JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Feb 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
54976_1330724383.png
Ironically hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is the fear of long words.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_54976.png

rlhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/9413067.stmrl

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach477No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45332.png
www.combatstress.org.uk - "They fight ours wars. We fight their battles":45332.png

Quote: Dave Lister "Our Under 20's only win because all the decent Under 20 players other teams have are good enough for Super League, whereas ours aren't.

<hides>'"

So where are all these U20's "superstars" playing in Superleague then??

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2760_1608132744.jpg
[quote="king warrior":2yifc012]Dave do us a favour and gtfo you wopper[/quote:2yifc012]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2760.jpg

Quote: The Lambeth Quin "So where are all these U20's "superstars" playing in Superleague then??'"

Have a look through the squads of Super League teams on Wikipedia. Check when the younger players began playing in Super League. ..

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2760_1608132744.jpg
[quote="king warrior":2yifc012]Dave do us a favour and gtfo you wopper[/quote:2yifc012]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2760.jpg

Anyone got a list of todays team, I would be interested to look back in it in 3 years and see how many of them "make it". I'd be optimistic and guess at 1.

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cool Dee "No, i do not play for the u20's much too long in the tooth for that, however have been watching them for about 3 years after a number of players from my local club were brought into their squad.

After admitting that you do not attend any u20 games it is once again very narrow minded of you to assume that if there was an open selection that our team would get 'battered' every week, what are you even basing that opinion on when you havent seen any other teams play.
Also how many players do you see aged 18 or younger playing on any sort of regular basis in superleague these days, this comment is yet another made by you without any real thought. Yes Evans made his full debut today but other than that i can think of very few teams who have done this (although we did with Jamie O'Callaghan!), take huddersfield for instance who fielded mcgillvary yesterday, i believe hes aged around 21 or 22 and spent last season on loan at a championship club and is playing his first full season of superleague and this seems the way it goes for a majorty of youngsters these days (breaking through at around the 19/20 year old mark and these are only the exceptional talents), however other than that who do they have coming through? Larne Patrick has played infrequently before admittedly, but no more than Krasniqi who is also 18.

[try not to display your ignorance of the game. McG was on loan at batley and then barrow. he came into the first team last year scoring 7 tries in 5 games.'Who do they have coming through' FFS! Our centre Cudjoe, around 22, played 15 games as far back as 2008 - when he was 19. for your info he played for England in Oz and is in the elite squad. then there is Michael Lawrence - 20 years old- made his debut in 2007 and last year made 23 appearances and has been selected for the England Knights. people like Kirmond and England internatonal Lunt made Sl debuts around 21. as for Larne - 22- he played for us 6 times in 2009 and played 21 Sl games in 2010 and is an England Knight. 21 games is not infrequent. Add to that keal Carlile who played so well vs Wolves in Cardiff (20) and Molloy (19/20) who played his first 1st team game on Friday and you start to get the picture.]

So if huddersfield, the current table toppers are viewing the loan route and the u20s as the best way of judging and nurturing the talent they have in their team (mcnally and hodgson playing for their side today) then what is your issue with Quins who are doing the exact same thing- see bolger and williams both at championship clubs.

Finally sarginson aged 18 and caro 19 have both been earmarked to player superleague this season by none other than our own head coach so how can you say we arent playing young players in superleague, were not even half way through the season yet where most of these boys get their chance via injuries and suspensions!
Just because your from the north means you have no more grasp than anyone else over academies and their policies, so unless your going to actually view any games if you can leave this secluded location you hide away in then I and a good few others think its best you keep your misinformed opinions on this issue to yourself.'"

Dave Lister is correct. Most SL clubs take scholarships through to 18s very serious. The 20s is a joke - I expect it to go up to 23s + more over age players in 2012/13. Of course it is good to win any game. But for club development it makes little sense to get too excited about the U20s.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg
Mac out!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20337.jpg

CJ-Why do teams stop concentrating on the 20's-What happens to the 18-20 year olds? It would seem natural for players to progress through the 20's to the first team- or do you believe the dual registartion is the way forward
Hudds yesterday recalled there loan players so they could play(CC weekend) Why do you think they would do that?
The blonde centre for Wire last night played for the Wire under 20's at The 'Shot as did the Crusaders winger(welsh international) on loan from Wire.

With Quins apparent strategy to focus on bringing home grown players through I suspect this team/league is important to the club.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=485168

Here is another club that doesnt take junior development seriously-hmmm
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=485168

Here is another club that doesnt take junior development seriously-hmmm

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20337_1416501684.jpg

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member15309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2115.jpg
[img:1ucbtp34]http://i62.tinypic.com/2hs0qkg.jpg[/img:1ucbtp34] [color=#BF0000:1ucbtp34]the [size=100:1ucbtp34]C[/size:1ucbtp34]laret [size=100:1ucbtp34]A[/size:1ucbtp34]nd [size=100:1ucbtp34]G[/size:1ucbtp34]old [size=100:1ucbtp34]M[/size:1ucbtp34]achine is ready to roll[/color:1ucbtp34] sunday September 1st 2013, when a dream became a reality!!:2115.jpg

good win for the young quins indeed but our u20's are suffering because of the talent we have that is out on loan to other clubs/selected for our first team.

mcgilvaray,cudjoe,patrick,lunt,molloy are all through our academy recently who played for the first team.
mcnally,cording,walker,wardle, wood are all dual loanees at the moment who aren't always available, and lawrence and carlile have played first team this season, we've also released some players recently who were good prospects but haven't had much first team action.

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wire-quin "CJ-Why do teams stop concentrating on the 20's-What happens to the 18-20 year olds? It would seem natural for players to progress through the 20's to the first team- or do you believe the dual registartion is the way forward
Hudds yesterday recalled there loan players so they could play(CC weekend) Why do you think they would do that?
The blonde centre for Wire last night played for the Wire under 20's at The 'Shot as did the Crusaders winger(welsh international) on loan from Wire.

With Quins apparent strategy to focus on bringing home grown players through I suspect this team/league is important to the club.'"

Bottom line is that smart clubs invest in scholarship through to 18s. High quaity 18-20 are in the 1st team squads. Dual code gives them the chance to play in meaningful games and 20s is contested training. A few are loaned to 'weaker' SL clubs.

The quins are not able to operate dual coding as it is not encomically / practically viable. Certain fans should not kid themselves that beating teams that put limited effort into the 20s is overly impressive - though a win is always nice.

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wire-quin "forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f

What is linking to a thread supposed to show? I had a quick look and the comment about players going on dual contracts so they could play in more competitive games is duly noted.

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wire-quin "forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f

Posters commenting on a 20s game..gosh. So because some wolves/leeds posters comment on a 20s game we must conclude that the giants do not put emphasis on dual coding and...... our 20s team was the best we could produce and.... thus Quins slaughtered the cream of giants young players........NAH.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach21No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Attended the U20's yesterday. Thoroughly entertaining game. As a result I have read this thread with interest. The comments of some posters concerning the quality of the U20's competition has lead me on a quiet Sunday afternoon to do a little bit of research. According to the Quins v. Huddersfield first team programme notes and the U20's teamsheet available at the U20's match Huddersfield U20's fielded the following from their 37:

Greg McNally, fullback 28
Elliott Hodgson, wing 25
Kyle Wood, scrum half 23
AdamWalker, prop 24
Jamie Cording, second row 26
Danny Kirkmond, second row 17
Matty Sarsfield, loose forward 35
Ross Peltier, interchange 33

A total of 8.

Quins U20's fielded the following from our 32:

Mark Calderwood
Will Lovell
Omari Camo
Dan Sarginson
Joe Mellor
Rob Thomas
Max Edwards
Dave Williams
Lamont Bryan
Sam Bolger

A total of 10

By way of further comparison according to the programme notes covering the Quins U20's game against the Rhino's the Rhino's team included four players listed on their website as being in the First Team:

Callum Casey
Michael Coady
Liam Hood
Brad Singleton

Now I know Quins have a different dynamic when it comes to squad size compared to the established bigger clubs but I had assumed (and I stand to be corrected) that all clubs allocate squad numbers to those they expect to feature in the first team during the course of the coming season. The talented "fringe" players who are not included in the first team planning for the current season (subject to injury etc) are those that are loaned out.

If the U20's team list for Huddersfield I got yesterday is correct I am even more impressed by what our U20's achieved given the reported strength in depth Huddersfield possess. The 8 Huddersfield players involved should be pushing the first team incumbents for their places and doing their all to impress their coaches.

RankPostsTeam
International Star557No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2011Mar 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: WhittonQuin "Attended the U20's yesterday. Thoroughly entertaining game. As a result I have read this thread with interest. The comments of some posters concerning the quality of the U20's competition has lead me on a quiet Sunday afternoon to do a little bit of research.

[How much does your analysis shed light on the 'quality of the competition?]

snip

[So of up to 20 potentially availabe playersthe Giants thought it was worth giving 8 a hit out. While of potentially 15 available Quins gave 10 a hit out. This may show the relative importance the Giants (and Leeds) assign the U20s]

Now I know Quins have a different dynamic when it comes to squad size compared to the established bigger clubs but I had assumed (and I stand to be corrected) that all clubs allocate squad numbers to those they expect to feature in the first team during the course of the coming season.

[Consider yourself 'corrected'. Many squad members will not expect to see neaningful 1st team games - bar an early CC game or a SL game when the coach plans to play a significantly weak team. These players will train ft with the senior players, play some 20s and likely be put on a dual registration.]

The talented "fringe" players who are not included in the first team planning for the current season (subject to injury etc) are those that are loaned out.

If the U20's team list for Huddersfield I got yesterday is correct I am even more impressed by what our U20's achieved given the reported strength in depth Huddersfield possess. The 8 Huddersfield players involved should be pushing the first team incumbents for their places and doing their all to impress their coaches.

[Of the 8 I can see only 2 getting 3 or more games in 2011. Barring a soft cup game I think most will not feature at all. However when we did play our youngsters + 3/4 older heads versus Wakey first team we beat them at Belle Vue. I do not think your 20s would get anywhere near that result.]

'"

It is great you are bringing players through but do not rely too heavily on the 20s as a key benchmark.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach21No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Ok Ceejames if you are going to patronise me best it's left here. But....

As regards a benchmark despite it being a full on contest, these guys are professional athletes after all, no Thomas, Williams, Bryan, Lovell and Edwards are never going to make the metres or clean breaks they made yesterday in Super League first grade. Quins will however need them (and others) to cover injuries and unexpected and unanticipated losses in form among our first 19 (or demand selection based on form). Clearly in your opinion the Huddersfield 8 on display yesterday are not expected to have to do the same. It's important for us that Mellor*, Sarginson and Edwards play together as a unit as often as possible and train regularly with the first team so that they know the defensive systems and offensive plays in this inevitable eventuality. Quin's need for a competitive settled U20's on your view of the competition therefore appears to be different to other clubs.

Interestingly the success or otherwise, rightly or wrongly, of a club's U20's seems to matter to a lot of supporters on these forums.

Anyway good luck to Huddersfield this year. As I've said to the Huddersfield supporters I've spoken to after matches at the Stoop and last year at the Galpharm after the drubbing we received there I'm very impressed with the on field and off field development of the club over the last 2-3 years and it will be great to see the Huddersfield win Super League silverware this year.

*Slightly confused by this. He's with us to gain first grade experience but not made the 19 as a minimum yet?

65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.31591796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
Boss Hog
7m
Recruitment rumours and links
Winslade's O
18m
2024 IMG gradings
jbuzza
32m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
cheekydiddle
33m
Questions for Ste Mills
AgbriggAmble
55m
Sam Burgess
sally cinnam
Recent
TV Games - Not Hull
Dave K.
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Trebor1
Recent
Grand final Tickets
stpatricks
Recent
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
44s
2024 IMG gradings
jbuzza
58s
Play-off semi-final
Prince Buste
1m
TV Games - Not Hull
Dave K.
1m
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
1m
Betting 2024
karetaker
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
1m
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
2m
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
stpatricks
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
sally cinnam
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
jbuzza
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,450 ↑16380,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
 FT
Hover 
Melbourne
6-14
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
NRL
LIVE
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 13 385 162 223 22
St.Helens 13 353 136 217 20
Warrington 13 320 170 150 18
Hull KR 12 326 183 143 16
Catalans 12 252 168 84 16
Leeds 13 246 242 4 14

Salford 12 216 252 -36 14
Huddersfield 13 274 263 11 12
Leigh 12 250 222 28 9
Castleford 13 218 406 -188 7
Hull FC 13 162 440 -278 2
LondonB 13 134 510 -376 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22