JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Then again it's just a rich mans play thing to do with what he wishes really so should not be surprised.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1440No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We have done it, London v Warrington in Carcassonne being the most obvious example.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Price of a flight to carcassone a wee bit different from a price over the Atlantic. Not quite the same it's not as if it was in our second year and trying to build a new fan base, and to pre empt dog, it was our way of destroying our fan base

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1440No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The principle is exactly the same though. Sell a season ticket for X games and then announce you are off on your travels.

I'd agree it's not good news for them. The beginnings of the failure of Oxford Rugby League can be traced back to the mis-handling of having to go on the road in season two.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

So is it a sign that things are really not that Rosy at the bright new dawn of rugby league. No stadium at the moment, happily giving up home games to play in the UK. Will Perez end up doing a Dr K at Salford? Admittedly Dr K stayed longer than I thought but when he didn't get the success he wanted he has walked leaving I believe 1.7mil deferred bill unpaid.
As for us taking a game to carcassone on the dim and distant past, yep home fans put out, wonder how many Toulouse fans already bought flights to Toronto though!!!! Little bit different

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg
Mac out!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20337.jpg

The Pies have taken home games to other grounds.

It Toronto are improving ground facilities even you should be able to see positives in that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's not there ground though! They will turn out similar to us most likely.
Let's put it this way, had it been our game that was moved then folk on here would be up in arms, especially if they had already bought a flight.
Even you can see the negatives in that

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

“Disgusting. All the good work being ruined,” John Knox commented on the Toronto Wolfpack Fans Facebook group page.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Notice that the Halifax game has probably moved as Well, fax saying most likely not being played in canada

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

'tis my recollection that the biggest "dummy spit" was Sky moving a game day in France for Quins v Catalans.....meaning that about 30 or so fans were actually in the air heading back to London when the game was kicking off.......some bloke called fax in the gutter or some other like-name was invited to Parliament for his aggressive stance towards Murdoch and the RFL thinking that they own the game when in fact it is actually us fans that own and pay for the game.......I do often wonder what happened to that stalwart of reality?
Toronto bled cash last year and will do so this......if they don't go up then it'll soon become apparent that the "rich blokes" toy isn't worth the investment.....I've had reports from Toronto residents that what we perceive here isn't actually what's happening there......8k gates were nothing like 8k and their core support is in the 3 hundreds......with an awful lot of freebies and favours being dished out.......it's an expensive habit this RL thing....just ask Dave icon_cool.gif and North Americans (other than college students) like to sit in comfortable surrounds when watching sport......not wooden benches and drinking warm ale from plastic in a tent....

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Wonder how the marketing and selling the game is going down in Toronto at the moment?
I do remember someone on here having a bit of a dig at me when I suggested that the claimed 7k in a 9k capacity stadium looked strangely false when you saw the TV pictures, think it was suggested that I hadn't taken into account the folk in the beer tent.
So 13 home games planned, potential 7 not going to be at there home ground, as they say SELL IT SELL IT

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES????? £20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000. The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover. There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT::d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76030.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "Wonder how the marketing and selling the game is going down in Toronto at the moment?
I do remember someone on here having a bit of a dig at me when I suggested that the claimed 7k in a 9k capacity stadium looked strangely false when you saw the TV pictures, think it was suggested that I hadn't taken into account the folk in the beer tent.
So 13 home games planned, potential 7 not going to be at there home ground, as they say SELL IT SELL IT'"

The "selling it" is less important this year as there is a massive reliance on getting to SL........I applaud Eric Perez and his passion, but there is a niggling feeling that I have that they really do believe that visits from Wigan and Leeds will draw crowds and as London well knows, sticking posts in the ground and announcing KO times isn't a viable marketing strategy......and we averaged 10k in our first season which was down to a great number of away fans being curious and ex-pat norvuners.
As for "crowd counting"......I will always take announced crowds at face value.......if they are fibbing then the reality is that they are only fibbing to themselves........and the reduction in their "home" games this year points to the sponsor tightening the belt due to lack of increased ticket sales to Toronto....are the wheels starting to come off?????

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Not sure how "selling it" is less important this year! I would have thought building on last year would still need selling, or are you suggesting it's job done? By that logic we should still be drawing 10k crowds.
So year 2 and suggesting sponsors belt tightening, does not build confidence in the product on sale.
What actually worries me, magic weekend in Newcastle they play Toronto Toulouse game and say it's about drawing folk in, where from? Who are the extra fans that will turn up that will not go anyhow! Why are they not trying to look at proper expansion of the game closer to home, Newcastle thunder facilities are excellent yet they struggle, with poor gate numbers.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76030_1540929970.jpg

Quote: northernbloke "Not sure how "selling it" is less important this year! I would have thought building on last year would still need selling, or are you suggesting it's job done? By that logic we should still be drawing 10k crowds.'"

Not at all.....the job of marketing is never "done", but I believe that dishing out free tickets week in week out, with very few people actually paying has probably made the owner realise that he's not going to get much return on his investment until they are hosting clubs like Wigan or Leeds.....clubs that they can leverage to market games. Perez will continue to do the rounds on local media and pepper the facebook page, I suspect that free tickets will continue to be distributed like confetti and the beer tents and hot dog guns will all be back for 2018......but I have no doubt that they are hemorrhaging cash at an alarming rate at present and are mistakenly of the belief that the SL cheque is a silver bullet!

Quote: northernbloke "So year 2 and suggesting sponsors belt tightening, does not build confidence in the product on sale.'"

AirTransat will have hoped to have filled planes on their route, with paying fans travelling to watch their team in a new city. £440 return from Manchester to Toronto flying out June 8th and back on the 11th...there are 346 seats on their planes, so forgetting first/business, they would expect to pocket £150,000 and change from the 2 flights......I've heard reports from "away" fans who traveled last year of planes flying less than half full.

Your Squad and support group will number probably 23, so that's £10k a visiting side in free seats...I reckon there were about 20 trips made by either the visitors or the wolfpack in 2017......so let's call it £200,000........so for AirTransat to break even, they would have needed 500 fans from Oxford, Hemel, Gloucester, York, Hunslet, coventry or Barrow (2), Doncaster, Newcastle or whitehaven.....and that's just to BREAK EVEN.

Quote: northernbloke "What actually worries me, magic weekend in Newcastle they play Toronto Toulouse game and say it's about drawing folk in, where from? Who are the extra fans that will turn up that will not go anyhow! Why are they not trying to look at proper expansion of the game closer to home, Newcastle thunder facilities are excellent yet they struggle, with poor gate numbers.'"

If it's on TV then it'll have a crowd that makes us v Catalans look busy. I don't see the logic in it myself......but logical thinking isn't associated with the RFL or the Wolfpack.....they claim an 8k average but wigan, with a 14k average managed to lose cash last year and those 14k were paying for tickets icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2816No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

You make it sound like air transit are reliant on Toronto Wolfpack for there revenue stream! Trust me they have been in the airline business long enough to happily survive without TW money. Air Transat didn't need any fans from any club to break even, they just needed there normal passenger flow. TW lodged £300k with the RFL last year for away team travel and accommodation costs, that was part of the deals entering the league

52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.29638671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Betting 2024
karetaker
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
boardwalkemp
1m