May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Hedgehog King "Some differences

a) no there is talk of moving a franchise to London fully, see the article and see elsewhere, it's not just hype it's being touted very seriously. here's another recent article www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... e-best-fit The general understanding seems to be that if they deem it a profitable venture then the NFL will do what's necessary to make it happen
b & c) the point is not whether the individual situation is the same but rather whether the "idea" itself is "stupid" as cited by the poster I was originally responding too. i am obviously aware that there are huge differences between the NFL and NRL, between America and Australia. the "idea" of locating a franchise in London as part of a foreign-based league itself however is not something that is so "stupid" that "only RL would consider it".

a) no there is talk of moving a franchise to London fully, see the article and see elsewhere, it's not just hype it's being touted very seriously. here's another recent article www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... e-best-fit The general understanding seems to be that if they deem it a profitable venture then the NFL will do what's necessary to make it happen
b & c) the point is not whether the individual situation is the same but rather whether the "idea" itself is "stupid" as cited by the poster I was originally responding too. i am obviously aware that there are huge differences between the NFL and NRL, between America and Australia. the "idea" of locating a franchise in London as part of a foreign-based league itself however is not something that is so "stupid" that "only RL would consider it".

RankPostsTeam
International Star189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

and to add to my comments:
b) the funding would be done by the NRL obviously who do have the cash, not NFL cash admittedly but more cash than London RL in its current state is familiar with.
c) Only 6 of 16 NFL fixtures a year are divisional, i.e. guaranteed to be played against regional teams (so East coast for any potential London franchise). There would be plenty of games against West coast teams each year as well, up to 8 I think not including potential playoff appearances (NFL fixtures rotate year-on-year by divisions and seedings). However, the shorter fixture list of the NFL season does work in a potential London team's favour in this case over a potential London NRL team.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1489
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65566_1408120525.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65566.jpg

Quote: poplar panther "The M62 will eat its children.'"

Brilliant. Surely the quote of the year. k020.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Steve Mascord I suspect was wetting himself as he typed that......I know I was close to doing so reading it icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4438_1358277234.jpg
Didn't gat an answer when I asked Radford how much he paid Stokes to save his job.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4438.jpg

IMHO there will be an NFL team in London within 10 years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach111No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35774_1375305123.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35774.jpg

Quote: Paddock Punter "IMHO there will be an NFL team in London within 10 years.'"

The same predictions were made in the 1980's

Transplanting a new sport into a new country is a difficult task. Just look at the problems RL has had moving 200 miles south, albeit not a great example.

Soccer has never really made it in the US despite all their millions and a World Cup!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Paddock Punter "IMHO there will be an NFL team in London within 10 years.'"

Maybe we could ground share with them?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1034No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1034No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: rob13 "and to add to my comments

b) And why would they do that? It would cost a lot less and do them much more good to put a team in Perth instead. Something that they have failed to do.
c) This is why it won't happen. And even if it did, it would still not be comparable. The West coast of the USA isn't as far as New South Wales.

RankPostsTeam
International Star189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Hedgehog King "a) It's talk nothing more
b) & c) no, it isn't stupid to have a foreign team in a domestic league; Catalans and New Zealand are not "stupid" but what is stupid is to pretend that the logistics involved are comparable to the occasional NFL game in London or a Super Rugby game between Dunedin and Durban.

b) And why would they do that? It would cost a lot less and do them much more good to put a team in Perth instead. Something that they have failed to do.
c) This is why it won't happen. And even if it did, it would still not be comparable. The West coast of the USA isn't as far as New South Wales.'"

a) talk coming from the chief commissioner of the league no less. whether it happens or not, clearly its being "taken seriously" https://twitter.com/HubbuchNYP/status/3 ... 6229582848 www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -in-london
b & c) on the first post you've heavily misrepresented my point there, at no point have I cited anything about the occasional NFL games, only the potential of moving a franchise permanently, which is evidently something the NFL is considering if you see above. on the second post, yes there are differences in the logistics that would make an NRL move significantly more difficult which I have acknowledged, the distance being the main one, but to say there are NO similarities between a potential London NFL franchise and a potential London NRL franchise is ludicrous. again, whether the former happens or not my aim was only to point out that it is at least being taken seriously as an idea and to draw attention to the similarities between the two, im not here to debate the viability of either
Quote: Hedgehog King "a) It's talk nothing more
b) & c) no, it isn't stupid to have a foreign team in a domestic league; Catalans and New Zealand are not "stupid" but what is stupid is to pretend that the logistics involved are comparable to the occasional NFL game in London or a Super Rugby game between Dunedin and Durban.

c) This is why it won't happen. And even if it did, it would still not be comparable. The West coast of the USA isn't as far as New South Wales.'"

a) talk coming from the chief commissioner of the league no less. whether it happens or not, clearly its being "taken seriously" https://twitter.com/HubbuchNYP/status/3 ... 6229582848 www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -in-london
b & c) on the first post you've heavily misrepresented my point there, at no point have I cited anything about the occasional NFL games, only the potential of moving a franchise permanently, which is evidently something the NFL is considering if you see above. on the second post, yes there are differences in the logistics that would make an NRL move significantly more difficult which I have acknowledged, the distance being the main one, but to say there are NO similarities between a potential London NFL franchise and a potential London NRL franchise is ludicrous. again, whether the former happens or not my aim was only to point out that it is at least being taken seriously as an idea and to draw attention to the similarities between the two, im not here to debate the viability of either

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1034No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Jul 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: rob13 "a) talk coming from the chief commissioner of the league no less. whether it happens or not, clearly its being "taken seriously"
Flying to the moon and flying to Mars might have "some similarities" but just because one is viable (if difficult) doesn't mean the other is viable.

The NFL have been able to hold the occasional game in London - that's a proven fact. Yes, I get it that there is a discussion about doing more than this but it's just a discussion. It is far from certain whether it is viable from many different angles.

Steve Mascord's article goes far beyond what the NFL, with their vast resources, are pondering. The NFL don't know if the Atlantic Ocean can be crossed with this regularity by a professional sports franchise despite having a budget of millions and yet he gives no more than a couple of sentences to dismissing the logistical difficulties of a far more ambitious project with far fewer resources. That's why it is breathtakingly stupid.

And yet "thinking big" always gets applause in rugby league because there are so many dreamers.

27 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
27 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.08544921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
15m
Grand final Tickets
JIMMY MAGNET
19m