JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2009Jan 1970LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Hope the rumours of Brough are true, not rated by many but I personally think he would be an ideal signing. What is the rumour doing the rounds? Has he been seen at the club ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Saint Simon "There's usually lots of minor shareholders aswell, who are entitled to be there.'"

Minor shareholders can be staff can't it? Ie. Players - or have I got that completely wrong?

icon_confused.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34133_1401485799.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34133.png

Quote: 100% Warrior "Minor shareholders can be staff can't it? Ie. Players - or have I got that completely wrong?

there's nothing to stop any staff member actually having shares, unless there's some extremely random part of their contract. If it's anything like saints lots of fans have small amounts of shares that can change hands for well above any real value. I've got 100 saints shares which used to be enough to get you on the board (if you were invited), but i dont know if thats still the case. Gets me into the AGM though!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1116No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Dec 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: cpwigan "I have yet to come across anybody at Wigan that does not think IFL is not as tight as they come with money and that if they had more staff they could achieve far more. IFL being tight is not a fan view, it is a Wigan RLFC view.

The real success of Wigan RLFC is not down to IFL (Remember he appointed JL) but Hogan, Collinson etc with excellent appointments like Unsworth. The big success is off field more than on field. Indeed, that is the big difference between Wigan now and Wigan under Whelan.
Would that off field have been so great under Lydon and IFL? I think not. Hence Hogan is the key not IFL.

Wigan in the SL was not a club in the normal sense of one. So it would not be hard to improve on what went before. DW simply took the view that the cost of running Wigan RLFC was minimal and that he was happy for it to simply exist with his hand being put in his pocket as and when required. The prestige of Premiership football was always greater than SL. Clearly that is not that way to run any club. So off field Wigan RLFC became virtually non existent and indeed that may have suited Whelan in his attempt to attract more fans to Wigan Athletic. However, no one will ever know bar the man himself. We can speculate though as we always do.

The playing side? I do worry that IFL seems to want to rewrite history. He is often supported by fans. Fans I suggest watch the short documentary prior to the last game at CP when IIRC Joe Egan states that Wigan were a club that bought / signed talent rather than opting for local player and it only changed thereafter which is a KEY POINT. The big name non local players in a very successful Wigan RLFC team made youngsters living in Wigan want to emulate them and in turn play for Wigan RLFC.

The momentum in getting the best youngsters playing RL is critical. Many 'great RL players' never play the sport.
The 80 teams did exactly the same. Young boys wanted to emulate Brett Kenny, Ellery Hanley, Shaun Edwards et al N.B It does not matter to children whether a player is from Wigan or Wogga. They need to be inspired, excited and want to take up the sport. Prior to the 80’s RL was not played in many parts of Wigan. Even today, RL in Wigan owes a huge debt to amateur clubs. Forget schools, we currently have schools in Wigan not playing RL and those that do gain success from what the amateur clubs provide them with.

Currently, football is huge. One of the great things about the 80s was that football was at a low ebb. Forget that now. Football clubs are really on the money now and they are taking children younger and younger. Never forget many 'great RL players' never play the sport.

Interestingly, RL clubs / the RFL are talking about bringing players into the professional side later and later and embracing non competitive sport. Football clubs are going the opposite way as far as age goes. In Wigan every week there will be umpteen football scouts from NW clubs looking at 6 year olds and upwards. There are Wigan youngsters under the age of 11 attending scholarship type schemes at clubs throughout the NW. They seem to follow the non competitive path too but is that just a British thing? Given how unsuccessful we have been nationally across the board is it the right thing.

Wigan RLFC currently have the oldest fan profile in SL. The one positive is they have the best female fan profile in SL. Unfortunately those female fans cannot play RL for Wigan in SL.

So it is never a chicken and egg scenario in RL. RL needs stars that children want to emulate which is why old farts whining about the Warriors tag is so ridiculous and pointless.

If Wigan RL are exciting to youngsters and youngsters want to watch them and play the game then yes you get more and more young Wigan born players or British born players. We are talking primary age youngsters. A great deal of those who do go currently are 'dragged' along by us 'old farts'
Maybe there was far more meaning in what Dean Bell said re if you get the first team right, the youngsters will follow and come through.

Either / Or is not an option. It never has been. It never will be. That is one of the sad aspects of RL in Britain. You will find BARLA men who are oblivious to the fact kids knock on their clubhouse door because of Ellery Hanley, Andy Farrell and Trent Barrett and instead hate the professional game with a passion. Likewise you will find pro RL men who think that BARLA is a waste of space without acknowledging that when a Hanley, a Farrell or a Barrett captured some young boys’ imagination they then need somewhere to learn and play the sport and become the next AN Other.

Remember many 'great RL players' never play the sport.
So you are left asking does IFL understand Wigan RFL as well as he thinks or suggests. Was his statement correct. N.B He has a habit IMO of putting his foot in it and back tracks which is what happened post Forum 4. At that forum he clearly stated Wigan would follow the youth route, post forum he started to add world class non youth players.
What most fans missed at Forum 4 was IFL acknowledged that he and Noble disagree on the route being taken. Whether it inadvertently slipped out who knows but often the most telling part when IFL speaks are the quiet sections. The grandstanding pampers to a broad section of the converted and makes them happy. IFL clearly finds it hard when people do not swallow the grandstanding which was illustrated by his reaction to Derrick Taylor.

The question mark around IFL is does he mean what he says? Forum 4 he talks about the research Wigan RLFC do on overseas players and that they are only interested in the best. Sounds good to me but does it stand up to scrutiny. Wigan RLFC believes that O’Meeley’s knees are busted. 2010 will tell us. Personally, I would argue that he has not produced any form for a long period. Wigan RLFC believes Fitzgibbon is too old. 2010 will tell us.

Do Wigan’s signings under IL stand up to that mantra?

Richard Mathers like him or loathe him A Gamble
Karl Pryce like him or loathe him A Gamble
Tim Smith like him or loathe him A gamble
Piggy – Research? Anybody with an ounce of knowledge would tell you Smith and Piggy together is asking for trouble. Research? Piggy had injury issues when we signed him and was getting outed by a rookie hooker called Keating. Anybody know when Piggy peaked? 2005 last season at St George? Maybe Piggy was cheap.
Cameron Phelps like him or loathe him A Gamble Maybe he was cheap?

Martin Gleeson Research would you sign him based on research. He can play IMO but would you make him the highest paid player at Wigan in 2010. I actually think Noble wanted Gleeson and IFL was getting desperate with the team not faring very well. It does not suit fans like Cruncher but the signing of Gleeson was very similar to Lindsay and yet Cruncher mocks that approach. Gleeson was on 150K per season at Wire. IFL went to see Gleeson and agent and asked how much will it take for you to come to Wigan, 180K Gleeson says, deal done. Not bad a 20% wage increase and a 3/3.5 year contract. We cannot pay him 180K in 2009 hence why he will get so much in 2010 and why when fans says surely we have the money to sign X player(s) We don’t to my knowledge not unless we release somebody.

Do these signings match the words of IFL?

The reality and what I think IFL will not come out and say is that we do not have the cap space to speculate in the market. Wigan RLFC under IFL inherited deals that are a noose around the neck of the club. Namely, Feka and Fielden. Since then IFL has added to that burden with Gleeson but if he delivers then maybe he is not a burden. However, the cap is not a bottomless pit and you can only sign so many big names / big contracts. If those big name / contracts do not deliver then you are playing with one arm tied behind your back. It is not a fan thing to do, so most fans pretend that everything is OK. That Feka is worth what he is paid that Fielden is still a fine prop. Worse some actually know a bit about RL (Rogues for example) and still want to pretend. If IFL did not have so much cap space already allocated to props he would go out tomorrow and sign a prop. Does anybody truly think IFL thinks Fielden has been great for Wigan. IFL / Wigan fans would love Carvell. We could not afford him and we cannot afford players that will make a huge difference. So let’s not pretend. IFL should not pretend and give the converted the flannel that makes them think otherwise.

As for Crunchers assertions re Sam Tomkins. Why on earth does MH deserve praise. Sam T had no intention of going to Union. He had no intention of leaving Wigan and for that reason Wigan got him cheap re his new contract. Myler will earn far more money and is not as good a player by a long way. His defence is poor although being a right he would be a nice partner for a left like Sam. Union clubs have always been around League players. Liam Farrell was offered far more by a Union club when he signed for Wigan as a 16 year old. He wanted to play League. He wanted to play for Wigan. Those are still 2 big drawcards for young players. We are lucky in Lancashire. In Yorkshire youngsters are signed and paid more than by the Lancashire clubs because there is a genuine bidding war takes place in Yorkshire for any talent. The biggest travesty re Sam Tomkins was that he was not allowed to play left side HB alongside Trent last season. Tommy and Higham at 9. We may have reached the GF.

Should IFL be praised for Mark Flannagan? Yes we all know his girlfriend blah blah but Wigan never discussed any new deal with him that he asked Big Frank to get him a deal in Aus. He might have stayed. Why would he though? He is an intelligent young man. It’s taken how long to get a few games. What happens in 2010. Even worse, the fans, some of them that go to every academy/reserve match swallow the duty of care garbage spouted. Had Flannagan never played in the first team and left how many fans would be saying shame he is leaving. A handful because fans are by and large gullible. If you are a regular at Orrell then please tell me any difference between Farrell and Flannagan other than age. If Flannagan can handle SL then so can Farrell. Davies / Tuson? Not far off. If some fans think Davies is not big enough for prop then play him in the second row. Does anybody think they could not handle 6, 12 games across a season. Oh let me see fans are great at convincing themselves that young players have something wrong with them. Come on hands up how many Mossop apologists there were out there before he proved you all wrong at Huddersfield.

N.B I have read on RLfans that Tuson was brought into the first team because of form. Utter garbage. Mossop played the game before and was dropped because Noble told him he played too much like a prop. So he brought Tuson in. It was a travesty how Mossop was treated in the Semi and yet there are still fans who will not dare criticise Wigan RLFC. Some fans are harder on their wife/husband/children than Wigan RLFC. How odd is that.

If you are good enough you are old enough.

Wigan has had a great youth policy for years. Forget the season Wigan signed 3 juniors. Can somebody tell me where these other youngsters were? It was a bad year. Wigan RLFC believes the present U15 age group has some gems. For every player Wigan produce for their SL there will be many many more they let go. Let nobody kid you that each age group is full of SL players for Wigan. It never has been, it never will be. What did Monie used to say? 2? I keep reading names of past players. Players leave for many reasons often totally unrelated to playing. Tickle springs to mind as one of those. Sometimes competition for a position. Radlinski / Briscoe. I often thought Flannagan v Locker would go that way.

One thing about fans and maybe some coaches is their obsession with size. Backrowers do not need to be huge. They need to be fast/powerful/agile and sometimes being shorter than the lanky second rowers can be a huge advantage. Look at many NRL backrowers these days. This game is changing and if somebody did the right thing and canvassed for the interchange to be cut in half and fatigue brought back you would see better RL and more diverse player sizes / shapes.

It’s not about whether a player is from Wigan or Australia or value for money. It is about putting the best team possible within the rules and if it is Wigan RLFC, winning. We have inherent advantages over 99% of clubs. Unless we make mistakes we should win.

As it stands IFL has won nothing yet? Is he that important? I would much rather hear Hogan / Collinson speaking for longer as these are the people doing the jobs, the people qualified. I don’t even care to see IFL on the team picture. He gets to own the most famous RFL club in the world and his % of his income that he pars for that pleasure is far far less than many of you put in as a % of your income. If IFL wants to go for a pint and let fans pat him on the back great. I hope he and the fans enjoy it. As long as he delivers a Wigan RLFC team out on the pitch.
'"

an interesting post by cpwigan over on the other forum, if this is to believed about how much gleeson is being paid add that to feka's wage and fielden then its not surprising we wont be bringing in anybody for 2010

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13936
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30366_1604259384.jpg
[color=#000000:3fno8grb]Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing. [/color:3fno8grb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30366.jpg

FWIW RE: cpwigan he has told me a completely different figure to the one he has been quoted saying on the other forum about Gleeson's wage.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20278No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

I do not understand all this moaning over something that may never happen regarding signings.

The fact that we are moaning about making no signings for 2010 halfway through the 2009 season I find bizarre.

I understand the frustration, but to condem anyone at the club prior to the 2010 squad and coaching is announced for the state of the 2010 squad seems very random.

1079 posts in 73 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
1079 posts in 73 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.72021484375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Oh when the Saints
The games af
12m
Film game
karetaker
18m
Tonights match v HKR
ninearches
23m
Bums on seats
The games af
Recent
New 4-year deal for Marshall
Phuzzy
Recent
Dewsbury away
AgbriggAmble
Recent
TV Games - Not Hull
Jake the Peg
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
WIZEB
Recent
Warrington h
MadDogg
Recent
Arthur In
chapylad
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Oh when the Saints
The games af
33s
Dewsbury away
AgbriggAmble
37s
Squad for HKR
Winslade's O
42s
Keelan Foster
AdamH
46s
Round 20 Salford away 3/8/24
Chesterrhino
57s
Arthur In
chapylad
1m
Squads - Tigers v Leopards
doc999
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Shopping list for 2025
bonaire
1m
Planning for next season
LeythIg
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Hull KR Top of the League With Stunning Win Over Warrington
RLFANS News
TODAY
York at home
phe13
TODAY
cats
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
ninearches
TODAY
New 4-year deal for Marshall
Phuzzy
TODAY
Keelan Foster
AdamH
TODAY
Jose Kenga
Wanderer
TODAY
Deadline day signings
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Prediction Competition Week 21 plus rearranged game
kaybenbull
TODAY
Panthers v Knights
terry silver
TODAY
Barrow A
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
RFL disciplinary double standards
faxcar
TODAY
5 countries tender bids to host the 2030 RLWC
RobRiches
TODAY
Jack Welsby out for 8 weeks with injury
Huddersfield
TODAY
Dewsbury away
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Josh Jones
BarnsleyGull
TODAY
Todays chairmans address
terry silver
TODAY
Mid Season fans forum
H.G.S.A
TODAY
Squad for HKR
Winslade's O
TODAY
Josh Jones
CarlB
TODAY
Lannon
faxcar
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information 3/8/24
LancashireRe
TODAY
Dons v Toulouse Saturday 10/8/24
Jemmo
TODAY
Sheffield v Dons Sunday 4/8/24 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity songs
JINJER
TODAY
Jeylon Hodgson
AdamH
TODAY
Squads - Tigers v Leopards
doc999
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Top of the League With..
Wakefield Trinity Back to Winn..
Catalans Dragons Defeat Hull F..
Salford Move Closer To Play Of..
Warrington Wolves Humiliate Wi..
Bill Arthur Rest In Peace..
Rhinos Comfortably Win Scrappy..
Battling Tigers Beat The Drago..
Hull KR Defeat Leeds In Headin..
Twelve Man Warrington Stun Sai..
2024 State of Origin - Game 3 ..
Wakefield March On With Win Ov..
Catalans Dragons Swap Places W..
KR win the Hull Derby to Into ..
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.61M 2,984 80,09114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R22
 FT
Hover 
Gold Coast
46-18
Brisbane
 FT
Hover 
Melbourne
16-18
St.George
 FT
Hover 
Cronulla
20-6
Souths
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R20
15:00
Hull FC
v
St.Helens
       Championship 2024-R20
Swinton
v
Toulouse
17:30
Salford
v
Leeds
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R22
05:00
Penrith
v
Newcastle
07:05
Canterbury
v
Canberra
     Womens Super League 2024-R10
12:00
FeatherstoneW
v
LeedsW
BarrowW
v
St.HelensW
Wire W
v
York V
WiganW
v
Hudds W
LondonB
v
Catalans
       League One 2024-R18
Keighley
v
Newcastle
Oldham
v
Midlands
Rochdale
v
Cornwall
Workington
v
Crusaders
       Championship 2024-R20
Barrow
v
Bradford
Dewsbury
v
Wakefield
Featherstone
v
Batley
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 3rd Aug
SL
Hull FC-St.Helens
SL
17:30
Salford-Leeds
Sun 4th Aug
SL
LondonB-Catalans
Thu 8th Aug
SL
20:00
St.Helens-Salford
Fri 9th Aug
SL
Huddersfield-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Castleford
Sat 10th Aug
SL
Leeds-Wigan
Sun 11th Aug
SL
Leigh-Hull FC
SL
LondonB-Warrington
Sat 17th Aug
SL
19:30
Warrington-Leeds
SL
17:00
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
14:30
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:30
Leigh-Salford
SL
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:30
Huddersfield-Castleford
Fri 23rd Aug
SL
Castleford-Warrington
SL
Leeds-Catalans
Sat 24th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Hull KR
SL
14:00
Salford-Huddersfield
Sun 25th Aug
SL
LondonB-Leigh
Sat 3rd Aug
NRL
LIVE
Gold Coast46-18Brisbane
NRL
LIVE
Melbourne16-18St.George
NRL
LIVE
Cronulla20-6Souths
Fri 2nd Aug
SL 20 Warrington4-22Hull KR
NRL 22 NZ Warriors20-30Parramatta
NRL 22 Dolphins34-40Sydney
Thu 1st Aug
SL 20 Castleford10-20Leigh
SL 20 Wigan26-14Huddersfield
NRL 22 Wests30-48NQL Cowboys
Sun 28th Jul
NRL 21 St.George10-46Penrith
NRL 21 Dolphins14-21Gold Coast
NRL 21 Canberra32-12Souths
CH 19 Batley16-22Halifax
CH 19 Doncaster37-30Barrow
CH 19 Sheffield78-24Whitehaven
CH 19 Wakefield46-18Featherstone
CH 19 Widnes25-6Bradford
CH 19 York34-4Swinton
L1 17 Newcastle34-44Cornwall
L1 17 Hunslet24-32Workington
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 20 503 259 244 30
Wigan 19 495 258 237 30
Warrington 20 502 267 235 28
Catalans 19 366 274 92 24
Salford 19 355 366 -11 24
St.Helens 19 455 256 199 22

Leeds 19 355 342 13 20
Leigh 19 392 286 106 19
Huddersfield 20 350 453 -103 14
Castleford 20 336 523 -187 13
Hull FC 19 268 566 -298 6
LondonB 19 198 725 -527 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 17 584 206 378 32
Sheffield 17 488 283 205 24
Toulouse 16 468 220 248 23
Widnes 17 410 307 103 21
Bradford 17 397 297 100 21
Doncaster 17 318 410 -92 17

York 18 428 345 83 16
Featherstone 17 440 359 81 16
Batley 17 284 366 -82 16
Swinton 17 342 422 -80 12