FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > London Broncos > Has Millwall ever been considered as an option?
220 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3934No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017Jun 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

you know when we moved to the stoop, it was a new start, it meant we could build a home and some roots
IT DOES HAVE A BLOODY TRAIN STATION on a line from central london, it has decent road link what else can we ask for?
Take us to Saaaarf London! and its a nightmare to get to, take us to North London what do we gain? smaller stadium! the stoop is a marvelous stadium why oh why do we want to move
Look at the spread of our fan base! take it to millwall coz it workign class! errr why would hard core football supporters suddenly decide to watch football

Madness this thread

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Londo06 "

Not the same, but similar, no?'"

No icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2369No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30950_1311692142.jpg
Don't regret the rules I broke, when I die... [b:2ocyo9vn]BURY ME IN SMOKE[/b:2ocyo9vn]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30950.jpg

I like the Stoop. A lot.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4438_1358277234.jpg
Didn't gat an answer when I asked Radford how much he paid Stokes to save his job.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4438.jpg

Quote: mickyb1234 "you know when we moved to the stoop, it was a new start, it meant we could build a home and some roots
IT DOES HAVE A BLOODY TRAIN STATION on a line from central london, it has decent road link what else can we ask for?
Take us to Saaaarf London! and its a nightmare to get to, take us to North London what do we gain? smaller stadium! the stoop is a marvelous stadium why oh why do we want to move
Look at the spread of our fan base! take it to millwall coz it workign class! errr why would hard core football supporters suddenly decide to watch football

Madness this thread'"

Wot he said eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2369No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30950_1311692142.jpg
Don't regret the rules I broke, when I die... [b:2ocyo9vn]BURY ME IN SMOKE[/b:2ocyo9vn]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_30950.jpg

I believe we'll be at the Stoop for at least another 3 years.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8840
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9_1538946624.jpg
Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9.jpg

Quote: Starbug "Have you ever considered moving up to Leigh ?
As I think you would be aware, Mr self advert considered an approach from that direction the season he decided we were no longer the right kind of train set for his nipper icon_wink.gif York tabled a bid as well.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Homer "As I think you would be aware.'"

YOU DON'T SAY icon_eek.gif
I thought it was a genuine question icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12169No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10696_1330181301.jpg
london RL: scraping the barrel:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10696.jpg

In my capacity as a Mod I have half a mind to lock this thread. Park Royal? Leyton Orient? Barnet? These are all terrible suggestions!!!

The consensus appears to be The Stoop is nice, but doesn't work unless we have a Lenagan-esque investor on board. As if Leyton Orient somehow works without that magical element. This is madness. We have a long-standing association with South West London - a fruitful link-up with St Mary's College, and good relationships with schools in Elmbridge, Kingston, Surrey etc. The club make quite a show of this on their website bigging up the Year 9 mini-tournaments etc. How many schools play rugby league in Leyton? Are there any roots or connection to rugby league in East London at all? It is fanciful. Oh and regardless of his business success, I would think twice before getting into bed with Barry Hearn - he's always struck me as a slippery character.

Let's move to Millwall then, to connect to the working-class. Except, LMS apart, they don't seem to have shown much interest in league. They're football people, through and through. If we moved to Millwall we'd die on our .

People are unhappy with the current state of affairs. I get it. But IMO leaving the stoop, changing our name, that is not moving up, that is not even moving sideways - that is making things worse. We can only forge an identity as a professional London club if we actually stick with a ground and a name for more than five minutes FFS.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: The Penguin "In my capacity as a Mod I have half a mind to lock this thread. '"

icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4438_1358277234.jpg
Didn't gat an answer when I asked Radford how much he paid Stokes to save his job.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4438.jpg

Quote: Starbug "Basically you're fooked if you stay , and you're fooked if you move , I'd say you're fooked
Not if Gutters gets to be in charge!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8840
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9_1538946624.jpg
Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9.jpg

From what I can see there are good valid reasons behind the thinking about a move that the board must be considering [even if everything was rosy, items such as this always need to be considered and discussed]

When we moved back to the Stoop it was a partners, that is not the case anymore in the true sense of the word, we are back to where we were in '99 as ground renters, with all associated costs. Couple that with decreasing gates and it's throwing money down the drain season after season. Even with any increased gate vs marketing spend, it does not alter the fact that we are tenants with no opportunity to increase revenue outside of game days.

Should we move? ideal world no, facilities are great, but no chance of anybody coming on board to invest because there is no return on that investment while at the Stoop under current terms, so what other choices do the board have?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner33944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9005.jpg
kcab sfrawdder Luck is a combination of preparation and opportunity Just to avoid confusion Starbug is the username of Steven Pike SOMEBODY SAID that it couldn’t be done But he with a chuckle replied That “maybe it couldn’t,” but he would be one Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried. So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin On his face. If he worried he hid it. He started to sing as he tackled the thing That couldn’t be done, and he did it!:9005.jpg

Quote: Homer "From what I can see there are good valid reasons behind the thinking about a move that the board must be considering [even if everything was rosy, items such as this always need to be considered and discussed]

When we moved back to the Stoop it was a partners, that is not the case anymore in the true sense of the word, we are back to where we were in '99 as ground renters, with all associated costs. Couple that with decreasing gates and it's throwing money down the drain season after season. Even with any increased gate vs marketing spend, it does not alter the fact that we are tenants with no opportunity to increase revenue outside of game days.

Should we move? ideal world no, facilities are great, but no chance of anybody coming on board to invest because there is no return on that investment while at the Stoop under current terms, so what other choices do the board have?'"

So you are in a similar position to Leigh at the LSV , great isn't it ? icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1822No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34025_1447092002.png
THE ONLY WAY TO GET SMARTER IS BY PLAYING A SMARTER OPPONENT How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34025.png

Quote: The Penguin "The consensus appears to be The Stoop is nice, but doesn't work unless we have a Lenagan-esque investor on board....

...People are unhappy with the current state of affairs. I get it. But IMO leaving the stoop, changing our name, that is not moving up, that is not even moving sideways - that is making things worse. We can only forge an identity as a professional London club if we actually stick with a ground and a name for more than five minutes FFS.'"

I think some of thought that the club was growing at a nice pace with two affluent people covering the clubs losses associated with the running costs incurred due to having insufficient crowds to make ends meet. There seemed a decent balance between marketing, player investment and ruining what was two mens own personal wealth.

It feels doubly bad to lose to Salford with a limp performance when there are less than 2000 fans in the ground, I think there is a real sense in some fans that we are slipping on a slippery slope and that doing nothing with the name and ground, coupled with a lack of investment in the playing staff and still no sign of an external investor means that the club is down to its core 1500 fans, and that things can only continue to get worse. Now I believe that the core group would stay for Harlequins RL at the Stoop in Super League so from that point of view we have bottomed out, these 1500 are the core and away support is very noticeably down. Unless we hit Mad Max times with the economy things will not get worse.

They can however get better; with another investor to add their weight to the heavy burden that (Sir) David Hughes carries in actually underwriting the club to actually keep it going. He cannot do that forever, and our current av. 3k gates only just allow us to go to the Championship cap after paying rent on the Stoop, never mind office and matchday staff, academy, community activities and marketing.

The decision may be taken from our hands, not from the RFL who seem determined to not become a regional sport, but by David Hughes, it is his club and he can take it wherever he likes. I would welcome anyone onboard, even to return us to a solid platform and the aims under Lenagan and Hughes. If we stick and no-one comes in then Hughes is not obligated to stay as underwriter, moving grounds would not help this situation, but it does seem clear that Harlequins RL are not an investment that there is interest in, the name stinks of poor crowds and a weak team, and that has nothing to do with the kit we wear at the minute. A rebranding and move would help alleviate this, but would only further devalue the brand of London RLFC.

Lenagan style investor to come and board and the two people at the helm can choose where they want the club to play and under what name. No investor and the club will bleed David Hughes dry and we will end up with a team of Londoners on the national average wage. I like the Stoop and a move is not the magic wand, so lets hope that with Britain producing more millionaires than it has ever produced that someone at the RFL can introduce them to the club, someone can catch a glimpse of the game for the first time on Sky or the beeb, or maybe someone just wants to play football manager for real, and with soccer being the billionaires pursuit, maybe the second most domestic sport in this country can be the benefactor.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Londo06

I also have nothing against The Stoop, but we have to accept and admit it is not working this time around, first time it did, now what has gone wrong?, the game has developed great strides with young player development, but we have gone down, is it the name? it most likely is, along with the on pitch performances, Fact is it's simply not working, we can bury our head in the sands but all that is going to happen is we have no London RL club at all!

Something has to be done and quickly, if we do get a licence we can't continue like this and the RFL accept that as well, it may be out of our hands that a change name will mean a new ground, then Let it Be! but it has to be completely researched.

220 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
220 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.11279296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squad for London
MorePlaymake
7m
bulls on Sunday
Tony Fax
7m