FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > London Broncos > Has Millwall ever been considered as an option?
220 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1822No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34025_1447092002.png
THE ONLY WAY TO GET SMARTER IS BY PLAYING A SMARTER OPPONENT How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34025.png

Quote: jaybs "Londo06

I also have nothing against The Stoop, but we have to accept and admit it is not working this time around, first time it did, now what has gone wrong?, the game has developed great strides with young player development, but we have gone down, is it the name? it most likely is, along with the on pitch performances, Fact is it's simply not working, we can bury our head in the sands but all that is going to happen is we have no London RL club at all!

Something has to be done and quickly, if we do get a licence we can't continue like this and the RFL accept that as well, it may be out of our hands that a change name will mean a new ground, then Let it Be! but it has to be completely researched.'"

I think people are massively overestimating the amount of adults who are interested in multi-skilled sports that aren't football. We have turned off a massive section of those interested in attending sporting events because Harlequins RL has become synonymous with poor crowds at the Stoop and an uncompetitive team in the Super League.

We are making strides off the field throughout London and the south-east, and quite simply a better roster or a massively over-achieving team would see people who are interested in sport, rather than the sport turn up at the Stoop, as long as they are told that Quins are selling themselves; a hell of alot easier to do when you are winning than when you are not, as Saracens and Harlequins rugby union can attest to.

I believe David Hughes is both sticking with the Stoop at the moment and waiting to twist, and that twist is another investor that will either see us continue at the Stoop and drift or ramp up with a cash injection. The other option on the twist is for that investor to move us away from the Stoop and rebrand.

A comprehensive questionnaire of those interested in the game, with those completing the survey getting free match tickets would be worthwhile.

It is by no means guaranteed that Wakefield are the team to go down to the Championship, I hope for our sake that someone or a group of investors can share some of the burden currently carried by David Hughes.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5087
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1428_1671282854.png
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-HziERgfk:p2kbb0c5]Gus Mackay we salute you!![/url:p2kbb0c5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1428.png

Quote: Londo06 "I believe David Hughes is both sticking with the Stoop at the moment and waiting to twist, and that twist is another investor that will either see us continue at the Stoop and drift or ramp up with a cash injection. The other option on the twist is for that investor to move us away from the Stoop and rebrand.
'"

I tend to agree, I suspect the only reason for us to move or rename is if it is associated with additional investment. Looking at the stats, I don't think that our name or location are a major factor in us attracting crowds. I think having a decent team is a much bigger factor but without investment that isn't going to happen. Also lets not lose sight of the fact that we will need to have a competitive team to retain any key talent we develop.

I wonder sometimes whether things would be different if the franchise system was not in place. The threat of relegation would make things more interesting at least.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2453
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11060_1286462910.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11060.jpeg

People will think i'm crazy to say this but....

One place I think would be great but it will never happen as there would be no chance of building stands either temp or full time would be the HAC
Artillery Ground. Great location plenty of land but no chance of building.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member429
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jaybs "Londo06

I also have nothing against The Stoop, but we have to accept and admit it is not working this time around, first time it did, now what has gone wrong?, the game has developed great strides with young player development, but we have gone down, is it the name? it most likely is, along with the on pitch performances, Fact is it's simply not working, we can bury our head in the sands but all that is going to happen is we have no London RL club at all!

Something has to be done and quickly, if we do get a licence we can't continue like this and the RFL accept that as well, it may be out of our hands that a change name will mean a new ground, then Let it Be! but it has to be completely researched.'"

The first time round, we had a team that was winning.

People will come an watch a winning team.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach477No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45332.png
www.combatstress.org.uk - "They fight ours wars. We fight their battles":45332.png

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: The Lambeth Quin "[size
Total capacity[/size

Does not meet Superleague Capacity criteria. End of discussion.'"

Except it does really doesn't it , its just that the RFL have made a rod for their own back by putting stadium criteria too high on the list of what clubs really need

It would be better to have a club filling a dilapidated 8,500 stadium that belonged to them or was able to make a good income for them , than having a club playing in a council or non income stadium with 20,000 seats and 4/5,000 in it and a flat atmosphere

Clubs need income first and foremost , fans want atmosphere and options first and foremost

The RFL just dont understand what makes a good sustainable club

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1822No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34025_1447092002.png
THE ONLY WAY TO GET SMARTER IS BY PLAYING A SMARTER OPPONENT How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34025.png

Quote: Starbug "Except it does really doesn't it , its just that the RFL have made a rod for their own back by putting stadium criteria too high on the list of what clubs really need

It would be better to have a club filling a dilapidated 8,500 stadium that belonged to them or was able to make a good income for them , than having a club playing in a council or non income stadium with 20,000 seats and 4/5,000 in it and a flat atmosphere

Clubs need income first and foremost , fans want atmosphere and options first and foremost

The RFL just dont understand what makes a good sustainable club'"

I would much rather that a London team played in a stadium of around 10k and aim to fill that, rather than having a 1/4 full 14k stadium, but the Stoop provides good facilities across the board and I would much rather stay there and fill it, however I just can't see us making that quantum leap forward any time soon.

I believe the RFL would be willing to accept a sub 10k ground if it were fully researched, a viable and sustainable stadium (a decent length of time on the lease) and modern facilities for all. The Stoop ticks all the boxes on the facilities front and we shouldn't move unless we are forced to or we find somewhere better for a good length of time.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 398625.stm

It is however a moot point as Hughes stated earlier this year "(the Stoop) That's our stadium for the three years,"
Quote: Starbug "Except it does really doesn't it , its just that the RFL have made a rod for their own back by putting stadium criteria too high on the list of what clubs really need

The RFL just dont understand what makes a good sustainable club'"

I would much rather that a London team played in a stadium of around 10k and aim to fill that, rather than having a 1/4 full 14k stadium, but the Stoop provides good facilities across the board and I would much rather stay there and fill it, however I just can't see us making that quantum leap forward any time soon.

I believe the RFL would be willing to accept a sub 10k ground if it were fully researched, a viable and sustainable stadium (a decent length of time on the lease) and modern facilities for all. The Stoop ticks all the boxes on the facilities front and we shouldn't move unless we are forced to or we find somewhere better for a good length of time.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 398625.stm

It is however a moot point as Hughes stated earlier this year "(the Stoop) That's our stadium for the three years,"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1814No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think one point that needs to be emphasised here is that the vast majority of Londoners don't actually seem to recognise the fact that London has a Super League side. Our results are never carried on BBC London TV News or London Tonight. When we were London Broncos, people kept mistaking us for an American Football Team. The RFL need to jump in here and put a far larger amount of money in to boost awareness of both Harlequins RL AND London Skolars - boost awareness, combine with more offers such as the Evening Standard, and also the rather excellent suggestion that Martyn Sadler made in RL Express yesterday - RFL help to bring in a worldwide RL star to play for the club and use him in the club's marketing strategy which would be on the tube, buses and main line around London - he suggests a certain Darren Lockyer.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1822No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34025_1447092002.png

Quote: Surreyben "I think one point that needs to be emphasised here is that the vast majority of Londoners don't actually seem to recognise the fact that London has a Super League side. Our results are never carried on BBC London TV News or London Tonight. When we were London Broncos, people kept mistaking us for an American Football Team. The RFL need to jump in here and put a far larger amount of money in to boost awareness of both Harlequins RL AND London Skolars - boost awareness, combine with more offers such as the Evening Standard, and also the rather excellent suggestion that Martyn Sadler made in RL Express yesterday - RFL help to bring in a worldwide RL star to play for the club and use him in the club's marketing strategy which would be on the tube, buses and main line around London - he suggests a certain Darren Lockyer.'"

Put the Super League show in there as well.

London Tonight I can understand, they have no interest in promoting a sport that isn't shown on the dippy channel. I've seen BBC London TV do bits on the amateur side of the game and the angle was pretty much 'wow there really is an amateur game, who knew'

It really doesn't take five seconds to say Harlequins lost to Warrington the Super League, especially as they do all the local professional football and rugby union results.

No to Lockyer, nothing against the player, just the idea that someone no-one outside rugby league has heard of will automatically sell out crowds. A St Helens Jamie Lyon style signing would help, armed with five or six quality players would have a few people interested in sport in general going London has got a rugby league team and their not bad. Snowballs from there. Nothing against Darren Lockyer, but he seems pretty set on retiring. I would rather have Petero Civoniceva, Darrell and Josh Griffin, David Solomona and Rangi Chase as total random signings to boost the club and say we have punch, we have Southerners in our squad, we have flair and we have the best creative player in the Super League. We'd be exiting, we'd challenge in every game and for the play-offs and we'd be under the salary cap with several additional players, rather than one marquee player who could get injured in the first minute of play.

BTW those players were chosen totally of the top of my head, I realise that we stand very little chance of attracting those players, unless.....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1814No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Mate, I know exactly where you're coming from there!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2760_1608132744.jpg
[quote="king warrior":2yifc012]Dave do us a favour and gtfo you wopper[/quote:2yifc012]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2760.jpg

Lockyer is the greatest player I have ever seen play Rugby League. Even now, about to retire, he is the best player in the world at the moment IMO. He is certain to retire, and good for him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Londo06 "
No to Lockyer, nothing against the player, just the idea that someone no-one outside rugby league has heard of will automatically sell out crowds. unless.....'"

Then surely the answer is to follow the Crusaders lead

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4438_1358277234.jpg
Didn't gat an answer when I asked Radford how much he paid Stokes to save his job.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4438.jpg

Quote: Starbug "Then surely the answer is to follow the Crusaders lead'"

Nah - leave that to HKA icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg

Quote: Paddock Punter "Nah - leave that to HKA
I meant try to pull in a well known union convert like they have with Mr Thomas

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16679.jpg
Well f**k my hat, I didn't know that! Come all without, come all within, we're London Broncos not the H********s!:16679.jpg

Quote: Starbug "I meant try to pull in a well known union convert like they have with Mr Thomas'"

Who do you reckon then? Any chance of gettting Ashton to return to RL ? We'd be more likely to end up with the likes of 'Tango' Henson!!

220 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
220 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.44677734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
IMG
The Reaper
13m
Recruitment rumours and links
Uncle Rico
14m