Wales, Ireland, Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Tonga and so on become more competative with the bigger nations our game wont move on Internationaly. I personally would rather have an Ashes Series at home at the end of 2010'"

I agree totally. We didn't have enough test standard players to fill the squad this year. Until our league has a scenario where a team finishing top can be struggling to get into the play offs a year later and vice versa (like the NRL) we won't compete.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39110_1363272058.jpg
Dropkick Murphy..we actually saw and heard a mass of bouncing and scarf and flag waving to Dale Cavese that drowned out anything we could muster.. It stopped us singing our own celebratory songs, it died out seconds later when we accepted we couldn't be heard over the Wigan lot Celebrations muted from us, job done from them. Most fans who slag them off are jealous their own club's support is nowhere near that good - sally cinnamon..Why not discuss Wigan? It's a rugby league message board. Wigan are the most famous brand in rugby league - Tre Cool..Saints fans are hopeless unless it's a cup final or grand final. Wigan fans are so much more loyal and passionate - the flying biscuit..Wires havent been massively succesful over the years, but I've spoke to Brian Bevan And he spoke to me and i wouldnt swap that for Wigans History, ever - Ande..on the TV i could only hear the Wigan fans with about 10 to go - Saint94..Every team is in your feckin shadow, we all know - FIOS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_39110.jpg

Quote: Scotty Keeeeeeench "IMO our international game is embarasing so i dont see the point to be honest. We have got 3 teams who are any good and France are in a bracket on there own below us Aus and NZ. I wish it wasnt, i really dont, but this is the reason why Union are more of an apeal than we are (as boring as i and all others think union is to watch). They have a good solid 10 teams internationaly and thats were the difference is. Until the likes of France, Wales, Ireland, Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Tonga and so on become more competative with the bigger nations our game wont move on Internationaly. I personally would rather have an Ashes Series at home at the end of 2010'"

Its is not just about those nations being competative though. Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, South Africa... they all fill stadiums of 60,000 or more for pretty much every international they play, and thats even more than our biggest 3 teams!

International RL is a mess, the problem stems back much further than we think. Had the governing body years ago realised what was really important we would now have alot more roots to grow from. I also think our own international RL stadium would help alot!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1693No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The biggest blockbuster event in Australia is State of Origin and that is only 2 teams, the same 2 every season. England, Asutralia and NZ is enough teams if they are playing out fantastic contests. For a starter a Australia v New Zealand 3 match series would be fantastic and if England can get to that level then we'd have a great event.

16 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
16 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.35546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
WIZEB
14m
Other Championship Clubs
Trojan Horse
17m