JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Quote: PTB "

You've explained it like it is a simple cause and effect relationship. Lose the Harlequins name and colours and watch us reach our full potential! It is hardly that clear cut.

To suggest the Harlequins name has in any way contributed towards our current predicament is flawed as the club hasn't been successful or attracted the level of support to be viable entity under any of its previous guises. To say it has been an "anchor" is bordering on disingenuous.

The reason people don't flock to our games isn't because we are Harlequins. The reason is because for years on and off field performances have been poor. There were never any glory years, just glimpses of light.'"

That is your opinion PTB and I fully respect it, but I still strongly disagree, those years or seasons what you call as "glimpses of light" were much better than the dark last few seasons as Quins!

I hold my hands up and say I was all for the change to being named Harlequins RL, but now I see it was the totally wrong decision. I felt we would gain corporate benefits, which was never the case and in the end we were always the poor cousins and are still looked at in that way, that is the heavy Anchor around our necks and I stand by it. The Stoop I also accept worked first time around but not this time. The answer has to be our own ground or sharing as co-owners, were we will have income streams other than gate receipts.

But we are getting close to the last spin of the dice in London, not enough people will see Truth and it is not just here in the Capital but even the M62 heartlands it is No Longer the Greatest Game, Dave mentions Leeds and their attendances are not great, and you also need to look no further than St Helens, it was always a risk playing a season at Widnes, but is is only a few miles down the road and last weekend 6,500 was well under the average 7,000 they seem to be stuck with, add to that the £1,650 million last season in the accounts just released, that is not a thriving concern. Sadly it only Sky that is propping up out game and each and every club is living well beyond their means! I have said it for a long time but are we only a semi professional game?

Our aim

RankPostsTeam
International Star2259No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59709_1306485067.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59709.jpg

GF to recoup 250K what would you estimate the crowd would need to grow by? Im sure there is more to it than simple maths around tickets ie beer, tops, food etc

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12169No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10696_1330181301.jpg
london RL: scraping the barrel:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10696.jpg

Quote: PTB "The club hasn't ever to my knowledge executed an "intense" marketing campaign. So we don't know how well it would work. There's no reason to suggest that a successful, well marketed Harlequins Rugby League club wouldn't be as appealing as a successful, well marketed All New London Broncos 2012 RLFC (or whatever we are called next).

I could say it might stand a better chance as Harlequins Ruby League is associated both with the sport we play (Rugby League) and our location (Quins

Once again PTB demonstrates a rational, well-thought out and coherent argument.

Please desist from this course of action PTB, you're making the likes of Jaybs look bad. You can say the word 'anchor' as much as you like, it doesn't make your ramblings any more sensible.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7631
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1718.jpg
:1718.jpg

The club has decided, once again, to change its name. Some will like it, some will not, but, just like the change to the Harlequins name, it's going to happen. We're all going to have to accept that and either like it or lump it. Canute-like arguing against it will change nothing unless somebody would care to back their arguments with a few million quid.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Quote: The Penguin "Once again PTB demonstrates a rational, well-thought out and coherent argument.

Please desist from this course of action PTB, you're making the likes of Jaybs look bad. You can say the word 'anchor' as much as you like, it doesn't make your ramblings any more sensible.'"

LOL - what a Big Boy you are, my ramblings as you call them are as relevant as anyone's opinion! I find it funny how you like to stick together in your numbers, is it your gang?

Like what BroncOnIon says, I voiced my opinion on the future of the club but unlike some here I would have accepted whatever decision was made and would not have thrown my dummy out of the pram like some seem to be doing!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8840
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Jan 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9_1538946624.jpg
Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9.jpg

Quote: jaybs "LOL - what a Big Boy you are, my ramblings as you call them are as relevant as anyone's opinion! I find it funny how you like to stick together in your numbers, is it your gang?

Like what BroncOnIon says, I voiced my opinion on the future of the club but unlike some here I would have accepted whatever decision was made and would not have thrown my dummy out of the pram like some seem to be doing!'"

Same old persecution complex as ever eh, you've peddled that line since your 'appy 'ammers were actually a succesful football team........nobody is actually throwing dummies, if you could but recognise it you would see that you are contributing to one side of a debate with some support, and others are on the opposing side, doesn't make them a clique or a gang anymore than those supporing your point makes you a crew leader.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2742No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/017.jpg
Welcome Quins Kitties born 02.04.09 - Purdo - Determined, loveable with a "can-do" attitude. A born leader. Louie - Big, white and fluffy. A very noisy prop forward. Harley- Cute and gorgeous (just like our no.9) Well, I couldn't call her Chad, could I? Update on Quins Mogs :- Purdo - deffo leader amongst Mogs. The Capo. Louie - turned out to be more like Louie Spence than LMS. Re-named Judas. Harley - Cute but not as gorgeous as our no.9. Oh well, at least I haven't got a Willy.:simpsons/017.jpg

I must admit I also find PTB's posts to be rational, well thought out and coherent and I am in total agreement with his posts on this topic.

If we had been watching a team that was winning its home games and challenging for the play-offs, I doubt we would be having these discussions now. Sadly, we've made a right mess of Quins RL and it certainly isn't our landlords fault.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach577No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47232_1397587565.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47232.png

There have been many opportunities for the bigger club to help along the smaller partner but they have rarely been offered.

Thus I would suggest that our landlord can be construed as being 'at fault' because the Harlequins Rugby Union club chose to accept a 'partnership' with the London Broncos Rugby League club - a partnership which was supposed to exist at many levels before the Union club bought in fully - but the reality is that they have not really ever made a sincere effort to integrate.

Not only that, they have willingly condoned organizations like the disgraceful Quinssa association whom have distributed anti-Rugby League propaganda and off-putting anti-RL messaging.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12169No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10696_1330181301.jpg
london RL: scraping the barrel:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10696.jpg

Quote: markrammond "Not only that, they have willingly condoned organizations like the disgraceful Quinssa association whom have distributed anti-Rugby League propaganda and off-putting anti-RL messaging.'"

Where? Show us. You're aware you can't possibly make a statement like that without backing it up, aren't you?

RankPostsTeam
International Star2259No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59709_1306485067.jpg

Pengy-Fertile imagination springs to mind as posted earlier this week.

Maybe Quins RU just wanted more use of their facility and allowing a RL side to use and pay for the facility was seen as a good business model-Probably not to dissimilar to lots of duel use stadiums- The only difference being the name change possibly, who knows.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2742No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/017.jpg
Welcome Quins Kitties born 02.04.09 - Purdo - Determined, loveable with a "can-do" attitude. A born leader. Louie - Big, white and fluffy. A very noisy prop forward. Harley- Cute and gorgeous (just like our no.9) Well, I couldn't call her Chad, could I? Update on Quins Mogs :- Purdo - deffo leader amongst Mogs. The Capo. Louie - turned out to be more like Louie Spence than LMS. Re-named Judas. Harley - Cute but not as gorgeous as our no.9. Oh well, at least I haven't got a Willy.:simpsons/017.jpg

Hang on a minute Mark, Quinssa is a very well run supporters club that does lots of stuff for its members and who seem very happy with it. If only we had such a fan club.

It's fair to say that there are a few anti-league QRU supporters, but no more than the idiots we have on board that hate everything RU related.

Re what you say about Quins not making an effort to integrate with us, why the hell should they? It's their club and one would think they have enough on their plate running a successful RU club. Surely it was down to us to show Quins that we were a venture worth getting involved with. Sadly, we have failed miserably. icon_sad.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star2259No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59709_1306485067.jpg

Dan-Just to add to that they have been through Bloodgate in that time, staff taken to court, coaches sacked, directors standing down, money issues etc. I suspect we were the least of there worries.

We have to stand up and be counted.....and be thankful we get to use a tremendous ground

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach999No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think you are way off with your comments MR.

I have often questioned what we were getting out of the so called partnership, but had we not been such a poor proposition both on and off the field in recent times the RU side might well have been encouraged to become more involved. As it turned out, what was in it for them?..........so as a business they have rightly reverted to a landlord/tenant relationship where they can trouser the RL rent money and avoid any risk or investment. Had we been more successful since our return to the Stoop the outcome would possibly have been different.

We should content ourselves with the fact we are continuing to play at a great stadium with excellent facilities, which is something we should be marketing heavily in future seasons as most away fans seem to enjoy their trips to London (and that’s not just because they are nailed on to take home the points of late).

As for the Quinnsa comment…………we should be so lucky in having such an organisation to support RL!!!!! The comments on their message board are no worse than the anti RU rubbish which gets spouted on here.

The only regret we should have is that we could not make more of the opportunity handed to us at Harlequins.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2742No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/017.jpg

Wire quin and UtS - agree entirely.

I don't think QRL are 100% to blame in it's failure. Unfortunately, we have had our fair share of bad luck with injuries and the loss of key signings, CEOs, Chairmen, and most importantly, a large investor who was wealthy and a passionate league fan.

I often think how things would have gone if Wigan had not come up for sale. IL has no doubt enjoyed his success at Wigan, but how much greater the kudos would have been, if he had been the one to make a success of rugby league in London.

It seems we must wait for another IL to come along and I fear that it's going to take longer than the 3 years that St David Hughes has pledged to support us. icon_sad.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7631
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1718.jpg
:1718.jpg

Quote: jaybs "Like what BroncOnIon says, I voiced my opinion on the future of the club but unlike some here I would have accepted whatever decision was made and would not have thrown my dummy out of the pram like some seem to be doing!'"

Not sure how much of the above you are saying that I said. Certainly not the bit about dummies and prams.

Fact is that the link up with the union club has not worked out to anything like the extent that its original proponents (league and union) envisaged. And I agree with those who say that the main reason for that has been our inability to put a competitive team on the paddock for most of the last 6 years. Had it worked out the clubs would probably have merged into one organisation and then even those of us who are not enthusiastic about the Harlequins name and strip would have remained supporters.

As I've said elsewhere, the rot set in with our abysmal showing in our launch game which was well and positively publicised and drew about 8500. I'm not privy to what goes on between us and our landlords but we seem to me to do OK out of the deal - an excellent ground, especially since the club saw the sense of reopening the "BestWest" stand. There appear to be no problems with us playing U-20 games, unlike the hassle we experienced at GP. The ground's location and accessibility seem fine to me. I don't know whether the demographics of the area are any kind of issue. Doubt it, but our geographically widespread supporter base doesn't imply inaccessibility and if that place over the road can get 70,000 in, it can't be that hard to get to.

One sure thing is that the club must have learned the lessons of the last 6 years as far as the playing squad goes so that "London Whatevers" have to hit the ground running right from the start of next season. I hope we'll have the squad and coach to do that.

74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.8310546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Lee Briers joins St Helens coaching staff
Wires71
4m
Film game
Boss Hog
8m
2024 Disciplinary
ploinerrhino
11m
This weeks disciplinary
just_browny
13m
RD 25 Hull FC H
ploinerrhino
27m
Todays match v Saints
Wanderer
28m
Shopping list for 2025
ComeOnYouUll
34m
Sheffield A
Highlander
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
25s
This weeks disciplinary
just_browny
31s
RD 25 Hull FC H
ploinerrhino
47s
Salford H
Steve0
50s
Recruitment rumours and links
Howfenwire
54s
Lee Briers joins St Helens coaching staff
Wires71
55s
2024 Disciplinary
ploinerrhino
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Hudds
RfE
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Who do we want in the play-offs
ninearches
TODAY
Tomkins last chance
[Gareth]
TODAY
Ken Rollin
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Max
PopTart
TODAY
Play-offs
Deeeekos
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
newcat
TODAY
George Williams
just_browny
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Wire Weaver
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
Chris71
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
Wanderer
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +13,685 ↑6180,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
Hudds W
v
Wire W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 25 619 336 283 40
Hull KR 25 669 311 358 38
Warrington 25 618 319 299 36
Salford 25 492 479 13 30
Leigh 25 548 362 186 29
St.Helens 25 544 366 178 28

Leeds 25 514 424 90 28
Catalans 25 439 415 24 26
Huddersfield 25 434 582 -148 18
Castleford 25 411 661 -250 15
Hull FC 25 320 812 -492 6
LondonB 25 309 850 -541 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20