JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Notice that the Halifax game has probably moved as Well, fax saying most likely not being played in canada

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

'tis my recollection that the biggest "dummy spit" was Sky moving a game day in France for Quins v Catalans.....meaning that about 30 or so fans were actually in the air heading back to London when the game was kicking off.......some bloke called fax in the gutter or some other like-name was invited to Parliament for his aggressive stance towards Murdoch and the RFL thinking that they own the game when in fact it is actually us fans that own and pay for the game.......I do often wonder what happened to that stalwart of reality?
Toronto bled cash last year and will do so this......if they don't go up then it'll soon become apparent that the "rich blokes" toy isn't worth the investment.....I've had reports from Toronto residents that what we perceive here isn't actually what's happening there......8k gates were nothing like 8k and their core support is in the 3 hundreds......with an awful lot of freebies and favours being dished out.......it's an expensive habit this RL thing....just ask Dave icon_cool.gif and North Americans (other than college students) like to sit in comfortable surrounds when watching sport......not wooden benches and drinking warm ale from plastic in a tent....

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Wonder how the marketing and selling the game is going down in Toronto at the moment?
I do remember someone on here having a bit of a dig at me when I suggested that the claimed 7k in a 9k capacity stadium looked strangely false when you saw the TV pictures, think it was suggested that I hadn't taken into account the folk in the beer tent.
So 13 home games planned, potential 7 not going to be at there home ground, as they say SELL IT SELL IT

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "Wonder how the marketing and selling the game is going down in Toronto at the moment?
I do remember someone on here having a bit of a dig at me when I suggested that the claimed 7k in a 9k capacity stadium looked strangely false when you saw the TV pictures, think it was suggested that I hadn't taken into account the folk in the beer tent.
So 13 home games planned, potential 7 not going to be at there home ground, as they say SELL IT SELL IT'"

The "selling it" is less important this year as there is a massive reliance on getting to SL........I applaud Eric Perez and his passion, but there is a niggling feeling that I have that they really do believe that visits from Wigan and Leeds will draw crowds and as London well knows, sticking posts in the ground and announcing KO times isn't a viable marketing strategy......and we averaged 10k in our first season which was down to a great number of away fans being curious and ex-pat norvuners.
As for "crowd counting"......I will always take announced crowds at face value.......if they are fibbing then the reality is that they are only fibbing to themselves........and the reduction in their "home" games this year points to the sponsor tightening the belt due to lack of increased ticket sales to Toronto....are the wheels starting to come off?????

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Not sure how "selling it" is less important this year! I would have thought building on last year would still need selling, or are you suggesting it's job done? By that logic we should still be drawing 10k crowds.
So year 2 and suggesting sponsors belt tightening, does not build confidence in the product on sale.
What actually worries me, magic weekend in Newcastle they play Toronto Toulouse game and say it's about drawing folk in, where from? Who are the extra fans that will turn up that will not go anyhow! Why are they not trying to look at proper expansion of the game closer to home, Newcastle thunder facilities are excellent yet they struggle, with poor gate numbers.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "Not sure how "selling it" is less important this year! I would have thought building on last year would still need selling, or are you suggesting it's job done? By that logic we should still be drawing 10k crowds.'"

Not at all.....the job of marketing is never "done", but I believe that dishing out free tickets week in week out, with very few people actually paying has probably made the owner realise that he's not going to get much return on his investment until they are hosting clubs like Wigan or Leeds.....clubs that they can leverage to market games. Perez will continue to do the rounds on local media and pepper the facebook page, I suspect that free tickets will continue to be distributed like confetti and the beer tents and hot dog guns will all be back for 2018......but I have no doubt that they are hemorrhaging cash at an alarming rate at present and are mistakenly of the belief that the SL cheque is a silver bullet!

Quote: northernbloke "So year 2 and suggesting sponsors belt tightening, does not build confidence in the product on sale.'"

AirTransat will have hoped to have filled planes on their route, with paying fans travelling to watch their team in a new city. £440 return from Manchester to Toronto flying out June 8th and back on the 11th...there are 346 seats on their planes, so forgetting first/business, they would expect to pocket £150,000 and change from the 2 flights......I've heard reports from "away" fans who traveled last year of planes flying less than half full.

Your Squad and support group will number probably 23, so that's £10k a visiting side in free seats...I reckon there were about 20 trips made by either the visitors or the wolfpack in 2017......so let's call it £200,000........so for AirTransat to break even, they would have needed 500 fans from Oxford, Hemel, Gloucester, York, Hunslet, coventry or Barrow (2), Doncaster, Newcastle or whitehaven.....and that's just to BREAK EVEN.

Quote: northernbloke "What actually worries me, magic weekend in Newcastle they play Toronto Toulouse game and say it's about drawing folk in, where from? Who are the extra fans that will turn up that will not go anyhow! Why are they not trying to look at proper expansion of the game closer to home, Newcastle thunder facilities are excellent yet they struggle, with poor gate numbers.'"

If it's on TV then it'll have a crowd that makes us v Catalans look busy. I don't see the logic in it myself......but logical thinking isn't associated with the RFL or the Wolfpack.....they claim an 8k average but wigan, with a 14k average managed to lose cash last year and those 14k were paying for tickets icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

You make it sound like air transit are reliant on Toronto Wolfpack for there revenue stream! Trust me they have been in the airline business long enough to happily survive without TW money. Air Transat didn't need any fans from any club to break even, they just needed there normal passenger flow. TW lodged £300k with the RFL last year for away team travel and accommodation costs, that was part of the deals entering the league

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "You make it sound like air transit are reliant on Toronto Wolfpack for there revenue stream! Trust me they have been in the airline business long enough to happily survive without TW money. Air Transat didn't need any fans from any club to break even, they just needed there normal passenger flow. TW lodged £300k with the RFL last year for away team travel and accommodation costs, that was part of the deals entering the league'"

Yip......and as a way to reduce other "outgoings" AitrTransat were on board as [TRUMP MODE]a massive sponsor...the biggest ever[TRUMP] in the history of the game.......yet suddenly, rather than play games at an alternate venue whilst lamport is being rejigged, they are essentially playing games in Blocks, which gives them a massive advantage...........they should be home and away like everyone else and if it's too cold, then they should find an indoor arena.......letting them start with a block of games in the UK, then finish by hosting teams fresh of the plane is just Biased.......sorry, but it is!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As for the route being half empty, then it's obviously a loss making route for them hence the ability to offer "free" or heavily discounted seats for travelling teams the only cost then is the extra fuel burn which using conservative figures is going to be about 500kg of fuel each way which in the grand scheme is nothing, trust me when they start filling that route they will start paying.
So actually we are agreed then dog, TW is a rich mans plaything who will be around as long as mr Perez puts his Money in

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

But they are a development team dog! Should they not be allowed to do that without anyone complaining? Or are you saying it gives them an unfair advantage? Am confused now, in another thread I do believe you said London Broncos should not be bound by the overseas player rule, would that not effectively give LB an advantage over teams they play that were bound by overseas player rule.
Actually in my opinion they should play home and away the same as everyone else, if it's not possible due to weather then it's a bit of an inconcieved plan, bit like having world ski champs in the alps in august. It will be interesting if/when they are inserted into SL if the other SL teams will be as willing to bend to there demands.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: northernbloke " I do believe you said London Broncos should not be bound by the overseas player rule, '"

I did.....and I think I also said that we should get a minimum 25% compensation of the cap too. Toronto having a squad that is "very close to being full cap"....<s> UNDER THE CAP MY 'ARRIS<s> and being able to field a team full of aussies isn't my gripe....but them playing the last 12 regular games next year at Home whilst the opponents will be just off the plane is.......

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

But you are still suggesting that we should be allowed an advantage over other teams but other teams shouldnt.
As for the away teams just getting off the plane, nothing stopping them travelling earlier! They just pay for it

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "But you are still suggesting that we should be allowed an advantage over other teams but other teams shouldnt.'"

Yes....we are running an academy and we will produce more players but it will take time......and until such time we should be allowed play as many ANZACS as we need.......and more cash because living in London ain't living in Leigh!

Quote: northernbloke "As for the away teams just getting off the plane, nothing stopping them travelling earlier! They just pay for it'"

icon_lol.gif eusa_wall.gif icon_beat.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_biggrin.gifRUNK: icon_lol.gif ...now I know you're just looking for an argument!

Toronto came to us and already in year 1 we let them play 4/5 on the trot away....not that's more with the last dozen at hoe and on the trot......it'll be like bige-watching a netflix show for their 300 or so beer-loving fans......

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Am never after an argument just healthy debate! The fact is if Toronto were to be doing home and away alternating the costs would be extortionate, I doubt even air transat would stomach that deal. We could get into that discussion of what day broncos travelled to away games, night before and overnight in hotels or travel up the morning before a game! Does it really make that much difference to how they perform on the park? For me I would suggest very little.
Crossing the Atlantic is slightly different I agree but it's a 4 hr time difference so a 1630 local kick off is a 2030 uk time kick off, simple for any club travelling stay on UK time for sleep patterns hey ho no jet lag. So 7 and a bit hrs sat in an airplane with a night to recover or 4 hrs sat in a coach on the m6 m1 with a couple if hours.
For the good of expansion it's not that hard

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "The fact is if Toronto were to be doing home and away alternating the costs would be extortionate'"

So? We were assured that they were cashed up and other teams wouldn't be adversely affected.......If it costs them or AirTransat loads then so what....their sponsorship deal we were told was massive.
I am not saying we were told lies, but I can only comment on what I see and that is a schedule skewed to suit the new side.......it could be argued that when the pitch was being worked on at Griffin Park, we could and should have just asked to play away games for 8 straight weeks then the end of the season with 8 Home games....it sure would have been easier to build a marketing momentum up. I'd imagine the flat earth brigade (some of whom are pro-Toronto but were anti-London??????) would have gone ballistic......and it would have bee added to the team full of aussies, extra payments and over the cap conspiracy theories that abounded back then........and....

.........we're told that all clubs are currently under the cap and it's managed "live"....I wonder what accounting software the Canadians are using eusa_whistle.gif

52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.17626953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
6m
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
6m
Grand final Tickets
MattyB
16m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Jack Burton
24m
Film game
Boss Hog
24m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
60m
Tonights match v HKR
fez1
Recent
Recruitment rumours and links
Or thane
Recent
TV Games - Not Hull
scarrie
Recent
Season tickets
bentleyman
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Deeeekos
31s
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
37s
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
40s
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
49s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
christopher
1m
Play-off semi-final
Prince Buste
1m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
1m
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
1m
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
MattyB
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
fez1
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
bentleyman
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Deeeekos
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M +13,839 80,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
York
27-10
Widnes
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
 FT 
Wigan
38-0
Leigh
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan38-0Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH
LIVE
York27-10Widnes
SL
LIVE
Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22