FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > London Broncos > THIS CLUB IS RUN LIKE AN AMATEUR PUB TEAM!
38 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach88No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Clearly money is an issue; it's the first time I can remember when the leaving players haven't been given a departing gift. Granted he hasn't played much, if at all, this season but Karl T had been with the club since 2005 and not to recognise that in some way (or god forbid, ask him a question) just seems wrong.

Personally, I have never had any great desire to speak to players post match, but would agree with Dan that if something is included in a price of a season ticket then it should be provided and then it is my choice whether I want to take up what is offered.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2259No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Mar 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59709_1306485067.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59709.jpg

Maybe Karl T and the others who are leaving were recognised at the clubs end of season awards dinner on Sat night.

We are making a huge assumption that the end of the game was the end of the season for the players. I struggle to believe that the leaving players didn't get there opportunity at the dinner to say goodbye and also receive a gift

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach577No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47232_1397587565.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47232.png

With Tony Rea having booked his flight back to Australia on Monday the club wanted to do an end of season event which included him.

David Hughes had at least two dinner Jackets in carriers so was happy to stay around till about 4 and I think Tony Rea was also set to go straight to the Lensbury.

But only a handful of players like Craig Gower seemed to be organised and I guess the majority of players dashed home to get ready before going out again.

I'd guess everything was set up at the Lensbury like Wire suggests.

I think the club does not get the benefit of the doubt but I can understand why there is this view. I've always found David a candid bloke and his big pal who has the box very open in his views but Gus a little secretive. So I think they are not bad lads. But I think others see them differently.

I guess a stage managed show would have been better and a bit of openness about all the players leaving appreciated.

I was a bit shocked that all the focus was upon Julien given Jason's four years, Karl's eight years and the local boys doing fair stints etc. But our 20 minutes was only a delay before the real event maybe.

Cheers
Rammo

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7631
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1718.jpg
:1718.jpg

Quote: markrammond "
I guess a stage managed show would have been better and a bit of openness about all the players leaving appreciated.

I was a bit shocked that all the focus was upon Julien given Jason's four years, Karl's eight years and the local boys doing fair stints etc. But our 20 minutes was only a delay before the real event maybe.
'"

All of that is true and I think that the thread header is quite accurate. TBF, it was the players themselves, Kaufusi and Bryant particularly, who made Rinaldi the centre of attraction.

The club's report on the end of season do refers only to 2012 season awards so we don't know if any of the departing players were recognised.

Oh, and The Cowgirls have simply faded away even though the club site said they'd perform at every home game. Not that I think they added much, but that's another broken promise.

Comparisons with other clubs are irrelevant, we've done this stuff better in the past, maybe because we are a "small" club.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5588No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Feb 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11488_1322662174.jpg
Twitter @chris_caulfield:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11488.jpg

Quote: BroncOnIon "All of that is true and I think that the thread header is quite accurate. TBF, it was the players themselves, Kaufusi and Bryant particularly, who made Rinaldi the centre of attraction.

The club's report on the end of season do refers only to 2012 season awards so we don't know if any of the departing players were recognised.

Oh, and The Cowgirls have simply faded away even though the club site said they'd perform at every home game. Not that I think they added much, but that's another broken promise.

Comparisons with other clubs are irrelevant, we've done this stuff better in the past, maybe because we are a "small" club.'"

Size and budget is no excuse for being poorly run.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3678No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9272_1327693385.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9272.jpg

I think a lot of this is down to cost cutting by the club. Every extra person employed by the club is an extra drain on DH's pocket. Too few people doing too many jobs can only have one result. Now many of the duties are blurred or even ditched. Im sure many fans on here are familiar with these signs at their own place of work and are just glad they've still got a job. As fans however we want things to be the way they were before the club were this hard up. The Powell impact on the teams form and resulting gates is far reaching. DH was believed to be losing £1.5 a year but this year it will be more and the back office is obviously feeling it.

HKR seem to be in a bit of trouble. It will be interesting to see how they respond to their finacial problems.

Much as it saddens me to hear about these unfortunate incidents i think we have to hang onto the fact that DH is still providing us with a SL team. A winning team next season may bring about improvements in these other areas.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2742No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/017.jpg
Welcome Quins Kitties born 02.04.09 - Purdo - Determined, loveable with a "can-do" attitude. A born leader. Louie - Big, white and fluffy. A very noisy prop forward. Harley- Cute and gorgeous (just like our no.9) Well, I couldn't call her Chad, could I? Update on Quins Mogs :- Purdo - deffo leader amongst Mogs. The Capo. Louie - turned out to be more like Louie Spence than LMS. Re-named Judas. Harley - Cute but not as gorgeous as our no.9. Oh well, at least I haven't got a Willy.:simpsons/017.jpg

Yes, agree the clubs resources are stretched (always have been and probably getting worse).

However, some of the things that haven't been forthcoming wouldn't have cost anything....fans forums and communication shouldn't really impact that much financially, if at all. Ditto a low-key season launch event.

It is a shame the club chose to dispense with the services of people (staff and volunteers) who cared about this club and knew how it ticked.

In spite of all that has been said, I'm sure we are all desperate for this club to flourish...maybe next year will. icon_razz.gifRAY:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach999No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We can all put it down to lack of funds and cost cutting, but when in London`s history was it ever any different.

The truth is that as with every other year, we will all kid ourselves that `next season` will be different, but if DH had the appetite, the willingness and the expertise to drive the club forward in terms of management, marketing et al, he would have done it by now. What makes anyone think that this will all be turned on its head over the next 2 years before DH calls it a day.

As has already been suggested, DH has been the saviour but is also the problem with the fortunes of the Broncos…….it`s his pass time to do with and spend money on as he sees fit.

I don`t feel too optimistic about our survival when DH walks away, but I know one thing for sure and that is nothing will change until the club passes to a new owner/investor.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3678No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9272_1327693385.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9272.jpg

Quote: Under the sticks "We can all put it down to lack of funds and cost cutting, but when in London`s history was it ever any different.

The truth is that as with every other year, we will all kid ourselves that `next season` will be different, but if DH had the appetite, the willingness and the expertise to drive the club forward in terms of management, marketing et al, he would have done it by now. What makes anyone think that this will all be turned on its head over the next 2 years before DH calls it a day.
'"

Im sure DH has the appetite and willingness you refer to, he just doesnt have the money needed to do what is required.

Prior to this season, i think he has subsidised the club upto his job earnings limit.
As he sees retirement looming and no investor on the horizon, i believe he has gone overboard and overspent his income to get us spending upto the Salary cap this season. This he hoped would get us the players who would get the results onfield that would get us into the playoffs, and he could market a winning team, attract more fans, and propel the club forward.

Sadly he kept RP as coach and f***ed it all up.

As a consequence we have gone backwards and next season we really have to get it right. The team must perform and each of us must drag every person down to see the wonders of RL in London. The clock is ticking and no matter what we think of the clubs performance upto now we are in the Last Chance Saloon. We get behind the club and make it work or find out our best seats to watch the Skolars in whatever league they may be playing in. SL in London will be history.If we cant find a backer when we have a team allready in SL and a small fanbase allready we sure as *ell wont find one when DH calls it 'enough'.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach999No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

DH has thrown millions at this club over the years and for that he should be respected and applauded, but unfortunately the lack of or poor choice of management seems to have been a constant also.

There have been numerous CEO`s, Directors, Managers call it what you will throughout this time (all appointed by DH), but I think all of us would be hard pushed to name anything that they have done during their tenure that `propelled` this club forward…….you would have thought some inventiveness would have risen to the surface. We have also had more back office staff in the past, so the lack of funds and Gus having to `do it all` has not always been the case. So have all these people lacked the necessary expertise, been poor choices, hamstrung by the lack of funds or restricted by the decisions of the owner?

We have also spent less on the team in the past and had more success than our `spending to the cap` has brought us……..but as you say DH`s poor management decision to appoint RP, apparently against all knowledgeable advice, made sure that he cocked up again.

As a supporter I will do what I have always done, buy a season ticket, get to the games, spend in the shop and bar, encourage friends and family along…… you can`t do much more. The long term future of the club rests with the owner and management team and I have no faith in the current regime.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

The London Broncos will cease to exist as a professional Super League RL entity if no other major investor can be found toreplace David Hughes or if the club continues to around with gimmicky marketing campaigns that are done on a shoe string and achieve nothing.
Brown, Hogg, Blanchard and now MacKay have, over 7 seasons, presided over a loss of 30% of the average attendance..that's more than 1,100 missing fans per game or about 300k in lost revenue......for 6 of these seasons, David Hughes has contolled the purse strings and IIRC, we have had 2 full time Marketing Managers.....bot who were so out of their depth it was farcical that they were employed in the first place.

I am not sure if Mr Hughes once had a dog that was run over by a marketing executive, but he seems almost fanatically adverse to spending a brass farthing on promotion or marketing. He patently believes that the locals should feel honoured to have a SL club in their midsts and should be googling their little hearts out to find out when our next home game is.....perish the thought that he'd ever send them an invite.

He believes, incorrectly BTW, that if the team win something, the fans will flock to the games.......we finished 4th and 2nd before the play-offs, made 2 play-offs finishing 5th and 6th and visited Wembley......not 1 fan was added to the averages in the seasons immediately after these "successes".......

Mr Hughes is 100% Entitled to run HIS club as he sees fit, but patently he is doing it badly and his recent facination with all things cricket points to him having lost the plot totally........

I repeat, to compare the way the club is currently run to an amateur pub team is an injustice to amateur pub teams.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1488
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65566_1408120525.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65566.jpg

Quote: gutterfax "to compare the way the club is currently run to an amateur pub team is an injustice to amateur pub teams.'"
So we're a bit of a black sheep and can't seem to do anything right. Maybe we should be kicked out of the Super League to teach us a lesson icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Torbreck "So we're a bit of a black sheep and can't seem to do anything right. Maybe we should be kicked out of the Super League to teach us a lesson
The London Broncos are not simply a black sheep who can't seem to do anything right.....The London Broncos are a professional Sports club and Business who have never attempted to do the right thing......there is a massive difference between doing something wrong and doing the wrong thing......HTH!

btw....When have I ever said that we should be kicked out of SL? What I have said since 2003 and what I am derided for repeating is that the club do not have a ing clue how to market themselelves.......and when DH walks away, nobody will need to kick the club out of SL.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1488
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65566_1408120525.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65566.jpg

You're smart, but not that smart icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png

Quote: Torbreck "You're smart, but not that smart.'"

I am Albert ing Einstein when compared to any of the tools employed by DH to promote/run the club.......and my intelligence, charm and charisma are only overshadowed by my arrogance icon_lol.gif

38 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
38 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.69873046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squad 2024
Listenup94
8m
Rumours thread
Kettykat
14m
Leeds
BigTime
17m
Meadows
BigTime
22m
Batley next
Kettykat
24m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 16
yorkshiredra
26m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
Builth Wells
26m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Whino4life
28m
Murphy on his way then
PopTart
31m
Reserves v London
PopTart
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
Dave K.
15s
Jayden Okunbor
Steve0
16s
Squad for Giants
Smiffy27
30s
Problems with this Site continued
sir adrian m
33s
Meadows
BigTime
33s
Leeds
BigTime
35s
Tom Johnstone
Trojan Horse
43s
Salford - Away
bonaire
53s
Reserves v London
PopTart
1m
Round 16 London Home
tad rhino
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Batley next
Kettykat
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
chapylad
TODAY
Leeds
BigTime
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
WIZEB
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
sir adrian m
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Start@1873
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Best Wigan Tour Team
Cruncher
TODAY
Josh Bowden
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Squad for Giants
Smiffy27
TODAY
Leigh h
Zig
TODAY
Meadows
BigTime
TODAY
July games
financialtim
TODAY
Salford - Away
bonaire
TODAY
Dons v Toulouse - Saturday 10 August 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Toulouse A
Benji13
TODAY
IMG scores
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Nathan Mason
MicktheGled
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
Builth Wells
TODAY
Half Time Report
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Dewsbury v Dons Sunday 7/7/24 3pm
Kick and cha
TODAY
Our next 2 meetings
H.G.S.A
TODAY
Lee Briers
Fantastic Mr
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
Hull FC Get Second Win By Beat..
Super Salford First Half Slays..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 3,377 ↓-480,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
10:50
Parramatta
v
Souths
 TOMORROW
09:00
Cronulla
v
Gold Coast
11:00
Brisbane
v
Penrith
       Championship 2024-R14
19:30
Sheffield
v
Halifax
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
20:00
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Warrington
v
Huddersfield
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sat 6th Jul
06:00
Canterbury
v
NZ Warriors
08:30
Wests
v
Melbourne
10:35
NQL Cowboys
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:30
LeedsW
v
St.HelensW
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
WiganW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
15:00
Leeds
v
LondonB
17:30
Hull KR
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R14
18:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 7th Jul
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 5th Jul
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Huddersfield
SL
Wigan-Leigh
Sat 6th Jul
SL
Hull KR-Catalans
SL
Leeds-LondonB
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
L1 13 Oldham30-6Hunslet
L1 13 Workington18-37Keighley
NRL 17 St.George26-6Dolphins
NRL 17 Penrith6-16NQL Cowboys
NRL 17 Sydney40-6Wests
Sat 29th Jun
CH 13 Toulouse20-0Featherstone
CH 13 Doncaster18-8Swinton
NRL 17 NZ Warriors32-16Brisbane
NRL 17 Newcastle34-26Parramatta
NRL 17 Melbourne16-6Canberra
MINT2024 1 France M8-40England M
WINT2024 1 FRANCE W0-42ENGLAND W
Fri 28th Jun
NRL 17 Canterbury15-14Cronulla
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 14 403 164 239 24
St.Helens 15 423 162 261 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Warrington 15 358 213 145 20
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 15 274 270 4 16
Huddersfield 15 298 317 -19 12
Leigh 14 264 226 38 11
Castleford 15 238 429 -191 7
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 15 140 598 -458 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 13 354 217 137 20
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10