FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > London Broncos > Has Millwall ever been considered as an option?
220 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1050No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2012Feb 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10891_1311619204.jpg
Hellfire - bringing classic rock to the West Country. Like us on Facebook:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10891.jpg

Quote: Paddock Punter "Nah - leave that to HKA Like Henry Paul? Nice bloke, excellent signing but negligible (if any) effect on attandances.

How about Fartfreely. People would be lining up just to throw stuff at him!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8840
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9_1538946624.jpg
Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9.jpg

Quote: Jeff in Devizes "Like Henry Paul? Nice bloke, excellent signing but negligible (if any) effect on attandances.
'"

Yup, even when we had two of the most well known names in RL playing for us I doubt it had a serious affect on the gates.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2369No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30950_1311692142.jpg
Don't regret the rules I broke, when I die... [b:2ocyo9vn]BURY ME IN SMOKE[/b:2ocyo9vn]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30950.jpg

Quote: Homer "Yup, even when we had two of the most well known names in RL playing for us I doubt it had a serious affect on the gates.'"

Correct. I think it's a cutural thing down here. We need a winning team and exposure. Harlequins provide the best match day experience of any club I've been to.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1822No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34025_1447092002.png
THE ONLY WAY TO GET SMARTER IS BY PLAYING A SMARTER OPPONENT How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34025.png

Quote: The Curtism "Correct. I think it's a cutural thing down here. We need a winning team and exposure. Harlequins provide the best match day experience of any club I've been to.'"

And the matchday atmosphere used to be better, that is one of the best thing about the Stoop; ease of movement for the fans, room for the kids activities, we used to have decent post-match entertainment and half-time entertainment all the time. Now we have cheergirls who are exactly that, something that championship clubs can manage to afford, and they also manage to give the two pom poms each, not a pom per girl.

If we were to get investment into the club I believe that the matchday experience would be a relatively minor investment to return it to the level that it was at in previous years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach231No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Jun 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dave Lister "Lockyer is the greatest player I have ever seen play Rugby League. Even now, about to retire, he is the best player in the world at the moment IMO. He is certain to retire, and good for him.'"

i had the pleasure of playing alongside wally lewis as a junior
he was the king!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

Quote: the rugbyman "i had the pleasure of playing alongside wally lewis as a junior
he was the king!'"

Elvis too............ah that's where he went icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach683No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

if quins were to get a union convert, i would like to see someone the union folk could recognise and empathise with. maybe dave strettle, who played for qru, or ugo monye, someone that they would identify wiith.

what is the situation with player sharing too. it could be beneficial if some of the players who hadn't played for qru much this season could cross code and train, and maybe play for the league side

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16679.jpg
Well f**k my hat, I didn't know that! Come all without, come all within, we're London Broncos not the H********s!:16679.jpg

Quote: Guayaquil Wire "if quins were to get a union convert, i would like to see someone the union folk could recognise and empathise with. maybe dave strettle, who played for qru, or ugo monye, someone that they would identify wiith.

what is the situation with player sharing too. it could be beneficial if some of the players who hadn't played for qru much this season could cross code and train, and maybe play for the league side'"

Not aware that any player sharing has ever taken place, it was mentioned at the time of the takeover by QRU as something that might be possible but don't think it ever did. I think Strettle would have been ideal a few years ago , not only would he have been a decent bet to succeed at RL but I understand he's from Warrington and a League fan.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1271No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2983.jpg
:2983.jpg

There was some cross code training in the early days I thought - Jordan Turner-Hall for one. Other than sevens, I don't suppose it's serious for anyone in the first team or thereabouts.

RankPostsTeam
International Star135No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2012Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Top player signings will not attract crowds. If Darren Lockyer signed for Quins, i wouldnt come watch, and i live in Isleworth. I want to know im gonna get a good experience.
I do usually, but i dont feel there is any kind of presence at Quins.

Its small crowds, its quiet, its essentially a great location let down by the people within it.
This is not a personal dig, as im sure 95% of the reason is you need something to cheer about - which you havent!

BUT, you have to re-model yourselves. Set up an Ultras association, set up a co-ordinated effort to make people want to come to the Stoop. Yes they might think its an easy 2-pointer, but you guys need to be clever in why you exist.
I said a while ago you need to become a 'destination club' - one that satisfies the needs of the away fans, they all get excited about a trip to London, but their over-riding reason to be there is the rugby.

So give them a good time and more. Give them some stick, give the oppo some stick, start creating a fortress on and/or off the pitch! since my move 2 years ago ,ive been to the Stoop and boy does it seem like a few thousand disinterested people in the same place. But if you guys (regardless of the results) created something that doesnt exist in the Super league [for you to decide] then you'll be creating an additional novelty factor!
People come to London cos its a novelty factor - why should that stop the minute they park their bum on the seat at the match.

My personal recommendation - become the 'party' club which is the complete opposite of the RU version of Quins! Position yourself as the RU hating League club in the capital, and make the visiting supporters leave with the 'impression' the Quins fans are so different to the RU fans, that you actually start to earn respect from the Northerners.
Do everything that the RU fans dont, sing, dance, chant, etc etc! They need to be travelling up the M1 thinking [i'jesus - those Quins fans love their league side so much, that they didnt shut up for 80 mins even though they were getting a pasting'[/i

Just my thoughts!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2760_1608132744.jpg
[quote="king warrior":2yifc012]Dave do us a favour and gtfo you wopper[/quote:2yifc012]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2760.jpg

Ultras association at Quins icon_lol.gif

That word is so over-used nowadays.

I agrew with a lot of what you say though, especially your last paragraph.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2369No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30950_1311692142.jpg
Don't regret the rules I broke, when I die... [b:2ocyo9vn]BURY ME IN SMOKE[/b:2ocyo9vn]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30950.jpg

One of the main reasons I keep coming back to watch is the fans and the friends I've made watching Quins. Despite the results this has been the most fun following ANY club.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

It did feel like the way NorthernStar calls it once at The Stoop and also at Charlton, there was an atmosphere, it always felt like a Big Match, but it has gone.

Yes there is a loyal core but they are getting few and fewer, just think of all the many regulars when we had our first forum, at West Ham we have rough times but fans stay loyal but there is many many years of History which the name Quins RL does not have and I still feel Now the name has dragged us down and not the ground.

Marketing is useless until we get the product right off and on the pitch!

Had an email yesterday about new merchandise when I looked it was so tacky looking nothing special - thought at Upton Park we have some great gear but they are having to see some of it off now for 75% off, though you can guess which sizes are sold out! lol

I just want this season to be over and the July announcement over and done with, the RFL have handled it badly! Once we know what is happening it needs a complete fresh re think about everything concerned with the club and team, so we match the progress the same development is making.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach380No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Millwall - The Millwall ground, The New Den, ticks all the boxes, the area ticks the boxes but then theres two factors against the club; rent and image. I imagine renting out The Den just to get 3,000 in will be a poor business move and the costs going out to Millwall through rent, use of bars etc will outweigh the money going into the Rugby League side. Also, Milwall are known world over for one thing; violence. The dark days of the 80's may be behind us but there's still problems at some Millwall, especially the Leeds games and I'm sure there'd be a risk that some Millwall "fans" would turn up the day Leeds Rhinos were in town just for that. Rugby League, as we know, is a family sport and Millwall is just a bad idea.

QPR - Great place, surrounded by Antipodeans, Kiwis and South Africans. 19,100 is the official capacity for the ground, the ground is so tight to the pitch that you can hear the collisions and the slating going on, however, leg room is poor, something that could be put up with, I suppose. The ground is in close proximity to White City station and offers the "family experience". A husband and wife come down with their two kids for the weekend or even the day and Dad and lad can watch the Rugby and Mum and Daughter can go round the Westfield for the day. The only thing is do QPR want a Rugby team "ruining" their ground, Wigan Athletic FC have always had complaints about their playing surface and I'm not sure QPR would want that.

Brentford - 12,700+ capacity, experience of playing on that ground before, four pubs in close proximity, close to the motorway, just a bit far on the Tube but close by overground train. Don't know if the RFL require a certain amount of seats at the ground (?), as three sides are standing. Previously had 4,000 crowds regularly when previously played there, so it'd be a good starter.

Charlton - 27,111 attendance, so I imagine the rent is pretty high. Close by public transport. Can't see them wanting Rugby League back and I can't see it being viable playing in a 27,000 capacity ground.

Leyton Orient - The only problem is the capacity. The ground is a five minute walk from the tube station, their is a pub near the ground, two bars at the ground and their is talk that they want a 15,000 seater stadium on the Olympic site (would the RFL let the club off on that ground criteria?). Getting "in" with Barry Hearn is actually a exceptional idea. He runs his Football club like a business, he'll not give his manager money to go out and spend in the hope they go up/stay up and he's turned Darts and Snooker around. Darts is effectively a pub game and now its a atmospheric occasion with big money involved. The proximity to Stratford is also a big factor. The youth side, Hainault Bulldogs are up the road, Brentwood Elvers isn't far up the road, Skolars is a very short drive away, Tower Hamlets has been in the London RL news recently and there are Hainault, Phantoms, Mudchutes open age sides very close by.

Barnet - Too small, old ground, far from London, sloped pitch, small capacity.

I see it three ways between QPR, Brentford and Leyton Orient.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1822No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34025_1447092002.png
THE ONLY WAY TO GET SMARTER IS BY PLAYING A SMARTER OPPONENT How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34025.png

Quote: Essex Quin "Millwall - The Millwall ground, The New Den, ticks all the boxes, the area ticks the boxes but then theres two factors against the club; rent and image. I imagine renting out The Den just to get 3,000 in will be a poor business move and the costs going out to Millwall through rent, use of bars etc will outweigh the money going into the Rugby League side. Also, Milwall are known world over for one thing; violence. The dark days of the 80's may be behind us but there's still problems at some Millwall, especially the Leeds games and I'm sure there'd be a risk that some Millwall "fans" would turn up the day Leeds Rhinos were in town just for that. Rugby League, as we know, is a family sport and Millwall is just a bad idea.

QPR - Great place, surrounded by Antipodeans, Kiwis and South Africans. 19,100 is the official capacity for the ground, the ground is so tight to the pitch that you can hear the collisions and the slating going on, however, leg room is poor, something that could be put up with, I suppose. The ground is in close proximity to White City station and offers the "family experience". A husband and wife come down with their two kids for the weekend or even the day and Dad and lad can watch the Rugby and Mum and Daughter can go round the Westfield for the day. The only thing is do QPR want a Rugby team "ruining" their ground, Wigan Athletic FC have always had complaints about their playing surface and I'm not sure QPR would want that.

Brentford - 12,700+ capacity, experience of playing on that ground before, four pubs in close proximity, close to the motorway, just a bit far on the Tube but close by overground train. Don't know if the RFL require a certain amount of seats at the ground (?), as three sides are standing. Previously had 4,000 crowds regularly when previously played there, so it'd be a good starter.

Charlton - 27,111 attendance, so I imagine the rent is pretty high. Close by public transport. Can't see them wanting Rugby League back and I can't see it being viable playing in a 27,000 capacity ground.

Leyton Orient - The only problem is the capacity. The ground is a five minute walk from the tube station, their is a pub near the ground, two bars at the ground and their is talk that they want a 15,000 seater stadium on the Olympic site (would the RFL let the club off on that ground criteria?). Getting "in" with Barry Hearn is actually a exceptional idea. He runs his Football club like a business, he'll not give his manager money to go out and spend in the hope they go up/stay up and he's turned Darts and Snooker around. Darts is effectively a pub game and now its a atmospheric occasion with big money involved. The proximity to Stratford is also a big factor. The youth side, Hainault Bulldogs are up the road, Brentwood Elvers isn't far up the road, Skolars is a very short drive away, Tower Hamlets has been in the London RL news recently and there are Hainault, Phantoms, Mudchutes open age sides very close by.

Barnet - Too small, old ground, far from London, sloped pitch, small capacity.

I see it three ways between QPR, Brentford and Leyton Orient.'"

Does anyone know how much we were paying at Brentford, how much other stadiums will cost and how much we will be paying at the Stoop for the next three years?

220 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
220 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

7.13427734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Ex-Swarcliff
3m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
4m