JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Paddock Punter "We agree to differ. It's in a suburban desert 15 mins walk from a tube station.'"

I suspect that there are as many trains passing through Twickenham station every day as tube trains passing through cannons park every day. Twickenham is most definitely served by more bus routes than the new location.

Meliferra won't have a bad word said about AK and the Hive, RLLND won't have a negative word said about the "new dawn" and Bees Knees repeatedly says "no fans, no broncos".
Combine these 3 additions to the forum with the set of usual apologists such as PC Plum and Jaybs and you really do get the impression that this club is already dead in the water if this is indicative of the future laid out for us by Hughes and MacKay.

I wonder what positives this lot will come up with on Saturday evening at about 5pm....

RankPostsTeam
International Star398No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"People use statistics the way a drunk uses a lamp post - for support not illumination":

Quote: gutterfax "I suspect that there are as many trains passing through Twickenham station every day as tube trains passing through cannons park every day. Twickenham is most definitely served by more bus routes than the new location.

Meliferra won't have a bad word said about AK and the Hive, RLLND won't have a negative word said about the "new dawn" and Bees Knees repeatedly says "no fans, no broncos".
Combine these 3 additions to the forum with the set of usual apologists such as PC Plum and Jaybs and you really do get the impression that this club is already dead in the water if this is indicative of the future laid out for us by Hughes and MacKay.

I wonder what positives this lot will come up with on Saturday evening at about 5pm....'"

I have no problem with you having a pop the Hive or TK. TK is no angel, the Hive has been described as souless and a bit like going to a leisure centre by a few home and away fans.

I'm sure some fans will have a longer journey and some shorter, can't really blame the Hive or the Stoop for that (I think you've amply targeted those that decided you should move already).

I really don't know about the stoop as I've never been but if I use internet directions for walking from Twickenham station to the Stoop it comes back as 14min, is there a quicker route than down the suburban road that is Craneford way?

The Hive is opposite Canons Park Tube, I mean directly opposite. Cross the road and you enter the grounds. Admittedly you then have a 5-10 min walk past football training pitches but distance wise to the turnstyles looks about the same to me.

It's not really a surprise that Bronco fans south of the Thames don't like the Hive as they now have to go into central London and then come back out. It's also no surprise that fans North of the Thames are happier with the journey. We've been over this on another thread.

I'm sure you can make plenty of arguments for against travel to the Stoop\Hive depending on where you live. Looking at it from a RL point of view I would be guessing that being within 10 min of the M1 motorway and 10 min of Wembley Stadium is a big plus for RL fans, but it is very sad that the fanbase built up based on the Twickenham location have been negatively affected.

I'm certainly not going to analyse trains\tubes\buses per minute to see which wins the most connected contest. Hive benefits from tube access via Jubilee and Northern lines (Edgware Station 20 min walk), Stoop benefits from Trains that travel from London heading Southwest.

RankPostsTeam
International Star398No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"People use statistics the way a drunk uses a lamp post - for support not illumination":

Quote: Paddock Punter "We agree to differ. It's in a suburban desert 15 mins walk from a tube station.'"

Stoop is 15 min walk to a train station. You walk down zero residential streets to get to the Hive.

Twickenham is nice place with decent restuarants\pubs (miles better than whats around the Hive) but distance wise from Trains\Tubes you would be hard pressed to claim the Hive is further away from public transport than the Stoop.

If you do decide to come to the Hive then Edgware central has a fair number of restaurants etc or a couple of tube stops for Stanmore\Kingsbury\Wembley. Personally I'm happy with the food and drink available in the Hive bar.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4438_1358277234.jpg
Didn't gat an answer when I asked Radford how much he paid Stokes to save his job.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4438.jpg

I have been to the Hive twice, middle of North London suburbia with naff all in the area. Nice little ground though, shame it's not big enough for a proper rugby league pitch.

RankPostsTeam
International Star398No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Paddock Punter "I have been to the Hive twice, middle of North London suburbia with naff all in the area. Nice little ground though, shame it's not big enough for a proper rugby league pitch.'"

Then I'm surprised you highlight the walking distance from the tube?
The length of the pitch may change when the North stand is put in (due to be this summer). If this is to be a long term home for Broncos then it would make sense to do it as part of removing the terrace.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach991No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Have we taken bets yet on which member of The Hive staff meliferra is? I'm assuming it's not actually Tony Kleanthouse.

TMF
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach633
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Dec 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17719.jpg
:17719.jpg

The conversation has moved on a bit but if it's still relevant I'll answer anyway;

Quote: leedsleedsleeds "interesting stat about the 40,000 students who were the recipients of rugby league lessons.

I have 2 questions that you or others may know the answer to.

1. Was this during pe lessons or after school?
2. Of those 40,000 did any ever play for the broncos or play in super league?
3. I wonder how many played for rugby league clubs out of school as a hobby'"

1 - The lot. Primary, secondary, FE, HE, community club. All schools/FE delivery was to promote sign-up at local community clubs. Same sort of thing that goes on at every pro club community trust.
2 - Quite a few. Jamie O'Callaghan, Olsi Krasniqi, Mike McMeeken, Erjon Dollapi and a few others are all products of the West London development work. It's not 40k people who can or will ever play Super League though, so that's not a bad return. A 7-year-old in 2010 will still only be 11, so is unlikely to play this season. Likewise the girls, students, disability groups and standard amateur-club level kids won't ever get near a SL shirt. It's about getting people knowing about - and playing - the game. The performance pathway then got the right ones to SL level.
3. Again, quite a few. All the kids playing in West London & Surrey benefited from this work in some way. Even if they didn't directly have a schools session, love it and join the local club then the local club was assisted by, their coaches supported by, and in some cases clubs and teams administrated or coached by Broncos people.

Quote: leedsleedsleeds "So you would expect to see a burgeoning junior rugby league scene in SW London ? Do you think this is the case'"

It was burgeoning, now it's dwindling. Of the current W London clubs, Staines Titans, Richmond Warriors, Elmbridge Eagles, Guildford Giants were all heavily supported, and in some cases run, by the Broncos over the last few years. Most of their teams, if not entire clubs, would not have existed if it wasn't for Broncos development work.

RankPostsTeam
International Star398No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: nadera78 "Have we taken bets yet on which member of The Hive staff meliferra is? I'm assuming it's not actually Tony Kleanthouse.'"

I never have and never will be on the payroll of the Hive.

I do not want Barnet Fc playing at the Hive and I am heavily involved in the Back2Barnet campaign to get us out of there and back home asap.

While we are there I will make the best of it. My long term hope is that in 10 years time you and Wealdstone Fc are very happy together there.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1294No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2021Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23122.gif
:23122.gif

Quote: TMF "It was burgeoning, now it's dwindling. Of the current W London clubs, Staines Titans, Richmond Warriors, Elmbridge Eagles, Guildford Giants were all heavily supported, and in some cases run, by the Broncos over the last few years. Most of their teams, if not entire clubs, would not have existed if it wasn't for Broncos development work.'"

Agreed.

In my experience, the DOs did practically everything in a junior club but largely not development, ie put in place a sustainable entity, run by others. It's not unique to SW London, once the DO funding dried up and the DO moved on, it wasn't a case of the junior club having a minor blip and then business as usual, it was more catastrophic.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3678No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9272_1327693385.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9272.jpg

It is interesting to read this TMF as iv'e always said how important the LB were to the development of the game down here not only for the interaction at local level but also as a pathway to a career but other posters (especially up North)don't buy it and say RL will continue to thrive even when the LB are no more. You seem to be confirming my worst fears.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6035No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11371.gif
:11371.gif

Quote: meliferra "I never have and never will be on the payroll of the Hive.

I do not want Barnet Fc playing at the Hive and I am heavily involved in the Back2Barnet campaign to get us out of there and back home asap.

While we are there I will make the best of it. My long term hope is that in 10 years time you and Wealdstone Fc are very happy together there.'"

Genuine question, why don't you just embrace the fact you have a very nice modern compact stadium with excellent facilities only a few miles away from the border of Barnet? It seems ridiculous that fans are unhappy, especially in a city like London where planning permission is v difficult and land prices are immense.

If you supported a provincial town club and they built an out of town stadium that would be ok so what's the difference? Ok it's a different borough but its your stadium, in your colours and only down the road. Id be grateful, especially looking at the stat of Underhill, which is probably the worst pro soccer stadium I've ever been to.

RankPostsTeam
International Star398No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Tre Cool "Genuine question, why don't you just embrace the fact you have a very nice modern compact stadium with excellent facilities only a few miles away from the border of Barnet? It seems ridiculous that fans are unhappy, especially in a city like London where planning permission is v difficult and land prices are immense.

If you supported a provincial town club and they built an out of town stadium that would be ok so what's the difference? Ok it's a different borough but its your stadium, in your colours and only down the road. Id be grateful, especially looking at the stat of Underhill, which is probably the worst pro soccer stadium I've ever been to.'"

Underhill is our natural home. I'm not saying I want to return to Underhill as it is now but while we hold the freehold to the ground and the area south of the stadium is being considered for removal from greenbelt then I will support the campaign to have a new stadium included in any development that takes place.
Bizarrely it is harder for Barnet FC to have a future at the hive than it is Broncos. The lease prevents use of the stadium for league 2 football and above but places no restriction on other sports so at present it is a pretty trap and not a future for us.

If the lease restriction is lifted and we are forced to sell underhill without getting a new stadium then I will probably swallow it and reluctantly accept the Hive as our future home.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6035No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11371.gif
:11371.gif

Quote: meliferra "Underhill is our natural home. I'm not saying I want to return to Underhill as it is now but while we hold the freehold to the ground and the area south of the stadium is being considered for removal from greenbelt then I will support the campaign to have a new stadium included in any development that takes place.
Bizarrely it is harder for Barnet FC to have a future at the hive than it is Broncos. The lease prevents use of the stadium for league 2 football and above but places no restriction on other sports so at present it is a pretty trap and not a future for us.

If the lease restriction is lifted and we are forced to sell underhill without getting a new stadium then I will probably swallow it and reluctantly accept the Hive as our future home.'"

Surely that can be challenged though? How can you have a SL rugby team playing there but not allow a L2 soccer side to play? Doesn't make any sense.

TMF
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach633
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2017Dec 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17719.jpg
:17719.jpg

Quote: PC Plum "Agreed.

In my experience, the DOs did practically everything in a junior club but largely not development, ie put in place a sustainable entity, run by others. It's not unique to SW London, once the DO funding dried up and the DO moved on, it wasn't a case of the junior club having a minor blip and then business as usual, it was more catastrophic.'"

That's about right. Southall Vikings, New Malden Magpies, Southall Saints and a few others were all the result of funding bids to get DOs in place, who then started clubs entirely reliant on them to continuation. With other areas of London it was a similar story.

There was a culture of dependency from community clubs on London region - including Broncos - employed staff, but the other edge of the sword was that without the staff the clubs would have either never started or folded straight away.

The ones that remain in West London are the result of a change of tactics by the Broncos Foundation in 2010, when DOs were told to stop running the clubs and instead were focus on making them sustainable when the inevitable Sport England funding cuts came in March 2013.

The ones that remain are strong enough for now, but they were always fed by a strong local schools competition and the presence and support of a local professional club. It remains to be seen how they will continue.

In forum terms, this is what is called 'thread drift'. Sorry!

RankPostsTeam
International Star398No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Tre Cool "Surely that can be challenged though? How can you have a SL rugby team playing there but not allow a L2 soccer side to play? Doesn't make any sense.'"

when the lease was drawn up it was intended that Wealdstone FC and Edgware Town FC would play there and the condition was put in place to prevent Barnet FC moving in. Now it just looks wierd as Barnet are no longer a league club. I agree The Hive could take it to court if it prevented Barnet gaining promotion but it would be costly and not do us any favours in terms of local relations.
I don't think the people who drew up the lease ever considered that RL or professional womens football would be played in the stadium.

100 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
100 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.32763671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
5m
Film game
Boss Hog
18m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
31m
Rumours thread
Khlav Kalash
39m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
Recent
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
Recent
Planning for next season
Jack Gaskell
Recent
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
Recent
Leigh it is
Warrior Wing
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Leigh it is
Warrior Wing
57s
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
1m
Man of Steel
MorePlaymake
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
karetaker
2m
Former players
Jemmo
3m
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
3m
Whitehaven Away
the fax in a
3m
Film game
Boss Hog
3m
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
karetaker
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
Warrior Wing
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
TODAY
Must do better
Wires71
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,134 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22