FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > London Broncos > Random rumours I heard this weekend at Broncos and Skolars
75 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: markrammond "Hello all,

These are the rumours I heard over the weekend

1) Powell retained till end of season and under 20s coach next season
2) New fitness coach from Salford City Reds is working at the club now
3) Lease on Stoop not renewed for 2013 by London Broncos
4) Caro offered contract at St Helens for 2013
5) Gower and Bailey declined Head Coach partnership tandem role
6) Skolars, RFL and other hirers of Wood Green keen to redevelop New River
7) Broncos would need to cooperate if this is to become reality

Thanks for all that.

It's often the case with player movements that rumours have subbstance in that agents or clubs converse with each other quite often. The signing is the thing that takes the longest and a club may have made an enquiry about a player and it gets out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach577No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47232_1397587565.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47232.png

Hello all,

I think the New River Stadium concept has a lot of mileage.

I'm told that the council owns the huge amount of land shown on the diagram and that there are teams leasing various space including Tottenham Hotspur and a range of Union and amateur clubs.

The council will be happy to turn over this land to be run by private enterprise. I daresay there may be a lot of reason to keep the council involved as I'd assume it is not profit making at present and bear all the costs.

London Skolars, the RFL and the other land renters are happy to move on whilst the Athletics guys seldom use the running track so that could go.

I think you could develop a Grand Stand opposite the current stand to hold several thousand more and maybe some terraces to join the two.

Whilst it might not meet the RFL criteria it wouldn't matter because we won't be removed from SL.

For me the dream combination would be a willing council with a patch of land in London plus a variety of contributors.

I don't see how any other option would get council support or the land and after squatting for decades this sounds good to me.

I know some people like the Stoop and the Bar but at £3.95 a pint I am not sure that it represents good value to the beer hungry visitors and I think these kind of price hikes in a recession can be traced to the RU club wanting more cash across the Board to sustain higher expectation.

Cheers
Rammo

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Interesting stuff.

Do many clubs back home own their own grounds? I have no idea. I am aware that over here, not many do, if any, at all. Manly for example pay Manly Warringah Council hundreds of thousands in rent a year to play there. The council also allow other events there, from Local Rugby League grand finals to public events like an agricultural show, but not in the regular NRL season.

It makes sense here that teams play away from their home stomping grounds, as stadia offer clubs good deals to play at their purpose made venues, like the Olympic Stadium or the Footy Stadium (both with their various sponsored name changes).

As we no longer have a spiritual home in Craven Cottage as such, is it such a hardship to move? Again.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach380No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The Caro to St Helens one comes from a rumour up there that they want to sign a threequarter but the threequarter is yet to agree a deal because he's not sure whether he wants to leave the area he's in now. So suggestions arose that it was a London player obviously and Sarginson, Caro and even Clubb have been suggested.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach380No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The David Hughes Memorial Stadium?

You sick (unt

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4991No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2019Jun 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/PDT19.gif
[i:11q0q8vi]Follow me on Twitter: broncoskolar@twitter.com[/i:11q0q8vi] THE KING OF BRILLIANCE- JAMES LOMAS available from: //WWW.LLPSHOP.CO.UK The UK's leading RL book publishers.:simpsons/PDT19.gif

Thanks for that, I can well believe the Dorn and Sargy rumours. If I was Sargy I would not sign a deal with the current set-up! The New River thing is interesting, the Council want to get shot of it (true), the RFL would love a base in London (true), the Broncos are looking to move (true). It would take an awful lot of cash and work to make the stadium SL standard, but let us say Spurs wanted it for their reserve games, it may just all add up. There are some on here who just don't like north London...........................

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2742No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/017.jpg
Welcome Quins Kitties born 02.04.09 - Purdo - Determined, loveable with a "can-do" attitude. A born leader. Louie - Big, white and fluffy. A very noisy prop forward. Harley- Cute and gorgeous (just like our no.9) Well, I couldn't call her Chad, could I? Update on Quins Mogs :- Purdo - deffo leader amongst Mogs. The Capo. Louie - turned out to be more like Louie Spence than LMS. Re-named Judas. Harley - Cute but not as gorgeous as our no.9. Oh well, at least I haven't got a Willy.:simpsons/017.jpg

Developing the New River would cost millions and I would say that in this economic climate, it is highly unlikely that they could raise enough money.

I put my hand up and say I don't like North London (not the part where the New River is) it's a horrid dump imo, but that wouldn't stop me going there to support my team (it would stop some of our regulars attending...but any move anywhere will reduce support initially).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach991No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

There are four stands from the Olympic Hockey Stadium which have yet to find a post-games home. Stick them on top of the athletics track and you get a brand new stadium for next to nothing.

The problem as I see it, from a development point of view, lies in having the Broncos and Skolars in the same location.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3678No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9272_1327693385.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9272.jpg

Quote: nadera78 "There are four stands from the Olympic Hockey Stadium which have yet to find a post-games home. Stick them on top of the athletics track and you get a brand new stadium for next to nothing.

The problem as I see it, from a development point of view, lies in having the Broncos and Skolars in the same location.'"

I was going to suggest that you can get temporary stands such as we had in the South Stand previously pending a new stand being built. These would have to be rented and not bought or built so removing the need for spending millions. As we are a RL club and not a Premiership soccer team we are allowed to have terracing by the RFL anyway although im not sure about the local councils view.

If its true these stands at the Olympic Hockey Stadium are freely available still then that is even better.

I also think the club know things we don't when considering this. Maybe they know we can play with a 5,000 capacity initially come the franchise situation. Im more concerned about DH's ability to finance us when he retires than these other issues as im sure there is a way round them or we would not be leaving the Stoop.(allegedly)

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4799No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif
Freedom for supporters of the government, only for members of one party - however numerous they may be - is no freedom at all. freedom is always and exclusively for one who thinks differently. Rosa Luxemburg, 'Die russiche Revolution'.:Black Backgrounds/Zoot.gif

Quote: markrammond "Hello all,

These are the rumours I heard over the weekend

1) Powell retained till end of season and under 20s coach next season
2) New fitness coach from Salford City Reds is working at the club now
3) Lease on Stoop not renewed for 2013 by London Broncos
4) Caro offered contract at St Helens for 2013
5) Gower and Bailey declined Head Coach partnership tandem role
6) Skolars, RFL and other hirers of Wood Green keen to redevelop New River
7) Broncos would need to cooperate if this is to become reality
(1) Hey-ho.
(2) Fair enough - there have been comments made by other teams' supporters about our fitness.
(3) Y-what?!? Where are we playing, then??
(4) ROFLMAO! Assuming Nathan Brown is in charge of recruiting at Saints for next season, he's lost it big time.
(5) Can you blame them?
(6-7) From this distance would seem to be worth a serious look, but I don't know the area at all.
(icon_cool.gifLooks like a good coaching team and would show that the club has some serious ambition, but I'll believe it when I see it!
(9) Dorn's probably coming to the end of his playing days anyway.
(10) For players of his age and experience, I'd question whether a long term contract's a good idea.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6679_1399761959.png
[quote="dally messenger":1gysl9ow]was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have[/quote:1gysl9ow] [quote="eels fan":1gysl9ow]You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.[/quote:1gysl9ow]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6679.png

Quote: Moe Lester "The David Hughes Memorial Stadium?

You sick (unt'"

icon_cool.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3678No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9272_1327693385.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9272.jpg

Quote: Dan Stains woz God "Some of us already knew that Sargi had turned down a longer deal and it wouldn't surprise many of us if he left at the end of this season. '"

Maybe end of 2013 when his contract expires icon_wink.gif

Quote: Dan Stains woz God "="Dan Stains woz God"
I put my hand up and say I don't like North London (not the part where the New River is) it's a horrid dump imo, but that wouldn't stop me going there to support my team (it would stop some of our regulars attending...but any move anywhere will reduce support initially).

Im not familiar with the area but ATEOTD we are not being asked to live there. As long as they make it a nice safe place for us to play in then thats fine with me and most people. Yes, we will lose some fans on this move as allways happens, but we will gain some also. Another positive i hope is that we gain more away support from cutting down their travel distance (especially in time). Hopefully if we are sharing the costs with fellow tenants it could save us a lot of money also.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7194
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2019Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

einstien said insanity is when a person does the same thing over and over again but expects a different result:

a 1000 seater stadium sounds about right for you lot icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach105No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I wonder if they have tried to get Jim Dymock. He is a bit inexperienced but did well in his short stint at Cantebury and now has some experience underneath Des Hasler who is a premiership winning coach??

As for the issue between Powell and Dorn it apparently goes back to the beginning of the pre-season. At the end of last season Powell go the senior players to get their input into planning for this year and when everyone returned apparently Powell had decided to put his own "systems" in place. The players and back-room staff werent very happy with the setup and Powell got the senior guys together to find out what was wrong and it was Dorn who spoke on behalf of the players. Dorn was pretty quickly off the senior playing group and Powell has hardly spoken to him since, apparently even when he dropped Dorn the message was delivered by one of the players.

I dont think anyone can argue the fact that Dorn is playing poorly but for me it is alarming just how many players are going backwards at a massive pace under Powell. If you look at players like Randall, Howell and Dorn, while they may not be world beaters they were all reasonable players and they have gone down hill so quickly since Powell took over. Yes they may be getting on a bit but it is also the young guys who are going backwards as well. Sargy last year was fantastic and this season looks a shadow of himself as does JOC and if Powell stays I think the same will happen to Dixon and other youngsters coming through. All of this information came from an ex player who was in London recently so I think its pretty reliable and to be honest I think its all fairly obvious to see.

The other problem with the Powell/Dorn issue is that is causing a big rift in the club between Powell and the majority of players and back-room staff (what little there is left of them now). Seems like the only one who has the coaches ear is Chris Bailey but I dont think this is news to anyone as it has been rumoured for a while.

Dorn only has a year or so to go in his career so its not going to be a major loss if he goes but I am concerned about what is going to happen to all the young guys if Powell stays on any longer. A coach should be able to get the best out of his players and if Powell could do that with this squad then we wouldn't be sitting so close to the bottom.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1649_1338292262.jpg
I have followed the LONDON CLUB since I was in my teensl even though born in St Helens and still live nearby and went to the first game at Fulham, also Big West Ham Supporter:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1649.jpg

Lets remember these are just "rumours" at present, not that I deny there may be some truth!

The very least it demonstrates that discussions may be under way and ones that may benefit the club, okay we may not agree with all of them but they are the start for real debate once substantiated, it is just becoming sad whatever the club may do now one and perhaps another few will never now agree with anything the club may say or put forward, but at the same time feel every statement they make is completely correct and has no faults at all.

Powell going to coaching such as the Under 20's is a possibility. only yesterday LMS in an article was praising the way he was developed before leaving and we have seen this with other young players, the new line up of coaching staff sounds interesting and I look forward to hearing more. You can understand perhaps that position with Gower currently and his decision has to be respected, he is giving the club first class service on the pitch at present. Regards Dan Sarginson, he has such potential, but as I stated with agents in another thread he wants to think carefully what is best for him now and not short term gain.

The Stoop, and what future there may be, this is going to disappoint some! as they will never see any wrong with it as a venue for us to play, but several press stories seem to be circulating only released today how the on the road matches were relatively successful!

I just think we need to see what does develop but we should all agree some action has to be taken.

Quote: rumours "a 1000 seater stadium sounds about right for you lot
This comes from a City that had to buy another Club just to keep it's place! how sad! icon_lol.gif

75 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
75 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.16796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
ComeOnYouUll
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM