JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: WhittonQuin "Ok Ceejames if you are going to patronise me best it's left here. But....

As regards a benchmark despite it being a full on contest, these guys are professional athletes after all, no Thomas, Williams, Bryan, Lovell and Edwards are never going to make the metres or clean breaks they made yesterday in Super League first grade. Quins will however need them (and others) to cover injuries and unexpected and unanticipated losses in form among our first 19 (or demand selection based on form). Clearly in your opinion the Huddersfield 8 on display yesterday are not expected to have to do the same. [Precisely] It's important for us that Mellor*, Sarginson and Edwards play together as a unit as often as possible and train regularly with the first team so that they know the defensive systems and offensive plays in this inevitable eventuality. Quin's need for a competitive settled U20's on your view of the competition therefore appears to be different to other clubs.
[It is more important for quins as dual registration is not a real option]Interestingly the success or otherwise, rightly or wrongly, of a club's U20's seems to matter to a lot of supporters on these forums.

[Rightly if they want to pop along and watch a game played in their team colours. Wrongy if they believe it has a significant impact on long term player development. The advent of dual registration and increased tendency for player loans + the widely recognised failures of u20s as a development route has changed things significantly.]

Anyway good luck to Huddersfield this year. As I've said to the Huddersfield supporters I've spoken to after matches at the Stoop and last year at the Galpharm after the drubbing we received there I'm very impressed with the on field and off field development of the club over the last 2-3 years and it will be great to see the Huddersfield win Super League silverware this year.

*Slightly confused by this. He's with us to gain first grade experience but not made the 19 as a minimum yet?'"

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach191No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I would hazard a guess that the U20's does mean more to the Quins, if for no other reason than location. I wonder how many of those players on dual location would be given this oppotunity if the the other club involved had to stump up for housing etc? Personally I think it's great to see so many London kids coming through the system. Being involved with the club from 94 - 2003, we had to scratch just to get either the academy or alliance teams out in years gone by. Hell we have even donned the kit ourselves just to be legal with numbers. Lost count of how many times we arrived at Euston for an away Alliance game, only to have 13 players rock up. The grass roots are the life blood of any sport. One of the reasons London has always found it tough in years gone by was because of the lack of locals. When players where given a day off training, it was staggering and telling when 1/2 the team jumped on a train to go home to the north for the night! Yes it's been a long time coming and it was never going to be a short term solution, but looking at the number of juniors playing the game now and what they are achieving at all levels is fantastic. So what if they don't all make it, just the fact that they play this great game and have a better understanding of it is success in it'self. The problem now begining to emerge, is that when a good one does come through, the other teams offer them more money to lure them away. The trick is to find some way to keep them. Was laughing last week when I read about Saints spending so much on Kyle Eastmond only for Bath to come in and pinch him. Hmm, now Saints may be my home town but how is that any different to what they did with Louie? Bath used their superior spending just like saints did, just a different sport! Personally couldn't care less if the other teams don't take the U20's seriously, that's their choice, so long as the lads keep winning. Winning is infectious at any level and if they get a taste for it at this level, they'll want to take it to the next.

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Nudenut " Personally couldn't care less if the other teams don't take the U20's seriously, that's their choice, so long as the lads keep winning. Winning is infectious at any level and if they get a taste for it at this level, they'll want to take it to the next.'"

perhaps you should arrange to play your U20s against local primary school teams. That way you can win by a big score each week, keep winning and 'get a taste for winning'.

The opposition does matter when developing players. That is why many SL clubs want players in a meaningful comp rather than meaningless 20s games.

It is great that more kids (and adults) in London are playing RL. This strengthens RL. Hopefully the Quins can help spread the word and more of the people playing the game will get to the Stoop.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2359No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Nov 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44227_1315514791.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44227.jpg

Quote: Ceejames "perhaps you should arrange to play your U20s against local primary school teams. That way you can win by a big score each week, keep winning and 'get a taste for winning'. '"

Didn't we play against a Primary school team on Saturday??? icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach191No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: "

Sorry you mean like the 3rd round of the Challenge Cup or when Super League teams play National League teams? Your right they are going to learn a lot from that!

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Nudenut "

When you learn a bit more abut rugby you will understand that playing against championship teams in the CC is a far more meaningful competition than a 20s game. And in such games a coach plays 'junior' players so certain key players can be rested - it is low risk squad rotation.

You may also learn that players develop by being reasonably stretched and challenged rather than winning endless meaningless games. HTH.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach191No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Yeah yeah, you don't rate the U20's we get it. As for accusing others of not knowing the game mmm..........Based on what? That my opinion is different to yours? Or are you a super coach trolling these boards. Funny I've worked alongside some great coaches and players and they don't exactly share your view, so pray tell what confirms you are right and others not allowed to have a different view. I'm curious.

As I am no longer in the UK I didn't say you were wrong or have a personal attack, I just gave some examples of what I knew where the issues previously. So enlighten me as to who is loaned elsewhere and how you belive they are stretching themselves. I ask as I merely pointed out that the scores at the weekend were so extreme. Yes I realise that this was against amatuer teams but I believe we should revert back to drawing those games out of the hat. As for loaning players out, yes possibly in the National but let's be honest there are a lot of guys starring in that league who have tried and can't make it in super league so what makes this better? I can see the kids will have to wise up quickly with older players trying to teach the young up starts a lesson. Also if we sent all our youngsters to Skolars, how does this help Skolars in the long run.

Probably one of the most succesful teams in past two decades was the Brisbane Broncos. They rarely used to buy players in, they brought them through the system. Now I thought that was what the no relegation point in UK was all about, to bring the kids through a system. So which teams don't take it seriously and have you been told this for a fact or is that your opinion?

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Nudenut "Yeah yeah, you don't rate the U20's we get it. As for accusing others of not knowing the game mmm..........Based on what?
[I have sugested only a few our out of touch. Based on what they write. Sadly some Quins fans find it hard to accept that the 20s is not so important to other clubs. ]

That my opinion is different to yours? Or are you a super coach trolling these boards. Funny I've worked alongside some great coaches and players and they don't exactly share your view, so pray tell what confirms you are right and others not allowed to have a different view. I'm curious.
[How pathetic you are. Show me where I have said people are not allowed to have a different view - we both know you can't as you have resorted to making things up icon_razz.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Fozzard "
Its all very well to sit here and say a none of other clubs take 20s seriously, but as examples when you go to St Helens two thirds way through the season and they field Fozzard and Gardener and Wigan send down a side to Roehampton containing Karl Pryce and Palea'aesina, then you have to question that thought.

[Why on earth do you think this shows clubs take 20s seriously? 2 of the 4 players named did not get a contract renewal and KP is loaned to you guys. At least 2 of those players were recovering from injury during 2010. Giving these guys a contested hit out in the 20s is useful to the 1st team but does not make it a development route per se]

This is not the exception, but examples of what happened with some of the U20 teams we played against. With 3 over aged contracted players allowed to play in the side, it is the best tool we have of developing our players, it allows players to play learn and develop, and play against established super league players, which has to be key to any clubs player supply chain. Realistic game time is all you can ask for, and beats any training session.

[For quins this may be so. However the conclusions that you draw from results in the 20s ought to be informed by better understanding the opposition]
'"

Dave Lister is right on this.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5100
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1428_1727693289.png
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-HziERgfk:p2kbb0c5]Gus Mackay we salute you!![/url:p2kbb0c5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1428.png

Quote: Ceejames "Something'"

Learn to post properly if you want people to read what you have to say, as it is I won't bother.

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jbuzza "Learn to post properly if you want people to read what you have to say, as it is I won't bother.'"

Should I? Won't you? Oh dear.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7631
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1718.jpg
:1718.jpg

Quote: Ceejames "Should I? Won't you? Oh dear.'"

But it's a fair point. This has been a long and interesting argument with a few people making quite complex posts. If you don't structure your replies properly they become difficult to read and many, such as jbuzza and myself, just won't bother. Hence your ideas don't get across. It's your choice.

65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.189453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
9m
Recruitment rumours and links
Fantastic Mr
14m