JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

Quote: markrammond "In the forwards, Powell's decision to allow our best British Prop from last season in Wilko to go to Wakefield whilst signing the ineligible Hickey and retaining the injury-prone Temata looks barking mad. Similarly he was unable to negotiate a contract with the fast, young and dynamic British Hooker Andy Ellis but instead ended up with two overseas veterans with little in front of them. Like McDermott before him he seems very capable of finding second rowers who attract injuries like dung does flies or whom do a disappearing act. The expensively acquired pack looks only marginally stronger than last season because the extra size has come at the expense of speed and workrate.

So I think that Powell has been profligate with David Hughes' money,'"

Nice rant. You're entitled to your opinion. The Widnes loss was a shocker. No defending that.

However, the problem with a good rant is that if it includes factual errors, then it undermines the whole piece.

1) Temata was not given a new contract by Powell.
2) Ellis took the decision to leave, he wasn't kicked out.
3) The coach is not involved in the vetting and paperwork of any signing. That's why there is an office. The admin f*cked up over Hickey. That's a CEO responsibility, not the coach.
4) If you think that Hughes signs blank cheques and hands the chequebook over to his coaches, then you know a lot less about the way Broncos operate than you claim to do. Hughes has a very large amount of input into the signings.

The rest of the rant you can keep. I think your opinion is wrong, but it's opinion. The above are factual errors. If you're basing your opinions on such errors, then you need to revisit your opinions.

Now, I wonder if someone will come along in a mo with some pithy keyboard-warrior stuff ?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12169No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10696_1330181301.jpg
london RL: scraping the barrel:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10696.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "Nice rant. You're entitled to your opinion. The Widnes loss was a shocker. No defending that.
'"

I was wondering when you'd appear. Getting harder and harder to defend Powell, isn't it?

I don't see any possible way Powell can continue. He's the wrong man and everyone knows it. the corrections you've made notwithstanding, he simply has to go. He's not up to it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach477No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45332.png
www.combatstress.org.uk - "They fight ours wars. We fight their battles":45332.png

Like it or loathe it Bronco's are stuck with Rob Powell until at least the end of his contract.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5480No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg
[img:2penstlp]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5994/saints7sk.gif[/img:2penstlp] "...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. ":187.jpg

Quote: The Penguin "I was wondering when you'd appear. Getting harder and harder to defend Powell, isn't it?

I don't see any possible way Powell can continue. He's the wrong man and everyone knows it. the corrections you've made notwithstanding, he simply has to go. He's not up to it.'"

As I said, I disagree with that opinion, but there's no doubt that something's not working atm. I just take the view that it's down to rather more than simply the coach.

Anyway, as Simmons discovered at Saints, ultimately the coach of any sport is held responsible for results. Inescapable. Also inescapable that Broncos' results have been below expectations given the much-vaunted claim that they're spending up to the cap this year. It's a tough time for everyone - supporters, club staff, players, owner and coach. Tough enough, without blaming the poor bugger for off-field issues which are transparently not his doing.

Supporters are entitled to their opinions. I don't have to like those opinions, and you don't have to like mine. What I don't like is when different opinions prompt personal abuse. That pack mentality which turns aggressively against any sort of difference is not healthy.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member20315No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2760_1608132744.jpg
[quote="king warrior":2yifc012]Dave do us a favour and gtfo you wopper[/quote:2yifc012]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2760.jpg

Your posts are painful to read. However, I haven't seen any aggression on here whatsoever, I think that's all in your head because 95% of the forum disagrees with you. And like you have alluded to, that's just tough really and everyone has to get on with it rather than being hyper sensitive about things.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach577No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2022Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47232_1397587565.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47232.png

Hello Roy

It is always a pleasure to hear from you.

I know Karl Temata and he was granted a one year extension by Powell. The negotiation wasn't concluded until the end of the season but he was in talks and told me on the plane to Catalans. I like Karl but at 34 was not a better bet than Wilko who wanted 3 years.

Andy Ellis was offered a deal very early in the season but chose to wait for a better offer. After a while the offer was withdrawn without a further negotiation. This was not expected by Andy. Good communications were missing and I suspect the CEO was at least partly responsible. I know Andy also and that was his view. It doesn't justify the re-signing of Randall or Rinaldi either.

David Hughes works full time in South Kensington near my wife's former workplace so he would not be full time in admin or rubber stamping so cannot be blamed for Powell's folly. Powell surely knows the backgrounds of all the players as he has been at the club since January 2007 and before then as a helper before McGrath quit.

Hickey is an Australian trained in Australia there is no ambiguity but if there was any doubt releasing Randall instead of offering 2 more years was the sensible option, as with regret Howell had more contract

Easy brother
Rammo

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg

Quote: Dave Lister "Your posts are painful to read. However, I haven't seen any aggression on here whatsoever, I think that's all in your head because 95% of the forum disagrees with you. And like you have alluded to, that's just tough really and everyone has to get on with it rather than being hyper sensitive about things.'"

Beyond satire. icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Oct 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
187.jpg

Quote: markrammond "Hello Roy

It is always a pleasure to hear from you.

I know Karl Temata and he was granted a one year extension by Powell. The negotiation wasn't concluded until the end of the season but he was in talks and told me on the plane to Catalans. I like Karl but at 34 was not a better bet than Wilko who wanted 3 years.

Andy Ellis was offered a deal very early in the season but chose to wait for a better offer. After a while the offer was withdrawn without a further negotiation. This was not expected by Andy. Good communications were missing and I suspect the CEO was at least partly responsible. I know Andy also and that was his view. It doesn't justify the re-signing of Randall or Rinaldi either.

David Hughes works full time in South Kensington near my wife's former workplace so he would not be full time in admin or rubber stamping so cannot be blamed for Powell's folly. Powell surely knows the backgrounds of all the players as he has been at the club since January 2007 and before then as a helper before McGrath quit.

Hickey is an Australian trained in Australia there is no ambiguity but if there was any doubt releasing Randall instead of offering 2 more years was the sensible option, as with regret Howell had more contract

Easy brother
Rammo'"

I think you underestimate the role David Hughes plays in player recruitment and retention - not the admin, but the decisions. Not a surprise given it's basically his money.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2760_1608132744.jpg
[quote="king warrior":2yifc012]Dave do us a favour and gtfo you wopper[/quote:2yifc012]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2760.jpg

Quote: Roy Haggerty "Beyond satire.
icon_confused.gif:

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's clear that bot Roy and mark have a good understanding about the club and the game itself. 95% of people disagree with Roy. So he's the bad guy apparently. If people could try and divorce themselves from the emotion behind it all, they may see that what he says isn't actually as bad as they may think it is. As for Andy Ellis. I have to say I am aware of much, much worse both here in Oz and indeed with London Broncos/Quins in the past. Think about it rationally and not emotionally. He was offered something. HE chose not to take it straight away. The club withdraw any offer. He could have taken it, he chose not to on first offering. He missed out. Is that good management or bad management?

I know players over here who'd love to be offered a contract early on in a season. The best example of which is Vic Mauro. Vic had just won a premiership and played in the Grand Final for Manly. He only got to sign a new contract during this off season.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5087
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1428_1671282854.png
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-HziERgfk:p2kbb0c5]Gus Mackay we salute you!![/url:p2kbb0c5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1428.png

Quote: Rooster Booster " As for Andy Ellis. I have to say I am aware of much, much worse both here in Oz and indeed with London Broncos/Quins in the past. Think about it rationally and not emotionally. He was offered something. HE chose not to take it straight away. The club withdraw any offer. He could have taken it, he chose not to on first offering. He missed out. Is that good management or bad'"

With the benefit of hindsight we could probably have retained Andy Ellis if the management's communication had been better. In my opinion this is bad management, especially when considering the options we do have at hooker.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman7155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: jbuzza "With the benefit of hindsight we could probably have retained Andy Ellis if the management's communication had been better. In my opinion this is bad management, especially when considering the options we do have at hooker.'"

But you're using hindsight. Put yourself in the club's shoes at that time of happening. The geezer didn't want to sign for us straight away. What message would you take from that?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5087
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1428_1671282854.png
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-HziERgfk:p2kbb0c5]Gus Mackay we salute you!![/url:p2kbb0c5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1428.png

Quote: Rooster Booster "But you're using hindsight. Put yourself in the club's shoes at that time of happening. The geezer didn't want to sign for us straight away. What message would you take from that?'"

That he was a promising young player with ambitions to advance his career at a bigger club. We need to be prepared to fight to retain such talent and not get the hump when they take their time to look for other options. It could be argued that what transpired was an outcome where both sides lost out.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Jan 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2760_1608132744.jpg

Quote: jbuzza "
Quote: jbuzza "But you're using hindsight. Put yourself in the club's shoes at that time of happening. The geezer didn't want to sign for us straight away. What message would you take from that?'"

That he was a promising young player with ambitions to advance his career at a bigger club. We need to be prepared to fight to retain such talent and not get the hump when they take their time to look for other options. It could be argued that what transpired was an outcome where both sides lost out.'"

Spot on. Hardly the first time and by no means the last time a player has had the gall to consider his options rather than sign the first deal put in front of him. I don't think Ellis lost out much, he had probably worked out by the end of the season what was going on (see Mark Rammonds summary of which rounds we were defeated in) and didn't want to stifle his career by working under such a poor coach.

77 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
77 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.79833984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC